723 Posts
42 Users
112 Reactions
31.1 K Views
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Posted by: @valpopal

Posted by: @vok22

those are his junior year stats, his most recent year he averaged 17.5 ppg on 54% from the field and 43% from 3. Through 3 years combined he’s shooting 38% from three for his career. 

His name is spelled Amiri.

Apologies, spamming Grammarly autocorrect failed me. THis is a kid we need to push for. Having that senior presence on the court, and he is a fast player which fits into Powell's play style. 

He is also a top 10 3 point shooter in D2. We need presence beyond the arc.

This post was modified 2 months ago by ReZyNeZy

Posted : 03/14/2024 4:43 PM
(@justducky)
Freshman

Amiri Stewart does look interesting. Experience, steals, assists, some blocks plus he can shoot. The only obvious drawback I'm seeing is that he might need to take major minutes from Stafford. Hmmm! Maybe I've just answered my own question? Hmm  

This post was modified 2 months ago by justducky

Posted : 03/14/2024 4:49 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

BREAKING NEWS

Paul Oren Posts that according to Cooper Schwieger's IG account. He is staying with Valpo

https://twitter.com/TVBOren/status/1768395858976846296

This post was modified 2 months ago by ReZyNeZy

Posted : 03/14/2024 4:58 PM
 jd24
(@jd24)
Freshman

With the links to Guards, I wonder if Roger has told a few that it might be best for them to move on.

Posted : 03/14/2024 8:59 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@jd24 I don't expect to see Edwards next year. He and Powell did not mesh together too well

Posted : 03/14/2024 9:10 PM
(@rs1207)
Freshman

I noticed that there have been at least 7 transfers from Pepperdine. ReZyNeZy mentioned cord Stansberry earlier. With Coach Powell coming from West Coast Conference I wonder if he may try and contact some of the players he may familiar with, Michael Ajayi a 6'7  Junior G/F averaged 17.2 ppg 9.5 rpg and shot 46% from 3 pts.   Jevon Porter a 6'11 Soph F averaged 14.9 ppg and 6 rpg.   Houston Mallette a 6'5 Junior G averaged 14.7 ppg shot 42% from 3 pt.   Malik Moore a 6'5 Soph G averaged 9 ppg and shot 36% from 3 pt.   Plus several other players who averaged 4 to 5 ppg. Most are from California. Ajayi from Washington while Porter is from Columbia MO. He has 2 brothers in NBA who played at U. of Missouri. 

Posted : 03/14/2024 9:45 PM
ReZyNeZy reacted
 jd24
(@jd24)
Freshman

Posted by: @rezynezy

@jd24 I don't expect to see Edwards next year. He and Powell did not mesh together too well

I had the same vibe from Powell. I just now noticed Edwards is listed as a guard. He plays like a weak 3.

The front court, absent Cooper, needs to be beefed up. I'm not a big fan of Ola, Sepp nor do I have faith in Manyang healing up...assuming that was the issue

Posted : 03/14/2024 11:06 PM
(@valpotx)
Freshman

Great to see on Cooper.  I look forward to his development heading into next season, especially in the weight room.  If Manyang can't stay healthy, we need Powell to get us a big or two, so that Cooper can play a more natural PF role, versus being the big man at all times.  Maybe Scroggins is like Jubril, and can be a C/PF hybrid at times?

I'm all for going the D-2 route, if we can get an absolute stud that set records at their school, similar to Kevion Taylor.  Those are the types of D-2 guys we should target, and no offense to those that came the year after, but less of the non-Kevion Taylors

This post was modified 2 months ago by valpotx

Posted : 03/15/2024 3:55 AM
(@vok22)
Freshman

One guy to keep an eye on as far as incoming transfers could be Olivet Naz’s Tyler Schmidt. He’s played 3 years at Olivet and most recently averaged 21ppg on 61% from the field and is a career 41% from three. He’s D3, but a shooter is a shooter, the court is still the same size in D1. Oh yea… he’s from Valpo, a graduate of Victory Christian Academy. I’d keep an eye out. 

Posted : 03/15/2024 7:01 AM
(@rs1207)
Freshman

In regards to vok22 comments on Tyler Schmidt.  He was at Olivet 4 years and scored 2243 points. Career 41.6% 3 point shooter. 82.5 % free throw. 6'4 guard that i imagine played some forward also. Olivet is a NAIA school which i would assume be similar to D3 in NCAA. One year left with covid year .  I understand that he would like to play at a school near his hometown. 

Posted : 03/15/2024 8:35 AM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@jd24 Sepp had his moments, I feel like he just needs a little more develop. He showed promise during the Ill State Game. Just needs to put in work in the weight room and in the gym taking shots.

Posted : 03/15/2024 8:57 AM
 jd24
(@jd24)
Freshman

Posted by: @vok22

but a shooter is a shooter, the court is still the same size in D1.

There seems to be a lot of, particularly recent, evidence that this is not the case.

Posted : 03/15/2024 9:54 AM
 jd24
(@jd24)
Freshman

Posted by: @rezynezy

@jd24 Sepp had his moments, I feel like he just needs a little more develop. He showed promise during the Ill State Game. Just needs to put in work in the weight room and in the gym taking shots.

Sepp's issue is that he's a tweener in multiple facets of the game. He's not all that tall, he doesn't appear to jump well nor is he all that quick. He doesn't look like he has much of an outside shot and he's not particularly aggressive. His best role would be as a back to the basket inside player but I don't think he's big enough in terms of height to be all that effective.

Posted : 03/15/2024 9:57 AM
(@fwalum)
Freshman

Posted by: @rs1207

Olivet is a NAIA school which i would assume be similar to D3 in NCAA.

Having coached at a high level NAIA program, I would say since D3 schools can not offer athletic scholarhips and NAIA schools can offer the equivalent of 8 full athletic scholarships in basketball, higher level NAIA schools have talent similar to mid level D2 programs. We had a number of players go on to play in europe and a few even in the G league. Local schools Indiana Wesleyan (Greg Tonagel) and Grace would be competetive in D2.

Posted : 03/15/2024 4:22 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Olivet also has connections to the area. VHS football uses the university for a lock-in every year.

Posted : 03/15/2024 5:25 PM
Page 2 / 49

Share: