• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo baseball players in the summer

Started by valpotx, June 19, 2012, 01:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I would have to think that Chris Manning is the first Valpo baseball player to play in the Cape??  What an accomplishment for him, but also for all our other players.  We are represented in some solid leagues: Cape Cod, Jayhawk, Northwoods, and Prospect. 

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2011-12/11855/crusader-baseball-players-competing-on-summer-league-teams/

I really wish this league was around (Midwest Collegiate League) when I was in school, as it looks like it has a lot of good college players, though we had a good amount in the league I played in.  I played my last 2 summers in Indiana (Michigan City Stars), but don't remember the name of the league.  I played with several of my teammates at VU, as well as players from Butler, Eastern Illinois, St. Joe's, Southern Indiana, Purdue, and a few others.  I believe the league is still around, but it seems to have become less college-focused, and more after-college. 

http://www.midwestcollegiateleague.com/

Some of my best memories were of summer ball while in college, my first two years in the Texas Collegiate League (was known as the Southwest Collegiate Baseball League back then), last two in Indiana.  Getting to play against and do well against guys from Arkansas, Alabama, LSU, Missouri, UT, TCU, UTA, Texas Tech, Baylor, Notre Dame, Purdue, Ball State, Butler, etc, was a nice respite from my lack of production while at VU lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

sectionee

I played in that league as well.  We faced off against the stars several times each summer.  I can't remember the name of the league either.  You are right it was mainly local kids playing in college and even some out of college guys not ready to hang um up yet.

valpotx

What years for you?  My last summer was 2003, and we won the 'Indiana State Semi-Pro Championship.'  That wasn't the true name, but I couldn't think of the real title  :).  We played 5-7 teams in a state tournament from 2 other Indiana summer leagues I believe (top 2 finishers from each league), before heading to a Regional in Cincinnati.  There were some really solid teams at that regional, barely losing in both games to teams from Ohio.

The greatest/funniest memory I have of that time was that the owner/manager of the team, Al Schinn, would constantly have a fat cigar in his mouth throughout the games lol.  Great guy, who had played with Jackie Robinson in the minor leagues, and managed a minor league team at one point in Merrillville (I think it was Merrillville)
"Don't mess with Texas"

sectionee

I played from 2002-2004.  I played on Pioneers one year (i think) and the Griffith Rangers the other years.  I don't remember doing any tournaments with the Pioneers but with the Rangers we played in the state tourney.  That was a team that had a lot of old guys on it resulting in a not so good product on the field.

VULB#62

I'm making it a point to go see Chris Manning play in the Cape Cod League, about an hour's drive from my house..  Nothing like an evening ball game on the Cape.  With the breeze blowing the right way, the smell of salt in the air and the sound of peepers makes for a great evening.

valpotx

I could google it, but what is the peeper you mention?  It sounds like a bird, but I may be way off  :).

I remember playing the Pioneers (I believe Plymouth?) and Rangers.  I believe Griffith had an old school coach as well, 70-80 years?  Plymouth had a nice baseball stadium from what I remember, where the stands were elevated above a nice brick wall behind home plate.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo04

Quote from: valpotx on June 20, 2012, 05:24:54 PM
I could google it, but what is the peeper you mention?  It sounds like a bird, but I may be way off  :).

I think he is referring to Spring Peepers:

Spring Peepers audio

VULB#62

8)

I'm really impressed guys.  You jumped on that at warp speed   :thumbsup:

sectionee

Quote from: valpotx on June 20, 2012, 05:24:54 PMI remember playing the Pioneers (I believe Plymouth?) and Rangers.  I believe Griffith had an old school coach as well, 70-80 years?  Plymouth had a nice baseball stadium from what I remember, where the stands were elevated above a nice brick wall behind home plate.

Ha! yeah I don't think anybody knew his real name we all called him "Old Man".  That guy was fantastic and told some wild stories.

covufan

Good to see that our players are getting good experience this summer. 

VULB#62

Here's a recent Boston Globe pictorial on Cape Cod Collegiate Baseball League Alumni. 

The lead-in:

"More than 200 players in each of the last six Major League Baseball entry drafts have spent a summer playing Cape ball. Numerous big league Hall of Famers, All-Stars, MVPs, Cy Young Award and Rookie of the Year winners have spent a summer or two honing their skills in the country's premier amateur baseball league. The alumni of the Cape Cod Baseball League is a veritable who's-who of baseball."

Chris Manning is in good company.  That kind of competitiveness will no doubt rub off.  Some of you may challenge the Globe contention that they are the premier summer league, but the talent is very good.

The link:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/gallery/cape_cod_baseball_league_alumni/

valpotx

Anyone that would challenge that the Cape is the best summer league does not know baseball  :).  The Alaskan summer league used to be a fairly close second when I was in school and before, but has suffered more recently in terms of quality.  After Cape Cod, it is hard to say what the second best league is, as they are all pretty similar.

I knew several people that played in the Cape that I played with and against in HS, and all said it was a very tough league.  My HS teammate that won a national championship at UT played with Yarmouth-Dennis, and said it is an experience he will never forget.  That coming from a guy who has a national championship ring, played up to AAA in the Yankees system, and lived the dream I could have only hoped for lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Agree with tex on all the Cape comments.  Common as well in the Cape are 10 day contracts.  If you're good but not a "blue chip" prospect, you'll get an offer to come to the Cape and play for a few games.  A player is under tremendous pressure to succeed in this situation.  You need to impress someone quickly with something--hitting, speed, defense or all of those.  Manning was playing under a short contract, and as the CWS wound down and more players became available, he was released last week from his Cape team.  I believe he got nine AB's and batted .222.  Great experience for him and good for Valpo to get a player there.  I hope we'll see a few more Crusaders out to the Cape next year, and maybe one or two will stick for the full summer season.  Congrats to Chris! 
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valporun

The Cape gives some of these kids a better idea of how to improve, how to work hard, and what to improve on most, in the same manner as independent professional baseball leagues expect of players they sign.

VULB#62

I was disappointed to learn the same thing that Jetz posted earlier about Chris.  I was really interested in seeing him play, so two days ago I went to the Y-D Red Sox website, checked the schedule and then checked the roster. I noted that Chris' name was not on it, so I emailed the general manager and he replied that Chris was a "temporary" player who filled a slot until the contract players finished super regional commitments and that he had been released. I asked where he thought Chris might have moved on to and he suggested the Northwoods or the New England Collegiate Leagues, but when I checked the rosters of every one of those teams I couldn't find him.  Did he hook up with any summer league team?

bbtds

The Gary Southshore Railcats not only have Tyler Deetjen on their pitching staff but they have also signed Jon Gulbransen to pitch for the Gary team.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/baseball/professional/minor/american-association/railcats-sign-former-vu-pitcher/article_ac03c87a-c365-5701-919b-35a61f0e0848.html

Actually Gulbransen was the starter for the Railcats Tues/yesterday evening.

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 29, 2012, 07:19:59 AM
I was disappointed to learn the same thing that Jetz posted earlier about Chris.  I was really interested in seeing him play, so two days ago I went to the Y-D Red Sox website, checked the schedule and then checked the roster. I noted that Chris' name was not on it, so I emailed the general manager and he replied that Chris was a "temporary" player who filled a slot until the contract players finished super regional commitments and that he had been released. I asked where he thought Chris might have moved on to and he suggested the Northwoods or the New England Collegiate Leagues, but when I checked the rosters of every one of those teams I couldn't find him.  Did he hook up with any summer league team?

Well, I got my answer on the recent addition to the Valpo Athletic Website about ballplayers who made their respective collegiate league all-star squads:

Chris Manning is currently playing for the Dayton Docs of the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League. The rising junior joined the team late but leads the team in batting average at .333 and .443 on-base percentage. In just 17 games and 66 at-bats Manning has five doubles, three triples, a home run, and eight stolen bases.

Good to see he caught on -- in spades it seems.

jetz

This news from Twitter and baseball reporter Sean Ryan:  William & Mary hired one of their assistants to be the new head coach after a long search.  Tracy Woodson was one of the coaches in contention for the job, and withdrew his name from consideration last weekend. 

I'm sure this is accurate but have no confirmation, obviously.  It's absolutely no surprise that the coach of the HL Champions would be getting some offers, and I'm sure it won't be the last.  Glad to have Coach Woodson back.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

I couldn't see him leaving for a William & Mary, though they have a few NCAA trips over the years I believe.  If he is to leave the situation that he has at Valpo (and his wife has in area with family), he will probably leave for a larger job.  Probably something in the Big 10 or if his dream job at NC State came about
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on July 26, 2012, 01:28:11 AM
I couldn't see him leaving for a William & Mary, though they have a few NCAA trips over the years I believe.  If he is to leave the situation that he has at Valpo (and his wife has in area with family), he will probably leave for a larger job.  Probably something in the Big 10 or if his dream job at NC State came about

Mr. Lasorda, put down your spaghetti and tell us exactly the words you used to tell Tracy not to take the William & Mary head baseball coach job.