• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Residence Halls & apartments

Started by okinawatyphoon, April 03, 2011, 04:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on September 03, 2011, 02:16:59 PM
The dining hall building is still there, right? It's just not for dining anymore.  I was told they're using it to store surplus furniture.

that's correct, as of last december when i left.

okinawatyphoon

I drove by the University Promenade site today, and there's not much to report. The land has been cleared and is fenced off. Looks like mostly utility and site work right now. Maybe they are going to wait until the spring to start heavy construction?
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpopal

Here is an update on the Promenade construction.

"It's a little behind schedule, but the University Promenade development is finally under way, with the first building expected to be ready by August...."

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/valparaiso/article_f5dfd4aa-fe8a-5867-9116-a0c04b285d46.html

agibson

Some interesting bits like

The project calls for a three-story building on each side of University Drive with about 12,000 square feet of retail space on the first floor of each and 14 two-story condos of up to 1,600 square feet above. A small park is planned for the southwest corner of Lincolnway and University Drive, along with parking for the buildings.

Krygier said he has a tenant interested in taking all of the retail space in the first building but would not say what type of business was planned until the agreement is final. The start date for construction of the second building isn't known yet and could depend on the economy and the success in filling the first building, but he hopes to start by the time the first building is done or shortly after.

It's not clear from the article that the University has anything to do with the project.

okinawatyphoon

The university doesn't have a lot to do with the project, but seeing as how it will connect the north entrance to Lincolnway and the tenants will probably be student-oriented, it is relevant discussion here.

agibson

No question it's relevant.  It's the university's back yard.

From the language about north entrances, etc, etc.  I somehow assumed it was at least as much of a University project as Uptown East.  (e.g. maybe the university was the landowner, but it was being privately developed; or maybe some would be used as student residences, etc.)

historyman

Quote from: agibson on October 18, 2011, 09:42:26 AM
No question it's relevant.  It's the university's back yard.

From the language about north entrances, etc, etc.  I somehow assumed it was at least as much of a University project as Uptown East.  (e.g. maybe the university was the landowner, but it was being privately developed; or maybe some would be used as student residences, etc.)

I'm pretty sure that project is on a "Field-Of-Dreams" approach. "If you build it they will come." No express guarantees but just well defined economic opportunity. VU will not bad-mouth them if they do what they say they plan to do.

okinawatyphoon

Has anyone driven by the University Promenade site (intersection of Lincolnway and University) recently? Any progress?

valpopal

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on February 20, 2012, 11:08:25 PM
Has anyone driven by the University Promenade site (intersection of Lincolnway and University) recently? Any progress?

Yes, after a lull of a couple months, there is now a lot more activity. They have resumed excavation and installation of foundations on the east side of the promenade site.

okinawatyphoon

The website for University Promendade is scheduled to go live on March 1. Hopefully more details are released by then, but it seems pretty ambitious to be open by August!

okinawatyphoon

okinawatyphoon

I stopped by campus last week and saw that University Promenade's first building is well on its way to completion with the first two floors up already. the second building will be constructed based on the success of the first building. this project is really helping to transform the area.

Ralph

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on July 08, 2012, 02:33:06 AMI stopped by campus last week and saw that University Promenade's first building is well on its way to completion with the first two floors up already. the second building will be constructed based on the success of the first building. this project is really helping to transform the area.

Agreed.  It is one helluva project.

Seems just like yesterday they were beginning the project.  I remember seeing a guy (who was a dead ringer for Steve Wilkos) there laying pipe.

The best part is they are going to have not one, but two foosball tables in the common area.

moodboom

There is a patch nearby overlooking university promenade that is so beautiful that a bunch of us have been pitching tents and enjoying the sexy view.

Does anyone know when it opens?

valpopal

Huegli Hall came down today. Here is a photo I took of the old and the new, the A&S building in the background. Click on photo to enlarge it:

okinawatyphoon

Incredible photo valpopal! Some nice HDR effects going there. I had no idea that Huegli was steel-framed.

vu72

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on July 18, 2012, 10:42:51 PM
Incredible photo valpopal! Some nice HDR effects going there. I had no idea that Huegli was steel-framed.

Will add my "hear hear" to the discussion.  Great photo as it brings back memories of the "old" and adds many thoughts of all things "new"!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

moodboom

Quote from: vu72 on July 18, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
Quote from: okinawatyphoon on July 18, 2012, 10:42:51 PM

Will add my "hear hear" to the discussion.  Great photo as it brings back memories of the "old" and adds many thoughts of all things "new"!!

I can't believe someone had an entire keg in their room, back in my day campus was dry and freshmen had to go down to Sig Tau to find the kegs.

Ralph

Quote from: moodboom on July 19, 2012, 06:00:28 AM
Quote from: vu72 on July 18, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
Quote from: okinawatyphoon on July 18, 2012, 10:42:51 PMIncredible photo valpopal! Some nice HDR effects going there. I had no idea that Huegli was steel-framed.
I can't believe someone had an entire keg in their room, back in my day campus was dry and freshmen had to go down to Sig Tau to find the kegs.

Is that a Phi Psi laying in the debris in the room above the one with the keg?  Who wears yellow this time of year? :lol:

agibson

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on July 08, 2012, 02:33:06 AM
I stopped by campus last week and saw that University Promenade's first building is well on its way to completion with the first two floors up already. the second building will be constructed based on the success of the first building. this project is really helping to transform the area.

Yeah, once they started getting the building up it's gone relatively quickly.  After sitting as a big field of dirt for a long time.

I'd be happy to have the road open!  Nice to see them working a bit on the new road: putting up islands in the middle for landscaping, etc.

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on July 18, 2012, 06:07:58 PMHuegli Hall came down today. Here is a photo I took of the old and the new, the A&S building in the background. Click on photo to enlarge it:

Huegli Hall/Deaconess Hall is all gone but the rubble. And there certainly is a lot of rubble to be cleaned up before Marshall & Co. is done. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

johnny_fetla

Is the new construction one of the shovel ready jobs Obama pledged?  If so, perhaps we can make him an honorary alumni!  We made Tommy Lasorda one and look what he gave us. 

SadersofthelostArc

Coincidentally, Lasorda posts here!  Nice enough guy once you get to know him.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on July 19, 2012, 07:18:50 PM
Coincidentally, Lasorda posts here!

wrong. he's about 30 years too young to be lasorda.

SadersofthelostArc

Today's forecast says...

you're wrong!

:rotfl:

(Just bustin' your chops man...but, seriously, it's Lasorda)