• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

We might as well give Butler the national championship now

Started by bbtds, July 17, 2012, 05:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

I bet a lot of you are glad I'm getting off the Penn State tragedy........and moving on to Butler basketball..............   ::)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/19594991/butlers-duo-of-clarke-dunham-solve-bulldogs-shooting-woes

Now that CBS Sports has declared that Butler has solved any and every problem they had last season with the additions of Rotnei Clarke and Kellen Dunham the NCAA should just hand the Bulldogs the national championship now. What else do they have to prove?

sectionee

With as much as you guys talk about Butler you would think they were a serious threat to Valpo. Beat Detroit!

valpo64

Peegs reports that Chrishawn Hopkins of Butler has been dismissed from Butler University...academic problem?  might be more to this

wh

Quote from: valpo64 on September 12, 2012, 07:59:57 PM
Peegs reports that Chrishawn Hopkins of Butler has been dismissed from Butler University...academic problem?  might be more to this

I've had an excellent time so far
There's only one thing that I fear
I've been up so long on this lucky star
It could be all downhill from here
It could be all downhill from here

Lyle Lovett

vu72

Another fine writing job." He (Hopkins) was arguably the team's most talented player."  Huh??  I thought he was a turnover waiting to happen, and generally not playing the Butler system.  If he was the most talented then what can you say about all the other "studs".
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on September 13, 2012, 03:13:09 PM
Another fine writing job." He (Hopkins) was arguably the team's most talented player."  Huh??  I thought he was a turnover waiting to happen, and generally not playing the Butler system.  If he was the most talented then what can you say about all the other "studs".

I think your assessment is right, but so is Goodman's.  "Talent" doesn't always equate to production.  Hopkins is incredibly athletic and displayed flashes of offensive brilliance.  The frustrating part is that the turnovers (that you pointed out) and defensive lapses limited his playing time.  The ability to make good decisions, both on and off the court, kept him from fulfilling his potential at Butler. 

I'm sure it was difficult for Butler to dismiss him, because by all accounts he was a likable guy who had overcome a lot in his life and he certainly would have helped Butler the next two years. But he had run out of chances with Butler.

Because he is so talented, he'll have plenty of other opportunities and I hope he learns from his mistakes and makes the most of them.  I have no idea where he's headed, but I could see him being a 20+ ppg guy at a school like IUPUI if he ends up there.  Given Valpo's interest in transfers, I'd be surprised if he hasn't gotten a call from Bryce.  Like most Butler fans, I'm ticked about the situation and how it impacts our team, but I wish him the best and hope he figures things out.

wh

Quote from: zvillehaze on September 13, 2012, 10:47:01 PM
Quote from: vu72 on September 13, 2012, 03:13:09 PM

I think your assessment is right, but so is Goodman's.  "Talent" doesn't always equate to production.  Hopkins is incredibly athletic and displayed flashes of offensive brilliance.  The frustrating part is that the turnovers (that you pointed out) and defensive lapses limited his playing time.  The ability to make good decisions, both on and off the court, kept him from fulfilling his potential at Butler. 

I'm sure it was difficult for Butler to dismiss him, because by all accounts he was a likable guy who had overcome a lot in his life and he certainly would have helped Butler the next two years. But he had run out of chances with Butler.

Because he is so talented, he'll have plenty of other opportunities and I hope he learns from his mistakes and makes the most of them.  I have no idea where he's headed, but I could see him being a 20+ ppg guy at a school like IUPUI if he ends up there.  Given Valpo's interest in transfers, I'd be surprised if he hasn't gotten a call from Bryce. Like most Butler fans, I'm ticked about the situation and how it impacts our team, but I wish him the best and hope he figures things out.

That thought crossed my mind, as well.  It all depends on what his "problems" are.  If any of them involve being a bad teammate, he would not be worth the risk.   Otherwise, I think he could potentially help a lot of mids, including Valpo.

vu72

I would be shocked if Bryce would even entertain taking Hopkins. Talent aside, the perception of Valpo taking rejects (people who have been dismissed from another team) does not further the image Valpo or Bryce is projecting.  Transfers are one thing, but this is another. I could see a state school like IUPUI taking him but his case would be problematic for many other schools.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

According to posters on the Butler board, Hopkins and his roommate were using a pellet gun to shoot at students passing by their dorm room.  He/they reportedly shot a girl in the neck.  A campus police report calls it "criminal recklessness."

For those who are not familiar with pellet guns, they are potentially very dangerous.  Pellets travel at a speed of 800-1200 FPS.  By comparison BB's shot from a standard air gun travel at appx. 500 FPS.  Pellets are oblong and have tremendous striking power for their small size.  More than the obvious risk of putting out someone's eye, etc., people have been killed by pellets on rare occasions.  Just last December a 10 year old boy in California died after being shot by a pellet gun.  The pellet traveled between his ribs and lodged in his heart.  Following is the story.  It is well worth the time to read it.

http://www.news10.net/rss/article/166458/2/Family-of-pellet-shooting-victim-wants-to-prevent-similar-tragedies 

Now knowing what he allegedly did, I'm not at all surprised that he was dismissed from the team.  In fact, if the female student they shot decides to press charges, he could be in a lot more trouble than that.  I hope he gets his life straightened around, but I now have zero interest in him ever becoming a part of the student body at VU.

valpo64

Does someone REALLY think that Bryce and Valpo might be interested in this kid?????    Get real!

valpotx

What a f'ing idiot if that is true...good riddance to a piece of crap
"Don't mess with Texas"