• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Rowdy named All American!!!

Started by vu72, March 26, 2012, 04:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Congrats to Ryan!  Makes you wonder who received more individual press from Wood's move to MSU: Wood or Rowdy  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

If there are 345 D-I schools and 13 scholarships apiece, then that puts him in the top 1.2% of players.

Sounds about right!!!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Only one from the Horizon as far as i could tell.

vuweathernerd

this is fantastic news! what are the odds that maybe next year, he can take the next step from the honorable mention to the big list? wouldn't that be swell!

valpopal

Well deserved! I am pleased to see Ryan recognized in such elite company, and I am looking forward to him building on this with an even stronger supporting cast of teammates next year.

okinawatyphoon

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valporun

LaPorte, need to correct your math a little bit. While there are 345 D-1 basketball teams, there are 8 who CANNOT give scholarships. You included the eight schools in the IVY League. Therefore, 337 D-1 schools x 13 scholarships per team=4,381 scholarship athletes. It's still a great accomplishment that Rowdy was an honorable mention AP All-American, but make sure you accurately work your numbers.

Congrats on this awesome honor, Rowdy!

ValpoHoops

Quote from: valporun on March 26, 2012, 06:54:56 PM
LaPorte, need to correct your math a little bit. While there are 345 D-1 basketball teams, there are 8 who CANNOT give scholarships. You included the eight schools in the IVY League. Therefore, 337 D-1 schools x 13 scholarships per team=4,381 scholarship athletes. It's still a great accomplishment that Rowdy was an honorable mention AP All-American, but make sure you accurately work your numbers.

You've missed a few. Patriot League schools have a rule limiting them to five.

valporun

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 26, 2012, 07:01:20 PM
Quote from: valporun on March 26, 2012, 06:54:56 PM

You've missed a few. Patriot League schools have a rule limiting them to five.

Ok, formalities about the Patriot League. I was just reminding LaPorte that the IVY League couldn't give scholarships, so he needed to do a little more with this math. Either way, for a kid from a small school in NW Indiana to be named an honorable mention All-American is pretty freakin' great, regardless of the math involved.

agibson

Fantastic news!  Well deserved.

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 26, 2012, 05:06:36 PM
Only one from the Horizon as far as i could tell.

Indeed.  Though mids aren't particularly absent.  At least two from the Summit, for example (Oral Roberts, South Dakota State).  Even one from NJIT!

Two from Baylor.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valporun on March 26, 2012, 07:09:36 PMYou've missed a few. Patriot League schools have a rule limiting them to five.

VHoops, if you can find anything to substantiate such a claim about the Patriot League, I'd be interested.  Bucknell gives out at least 12, however: http://www.bucknell.edu/x571.xml

True about Ivy scholarships; and if I were to be ridiculously precise, I'd have subtracted all the schools who've lost them due to sanctions or APR-follies (looking at you, Jim Calhoun).  But let's not be too big sticklers because each time the denominator goes up, Rowdy's percentile falls.

Given the proliferation of All-American teams--kind of too bad, like the days when 73 people gave out MNC in college football--it would be hard to adequately assess who the last "consensus" Horizon League player to be (first, second, third) team All-Americans.  Anyone want to give it a shot?  I'm afraid that it might confirm what we already know--that it'd be pretty hard for someone to make it (although, yes, Bryce made it in 1998, third team, but not in the Horizon)...

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

ValpoHoops

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 26, 2012, 10:59:34 PMVHoops, if you can find anything to substantiate such a claim about the Patriot League, I'd be interested.  Bucknell gives out at least 12, however: http://www.bucknell.edu/x571.xml

I stand corrected, I suppose. I recall hearing a few years back (ironically, it was Bucknell, the year they beat Kansas in the NCAA Tournament) that Patroit League schools only gave out five. Now that I've thought for a bit, I also seem to remember that they were discussing it possibly because they were going to change that to be more competitive nationally...

Thanks for the correction.

wh

You guys are confusing the heck out of me.  What does who gives scholarships and who doesn't have to do with this?  Are you saying you have to be a scholarship athlete to qualify for All-American honors?  If Ryan played in the Ivy League, he wouldn't qualify?  Isn't the denominator simply total teams x total players - period?

valpotx

wh, you are correct, it should simply be the amount of D-1 basketball players in the nation, regardless of who is on scholarship.  Every player in the nation has a shot at AA, regardless of being on scholarship
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusaderboy

Well deserved honor for Ryan.
Bryce did not even receive this recognition in his playing days (much to his chagrin at the time). I think he made out OK in the end!

valpotx

Bryce was a Third Team All American in 1998...
"Don't mess with Texas"

dylanrocks

Gordon Hayward didn't make first-, second- or third-team all-American in 2010? Surprising.

Congratulations to Ryan. By the way, I'm a little surprised that Ray, Jr. didn't get similar honors.

valporun

LaPorte is the one who initially brought up the point, and I was just making sure that he factually accurate. Hell, I was always under the impression that 'All-American' meant no international student-athletes.

agibson

I also wonder about the "consensus" part.  From the VU release

Broekhoff was one of just 58 honorees nationwide who were named to one of the AP's three All-American teams or the Honorable Mention list, and was the only Horizon League player to earn the nod.  Broekhoff joins John Meyne (The Sporting News, honorable mention, 1983 & 1984), Bryce Drew (Basketball Times, Third Team, 1998) and Lubos Barton (Associated Press, honorable mention, 2002) as the only Valpo players to earn All-American consideration since the program moved to Division I.

Does that mean that none of the others were "consensus" All-Americans (on any team, or even honorable mention)?  They were mentioned by only one agency each?

valporun

I'm guessing "concensus" is meant the same as on a majority/almost all ballots returned, that the same names appeared. Other than the Associated Press, I want to say that The Sporting News and Basketball Times are more of a "subscriber-based" opinion poll. The Associated Press, while it could be considered "subscriber-based" is also a corporation of newspapers/writers that write in more a syndication-based media, so they might be more of a "concensus", since the writers come from all over, not just the one magazine, like The Sporting News and Basketball Times are.

ValpoHoops

From the never-ending source of knowledge that is Wikipedia (and, this info is accurate, I just chose to let someone else write it):

QuoteThe Consensus 2011 College Basketball All-American team is determined by aggregating the results of the four major All-American teams as determined by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Since United Press International was replaced by TSN in 1997, the four major selectors have been the aforementioned ones. AP has been a selector since 1948, NABC since 1957 and USBWA since 1960.[2] To earn "consensus" status, a player must win honors based on a point system computed from the four different all-America teams. The point system consists of three points for first team, two points for second team and one point for third team. No honorable mention or fourth team or lower are used in the computation. The top five totals plus ties are first team and the next five plus ties are second team.[3]

Although the aforementioned lists are used to determine consensus honors, there are numerous other All-American lists. The ten finalists for the John Wooden Award are described as Wooden All-Americans.[4] The ten finalists for the Lowe's Senior CLASS Award are described as Senior All-Americans.[5] Other All-American lists include those determined by Fox Sports, and Yahoo! Sports. The scholar-athletes selected by College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) are termed Academic All-Americans.

It has nothing to do with each individual team and how many votes, but a "consensus" among the four major lists.

vu72

and if you think they Ivy League players aren't getting a full ride...call it what you will.  wh is correct, it should simply be total players regardless of scholarship/financial aid status.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

IVY League athletes are getting academic scholarships, yes, because of the academic rigors that have to be met to get in. They may also get "grants-in-aid", much like Division III athletes do, but they CAN'T receive athletics specific scholarships.

vu72