• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2012 Football

Started by covufan, July 10, 2012, 01:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NuPudge

Forgive me for not knowing but how many games would Valpo had won if you had the  best kicker in college? I think what happens is people look for a quick solution for fixing problem with teams. This happens at the highs school, college, and pro level. I think the focus should be on other area. How are we looking at the LB'er spot? What about the DL? This is where the game is won.

VULB#62

Good point pudge.  The answer last year might be two (Franklin and Davidson).  Not being able to put three on the board in the red zone gives opponents a clean sheet, possession and deflates morale on the kicker's team enabling a juiced up opponent to respond with a drive of their own.  That happened too many times and eventually caused the staff to go for it on 4th and whatever.  Is a kicker the focus of the 2012-13 recruit in class?  No, but they have brought in two kids who can kick.  Where it appears they have improved is exactly where you point -- D.  Games will be closer due to improved quality of the players on the field and experience.  When games are closer the kicker becomes more essential.  Check Coach Carlson's blog posts and some of his off-season interviews and you'll get a sense that the program's priorities are in line with what you are saying.  It's just a question of how far they can actually come.

LaPorteAveApostle

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/independence-4th-down

This is a great post--admittedly from stats compiled over several years of FBS teams, but showing you, based on an average kicker--as well as above- or below-average--when you should kick, punt, or go.  I find it fascinating and hope you do too.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

I've always had the thought that football coaches were way too conservative on 4th down. I think now a days they take just as much guff for not going on 4th down as they do for going on 4th down and giving up the ball. So hopefully we see a turn towards neutral ground.

Only 6 weeks till Valpo football starts. Anyone looking forward to it this year? At least I'm looking forward to it more than the last 10 years' beginnings of the seasons. Before that I didn't really consider it much. The PFL championship was really nice but only a blip on the radar.

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on July 12, 2012, 04:28:17 PM
Quote from: willy on July 12, 2012, 03:24:13 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on July 10, 2012, 06:29:35 PMDon't see some of the Massey predictions. There'll be at least three wins in there. With luck* maybe four. With a lot of luck ** 5. St. Joe's -- about right YSU -- 21-44 Duquesne 24-35 SDU -- about right BU -- toss up* Drake -- about right Dayton -- about right Marist -- 31- 28* Campbell -- about right Davidson -- 28 - 21 MSU -- 38-34**
I hope we start the year the way we finished last year! I think four wins is a possibility, Butler should be a toss up.  I saw the Butler game last year and Valpo could have won that game. We were inside the 15 yd. line three times in the first half and came away with no points. Valpo went for it on 4th down just about the whole game. How was the kicking game last year? Was it a problem and have they addressed that?
[/b]

To say the place kicking game was a problem would be the understatement of the year.  We attempted 3 gield goals and made 1. We also missed 3 of 23 extra point attempts.  As for "addressing" the problem, there are 2 kickers on the freshman class list.  One is a punter/kicker and the other is just a kicker.  Time will tell...
The kicking game may have been a problem, and punting may have been a portion of our field position problems, but we had more problems on each side of the line of scrimage. 

I recall attending a game at Butler, probably '95, but maybe earlier.  It was a high scoring game with Valpo having a shot as time was winding down.  Many in our group were commenting that they should just send in the kicker, kick the field goal, and go home winners.  During a timeout many of us were discussing this when a lady turned around and said "because he can't kick".  She was related to one of the coaches and was more familiar with the team, so we believed her and laughed.  It turns out that we moved the ball forward one more time before kicking, and won 44-42.  I just looked it up.

vu72

I doubt punting was our problem other than the fact that we had to punt so many times!  Greg Wood is one of the best in the country.  The reality is that "lockdown" defense at this level is just unheard of.  There will always be a player who isn't the best but we will also always have a player or two who could contribute or even start at a Big Ten type school.  As a result, if we win it generally will be in a high scoring game.  Keeping the defense on the sidelines with long successful drives will also help as when the defense is on the field they aren't so tired as has been the case for several years.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NuPudge

I will be new to coming to Valpo games. What can I expect with attendances? Will it be pack there? Do I have to get there early (hours) before the game. Is there tailgating before game and where? From looking at the comments by coach Carson comments, he seems excited about this recruiting class and looking forward toward the season. I was looking at the fb team record last year and was a little down because I hate going to games where the team is expected to lose more then 4 games. Am I wrong is what I see and believe,

bbtds

Quote from: NuPudge on July 19, 2012, 05:05:57 PM
I will be new to coming to Valpo games. What can I expect with attendances? Will it be pack there? Do I have to get there early (hours) before the game. Is there tailgating before game and where? From looking at the comments by coach Carson comments, he seems excited about this recruiting class and looking forward toward the season. I was looking at the fb team record last year and was a little down because I hate going to games where the team is expected to lose more then 4 games. Am I wrong is what I see and believe,

If you haven't noticed so far under Coach Carlson (please remember the "L") we are 1-21. Of course through his positive attitude and what seems to be improvement we, except maybe one of us, all hope the team keeps improving and getting better. Better in most of our views is 4 to 5 wins but that still is pretty optomistic. I would be happy with 3 wins but hope and pray for more.

setshot

Anything less than a 6-5 record will be unacceptable. Three strikes and you're out. GO VALPO!

bbtds

Quote from: setshot on July 19, 2012, 06:34:47 PM
Anything less than a 6-5 record will be unacceptable. Three strikes and you're out. GO VALPO!

Remember when I said "except for one of us".................it's pretty obvious.............DePauw's D-III No. 4 final ranking sure made headlines.

NuPudge

Now i guess the next question i have is, are we headed in the correct directions as a football team? It seems as if the other Valpo sport programs are doing well. I am not saying that you should only count the wins but fans should see some improvement with the type of kids thats coming to Valpo..

I guess the next 2 questions i have is whether the fb program is hurting because boardline kids cant get into the school or if its because we dont offer full rides.

Because I am new, explain how Valpo is a D1 school but not provide kids with full rides? Will this change you think? Do we offer full rides in the basketball, track, baseball etc? Sorry for asking these questions but I want to be informed.

VULB#62

Let me take your questions in reverse order.

In order to maintain D-I status a school must have all it's sports in D-I.  That includes FB.  However, in its great wisdom (and I do agree with it), the NCAA realizes that FB is expen$ive and therefore allows two options:  D-I FBS or D-I FCS (the old D-IAA).  So a school like VU that wants to play D-I basketball (that's the real driver here) can opt for the big time Football Bowl Series (85 required scholarships and a bunch of other rules like minimum stadium size) or a similarly scholarshipped FCS (65 scholarships with lesser restrictions).  The FBS are eligible for bowl games and big payouts; all FCS teams are eligible for NCAA playoff championships and must more modest payouts that come from the NCAA.  But even within FCS there is an option:  Scholarship or no scholarship.  Regardless of choice, if a team chooses to play FCS they are eligible for the NCAA playoffs.  Due to the lesser level of competition (see VU vs, YSU , or San Diego vs. another FCS school scores), few non-scholarship teams are invited.  But that will change as the Pioneer will become an AQ (automatic qualifier) in 2013.  There are 4 non-scholarsip FCS conferences:  Pioneer, Patriot, Ivy and NEC.  I'm pretty certain about the Northeast Conference (NEC), but I also know that the Patriot is moving slowly to scholarshipped.  The Ivy is all financial aid-based and as a league has opted out of post season play, though they are competitive enough that they could go pretty deep into the playoffs if added.

VU has D-1 scholarships for all D-I sports (most being non-revenue and the numbers and $$$ are not onerous -- e.g., men's soccer has 8 to spread among a program involving nearly 40 players)  and has opted for the FCS non-scholarship FB option.

Within it's chosen path VU can schedule similar schools with similar philosophies, i.e., the Pioneer FB League.  The issues are not the scholarships, but (1) attracting and retaining talented kids at that level and (2) attracting and retaining good coaches.  VU at one point early last decade had, I believe, 2 PFL championship seasons.  Since then the program has fallen on hard times and did not maintain the momentum those good years should have created.

I'm pretty sure Dale Carlson has some influence in helping borderline players gain admission.  But "borderline" is a relative term.  Our borderline is a lot higher than, say, most state universities.  I would suggest that all posters in this forum are very proud of VU's academic status and do not want that to be compromised.  Players who are attracted to VU come and play because they graduate with a lot going for them in the career world PLUS they get to play at the FCS level and travel nationally.

IMO we have attracted a coach and staff who are well organized, have created a true program, have changed the team culture, have recruited better athletes within VU's standards, and have put the foundation in place to have a competitive team going forward.  But the hole they are climbing out of is deep and this may be the year where a positive change will be noticed.  It won't be dramatic, but it will be noticeable.

historyman

NuPudge, isn't it better to be getting on the bandwagon on the ground floor instead of hopping on after the winning has happened for a while. Bet you didn't know bandwagons went up and down between floors.  :crazy:  Metaphors were meant for mixing.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusadermoe

Getting off to a good start will be crucial.     In a losing program, if you lose most of your first 3 or 4 games, you get less effort and morale later.   It's just human nature.

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on July 20, 2012, 10:25:25 AM
Getting off to a good start will be crucial.     In a losing program, if you lose most of your first 3 or 4 games, you get less effort and morale later.   It's just human nature.

The St Joe opening night game will be extremely important. Valpo will not come close to beating Youngstown State. That is a given. Duquesne would be a nice upset but will probably not happen and winning at San Diego will be difficult but not impossible. Beating St. Joe and upsetting either Duquesne or San Diego would get the season off to a very respectable 2-2.

historyman

Interesting that USD plays at Harvard the week before they play Valpo in San Diego. Now there is a team that bounces from coast to coast. Open in San Luis Obispo, CA then San Diego, then Cambridge, MA, then San Diego, then Des Moines, IA, then San Diego, then Jacksonville, FL, then San Diego, then Poughkeepsie, NY, then San Diego, then Davidson, NC.

bbtds, do you really believe that Valpo can beat both St. Joe and either Duquesne or San Diego?

I'm just not seeing it. My guess would be 0-4 but I could see 1-3 is possible. I pray for 2-2. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

First four games:  Gotta beat St. Joe.  Gotta show up at YSU, but the thrashing will still occur.  Duquesne can be an upset win -- it's a home game and if we're not too banged up against YSU, the kids could pull this one off.  Road trip to SDU is probably a long trip for a loss.  Historyman and I are in accord:  it'll be 1-3 with a chance for 2-2.

setshot

The word is: PFL coaches have picked Valpo to finish last in the PFL. So what else is new. Beat St. Joe! :'(

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

setshot

Rest easy. Next year we won't be any less than 6th. Why? Two new teams and expansion to 12 teams and two divisions. We'll be picked 6th. in one of them. Book it! :twocents:

willy

I thought when I opened this site the heading read " An independent fan site for SUPPORTERS of Valparaiso University athletics".

vu72

Quote from: willy on July 31, 2012, 09:08:11 AM
I thought when I opened this site the heading read " An independent fan site for SUPPORTERS of Valparaiso University athletics".

Well said Willy.  Our friend setshot is a bit of a schizophrenic as he will, on occasion, say something good about Valpo or her athletic programs, but then slips back, or misses a dose, and we get the more normal setshot in all his "glory"!  :crazy:

covufan

I think that setshot (or jj) has been a long time supporter of VU Athletics.  He also has some strong opinions.  His negativity can wear on you, but deep down I think he supports all VU sports.

crusadermoe

Yeah, setshot can really get rough.  ButI agree that he cares deep down.   
In football 2012, it just seems unrealistic to expect to beat YSU, Duquesne, or San Diego.   Who knows about St. Joe-since D-2 schools vary all over the map year to year.   That would be a bonus unforeseen by me. 
Realistically, I can see us beating Butler on Homecoming and winning 1 to 3 other PFL games.    Season should mark 2 to 4 wins. Progress, but .500 or more should be expected of new coach by 2013.   Maybe avoid the crazy YSU games?...