• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

And so it begins: Chicago Trib mentions Bryce for Northwestern coach

Started by valpopal, March 17, 2012, 10:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Hmm, not surprised.  He has a cushy situation at VCU, and is still paid $1.2+ million each year.  You get on the hot seat at Illinois every few years if you are not making the Final Four.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Its not always about the money. I hope we can say the same thing when the time comes.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

ValpoHoops

ESPN reporting that Bill Cormondy will be back with Northwestern next year.

FWalum

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 22, 2012, 12:31:05 PM
ESPN reporting that Bill Cormondy will be back with Northwestern next year.
I think that is the right choice.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Things might get confusing at NW what with Bill Carmody now having to exist with Bill Cormondy.

In all seriousness, ValpoTX is right.  Bryce and Scott are two completely different things.  I went to HS with Bryce, and this is where he grew up--high school, then college.  Scott didn't...Valpo was more of a job to him...not a knock, just the truth.

Bryce, however, is more like his dad--who never moved up when he had the chance ('98 especially).  They have a home here; his parents are here for the long run.  It would have to be an amazing offer and not for several years yet.  (me, I'm hoping for never. :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpo89

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 22, 2012, 04:11:44 PM
Things might get confusing at NW what with Bill Carmody now having to exist with Bill Cormondy.

In all seriousness, ValpoTX is right.  Bryce and Scott are two completely different things.  I went to HS with Bryce, and this is where he grew up--high school, then college.  Scott didn't...Valpo was more of a job to him...not a knock, just the truth.

Bryce, however, is more like his dad--who never moved up when he had the chance ('98 especially).  They have a home here; his parents are here for the long run.  It would have to be an amazing offer and not for several years yet.  (me, I'm hoping for never. :)
This may be the best post ever by Crusader03 ... er ... LaPorteAveApostle.

LaPorteAveApostle

Since that is the second reference to me being someone else, when I couldn't possibly be, since I just found out about this website two days ago, I decided to scour these message boards (which thankfully doesn't take long).  I found this "crusader03" whining about Keith Freeman before disappearing.  Shortly thereafter, I start posting, and we all know correlation implies causation...oh wait, what? It doesn't?

You're kidding, right?  If you think i'm the new version of anyone else, then you're wrong. Any admin can back me up.  It's insulting on multiple levels--for one, this other guy's writing betrays that he couldn't carry my water intellectually--but it's inhospitable.  I thought this might be a more fun site than MGoBlog because it would necessarily be more manageable size-wise, and therefore hospitable--but if it's going to be narrow-minded and provincial, and, astoundingly, less personable than the largest team-specific site on the web, then you can keep on posting for the same twelve people, and chasing off anyone who tries to join.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

valporun

LaPorte, the avatar pic you have is of University Historian/Archivist Mel Doering from his days as the Uhlan mascot.

LaPorteAveApostle

Thanks!  That makes me feel better.

I was hoping someone would guess, and guess correctly, but I will share in the interest of good will.

That is my former boss in the VU Archives, Melvin Doering '51 (?ish) (Valpo Athletics Hall of Fame 2002) serving as the live Mascot in the early days.  Back cover of the 1953 Football Media Guide!

I don't know that any of us could hope to be as big of Crusader fans--or as instrumental in their success--as that great man was (and hopefully still is).  What a great man!

EDIT:  YES!!!!!  THANK YOU VALPO RUN!  My faith in this board is restored!

valporun

As long as Mel Doering is still alive, and telling stories of Valparaiso University of yester-year, he will continue to be the biggest of Crusader fans.

agibson

Supporting the "reincarnation" meme is the fact that someone used the same avatar on the last incarnation of this board.

I can't quite place who it was...  did they make the transition, but switch avatars?  Or not (initially?) make the transition?

But, I suppose, all of this really belongs "Off Topic" some place.

LaPorteAveApostle

That is funny.  I "settled" for the great Mel D because I couldn't find a digitized picture of the great Jim Ford anywhere (when I was in junior high I tried mightily to style my hair like him.  sad, i know.)

valpo04

Quote from: agibson on March 23, 2012, 11:03:22 AM
Supporting the "reincarnation" meme is the fact that someone used the same avatar on the last incarnation of this board.

I can't quite place who it was...  did they make the transition, but switch avatars?  Or not (initially?) make the transition?

But, I suppose, all of this really belongs "Off Topic" some place.

I was thinking the same thing and actually did a quick search to see who else had that avatar but no luck.

I can vouch for LaPorte... he is *not* a reincarnation. 

crusaderjoe

LaPorteAveApostle

Thank you, valpo04, very much.  Now back to VU sports. (TD?)

Maybe a "Mel Appreciation Thread" is now in order : )

valporun

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 23, 2012, 11:10:52 AMMaybe a "Mel Appreciation Thread" is now in order : )

In the threads about the university, for sure. While he does fit in the athletics threads, a lot of people here would wonder why he was being discussed there.

Eaglebackr

Hey, kids - miss me??

Rumors running hot and heavy around town that Bryce Drew is high on the short list for the vacant University of Tulsa job, and may be interviewing today.  Others who are considered serious prospects include ORU head coach Scott Sutton, Kansas assistant Danny Manning, and University of Central Oklahoma head coach Terry Evans.

What say ye:  Would Bryce be willing to take the job, for somewhere around 400K a year?

vu72

Quote from: Eaglebackr on March 26, 2012, 09:19:51 AM
Hey, kids - miss me??

Rumors running hot and heavy around town that Bryce Drew is high on the short list for the vacant University of Tulsa job, and may be interviewing today.  Others who are considered serious prospects include ORU head coach Scott Sutton, Kansas assistant Danny Manning, and University of Central Oklahoma head coach Terry Evans.

What say ye:  Would Bryce be willing to take the job, for somewhere around 400K a year?

I'd fall off my chair.  I'd say no chance was the only chance.  Seems like a lateral move and not that much more money.  After we make it to the Sweet Sixteen next year, his options will increase dramatically.   ;)

And backr, how do you feel about the step down in conferences?  Seems like a sure 15 seed to me...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Eaglebackr

Quote from: vu72 on March 26, 2012, 09:26:12 AM
Quote from: Eaglebackr on March 26, 2012, 09:19:51 AMHey, kids - miss me?? Rumors running hot and heavy around town that Bryce Drew is high on the short list for the vacant University of Tulsa job, and may be interviewing today.  Others who are considered serious prospects include ORU head coach Scott Sutton, Kansas assistant Danny Manning, and University of Central Oklahoma head coach Terry Evans. What say ye:  Would Bryce be willing to take the job, for somewhere around 400K a year?
I'd fall off my chair.  I'd say no chance was the only chance.  Seems like a lateral move and not that much more money.  After we make it to the Sweet Sixteen next year, his options will increase dramatically.   ;) And backr, how do you feel about the step down in conferences?  Seems like a sure 15 seed to me...

ORU has been trying to get into a Texas-based conference for over 40 years.  I don't care who we're playing - I'm just glad I don't have to drive to South Dakota for our conference tournament with snow chains on my car.

Within five years, the teams in the Southland will throw every available resource into their athletic programs, just to complete with ORU.  If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that NOBODY likes losing to li'l ol' Oral Roberts.  Sure fire way to get your coach fired, and your alumni to donate.

Back on topic:  is there a price tag at which Bryce would take the job?  TU fans are all agog, and seem to think he's the second coming...of Scott Drew.

bbtds

Quote from: Eaglebackr on March 26, 2012, 09:35:42 AM
Quote from: vu72 on March 26, 2012, 09:26:12 AM
Quote from: Eaglebackr on March 26, 2012, 09:19:51 AMHey, kids - miss me?? Rumors running hot and heavy around town that Bryce Drew is high on the short list for the vacant University of Tulsa job, and may be interviewing today.  Others who are considered serious prospects include ORU head coach Scott Sutton, Kansas assistant Danny Manning, and University of Central Oklahoma head coach Terry Evans. What say ye:  Would Bryce be willing to take the job, for somewhere around 400K a year?
I'd fall off my chair.  I'd say no chance was the only chance.  Seems like a lateral move and not that much more money.  After we make it to the Sweet Sixteen next year, his options will increase dramatically.   ;) And backr, how do you feel about the step down in conferences?  Seems like a sure 15 seed to me...

ORU has been trying to get into a Texas-based conference for over 40 years.  I don't care who we're playing - I'm just glad I don't have to drive to South Dakota for our conference tournament with snow chains on my car.

Within five years, the teams in the Southland will throw every available resource into their athletic programs, just to complete with ORU.  If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that NOBODY likes losing to li'l ol' Oral Roberts.  Sure fire way to get your coach fired, and your alumni to donate.

Back on topic:  is there a price tag at which Bryce would take the job?  TU fans are all agog, and seem to think he's the second coming...of Scott Drew.

The University of Tulsa is a private, non-sectarian institution that is formally related to the Presbyterian Church (USA) by a mutually articulated covenant with the Synod of the Sun.

http://www.utulsa.edu/about-TU/HistoryofTU.aspx

It really doesn't fit the Drews in any way.

Also do they call it TU because those are the first 2 letters in Tulsa??????

I like that name "Synod of the Sun."  Maybe if they change the name to the "Sunland" Conference you'll get more recruits. Or they'll think it's in Florida. 
Conference of the Sun? League of the Sun? Fun in the Sun Conference? Sun Life Conference? Conferences can reap large revenues from naming rights of conferences?
Horizon Bank Conference? Summit Brewing Company Conference?
Conferences wouldn't have to call themselves "BIG" anymore.
Oscar Meyer Weiner Conference? Midwest Industries Conference? Farmland Dairies Conference?
Allstate Conference? State Farm Conference? Wells Fargo Conference? Caterpillar Conference? Amerigroup Conference? Symantec Conference? Southwest Airlines Conference? No Charge for two 50+ RPI teams (better known as baggage)  ;D

valpotx

Absolutely no chance that he leaves for the University of Tulsa, are you kidding me?  A traditional underperformer in basketball is not going to draw Bryce away.  It would take a solid basketball school with at least some type of recent success.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Tulsa fans and media can speculate all they want.  I would lose a lot of respect for Bryce if he left for a program like Tulsa lol
"Don't mess with Texas"