• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

And so it begins: Chicago Trib mentions Bryce for Northwestern coach

Started by valpopal, March 17, 2012, 10:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eaglebackr

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 26, 2012, 06:56:15 PMEB: a direct link to a specific article reporting that he is interviewing with TU, not a google summary.  I'm not spending meaningful minutes in my day chasing down your wild goose chase.

Oh. My. Gosh.

That was a joke.

Because I'M "not spending meaningful minutes in my day chasing down" the future of YOUR basketball coach.

I'm just trying to figure out where Bryce Drew ranks in the TU search, in hopes of determining whether ORU might lose Scott Sutton to our inter-city rival.

Based on what I found (or more accurately, DIDN'T find) on your forum this morning, you might not have even known about Bryce-to-Tulsa by now if I hadn't told you.

As for the rest, you're on your own.

StlVUFan

I saw that article.  It's got nothing about him interviewing, just that they want him.  It might be a safe guess, but I have yet to see an overt report of that detail.

EB:  This is your story so far, nothing more.  It's a whole lot of nothing until I get more info.  I'm not going into some panic on a mere rumor from a troll.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 26, 2012, 08:31:04 PMI'm not going into some panic on a mere rumor from a troll.

damn it. we had just gotten rid of one, now another creeps out of the woodwork.

Eaglebackr

*sigh*

I wasn't expecting a ticker-tape parade, but come on - "a troll"? 

I HAVEN'T BEEN ON HERE IN YEARS!!

I didn't even know you had switched forum providers - was really wondering why no one had posted on the old board since 2010 or whenever it was.

But, hey - that's fine.  It's all good.  Just wondered what you guys might happen to know about the topic; never dreamed it would be breaking news on here.

If I hear anything else about Bryce coming to Tulsa, I guess I'll just save it for Twitter...

valpotx

I don't mind OldTitan/Eaglebackr coming on here to provide this information.  I know that he fanned the flames in the past, but it didn't look like his intent this time around.  Now, he admits on the ORU board that he likes to 'poke us,' but I would say I would like to do the same thing to ORU fans after only winning 1-2 games against them in my 4 years of baseball...they don't like us because we consistently won in basketball in the Mid-Con, just like I don't like their baseball team because they consistently beat us  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: Eaglebackr on March 26, 2012, 11:18:25 PM
*sigh*

Of the 2 posters who referred to you as a troll (which of course you're not), nerd is a young VU grad and great fan but probably wasn't around for our Mid Con days.  Personally, I think of you as a worthy adversary from days gone by. You used to drive Rick absolutely bonkers, and it was pretty entertaining.  Anyway, you're right.  None of us had a clue about this Tulsa thing until you brought it to our attention.  Whether Tulsa actually has Bryce on a wish list or it's just one sports writer's fantasy or whether Bryce actually has any interest, we'll just have to stay tuned.  Please let us know if you learn of more developments.

StlVUFan

Folks, I am not talking about the general news that TU is interested in Bryce.  That is real news I wouldn't have been aware of, had EB not let us know.

However, EB just had to throw in a little tweak with his line about Bryce actually having an interview scheduled with TU - a bit of non-news at this point, in spite of the word "reportedly".  My question, "reported by whom" was met with a joke reply, which is par for the course.  Until I see confirmation of that tidbit, I remain firm in my position, which is to not take that part seriously.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: wh on March 27, 2012, 07:14:27 AM
Quote from: Eaglebackr on March 26, 2012, 11:18:25 PM
*sigh*

Of the 2 posters who referred to you as a troll (which of course you're not), nerd is a young VU grad and great fan but probably wasn't around for our Mid Con days.  Personally, I think of you as a worthy adversary from days gone by. You used to drive Rick absolutely bonkers, and it was pretty entertaining.  Anyway, you're right.  None of us had a clue about this Tulsa thing until you brought it to our attention.  Whether Tulsa actually has Bryce on a wish list or it's just one sports writer's fantasy or whether Bryce actually has any interest, we'll just have to stay tuned.  Please let us know if you learn of more developments.

close - i was a freshman in 06-07, our last year in the mid-con. and i think i vaguely remember eaglebackr from the old board. and i don't know that what i wrote clearly stated my opinion. don't get me wrong, the part about our recently departed under-bridge dweller was true, but i try to allow people to generally build a larger resume before i bust out that tag. backr, i'd like to apologize for what i wrote, and doing so in a way that was so unclear to my real meaning.

StlVUFan

I don't mind standing alone on that front, nerd.  I go way back, and nothing I saw changed, but if you weren't around back in his heyday of stirring things up around here or if you saw it differently, I don't mind if you don't back me up :)

valporun

Eaglebackr was a pot stirrer back in the day. I felt a lot of his posts were meant to draw up come banter with our opposing schools, which it obviously did, considering how many of us went over to the ORU board and made comments there, and then brought those opinions back to the Voy board or the Proforums board before this one to keep the discussion going. I definitely have no problems with EB posting here, as he tended to add some things. I think we're just caught up in all the coaching changes and conference jumping talk to really sit back and think about what is going on in NCAA basketball, and how it is widely neglecting the future of the student in this country that just happens to only be at their respective institution because they happen to be 6'7", and can play basketball.

Valpo89

I love the reappearance of the EagleBackr. Glad you found the board.
I also wondered about how our old pal HugeORUFan was doing as well.
Honestly, I totally stopped paying attention to anything ORU has done since Valpo left the Mid-Con.
Didn't know about BD being chased by Tulsa, so it was good to see the link to the Tulsa World. In one of the photos, Scott Sutton's hair appears to be quite gray. :)
All the trips to the Dakota's, Oakland and Soutern Utah must have taken quite a toll.

Eaglebackr

You guys crack me up.

Latest rumor, via Al Jerkins on 'The Sports Animal" sports talk radio in Tulsa:  Bryce is the recommendation of the professional search firm hired by TU a couple of weeks ago.

It was thought all weekend that Bryce would interview Monday, but apparently that didn't happen for some reason - no one seems to know if that's because he isn't/never was interested, or if TU has simply decided to go another direction.

Danny Manning, assistant at Kansas, seems to be gathering some traction, and Bryce's name isn't coming up near as much now as it was a few days ago, so it looks pretty good for you guys keeping your coach.

Meanwhile, ORU's Scott Sutton is now being mentioned for the vacated Kansas State job, so I'm off to irritate some Wildcats on their message board.

Peace...

valpospartan

Don't let the door hit you in the butt, EB.
I for one didn't like you in the past, an opinion that hasn't changed.

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 27, 2012, 08:22:26 AM
Folks, I am not talking about the general news that TU is interested in Bryce.  That is real news I wouldn't have been aware of, had EB not let us know.

However, EB just had to throw in a little tweak with his line about Bryce actually having an interview scheduled with TU - a bit of non-news at this point, in spite of the word "reportedly".  My question, "reported by whom" was met with a joke reply, which is par for the course.  Until I see confirmation of that tidbit, I remain firm in my position, which is to not take that part seriously.

Well, we are all glad you are not wasting your precious time on chasing EB's "reported" rumors about Bryce having an interview at Tulsa.
;)

valpotx

Well, he didn't interview at Tulsa, but DID interview with Mississippi State on Monday!  ESPN reports he was supposed to speak with Tulsa on Tuesday, but wasn't interested in coaching at Tulsa, as we figured.  This MSU interview has me much more worried, as they can provide a much better overall package and structure than Tulsa.  Hopefully just some feeling out on his part for a few years from now.  Doesn't an administration have to approve of other schools contacting their coaches under contract?  I know that you don't want to stand in the way of someone's career, but losing 2 Drews after one season each?  Seems like we are being used if this happens...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7745899/mississippi-state-bulldogs-interview-bryce-drew-valparaiso-crusaders-sources-say
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo04

Quote from: valpotx on March 28, 2012, 02:05:57 AM
Well, he didn't interview at Tulsa, but DID interview with Mississippi State on Monday!  ESPN reports he was supposed to speak with Tulsa on Tuesday, but wasn't interested in coaching at Tulsa, as we figured.  This MSU interview has me much more worried, as they can provide a much better overall package and structure than Tulsa.  Hopefully just some feeling out on his part for a few years from now.  Doesn't an administration have to approve of other schools contacting their coaches under contract?  I know that you don't want to stand in the way of someone's career, but losing 2 Drews after one season each?  Seems like we are being used if this happens...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7745899/mississippi-state-bulldogs-interview-bryce-drew-valparaiso-crusaders-sources-say

Oh boy, wouldn't that heat up things between them and Ole Miss!

wh

Assuming the story is true, this is a VERY sobering development.  Clearly, Bryce is open to new coaching opportunities.  Heck, we don't even know but what he initiated the contact  with MSU (directly or indirectly).  Even if nothing materializes from this, I think it's likely only a matter of time and Bryce will be headed for greener pastures.  If next season unfolds the way we all think it will, his stock will only continue to rise.

Pgmado

Looks like Eaglebackr deserves an apology from some people :)

hoopfan22

StlVUFan

I never disputed that Bryce was scheduled to interview at Tulsa.

I disputed that it had been *reported*.  It had not been.

Now, it has been.

mj

I assume Bryce won't be leaving now, considering he's bringing a back a team full of seniors coming off a league championship. But I could definitely see him leaving after that. Even if he intends to stick around for 4 or 5 years, I think he would still have to go through the song and dance of interviewing with other teams every off season, just to avoid people thinking he'll be like Homer and stick to one place.   
I believe that we will win.

elephtheria47

Some MSU people are expecting an announcement in the next 24 hours. will be interesting if it plays out like that...

valpopal

Unlike Tulsa, this position is one Bryce would have to consider since it is a good program in a prominent conference. Interviewing for this also raises his profile, whether he is hired or not. In addition, on a personal note, Bryce's wife is from nearby Jackson MS, where I believe her parents still live.

My hope is that Bryce returns to Valpo with more leverage to be used for pushing further developments to the program and its facilities by VU.

bbtds

Starkville is a most interesting situation. The town of Starkville is 24,000. MSU is 23,000 grad & undergrad students. MSU is larger than Ole Miss. The town of Mississippi State, MS officially lies next to Starkville on the east and includes only university property.

It's an hour from I-55, 2 hours from the state capital of Jackson, 1.5 hours from Tuscaloosa, AL, 3 hours from Birmingham and 3 hours from Memphis. Basically nothing like Valpo.

I only put this in to get a feel for the uniqueness of the demographics at MSU: Starkville is 65% White, 30% African American with smaller minorities making up the other 5%. The university is 71% White, 20% African-American, 9% other minorities.

Outside of MSU the biggest attraction is Noxubee Wildlife Refuge Park, which offers innumerable fishing , boating, and wildlife viewing opportunities.