• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recogntion for Rowdy

Started by crusaderguy08, September 05, 2012, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Rowdy may get invited to some camps, but won't get drafted.  He has the skill set to play in the NBA, but he has to learn to create his own shot more at that level.  He has started to do it more this year, so he can definitely get to that point.  A worst case scenario is that he will be a highly successful top player in some of the top European leagues, just as Lubos has been.  He is one of those 'fill the stat sheet' guys that teams like to have.  I see both Lubos and Rowdy as the same type of player, and am highly impressed by both.  I think that Rowdy compares favorably to Jae Crowder, who is on the Mavs.  I say this having been to several games this year, and thinking that Ryan can do the same exact stuff Jae does: 3 pt shooting, hustle rebounder, good defense, etc, for a 6'6"-6'7" SG/SF.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

I like to compare Rowdy to a poor mans Kyle Korver with better defense. Now will that defense hold up in the NBA, I doubt it.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

What he has going in his favor is his personality, though. . . (Hear me out; I realize that sounds lame):

So many NBA players flame out because they have never, in their life, NOT been the focus of every time from biddy ball to junior high to HS to AAU to college...and when suddenly they're 11th on a 12 man roster, they just kind of wilt.

Not everyone can be the star always; Rowdy can (and has) handled that in his life.  Tayshaun Prince, I think, did an excellent job of becoming a "glue guy" and so can Rowdy.

In fact, that's why less-talented people than Rowdy, like the Ben Wallaces, become 'stars' in a sense, because they do the things that STARZ don't do (rebound, defense, dive for loose balls, not to mention sit on the bench and bide their time putting in long hours after practice).
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Heck, if Larry Owens (ORU) can play a few games in the NBA, so can Rowdy!  That kid had a terrible offensive game, but was a freakish athlete
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

true.  that dude was like the second coming of Jerome Williams.

in the nba, it's like "do one thing EXCEPTIONALLY WELL or two things REALLY REALLY WELL and we will find a place to fit you in around our particular superstar (or two), depending on his own game and needs, and paternity suit obligations."
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Quote from: valpotx on March 12, 2013, 05:06:08 PM
Heck, if Larry Owens (ORU) can play a few games in the NBA, so can Rowdy!  That kid had a terrible offensive game, but was a freakish athlete

And that's why he made a roster...it's all about potential in the NBA. They can teach, or try to teach you to shoot, pass, ect...but it's hard to teach quickness and leaping ability.

IF Ryan has any shot at the NBA, he's got to fill a Matt Carroll role, which is basically a spot up 3 point shooter. He has two big weaknesses at the NBA level. Defense and the ability to get his own shot. If he can make his specialty the 3, he might stick on a team that need shooters.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

agibson

Voting ends this Sunday.
http://votelouhenson.com/
if you've not voted yet!

Some of these guys have really taken off.  Makes me wonder if there's ballot box stuffing...

Fan Voting for the Lou Henson Player of the Year ends this Sunday, 17th at 12pm EST.

Top 10 Vote-Getters:

Jerelle Benimon, Towson - 1796 votes
    Jake Cohen, Davidson - 1134 votes
    Isaiah Canaan, Murray State - 1013 votes
    Billy Baron, Canisius - 1010 votes
    Ian Clark, Belmont - 862 votes
    Tommy Brenton, Stony Brook - 774 votes
    D.J. Cooper, Ohio - 765 votes
    Juan'ya Green - 616 votes
    Ryan Broekhoff, Valparaiso - 538 votes
    Zeke Marshall, Akron - 460 votes

agibson

agibson

A little weak, perhaps, but the Lou Henson folks apparently just list 25 (Mid-Major) All Americans instead of breaking out a first team, second team, etc.

Ryan's on the list.  Noone from Detroit is.

Congratulations!

http://www.louhenson.com/

March 25, 2013

LOU HENSON ALL-AMERICA TEAM

BOSTON (MA) -- The 2013 Lou Henson All-America Team was announced on Monday.
The team includes Travis Bader (Oakland), Billy Baron (Canisius), Jerrelle Benimon (Towson), Tommy Brenton (Stony Brook), Ryan Broekhoff (Valparaiso), Isaiah Canaan (Murray State), Jackie Carmichael (Illinois State), Will Cherry (Montana), Jake Cohen (Davidson), D.J. Cooper (Ohio), Matthew Dellavedova (Saint Mary's), James Ennis (Long Beach), Shane Gibson (Sacred Heart), Juan'ya Green (Niagara), Corey Hawkins (UC Davis), Tyler Haws (BYU), Troy Huff (North Dakota), Lamont Jones (Iona), Zeke Marshall (Akron), Jake Odum (Indiana State), Jamal Olasewere (LIU-Brooklyn), Keith Rendleman (UNC Wilmington), Augustine Rubit (South Alabama), Colt Ryan (Evansville), Taylor Smith (Stephen F. Austin).

Rather than assemble a first team, second team, third team and honorable mention; the Lou Heson All-America team is one squad consisting one 25 players.

The Lou Henson Award is presented annually to the top Mid-Major player in Division I college basketball. The award is named in honor of Lou Henson who retired after a spectacular coaching career that lasted 41 years.

When he left the game in 2005 he was sixth all-time in career Division I wins with 779. He is the winningest coach at both Illinois and New Mexico State. He is one of only 12 coaches in the history of the game to take two schools to the Final Four.

The 2013 Award will be presented at the CollegeInsider.com awards banquet in Atlanta, site of the men's NCAA Basketball Championship.

Travis Bader    6-5    Jr.    Oakland
Billy Baron    6-2    Jr.    Canisius
Jerrelle Benimon    6-8    Jr.    Towson
Tommy Brenton    6-5    Sr.    Stony Brook
Ryan Broekhoff    6-7    Sr.    Valparaiso
Isaiah Canaan    6-1    Sr.    Murray State
Jackie Carmichael    6-9    Sr.    Illinois State
Will Cherry    6-1    Sr.    Montana
Jake Cohen    6-10    Sr.    Davidson
D.J. Cooper    6-0    Sr.    Ohio
Matthew Dellavedova    6-4    Sr.    Saint Mary's
James Ennis    6-7    Sr.    Long Beach
Shane Gibson    6-2    Sr.    Sacred Heart
Juan'ya Green    6-3    So.    Niagara
Corey Hawkins    6-3    So.    UC Davis
Tyler Haws    6-5    So.    BYU
Troy Huff    6-5    Jr.    North Dakota
Lamont Jones    6-0    Sr.    Iona
Zeke Marshall    7-0    Sr.    Akron
Jake Odum    6-4    Jr.    Indiana State
Jamal Olasewere    6-7    Sr.    LIU-Brooklyn
Keith Rendleman    6-8    Sr.    UNC-Wilmington
Augustine Rubit    6-7    Jr.    South Alabama
Colt Ryan    6-5    Sr.    Evansville
Taylor Smith    6-6    Sr.    Stephen F. Austin

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on March 25, 2013, 05:25:57 PM
A little weak, perhaps, but the Lou Henson folks apparently just list 25 (Mid-Major) All Americans instead of breaking out a first team, second team, etc.

Ryan's on the list.  Noone from Detroit is.

Congratulations!

http://www.louhenson.com/

March 25, 2013

LOU HENSON ALL-AMERICA TEAM

BOSTON (MA) -- The 2013 Lou Henson All-America Team was announced on Monday.
The team includes Travis Bader (Oakland), Billy Baron (Canisius), Jerrelle Benimon (Towson), Tommy Brenton (Stony Brook), Ryan Broekhoff (Valparaiso), Isaiah Canaan (Murray State), Jackie Carmichael (Illinois State), Will Cherry (Montana), Jake Cohen (Davidson), D.J. Cooper (Ohio), Matthew Dellavedova (Saint Mary's), James Ennis (Long Beach), Shane Gibson (Sacred Heart), Juan'ya Green (Niagara), Corey Hawkins (UC Davis), Tyler Haws (BYU), Troy Huff (North Dakota), Lamont Jones (Iona), Zeke Marshall (Akron), Jake Odum (Indiana State), Jamal Olasewere (LIU-Brooklyn), Keith Rendleman (UNC Wilmington), Augustine Rubit (South Alabama), Colt Ryan (Evansville), Taylor Smith (Stephen F. Austin).

Rather than assemble a first team, second team, third team and honorable mention; the Lou Heson All-America team is one squad consisting one 25 players.

The Lou Henson Award is presented annually to the top Mid-Major player in Division I college basketball. The award is named in honor of Lou Henson who retired after a spectacular coaching career that lasted 41 years.

When he left the game in 2005 he was sixth all-time in career Division I wins with 779. He is the winningest coach at both Illinois and New Mexico State. He is one of only 12 coaches in the history of the game to take two schools to the Final Four.

The 2013 Award will be presented at the CollegeInsider.com awards banquet in Atlanta, site of the men's NCAA Basketball Championship.

Travis Bader    6-5    Jr.    Oakland
Billy Baron    6-2    Jr.    Canisius
Jerrelle Benimon    6-8    Jr.    Towson
Tommy Brenton    6-5    Sr.    Stony Brook
Ryan Broekhoff    6-7    Sr.    Valparaiso
Isaiah Canaan    6-1    Sr.    Murray State
Jackie Carmichael    6-9    Sr.    Illinois State
Will Cherry    6-1    Sr.    Montana
Jake Cohen    6-10    Sr.    Davidson
D.J. Cooper    6-0    Sr.    Ohio
Matthew Dellavedova    6-4    Sr.    Saint Mary's
James Ennis    6-7    Sr.    Long Beach
Shane Gibson    6-2    Sr.    Sacred Heart
Juan'ya Green    6-3    So.    Niagara
Corey Hawkins    6-3    So.    UC Davis
Tyler Haws    6-5    So.    BYU
Troy Huff    6-5    Jr.    North Dakota
Lamont Jones    6-0    Sr.    Iona
Zeke Marshall    7-0    Sr.    Akron
Jake Odum    6-4    Jr.    Indiana State
Jamal Olasewere    6-7    Sr.    LIU-Brooklyn
Keith Rendleman    6-8    Sr.    UNC-Wilmington
Augustine Rubit    6-7    Jr.    South Alabama
Colt Ryan    6-5    Sr.    Evansville
Taylor Smith    6-6    Sr.    Stephen F. Austin

Where the heck is Dougie McBuckets on this list?

agibson

Argh, dangit.  McCallum and, presumably, your McBuckets are on their "overall" list.
http://www.luteolsonaward.com/

McBuckets apparently won that award last year.

March 25, 2013

LUTE OLSON ALL-AMERICA TEAM

BOSTON (MA) -- The 2013 Lute Olson All-America Team was announced on Monday. 

The team includes Anthony Bennett (UNLV), Trey Burke (Michigan), Ian Clark (Belmont), Ramon Galloway (La Salle), Erick Green (Virginia Tech), Shane Larkin (Miami), Ray McCallum (Detroit), Doug McDermott (Creighton), Ben McLemore (Kansas), Shabazz Muhammad (UCLA), Mike Muscala (Bucknell), Victor Oladipo (Indiana), Kelly Olynyk (Gonzaga), Mason Plumlee (Duke), Otto Porter, Jr. (Georgetown), Marcus Smart (Oklahoma State), Russ Smith (Louisville), Deshaun Thomas (Ohio State), Jeff Withey (Kansas), Nate Wolters (South Dakota State), Cody Zeller (Indiana).

Rather than assemble a first team, second team, third team and honorable mention; the Lute Olson All-America team is one squad consisting one 21 players.

The Lute Olson Award is presented annually to the nation's top Division I player who has played at least two seasons with his respective team. Freshmen and first-year transfers can be named to the All-America team, but are not eligible to receive the Player of the Year honors.

The award is named in honor of coaching great Lute Olson, who won 780 games in 34 seasons, 24 of which were spent at the University of Arizona. During that stretch he led the Wildcats to 11 Pac-10 Conference titles, 23 consecutive NCAA Tournaments, four Final Four appearances and a National Championship in 1997.

Anthony Bennett    6-8    Fr.    UNLV
Trey Burke    6-0    So.    Michigan
Ian Clark    6-3    Sr.    Belmont
Ramon Galloway    6-3    Sr.    La Salle
Erick Green    6-3    Sr.    Virginia Tech
Shane Larkin    5-11    So.    Miami
Ray McCallum    6-3    Jr.    Detroit
Doug McDermott    6-8    Jr.    Creighton
Ben McLemore    6-5    Fr.    Kansas
Shabazz Muhammad    6-6    Fr.    UCLA
Mike Muscala    6-11    Sr.    Bucknell
Victor Oladipo    6-5    Jr.    Indiana
Kelly Olynyk    7-0    Jr.    Gonzaga
Mason Plumlee    6-10    Sr.    Duke
Otto Porter, Jr    6-8    So.    Georgetown
Marcus Smart    6-4    Fr.    Oklahoma State
Russ Smith    6-0    Jr.    Louisville
Deshaun Thomas    6-7    Jr.    Ohio State
Jeff Withey    7-0    Sr.    Kansas
Nate Wolters    6-4    Sr.    South Dakota State
Cody Zeller    7-0    So.    Indiana

valpopal

Rowdy will be playing in the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament later this week. The NBA coach for his team will be Scottie Pippen. Congratulations and good luck to Ryan!

Invited players participating: https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/ROSTERS.html

Rowdy's Team: https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/K_D_Round_s.html

PS: It appears he will be wearing Bryce's number #24, and unless he's been binge eating the last two weeks, there does seem to be an error in Rowdy's listing, where he is set at 6'7" and 250 lbs!  :o

classof2014

Quote from: valpopal on April 06, 2013, 09:45:42 AM
Rowdy will be playing in the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament later this week. The NBA coach for his team will be Scottie Pippen. Congratulations and good luck to Ryan!

Invited players participating: https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/ROSTERS.html

Rowdy's Team: https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/K_D_Round_s.html

PS: It appears he will be wearing Bryce's number #24, and unless he's been binge eating the last two weeks, there does seem to be an error in Rowdy's listing, where he is set at 6'7" and 250 lbs!  :o

Congrats to Rowdy!!! If he does well he could be nba bound! And if he is 250 lbs then I'm really 6' 4"!

VU75

Might be an advantage to have point forward Scottie Pippin as a coach.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on April 06, 2013, 09:45:42 AMRowdy will be playing in the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament later this week.

Neat!

I don't know anything about this tournament, or those like it. What's the scoop?

Is this for real draft prospects?  Hopefuls without an outside chance?   Some mix?  Something else?

Looks like three games.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on April 06, 2013, 12:28:16 PM
Quote from: valpopal on April 06, 2013, 09:45:42 AMRowdy will be playing in the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament later this week.

Neat!

I don't know anything about this tournament, or those like it. What's the scoop?

Is this for real draft prospects?  Hopefuls without an outside chance?   Some mix?  Something else?

Looks like three games.

This is for real and for draft prospects. BWood did not get an invite as I recall.  Only the lottery picks would skip this sort of tourney.  Sure hope he opens some eyes!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

The last person we had participate was Dan Oppland.  Before that, I think either Grafs and/or just Lubos.  This Invitational is only for Seniors, so it is not all NBA level talent.  Many international teams go to it as well, so it is mainly to get top talent overseas, and maybe a few secound round NBA guys/NBDL players.  Definitely a great thing to be a part of regardless though!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

I've heard this is for NBA prospects, partially to have fill NBDL rosters/NBA Summer League rosters, and to get some exposure to international leagues as well. Not that Ryan probably needs a lot of exposure to international teams, but if he can be a roster filler in the NBA Summer League or in the NBDL, why not take a shot?

IrishDawg

Wasn't sure where I should post this at, but here's the box score from Broekhoff's first game at the PIT.  Pretty solid all around game.

https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/uploads/2013GM1.pdf

classof2014

Broekhoff went for 12 points on 5 of 10 shooting tonight in just 23 minutes of game time. Also had 3 boards and 3 assists, as their team won 91 to 67.

Not a bad night for Rowdy!

https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/uploads/2013GM1.pdf

LaPorteAveApostle

YEAH K & D ROUNDSCAPING!!!!!!!!

Seriously, sounds like their jerseys are sponsored by the same people that sponsored my 1987 T-Ball league team.

valporun

Sounds a tad like the Cape Cod Baseball League, the teams have local sponsors, although they have real team names. Great to hear that Rowdy is doing well, looking like the type of guy that could be some quick energy off the bench for a European team. It would take some time before he became a European team starter, maybe after some kind of physical weight gain, either in terms of muscle  build or pounds.

agibson

Looks like he's holding his own, at least.  Did have three turnovers.  And, it seems like a guard (Elijah Johnson) took care of some of the "cleaning up the defensive glass" duties that seemed to be Ryan's for the first two-thirds of Valpo's season.