• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bobby Capobianco

Started by wh, March 31, 2012, 05:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

I found this in-depth article about Bobby, written after he had scored a 1000 points in high school.  It really speaks to his work ethic and dedication to the sport.  It also has some great comments from his Mom, who ia a former basketball star at Vanderbilt.  In a Times article following his transfer he talked about wanting to play the 4 at Valpo.  I think he is a great find who along with Dority will add a whole new dimension to the team. 

http://davidgmiller.typepad.com/lovelandmagazine/2008/04/loveland-ohio-1.html

vu72

Thanks for digging that up.  Great story.  With Bobby, Kevin and Rowdy on the floor at one time, we will be very hard to out rebound!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sliman

He played post most of his time at Indiana, so it's likely that he'll also share time in the post with Kevin.  This also may give him better matchups defensively.

http://indiana.247sports.com/Article/What-Bobby-Capobiancos-transfer-means-for-him-Indiana-26255

rink

"Is everyone in this --- damned house named Bobby Capobianco??"

(Inside joke for any Made fans out there.)

EddieCabot

I've heard nothing but great things about Capo's work ethic during his redshirt year.  Pretty easy to assume that the departure of Edwards and Vucic had something to do with their understanding that Capobianco would be taking most of their minutes. 

sectionee

Glad to hear that report Eddie, because I haven't heard anything good from his time at IU.  I'm hoping a new location and a fresh start has positives results!

BigMoSmithFan

Quote from: sectionee on April 01, 2012, 09:36:53 PM
Glad to hear that report Eddie, because I haven't heard anything good from his time at IU.  I'm hoping a new location and a fresh start has positives results!

Really? Every IU fan I know seems to love the guy. Several plan to drive over to a few VU games next year just to see him play.

vu72

This is part of an interview from an Indiana basketball site after he announced the transfer to Valpo.  I noticed a few things of interest which I've highlited:

"It was the best academic fit and the best basketball fit," Capobianco said. "By the time I took my visit, it was obvious that this was the right place."

Capobianco also said he thought he would fit well in Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew's offensive vision. In Indiana's offense, Capobianco was used almost exclusively as a screener and rarely even got the ball in the post. In high school, he was actually known for being able to shoot from beyond the arc, and said Drew plans to use him in that fashion.

"Obviously, I don't know the entire offense right now," Capobianco said. "But just from speaking to Coach Drew, I think after my redshirt year, he's going to try to find a way to use all my skills. I think he knows that even though I have the size to play in the post, I can also do some things on the perimeter. He can use me to dribble drive, he can use my shot. He understands that I have some flexibility and he can work with that."

OK, so what's my point?  Here it is:  Bobby also looked at Evansville among other schools yet chose Valpo.  We have been told about Evansville's great facilities and they play in the Valley, which is perceived to be a step up from the Horizon.  No mention of conference or facilities.  What he mentioned was academic fit and most importantly Coach Drew's vision of how he would be used and Valpo's style of play.  Just sayin...

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on April 04, 2012, 08:43:55 AM

OK, so what's my point?  Here it is:  Bobby also looked at Evansville among other schools yet chose Valpo.  We have been told about Evansville's great facilities and they play in the Valley, which is perceived to be a step up from the Horizon.  No mention of conference or facilities.  What he mentioned was academic fit and most importantly Coach Drew's vision of how he would be used and Valpo's style of play.  Just sayin...

It probably didn't hurt that Capobianco dates Margo Andrews, an IU student who lives in Valparaiso. Just sayin...

walldozer

Quote from: vu72 on April 04, 2012, 08:43:55 AM
This is part of an interview from an Indiana basketball site after he announced the transfer to Valpo.  I noticed a few things of interest which I've highlited:

"It was the best academic fit and the best basketball fit," Capobianco said. "By the time I took my visit, it was obvious that this was the right place."

Capobianco also said he thought he would fit well in Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew's offensive vision. In Indiana's offense, Capobianco was used almost exclusively as a screener and rarely even got the ball in the post. In high school, he was actually known for being able to shoot from beyond the arc, and said Drew plans to use him in that fashion.

"Obviously, I don't know the entire offense right now," Capobianco said. "But just from speaking to Coach Drew, I think after my redshirt year, he's going to try to find a way to use all my skills. I think he knows that even though I have the size to play in the post, I can also do some things on the perimeter. He can use me to dribble drive, he can use my shot. He understands that I have some flexibility and he can work with that."

I do not know much of Copobianco's game and I have never seen him play, but the way he describes himself, his game sounds a lot like Richie Edwards.  For those in the know, is this a right assumption?   

Valpo89

I think he will be better than Richie and play better defensively.

chef

Richie played mostly at the "5". Bobby will play a lot more minutes at the "4". He has better foot speed than Richie and thus will be able to guard more on the perimeter. Bobby brings a toughness to the table, while Richie was more a finesse player. Richie was the type of player that could score 15 and his guy would also get 15. Bobby may not put up those big scoring numbers, but he'll cause fits for the man he is guarding. Bobby will also big a bigger factor on the glass.

lowposter

Nice report chef.  So we get an upgrade in size, footspeed, toughness, rebounding, and defense.  Sounds like a power forward!

Any offensive skills?

lowposter

DMvalpo18

Even if his offensive skills are below what Richie did, I will be happy with a guy who plays better defense.

chef

Bobby can shoot it. Don't expect him to be a 40% three-point shooter, but he can make the open perimeter shot. I'm sure you'll see some of the pick and pop game we saw a lot with Cory Johnson. I think the reason Richie and Kevin were not on the court much at the same time was the concern that neither were a good fit to guard the athletic "4" men that you see most nights in the Horizon League. I don't think that will be the same case with Bobby and Kevin.

wh

Quote from: chef on April 07, 2012, 12:16:35 AM
Bobby can shoot it. Don't expect him to be a 40% three-point shooter, but he can make the open perimeter shot. I'm sure you'll see some of the pick and pop game we saw a lot with Cory Johnson. I think the reason Richie and Kevin were not on the court much at the same time was the concern that neither were a good fit to guard the athletic "4" men that you see most nights in the Horizon League. I don't think that will be the same case with Bobby and Kevin.

Chef - I'm wondering about backup at the 5 (assuming Bobby were to play most of his minutes at the 4).  Do you know anything about Fernandez's readiness to step in and play some meaningful minutes? 

chef

Kevin averaged nearly 24 minutes a game last year. I could see Vashil playing about 10 minutes a game, with Bobby playing the "5" in a few minute stretches as well. Vashil is an extremely hard working athlete with a huge upside. On the defensive end, he is ready right now to be a big factor. The belief is with his athleticism and work ethic he'll become an effective offensive player in a short matter of time. After Kevin graduates, the hope is Vashil will be ready to be a very good center in our league.

vu72

Here  a short video of Bobby I posted in another "Bobby Capobianco" thread some time ago.  It was a few years ago so presume he is bigger, stronger and a better shot now.  I see an athletic big who can move well around the hoop.

http://www.courier-journal.com/VideoNetwork/34458206001/Recruiting-Bobby-Capobianco

I have heard from a very reliable source that Vashil is ready to play as chef suggests, and that he will add a shot blocking presence we haven't had since Raitis or Mohamad Kone.  Here is another question I posed: "Will Ryan be playing at the 3 this year?"

The answer is a little surprising. It was that whether or not Ryan can play the 3 offensively in not an issue.  He will be a matchup problem for a typical 3 in our league who is more like 6'4", but...the bigger question is, can he guard the 3?  The same matchup problems apply here.  It remains to be seen if he can gain the quickness to be a 3 full time.  I'd love to have Bobby, Kevin and Ryan on the floor at one time together with another sharp shooter like Will and then together with our new scoring point.  How do you doublr Ryan then?  We will have lots of options.

chef

Here's my guess. Ryan averages 34 mpg next season. He plays the "4" 25 minutes and the "3" 9 minutes.

johnestuff

More realistic scenario. Ryan averages 34 minutes a game, all at the 4. Bobby and Vashil mimicking the minutes that Richie and Vucic played!

FWalum

Quote from: chef on April 07, 2012, 10:09:08 AM
Here's my guess. Ryan averages 34 mpg next season. He plays the "4" 25 minutes and the "3" 9 minutes.
I really hate to disagree with chef, but that scenario does not make much sense to me with Capobianco on the floor and I am pretty sure he will start along with Kevin and Ryan and be on the floor at least 25 minutes a game barring foul trouble.  Ryan will have to play the 3 next year a good percentage of the time, and most likely will be looked at as a 3 at the next level unless he grows 2" and adds 40 pounds.  I think this forces other teams to go bigger versus our lineup and  that puts the lineup advantage back in our favor.  Ryan is a very savvy player who anticipates and plays the angles well already.  I am sure he will be working on quickness along with defending the 3 so I am not really too worried about him defensively.  In other words, I think Ryan can defend the 3 better than most 3's in our league will be able to defend him.
Quote from: johnestuff on April 07, 2012, 01:36:17 PM
More realistic scenario. Ryan averages 34 minutes a game, all at the 4. Bobby and Vashil mimicking the minutes that Richie and Vucic played!
I don't see this at all.  Underestimating Capobianco tremendously if that is what you think.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

sectionee

If Ryan is playing a lot at the 3 we will see Valpo play a lot of zone defense, which is fine with me.  I think we see Ryan at the 4 at least half the game, more along the lines of what Chef said.

zvillehaze

Quote from: sectionee on April 07, 2012, 05:40:33 PM
If Ryan is playing a lot at the 3 we will see Valpo play a lot of zone defense, which is fine with me.  I think we see Ryan at the 4 at least half the game, more along the lines of what Chef said.

Agree with this.  If you get 25 minutes from KVW and Capobianco and 10 from Fernandez, you still need 20 from Ryan at the 4 spot.  I wouldn't be too worried about the defensive matchups, because as sectionee pointed out, Valpo will play a lot of zone.

Frankly, I think Valpo is at their best offensively with Ryan playing the 4 spot ... meaning they are basically playing a four guard offense.  He helps spread the floor, which isolates KVW in the post and he's also a tough matchup for bigger guys.   :twocents:

valpotx

I like seeing Capobianco playing with his back to the basket in that clip, and being physical.  Obviously, that was a few years ago, but hopefully still the way he plays.
"Don't mess with Texas"

lowposter

Options will be available for multiple lineups on the floor.  The really intriguing thing about this squad as currently assembled is there is a considerable amount of talent from 1 thru 10 (or more).  Every position has at least one player which has proven himself at VU in the past, plus incoming talent at most positions.

This is a deep squad.   There are pros and cons to that.  Obviously, in case of matchup issues, there will be options.  In case of injuries, illnesses, academic issues, ineffective performance, etc. there will be players that should be available to answer the call.

We can go short, with 3 guards and Ryan at a 4, we can go super short with 4 guards and a big, or we can go big with a normal 2 guards, Ryan at 3, Bobby, and Kevin.  Or we can go super big with Ryan sliding to a 2 and playing zone.

I too am concerned about the quickness issue.  The HL is a quick league, often as stated, with the 3 being a 6'4 or 6'5 swing.  With Kenney, we have that option also. 

Now, here is the big question...will there be enough minutes for this deep team?  There will be a number of seniors.  Will they get their minutes?  Will everyone be content? 

This is a locker room question, which most of us have no idea of how it will work out.  I recall talking to Dick Harlan a couple of years ago and we faced a similar situation with an over abundance of guards and he was curious as to how it would play out.  It did.   My guess is there are no super egos with this squad.  There will be great senior leadership with the POY and another HL All Conference performer.  These are the questions which concern me most with this group.

lowposter