• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #4: (HOMECOMING) University of Charleston @Valpo, 09/28 1:00pm

Started by VULB#62, September 22, 2019, 03:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Here's our first realistic opportunity for a win. U of C won Saturday over winless West Virginia Wesleyan.

NCAA DII - Mountain East Conference
RECORD - 2-1
Valpo is their only OOC game
Only loss so far is to Urbana University (OH) 20-28. Out-gained by UU 247-396

Last Game:  beat West Virginia Wesleyan

WVWC   UofC
SCORE - 29     34
YARDS - 283   487
PASS - 251   448
RUSH - 32    45
1st DNs - 17   19

Valpo2013

Are we getting smarter /strategic about scheduling a team on HC that we can beat up on?....hopefully

valpofb16

We are now predicted to lose this game via Massey. Only win projected is Morehead St.

Charleston gave undefeated Urbana a run for their money. They average 56.3 yards per game on the ground and 369 in the air! They already have 10 passing touchdowns. They start a fifth year senior at QB who is having great success in the air even with their subpar run game.They are about 6'2 290 across the board on oline, all of which are upperclassmen. They have seniors and redshirt juniors littered through their other skill positions.

Their Dline are all upperclassmen, one 220 lb end the rest range from 280-320. Have accounted for 5.5 sacks, Only one interception on defense so far.

Moral of the story we are playing yet another scholarship school on pace for a winning season. Our offense has been abysmal so far this season and we gave up i believe 3 true defensive scores to Truman.

I don't believe we are in position to win this week nor have the more experienced talent. I am going to say Charleston 24 Valparaiso University 10. Once again I am hoping we are wrong, however I am hearing that their may be a shift from Chris Duncan at QB as soon as this week.

usc4valpo

I think the intent was an easy win over a ham and eager team, but not today. I think Valpo will win but I have also been optimistic in my predictions the past 2 games.

valpofb16

Also if Dcannon is a relative to Duncan claiming he's just going to enter the transfer portal. There is absolutely 0, I mean 0, reason he should take a single snap at Valpo. 

VULB#62

Only if Chris tells the staff he is transferring. But, despite previous statements by Chris' supporter, does anyone think that statement will ever be made before the season is over?  Maybe if he loses his slot and doesn't see any PT, then that might happen.

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 22, 2019, 06:45:56 PM
I think the intent was an easy win over a ham and eager team, but not today. I think Valpo will win but I have also been optimistic in my predictions the past 2 games.
Didn't someone drop football causing us to scramble for this game? Malone, perhaps

bbtds

University of Charleston 24
Valpo. 20

I think that is very favorable to VU and I take no joy in that prediction at all. But when realistically predicting you have to take the emotion out of it and think like an outside prognosticater.

vu84v2

Just for clarity, this is the University of Charleston in West Virginia. College of Charleston, to my knowledge, does not have football.

football1960

the New OC needs to have Duncan run more like RPOs just a thought!  Does any of you insiders   know why Kyle Cartales did not play Saturday.

usc4valpo

he did play Saturday and was pretty much stuffed at the line of scrimage.

football1960

thanks.. they got to get Kyle on the outside like a quick pass he is not a grinding RB. 

NWIGuy

Been lurking for a bit. Attended the home game vs. CCSU, watched a practice or two near the end of fall camp, and been trying to watch the games online. "Empty nesters" tend to have some time on their hands...

Some thoughts, but where to start?

The challenges in adapting to a complete change in offensive and defensive systems AFTER Spring Break cannot be understated.

The challenges associated adapting to an entirely new coaching staff AFTER Spring Break cannot be understated.

The challenges presented by previous staff announcing departure ON NATIONAL SIGNING DAY cannot be understated.

These are not excuses, but rather explanations. Non-scholarship football is particularly vulnerable to these types of changes, especially at a place like Valpo where the football program already faces challenges that have been well-documented in other posts.

Some specifics as I see it...

1) OL is pretty light and young (in terms of career starts). This, of course, effects both our ability to protect the QB and run the ball effectively. Loss of two 5th year seniors starters (at RG & RT) was devastating, especially considering that 3 of the OL brought in for fall 2018 were UNDER 230 lbs. and that 50% of that incoming group of OL is no longer in program. What remains of that group and the 5 Fr OL that came in for this fall just aren't ready yet.  Jarnigan and Vas are very good, Lundberg seems to hold his own, but is light for his frame.

2) Offense is clearly designed for a healthy, effective Seawald, and he's just not the same as he was in 2017. Seems objectively obvious that Duncan is not ready. While there are issues with WRs creating separation/finding windows and with protection, Duncan misses entirely too many throws when there is a man open and he is not under pressure. Most important quality in a QB is leadership and presence. Decision making and accuracy are next. Seawald is the answer, even if the throws he can make are limited.  He'll limit turnovers and do a better job of running the entire offense. Is it me, or do the other players seem to respond better to the guy they elected captain?

3) RB is deepest, most experienced, and most talented group of our offense skill positions. I'd like to see OC find a way to get 2 backs in the game more often, use them creatively, etc.

4) Defense is struggling with complete change in structure and philosophy. Kids who were recruited as LBs and have never played a snap on the LOS find themselves playing DE. LBs playing S, etc. They will get better and staff will be able to recruit the kids they need in the right spots going forward. DL group will also get bigger.

5) Hoping the players are hanging in together, that they are willing to fight to right the ship. The backward slide can be very tough thing to overcome. Anyone have a feel for the pulse of the team right now?

As for the future...

Will be interesting to the progress new S & C guy can make with an ENTIRE off-season. Is access to a Training Table a possibility? Man would that help.

Will be interesting to see how well the new staff can recruit in their first full cycle.

Another poster mentioned offensive scheme, using rise of Davidson as an example. I'd have to agree. Davidson's "triple gun option" has created a unique challenge to opposing teams. The flexbone is similar, Citadel's win over GaTech a week ago and the continued success of the service academies in spite of being undersized and arguably under supported relative to the rest of the teams in their conference, are good examples.  I suppose you could go the other way and go Air Raid (Leach, Wash St., etc.)

When you try to do the same things as other teams with less talent, it's a tough road. Moving to something like this takes some serious buy-in, but would be an interesting way for the Crusaders to go.

Hopeful for a Homecoming win this week. Would be good for the entire Valpo community.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

The Tulane game must have tipped the iceberg. I am happy college athletes are getting some freedom and stuff as they make big dollars to the school, but is it getting out of hand.

bbtds

Quote from: vu84v2 on September 23, 2019, 08:28:02 AM
Just for clarity, this is the University of Charleston in West Virginia. College of Charleston, to my knowledge, does not have football.

My mistake. University of Charleston. I will correct it.

usc4valpo

I think that's where the Chiefs play. I hope the Hanson brothers are not starting at linebacker,

JD24

Quote from: NWIGuy on September 23, 2019, 01:05:12 PMBeen lurking for a bit. Attended the home game vs. CCSU, watched a practice or two near the end of fall camp, and been trying to watch the games online. "Empty nesters" tend to have some time on their hands... Some thoughts, but where to start? The challenges in adapting to a complete change in offensive and defensive systems AFTER Spring Break cannot be understated. The challenges associated adapting to an entirely new coaching staff AFTER Spring Break cannot be understated. The challenges presented by previous staff announcing departure ON NATIONAL SIGNING DAY cannot be understated. These are not excuses, but rather explanations. Non-scholarship football is particularly vulnerable to these types of changes, especially at a place like Valpo where the football program already faces challenges that have been well-documented in other posts. Some specifics as I see it... 1) OL is pretty light and young (in terms of career starts). This, of course, effects both our ability to protect the QB and run the ball effectively. Loss of two 5th year seniors starters (at RG & RT) was devastating, especially considering that 3 of the OL brought in for fall 2018 were UNDER 230 lbs. and that 50% of that incoming group of OL is no longer in program. What remains of that group and the 5 Fr OL that came in for this fall just aren't ready yet.  Jarnigan and Vas are very good, Lundberg seems to hold his own, but is light for his frame. 2) Offense is clearly designed for a healthy, effective Seawald, and he's just not the same as he was in 2017. Seems objectively obvious that Duncan is not ready. While there are issues with WRs creating separation/finding windows and with protection, Duncan misses entirely too many throws when there is a man open and he is not under pressure. Most important quality in a QB is leadership and presence. Decision making and accuracy are next. Seawald is the answer, even if the throws he can make are limited.  He'll limit turnovers and do a better job of running the entire offense. Is it me, or do the other players seem to respond better to the guy they elected captain? 3) RB is deepest, most experienced, and most talented group of our offense skill positions. I'd like to see OC find a way to get 2 backs in the game more often, use them creatively, etc. 4) Defense is struggling with complete change in structure and philosophy. Kids who were recruited as LBs and have never played a snap on the LOS find themselves playing DE. LBs playing S, etc. They will get better and staff will be able to recruit the kids they need in the right spots going forward. DL group will also get bigger. 5) Hoping the players are hanging in together, that they are willing to fight to right the ship. The backward slide can be very tough thing to overcome. Anyone have a feel for the pulse of the team right now? As for the future... Will be interesting to the progress new S & C guy can make with an ENTIRE off-season. Is access to a Training Table a possibility? Man would that help. Will be interesting to see how well the new staff can recruit in their first full cycle. Another poster mentioned offensive scheme, using rise of Davidson as an example. I'd have to agree. Davidson's "triple gun option" has created a unique challenge to opposing teams. The flexbone is similar, Citadel's win over GaTech a week ago and the continued success of the service academies in spite of being undersized and arguably under supported relative to the rest of the teams in their conference, are good examples.  I suppose you could go the other way and go Air Raid (Leach, Wash St., etc.) When you try to do the same things as other teams with less talent, it's a tough road. Moving to something like this takes some serious buy-in, but would be an interesting way for the Crusaders to go. Hopeful for a Homecoming win this week. Would be good for the entire Valpo community.
Spectacular post.

Your comments regarding Seewald are obviously observations which others have seen as well. As to the two backs idea, Valpo's been playing with Boxrucker with or behind the QB and Cartales as a wing which he's run out of a few times but he seems to be used as more of a pass catcher from this position. He's a very good pass catcher but I don't think his best attribute is running what amounts to speed outs. He's best lining up in the backfield and running more north south. However he has not looked as aggressive this year as in the past.

valpofb16

Duncan's career TD-INT Ratio: 17-17
Seewald's career TD-INT Ratio: 35-20

Come on coaches be smart and start the right guy this week. Could be most winnable game of the season.

valpofb16

I have heard from within that Seewald is healthy but being managed by staff

Did not practice in spring and fall camps were limited therefore had moved to QB3 due to a lack of experience in system.

Was with first team in practice but not receiving reps. Playing Mullen over Nimz has been quite a bit puzzling.

VULB#62