• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What about next year?? - Lavonte Dority added

Started by vu72, March 18, 2012, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on March 23, 2012, 10:02:10 AMI think the morality of it might depend on how it's sold to a player.  Do you tell an, obviously still developing, big man that he's your starter for the next four years?  Or do you let him know that you'll do your best to help him develop, that he'll have to earn playing time in practice like everyone else, and we'll see how it goes?  Maybe you point to previous players who have succeeded, maybe you tell him you think he looks to have a high ceiling (if he does).  I don't think that's any kind of commitment to be "the man" for four years, nor that he'll be happy at Valpo for four years.  And, indeed, it might not even be a commitment to a scholarship for four years.

Perhaps, but given the trend among BCS schools--that, like the $2K stipend, sets a bar the rest of us will either meet, or fail to and further separate ourselves--that scholarships are becoming four-year deals, rather than one-year renewables, scholarships are becoming four-year commitments.  And I'm fine with that--I think we owe it to protect the kids, who have more to lose than a large university.  You're right in that there are better ways to handle it than others, but dear Lord, let's please not start becoming the BBall version of Alabama (cf. "St. Saban Memorial Hospital").
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

univ of san fran is getting hit hard by transfers -- 6, including a pair of junior starters are departing from the program.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/23/SP301NP9DU.DTL

i know he'd have to sit out a year, but perris blackwell could be interesting, if we could lure him in. the last two years, he's averaged at least 10pts and 6 1/2 reb per game. and at 6-9/240, there's some solid size there that could help.

valpotx

Geez, that is terrible!  I wonder what the issue is, as I think Walters would have recruited everyone in the program by now?
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on March 23, 2012, 12:13:13 PMGeez, that is terrible!  I wonder what the issue is, as I think Walters would have recruited everyone in the program by now?

Let's hope it's as simple as he's told them he's taking another job...except that almost always the announcements would have happened in the reverse order.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

I think some clarification on the "Witt thing" might be helpful here.  The fact is the Cam is still getting a full ride at Valpo.  That comittment was being met inspite of the fact that scholarships are year to year.  My understanding is that Cam just wasn't as interested in putting in the time and effort to improve.  He has a girl friend etc.  So, what is the coaching staff to do?  A player has shown a lack of effort or desire but nonetheless, we are obligated to a four year full ride?  The compromise was very fair.  Cam got to finish his degree and the basketball team got to add a player with more skills.  Seems fair to me.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 22, 2012, 03:32:29 PM
Lost in all the Dority talk here, it seems that before this the talk was all about the schollie going to a big or a SF.

Now it's gone to a point guard, and one whose HS coach said
"Talking to Coach Drew, he said he needed a point guard, and that's exactly what he is," Robinson said. "He's very unselfish, but he can score when you need him to. He's very strong, has a good feel to him." (since I'm a n00b I can't post external links, but it's the Post-Trib's article on the transfer)

How is this not a slap in the face to Buggs?  Is it spun as they needed another one BESIDES him, or literally, they needed one with an outside shot?
I really did not think that after the addition of Fernandez and Capobianco we needed another big with this scholarship.  If we look at the bad losses that we had to the Summit League teams there is a theme that runs through those games, and that theme is Buggs in early foul trouble, fouling out of the game playing no more then 23 minutes.

IPFW - Third foul with almost 6 minutes left in the first half.  Plays only 19 minutes and fouls out of game.
Oakland - Third foul 1:30 into second half. Fourth foul with about 15 minutes left in 2nd half.  Fouls out of game only playing 15 minutes.
IUPUI - Started out pretty good with Erik getting first foul with only 4:30 to go in the 1st half.  Second foul came 15 seconds into second half with third foul less then 2 minutes later.  Fourth foul came with 9:35 remaining and he fouls out with 6:36 left in the game. 
Dority IMHO is the last piece of the puzzle, this allows Harris to stay at the 2 and gives us another point that can distribute, defend and perhaps score a little.  Bryce and the coaching staff made a great pick up and got us exactly what we needed.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 23, 2012, 11:25:15 AMuniv of san fran is getting hit hard by transfers -- 6, including a pair of junior starters are departing from the program.
Very strange.... even the way Walters sounds in the article seems a little odd.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Hey--I realize now that this was not the way to dispel whatever remaining "crusader03" comparisons might still be out there--but I submitted a "Hello" post (think MGoBlog) for Dority.  Here's a preview, sans the link brigade.  I don't know how these things work, but I guess I'll see.  Thanks to those who welcomed me to this board.

As already announced, Chicago Foreman product LaVonte Dority is transferring to Valpo after originally playing for the University of South Florida.  ESPN lists him as 6'1", 185; Rivals as 6'0", 180; Scout, 6'0", 185.  USF originally listed him as 6'0", 180; this year, 6'1", 195.  Consensus: Mike Jones-sized, just with drastically different hair (HS and college versions).  A highly ranked point guard coming out of high school, Dority will get two more years in a better environment to realize his admittedly excellent potential.

At Edwin G. Foreman High, he was one of four D-I signees (all co-captains) on a team (Mike McCall/St Louis; Tommy Woolridge/Eastern Illinois; Eddie Denard/UIC) that went 26-4 their senior year.  Undefeated in the vaunted Public League (10-0), they were ranked #256 in the nation at one time (#12 in Illinois), but lost to Whitney Young in the sectional final.  Region fans will note that they defeated Gary West Side 60-48 in their lone game against non-Illinois schools.

Dority's numbers on the year: 12.9 PPG (second on team), 4.5 APG (2nd) , 2.8 RPG , 1.8 SPG.  Shooting percentages: 45%/2, 36%/3, 72%/FT.  Of note is that he acquired just 1.75 fouls a game.  His AAU team was the Chicago Elite.  (Note: his USF bio claims greatly inflated stats but looking at his game-by-game box score, he only broke 20 points maybe twice--some games not listed.)  Of some import is a AST to TO ratio of around 2.35 (again, not all games included).

vuweathernerd

we could certainly use another player that can hold onto the ball. one of matt kenney's biggest (and maybe THE biggest, depending on who you talk to) problems is the turnovers that he gives away. great kid, but you have to be a couple moves ahead, like in chess, when you have the ball. especially when you drive the lane and get turned around. he frequently coughed the ball up in the air because he didn't know what he wanted to do with the ball until it was too late. the more i read about this kid, the more i think he's going to be a key cog in the wheel for this team when he starts playing.

let's assume that, even if he gets his degree, he isn't immediately eligible (which, given the ncaa, may be a safe bet). even if he becomes eligible at the semester point, are we gonna try to hold him out the full year, in order to get two complete seasons from him? or do we try to get him into the fold immediately, knowing that his 2 seasons just essentially became 1 1/2?

vu72

If he is the missing cog in a chance to make a run to and in the tournament, then I think we have to use him next year.  The following year will in all likelihood be a rebuilding year although we will have Dority, Capo, Vashil, a couple of Indiana All Stars and the other new guy plus probably some other transfers.  I still think we will make a run next year.  How many teams will be starting five seniors?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

lowposter

Gotta be really careful these days about transfers and how their eligibility/graduation projects down the years.  Otherwise you lose a year of value (Brandon Wood).  My guess is more and more schools will really watch this and use it to their advantage and attempt to keep their players the full time.

lowposter

LaPorteAveApostle

On the Valpo FanZone I have posted a "Hello" article for LaVonte Dority that I'd like some feedback on--and immediately, how to embed pictures and especially video, which would make for a much more satisfying post.

Thanks for your thoughts.

valpo04

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 23, 2012, 05:17:17 PM
On the Valpo FanZone I have posted a "Hello" article for LaVonte Dority that I'd like some feedback on--and immediately, how to embed pictures and especially video, which would make for a much more satisfying post.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Nice article... thanks for writing that.

To embed pictures or video, click on the "Upload/Insert" link directly above the edit box, on the left. 

Here is a link to the article:
http://www.valpofanzone.com/2012/03/23/hello-lavonte-dority/

VU75

Would I be wrong to think that the last Chicago Public League player at Valpo was Morris Smith?

RS

Other Chicago Public League players - Ron Howard (3 yrs) - Vincent Humphrey (1 yr) - Larry Roby (2 yrs) - Ivier McSwine - John mcIlvain - Art Goodwin - Craig mcKenzie (walk on) : some maybe from Catholic League but all since Mo Smith. Not many obviously.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpo04 on March 23, 2012, 06:10:05 PMNice article... thanks for writing that.

To embed pictures or video, click on the "Upload/Insert" link directly above the edit box, on the left. 

thank you so much, and thanks for the feedback.  now is there a way to reedit or is it a done deal?  my WP dashboard does not want to give me that permission...

chef

Vince Humphrey was from Fenwick, which is a Catholic League School. Ron Howard is correct.

valpo04

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 23, 2012, 08:59:09 PM
Quote from: valpo04 on March 23, 2012, 06:10:05 PMNice article... thanks for writing that.

thank you so much, and thanks for the feedback.  now is there a way to reedit or is it a done deal?  my WP dashboard does not want to give me that permission...

You should be able to click on edit on the bottom right of the post.  If you can't, send me a PM and we'll work on it.

lowposter

I got into a discussion with a friend yesterday at the Indiana State Finals about Chicago high school basketball.  My comment was that "Chicago high school basketball" is a step or two below "Indianapolis/Indiana high school basketball".

The talent level of Indianapolis basketball at this time is simply outstanding.  With Roger Powell on board, we can certainly expect our Illinois recruiting to step up, which is needed.  The recent additions of 2013 committments from Indiana shows a committment to the local players.  However, in my estimation, the Indianapolis market is simply not being addressed sufficiently.  Kenney has been a great player for us, and granted, IU, Purdue, Butler, Xaiver, Ball State, IUPUI, and others are firming entrenched, but there is considerable talent in that market.

Just my opinion.

lowposter

valporun

lowposter, I do like your post. What I think is the pertinent issue about why Bryce and the staff might be considering the Indiana recruiting base more than Chicago or Illinois is that the Indiana AAU coaches aren't asking, "If I send you my kid, what will you do for me?". The coaches in Chicago do this regularly, and it affects how some of those kids are being recruited to the major conference schools. This may also be the reason why Depaul and UIC has struggled so much with recruiting players for their systems, not so much the new coaches, but the AAU coaches saying, "If I give you my kid, what do I get? A spot on your coaching staff, a summer camp gig, something to increase my name and ego?"

wh

milanmiracle

Quote from: justducky on March 23, 2012, 03:44:18 AM
Quote from: historyman on March 22, 2012, 08:32:11 AM

Quote from: valpo04 on March 22, 2012, 06:17:10 AMI'd also argue that as a relative of a player who reads and posts on a fan message board, you know what you are getting into and if you are mean and grouchy and can't handle your "grandson" being talked about, perhaps this isn't the best place for you.

Bingo!

You guys shouldn't gang up on an old man, its just not fair. So ok I am not Tommys granddad but it certainly seems like I have spent a lot of time defending the boy. Perhaps this is  because few others have and perhaps because of my love of the underdog background and nature.
Now because of my work background and because of my reading of this boards interactions I have concluded that I am probably thicker skinned than say 95% of the people who post here. So maybe what I should be asking is how many others reacted to Milans post in the same way that I did? Since we can never put a voice to these posts with the additional imformation that a voices tones and inflections might provide it is all too easy to misinterpret. Here we were talking about a kid who is struggling and we all  seem content to have him burried before we are even sure that he is dead or what was killing him in the first place. This is just way too impersonal and thus for me difficult to take. (and no Dr. Ducky does not suspect some terminal condition)
So just to wrap this up, if you were offended Milan-my apology. We all need to remember that our selection of wording does matter. I think I have probably spent more time choosing language in the Kurth issue this season than on any other. It is just difficult to explain what you yourself do not understand.     I am tired and I have rambled enough.

I'll lead with this, no I was not offended, not at all. As pointed out, I am definitely a glass half empty kind of guy. I also wasn't attacking Tommy Kurth personally either, just to be clear. He might be a very nice kid, I have no idea. My guess is he's a nice guy, at least from what I've heard here. Maybe he was sick, injured, or just going through some tough times last year, again I have no idea. That being said, that WAS chosing my words carefully. If you want to see me not choosing my words carefully, search this forum for Logan Jones, you'll understand why I say that. In the end this is just a message board, and nobody should take things personally, including parents and players. I generally try to follow this... don't say anything on a message board you wouldn't say in a conversation with a friend in public that somebody might overhear.

Again, my goal isn't to offend, just to state my opinion. Sorry if I come off as harsh.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

http://www.valpofanzone.com/2012/03/23/hello-lavonte-dority/

Hey everyone, I just finished MAJOR revision/updates of my "Hello: LaVonte Dority" post.

PLEASE do give it a read, and give me some feedback about how you liked it, how it might need improvement for the future...it was a few hours of work but (i hope) worth it.

valpo04 edit: fixed the URL

valpopal

Dority and Coleman additions officially announced by Bryce today:

"We are very excited about the addition of LaVonte," said Drew.  "He brings experience, toughness, and very good playmaking ability to our program.  He handles and distributes the ball very well, which should be a great asset for our offense.  Valpo fans will look forward to seeing LaVonte play."

"Jordan is a great athlete who can play and defend multiple positions on the floor," said Drew on Coleman.  "His versatility will fit in very well with how our team plays.  Jordan played for a legendary coach [Jay Harrington] last year, so he will be well prepared when he arrives on campus.  We are looking forward to the opportunity to coach him."

More here:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2011-12/11679/crusaders-announce-addition-of-two-transfer-guards/

valpopal

Details about the Kurth situation:

Drew says it's also not easy to assess what Kurth's impact might be going forward.

"Tommy and I have discussed that, and I don't think Tommy knows," Drew said. "I don't think anybody but God knows how he's going to respond to the injuries and sickness he's had, how good he can still be if his medical problems are behind him and he has a great summer, but I do know if it boils down to hard work and determination, he's still going to be very good."

More at the following:

http://www.etruth.com/article/20120418/SPORT/704189919