• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball v. Bucknell

Started by jetz, March 14, 2013, 12:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

The next hitter hits a soft chopper to Burns that acts as a bunt.  Burns looks back the runner and makes the play to first. 
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

I believe I missed a sac bunt a while back.  Hard to keep up out here in the sticks.  The runner was at second when Burns looked him back.  His throw to first was the second out.  Worm gets another K to retire the side.  No score mid 4.

jetz

It'll be Bain to open the Valpo 4th.  He bounces to short for out #1.

jetz

Again, a correction.  It was Vavra that hit into the DP to end the 3rd, not Bain.  Back to live action--here's Loeffler w one away in the bottom of the 4th.  Bases empty.  Tough to see those Valpo numbers--white jerseys with gold numerals.  Loeffler singles out to right w one away.

jetz

Manning swings at the first pitch and hits into yet another 6-4-3.  Second inning in a row we've gone out like that.  No score after 4.

jetz

A fly ball to medium deep right center.  Manning retreats and camps under it.  One away.

jetz

Matt Busch follows with a ball to the exact same spot.  Manning again on the catch.  Two down.

jetz

Wasikowski drives a one hopper to Hara in center for a two out single.

jetz

Another single to right, and there's runners on first and second w 2 down in the top of the 5th.

jetz

Worm gets out of trouble when Johnson grabs a liner to left.  Through four and a half, there's still no score.

jetz

Another slight delay as I had to make an office visit.  I see Hara now on first base.  Johnson is batting and draws a walk.  He was looking to bunt so there's no one out.  First and second for Burns.

jetz

I have a report that Hara reached with a leadoff single up the middle.  Burns lays down a nice bunt and the throw to first goes to the screen.  Hara scores, Johnson to 3rd and Burns ends up at second.  I'd give him a hit and and error on the throw.  We lead 1-0.   :thumbsup:

jetz

Hanson now up.  He drives a ball to fairly deep right center.  Johnson tags and scores.  Burns to 3rd w one away.  VU up 2-0.   :thumbsup:

jetz

Bucknell appeals the Burns tag at 2nd and it appears he left early.  He's called out and there's two away.  Mahoney draws a walk.  Vavra acts like the ball magnet that he is and is HBP.

jetz

Bains' sinking liner to center is trapped and everybody's running.  Mahoney scoresd.  Vavra rounds third and the throw guns him down at the plate.  Valpo gets three in the fifth and leads 3-0.   :thumbsup:

jetz

Worm opens the sixth with a bouncer to Burns.  One away.  The next Braves hitter flies to medium deep left.  Johnson hauls it in for the second out.

jetz

Mahoney ranges to his left, picks up a high hop, and throws out the Bucknell runner for a quick 6th.  Valpo leads 3-0 mid 6.

jetz

Loeffler steps in.  Marcus Garone is the new Bucknell pitcher.  A shorter righty who looks pretty hittable.  Loeffler fouls a couple off, then draws a walk.

jetz

Manning's sac bunt is again misplayed by the Braves and the throw is out to right.  Loeffler to 3rd, Manning to 2nd on the error.  No outs.

jetz

Hara to bat.  Garone throwing lots of off speed.  His sinking liner gets by the diving CF and we're off to the races again.  Both runners score on the Hara triple.  Valpo now leads  5-0.  No outs bottom 6.

jetz

Johnson drives a RBI single to center and it's 6-0 Valpo.   :thumbsup:

jetz

Burns steps in as Garone is very concerned about Johnson over at first.  Burns pops out to the ss near the third base bag.  One away.

jetz

Hanson hits a one hopper to short, but Johnson's slide wipes out the 2B on the turn.  They get the force at second.  Two down w Hanson on first. 

jetz

Mahoney's walk puts runners on 1st and 2nd w two down.

jetz

After a visit to the mound, Vavra flies to right to end the inning.  Valpo leads it 6-0 after 6.