• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2020-2021

Started by VU2014, August 02, 2020, 08:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I thought it was about time we started this 2020-2021 season thread.

Fingers crossed we have a College Basketball Season...

VU2014

VUGrad1314

Welcome Sheldon and the new recruits! Welcome back to the rest of the team and staff! Practice hard but stay safe stay healthy and stay well! Go Valpo!

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 02, 2020, 08:20:25 PM
Welcome Sheldon and the new recruits! Welcome back to the rest of the team and staff! Practice hard but stay safe stay healthy and stay well! Go Valpo!

You didn't say "stay the hell away from me" and where a mask.

VU2014

They just cancelled the Pioneer Football League season... Basketball and Football aren't played during the same season but I don't feel confident we'll have a basketball season this year. Or at least one that starts in November. Maybe they push it back to the Spring?

NativeCheesehead

Seems inevitable we'll head to a 'conference games only' season in January and try to buy some time until then. It honestly makes no sense to commit to anything until they see how the whole mess with sending K-12 back to school works.

VUGrad1314

If we have a conference games only season I am all for the STL Bubble idea. Let the students do their work online. It will be much safer for the athletes and will provide for a very interesting conference tournament (if we have one).

vu84v2

The only way that I see college basketball (and other sports, such as volleyball) working for the 2020-2021 season is to do a series of bubbles within the conference. Groups of four or five teams get together in a location after the players and staff have been tested several times during the prior week. They are isolated in that one location and play a round robin (three games in three days or four games in four days). No fans. Players and staff are tested daily within the bubble. Then they do a bubble with different teams from the conference a few weeks later. Not really sure if even that would work.

Additionally, if that method was deemed to be reasonably safe and effective, such a method may not make financial sense for conferences or sports that do not get significant TV revenue. Thus, you could see the ACC and Big Ten having some sort of season, but mid-major and lower conferences canceling their seasons.

vu84v2

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 07, 2020, 10:03:18 AM
If we have a conference games only season I am all for the STL Bubble idea. Let the students do their work online. It will be much safer for the athletes and will provide for a very interesting conference tournament (if we have one).

Doesn't that prioritize college sports too much versus education? One thing that has become apparent during the pandemic is that online education is significantly inferior versus in-person and people are realizing that. Additionally, while there is the stereotype that college athletes are not serious students - that does not really hold for many athletes. Many study fields like engineering, sciences, business, etc. where online education is not feasible (due to classes needing hands on labs or not enough bandwidth to offer upper level classes in multiple modalities - in-person, hybrid, online).

crusadermoe

What would be competitive opportunities?   Not inviting jokes.  I'm serious.   

But the good news is we will finish the season undefeated for the first time in decades.

vu84v2

Quote from: crusadermoe on August 10, 2020, 11:04:36 AM
What would be competitive opportunities?   Not inviting jokes.  I'm serious.   

But the good news is we will finish the season undefeated for the first time in decades.

I could see Valpo's football program trying to use a model like golf and some other college sports use. Play a few games in the fall against very local opponents (likely not D1) and then try to play a conference schedule in the spring. The challenge with such a plan is that players may lose a year of eligibility for ultimately playing one or two games against low tier opponents.

wh

I had a chance encounter with Sig and Emil this afternoon. I told them I was a season ticket holder and wished them my best this season. Sig replied with a chuckle, "Let's hope we have a basketball season." I agreed, wished them luck in the classroom, and that was it. Nice kids.

JD24

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 11, 2020, 10:46:33 AM
Quote from: crusadermoe on August 10, 2020, 11:04:36 AMWhat would be competitive opportunities?   Not inviting jokes.  I'm serious. But the good news is we will finish the season undefeated for the first time in decades.
I could see Valpo's football program trying to use a model like golf and some other college sports use. Play a few games in the fall against very local opponents (likely not D1) and then try to play a conference schedule in the spring. The challenge with such a plan is that players may lose a year of eligibility for ultimately playing one or two games against low tier opponents.
The eligibility issue only affects a few players each year anyway. Shouldn't be a major factor.

VUBBFan

Got a call from the ticket office today asking if I was interested in renewing my season tickets. They are cautiously preparing for a possible season. They said there would be some seating changes and could not guarantee where anyone would end up. Looks like they are going to try to social distance and trying to determine how much interest here is, in people coming out to the games.

Sounds like they are not sure if the season is on or not, but are at least making some sort of plan if there is one. I'm hoping it happens.

VUGrad1314

I'm honestly not sure if I'll be coming out for games until there is a vaccine for this. I will still be following the games on the radio and will still comment on game threads but it may be awhile before I attend another game in person.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 09, 2020, 11:56:06 PM
I'm honestly not sure if I'll be coming out for games until there is a vaccine for this. I will still be following the games on the radio and will still comment on game threads but it may be awhile before I attend another game in person.

I believe you can still watch them for free on the internet. At least the Valpo home games. There should be at least 9 conference home games.

vu84v2

Quote from: bbtds on September 12, 2020, 03:17:10 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 09, 2020, 11:56:06 PM

I believe you can still watch them for free on the internet. At least the Valpo home games. There should be at least 9 conference home games.

I strongly doubt that there will be home games (conference or otherwise). Do you see teams making road trips for one or two games each trip?

My guess is that one of two things will happen for the Missouri Valley. 1. There will be a series of bubbles in which four or five teams go to one location for a long weekend and play games against each other. It is unlikely that fans attend these games. 2. There will be no Missouri Valley basketball regular season, but there will be some form of conference tournament.

The need to generate revenue, while maintaining safety, will drive these decisions. Traveling is only going to take place if it can be done safely and there is revenue to offset the cost. Without fans in attendance, this mean TV revenue...which is not huge for the Missouri Valley. Hence, my second option is probably what will most likely happen (the tournament would have more TV revenue and may be needed to place teams into the NCAA tournament).

VALPO LI

Any talk about staying in Nashville and playing at Vanderbilt?  Maybe play the season opener on the 25th?
Shine on Vu

VUBBFan

Vanderbuilt
Quote from: VALPO LI on September 25, 2020, 05:20:39 AMAny talk about staying in Nashville and playing at Vanderbilt?  Maybe play the season opener on the 25th?

Since Vandy owes us a game, it would make sense to try and make that date happens. It seems logical, but when does common sense prevail when scheduling Power conferences with Mid-Majors?

justducky

Quote from: VUBBFan on September 25, 2020, 12:21:16 PM
Vanderbuilt
Quote from: VALPO LI on September 25, 2020, 05:20:39 AMAny talk about staying in Nashville and playing at Vanderbilt?  Maybe play the season opener on the 25th?

Since Vandy owes us a game, it would make sense to try and make that date happens. It seems logical, but when does common sense prevail when scheduling Power conferences with Mid-Majors?
Didn't they pay us something like $225,000 just to get out of the whole mess? Obviously "mess" would be viewing things from the Vandy perspective but do either they or we have any additional contractual obligations? Could somebody accurately bring us up to date?