• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

VUGrad1314

Remember that we've been blindsided before (Linssen Skara)

crusader05

He also didn't say "no movement" he said "a lot of movement". He's not gonna bite on questions that ask him about who they have their eye on without an actual announced transfer. It would be disrespectful to the team members. But, my guess is he knows enough to know that with multiple grad transfer options and just the nature of basketball some might come.

VUGrad1314

Reading Paul's tweets with Lottich does not leave me with a comfortable feeling...

crusader05

Osipoff's tweets seem to include some things Paul's didn't.

Specifically that they want to look into strength and conditioning regarding ankles.

I also got the vibe that at least in his perspective, he sees a difference between this year's team and last year's team, as well as in this team before xmas and after, in regards to attitude and skill level,which can be why he seems to focus on the injuries. Also, he seems to also notice they need to work better as a team.

He also seems to be working to not let sky high expectations surround the two transfers, I wonder if he recognized that was an issue with both Bakari and Fazekas

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 12, 2019, 02:58:01 PMGordon, Robinson, Freeman, Bradford and Sackey are perimeter players who have career 3P% of under 30%.

I thought I could get Eddie on this one but no.   :'(  Robinson shot .348 from 3 during 17-18 (16 of 46) but he was only 10 for 44 and .227 as a freshman.   :'(

VUGrad1314

So we still won't be able to shoot and still won't be able to run... Super... At least those sample sizes are small and Robinson is trending the right way...

EddieCabot

Quote from: justducky on March 12, 2019, 05:12:06 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on March 12, 2019, 02:58:01 PMGordon, Robinson, Freeman, Bradford and Sackey are perimeter players who have career 3P% of under 30%.

I thought I could get Eddie on this one but no.   :'(  Robinson shot .348 from 3 during 17-18 (16 of 46) but he was only 10 for 44 and .227 as a freshman.   :'(

I may be old, but I do have access to Al Gore's World Wide Web.  I logged onto Netscape and used WebCrawler to find a Usenet group with current stats.  Infallable!

valpospartan

Quote from: Valpo Joe on March 11, 2019, 10:07:55 PM
If I were Micha I'd look at the Div2 teams in the nine states that have legalized weed 8-) He wouldn't have to put up with the Valpo POlice and their strong armed tactics :thumbsup:

I predict that Micah will be gone.

bbtds

Quote from: valpospartan on March 13, 2019, 10:42:22 PM
Quote from: Valpo Joe on March 11, 2019, 10:07:55 PM
If I were Micha I'd look at the Div2 teams in the nine states that have legalized weed 8-) He wouldn't have to put up with the Valpo POlice and their strong armed tactics :thumbsup:

I predict that Micah will be gone.

I do think the coaches are anticipating a surprise transfer simply because they happen often and they will be concentrating on getting a guard with the shooting ability of Fazekas or better.

SanityLost17

I actually hope we have at least 1 transfer.    Look at some of the sharp shooters Drake was able to score on short notice. 

Grab a JUCO sharp shooter.

GoldenCrusader87

4throwfan

Grabbing a defender, a rebounder, and a free-throw shooter might be nice too.

bbtds

Quote from: 4throwfan on March 15, 2019, 10:41:31 AM
Grabbing a defender, a rebounder, and a free-throw shooter might be nice too.

Does anybody get recruited for only their FT shooting or were you saying to recruit a player with all those qualities?

4throwfan

bbts, you're giving me too much credit.  I didn't give it that much thought.  I was simply ranting.

However, that being said, to clarify my mindless rant, I don't think simply getting another shooter will solve the problems.  I think they're more widespread.

EddieCabot

Smits leaving, per his AAU coach.

NativeCheesehead

The exodus begins......

NativeCheesehead

I actually think Jay could thrive as the primary big man. We'll lose some inside scoring of course but I won't miss watching guards run around Derrik for a rebound.

I also don't hold this transfer against Lottich as D was one of the last true Bryce recruits on the roster.

valpolaw

Welp not really surprised but I'm really going to miss watching him complain after every foul and brick free throws

M

Not sad at all.  Good luck to him.  This could really open up the offense now.

mj

Earlier this month I said that Smits is the canary in the coal mine for this program. Where he eventually ends up will tell us even more about the state of this program.

Also worth noting that we've now lost our top 2 rebounders from last year.
I believe that we will win.

Just Sayin

Chris Ensminger couldn't do anything his first year. He had two left feet and was a huge project. But he developed into a very good big.

His senior numbers:

Chris Ensminger   SR   C 6-11   13.8 Pts, 11.5 Reb, 1.5 Ast

Smits improved scoring in his last year but he didn't come close to Ensminger in rebounds or assists.

M

I don't think we are going to notice him not being there next year.  I don't see him leaving as any knock against the coaches or the program at VU. Lets fill his spot with a shooter or a decently athletic big who likes rebounding/defending.

valpopal

Quote from: mj on March 18, 2019, 11:58:58 AM
Earlier this month I said that Smits is the canary in the coal mine for this program. Where he eventually ends up will tell us even more about the state of this program.

Also worth noting that we've now lost our top 2 rebounders from last year.

Those two players also averaged 20 points per game (30% of the team's scoring) on what seemed to be an already anemic offense. I got to know Derrik away from the ARC and in my experiences found him to be a good citizen of the university, although I expected the transfer, which I think is the best thing for him. I am admittedly biased, but I will miss him next semester on and off the court. I will follow him wherever he goes and wish him well!

NativeCheesehead

His best bet is a similarly sized school with a huge need at center. He won't sniff the NBA but could play for 10 years in Europe if he stays healthy.