• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball v. Goshen College

Started by jetz, April 29, 2013, 03:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

I'm not getting Game Tracker or anything but an occasional tweet from Brad.  Anyone else?  BTW, I looked and Goshen is something like 4-35 this year.  Haas started and Bryce Yoder is now pitching in the third.  We lead 2-1.  Need GT!!!!!    :banghead:
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

GT hasn't worked for me over the last few baseball games
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

OK I have an inside source at the Goshen game and I'm getting text updates.  I will send them along here.  Game is tied at 4 after four and a half innings.  Trevor Haas started and left after 2 with a 2-1 lead.  Bynum had a couple of RBIs on a base hit I believe, and we jumped out 4-1.  Bryce Yoder came in to pitch and got into some trouble in the fourth when Goshen tied it at 4.  He left with the bases loaded for Ryan Kennedy.  RK got a pop up to get out of the fourth.  We went 1-2-3 in the bottom of four.  More on the way...

jetz

Kennedy allowed a Goshen runner to get to second in the top of five but got out of it with no further damage.  From Twitter:  Vavra tags a ball to deep left center that bounces over the wall for a ground rule double.  Loeffler drives in Vavra with his 27th RBI of the year, and Schneider drives in Loeffler with a sac fly.  Back to secret updater:  We lead 7-4 in the top of the sixth.  Not sure how we got the seventh run.  Loeffler's hit was another double.

jetz

Connor Buxton on to pitch in the top of the sixth.  He K's the first batter he faces for one out.  Issues a walk to the next guy.  One on, one out for Goshen.

jetz

Now Buxton gets a fly out to right.  Two down.

jetz

Seeing eye single between first and second, and Goshen has runners on first and second w two down.

jetz

Buxton is a senior who has thrown two innings in his Valpo career prior to today.  He has a 0.00 ERA.

jetz

Buxton keeps that perfect mark alive with a K to end the top of the sixth.  We move to the B6, leading 7-4.

jetz

Mahoney will lead it off in the sixth for the good guys.

jetz

Mahoney grounds out to second for the first out.

jetz

Vavra flies to right field, the Goshen Maple Leaf outfielder drifts under it, and puts it away.  Two away...

jetz

Loeffler now up.  The lefty stands in, spits a big chaw of non-tobacco juice towards the mound, and stares down the poor Goshen kid.  Unfazed, Goshen kid gets John to hack at a fastball away.  The resulting fly ball settles into the glove of the left fielder, and Valpo goes quietly in the sixth.  7-4 Saders heading into the seventh.

jetz

Connor Buxton back out on the hill.  The 6'2", corn fed Illinois righty uses a nasty slider to induce a lazy fly to right.  Can o' corn for Johnson.  One away.

jetz

Working from the windup, Buxton nods to catcher Jake Hanson and deals.  The Goshen kid flies out to Schneider in left for the second out.  Connor works a perfect seventh when the next batter again is retired on a fly ball to Johnson in right.  Mid 7, Valpo leads it 7-4.

jetz

Goshen has six hits so far and Valpo seven in the game.  Manning, the California native, surfs up to the dish.  He's been red hot since the ASU series.  He works a walk and here comes big Andrew Bynum.

jetz

The strapping young DH intimidates the Goshen pitcher with his bulking biceps.  A workout fanatic, it's a known fact that Bynum can bench press 1000 pounds.  He drills a single to left, and Manning jets to third.  Nobody out.

jetz

Shockingly, Bynum steals second.  The Maple Leaf catcher throws down after him, and Manning scoots in to score.  Now 8-4.

jetz

Now Kyle Schneider steps in.  He adjusts his cup and pops to first, but the 1B misplays the ball and and it falls in.  Now runners on 1st and 2nd, still no outs.

jetz

Score Schneider's pop up an error.  Mark Johnson, the teams best dancer, takes his stance in the left hander's batter box.  He flies out to left for the first out.  Runners stay where they are.

jetz

Jake Hanson, the young freshman catcher, bounces to third.  The 3B puts the tag on Bynum, and there's two away.

jetz

Senior Andrew Bain now up.  He singles to center!  Here comes Schneider chugging around third as Coach P waves him home.  Here's the throw, here's the play at the plate, and Schneider is....out by a bunch.   :'(  8-4 Valpo going to the top of the 8th.

jetz

Both Kennedys will see action today as now junior lefty Sean is out to make his second appearance of the year after coming off an arm injury in the off season.  He gets a ground ball to Jeff Edwards, who has checked in at third.  Edwards makes the play and there's one away.

jetz

Now a fly ball to Manning in center and there's two out for S. Kennedy.  The next guy sticks his elbow out over the plate and gets HBP.  A travesty.

jetz

No problem for Kennedy, as he gets a lazy fly to center to end the inning.  Headed to the bottom of eight, its 8-4 Crusaders here and you're listening to the Valparaiso Worldwide Sports Network....