• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 15, 2012, 10:03:44 AMA couple of Valpo mentions in this article also.http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/2012/04/15/news-and-notes-from-indyball-shootout/

Namely:  "Mooreville's Jacob Johnson is probably a bit under-the-radar at this point, but college coaches are starting to find out about the 6-6 left-handed rising junior. Johnson said Valparaiso, Evansville, Indiana State, Butler, Xavier and Purdue have been in contact and he hopes to visit Butler and Valparaiso this spring. The college interest is all relatively new for Johnson, who averaged 10.7 points and 6.1 rebounds as a sophomore. Didn't get to see him shoot much from the perimeter, but very athletic."

Nice to see that of the interested parties, we get one of two visits from this class of 2014 forward.  And the same thing is true of the next guy:

"Fishers point guard Jaylon Brown, who plays with [Maverick] Morgan on the Martin's Wolverines, said Illinois and Minnesota are showing new interest and that he plans to make a visit to Valparaiso soon. USC and Dayton have also made contact. The 6-foot Brown has offers from American, Evansville, Ohio and Toledo. Brown said Butler has also still been showing interest."

see our colors gleam.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

IndyValpo

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 15, 2012, 12:22:09 PM"Fishers point guard Jaylon Brown, who plays with [Maverick] Morgan on the Martin's Wolverines, said Illinois and Minnesota are showing new interest and that he plans to make a visit to Valparaiso soon. USC and Dayton have also made contact. The 6-foot Brown has offers from American, Evansville, Ohio and Toledo. Brown said Butler has also still been showing interest."

I have seen Brown play several times....he is a good one.  Pretty good shooter, very quick and athletic.

lowposter

Dominick Hawkins from Madison Central HS in Kentucky is a load.   Saw him this weekend at the Indy Ball.  He can bring it.

lowposter

vu72

Don't think this has been posted before, but here is a recent (this past year) video of our guy Clay Yeo.  Last year he missed the AAU season with an injury so I expect his "stock" to rise a bunch when others see him play.

Clay Yeo (#5)- Basketball Recruiting Video (Triton High School)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

hoopfan22

Anyone see the Edwards kid from East Chicago play? Are we on him?

valpotx

Is Yeo really 6'6"?  He doesn't look like it from those videos, unless everyone else is really tall
"Don't mess with Texas"

lowposter

Who is Clay Yeo playing with this summer? 

BTW, there is a HUGE AAU tournament this weekend at Merrillville.  The timing has changed.  The evaluation period is now 2weeks in April and 2 weeks in July.

The dog and pony show begins next weekend....all over the nation.

lowposter

valpofan11

A big guy that we can't get now is Leke Solanke from MC Marquette who just signed with Stetson apparently.

vu72

Quote from: lowposter on April 16, 2012, 04:51:08 PM
Who is Clay Yeo playing with this summer? 

BTW, there is a HUGE AAU tournament this weekend at Merrillville.  The timing has changed.  The evaluation period is now 2weeks in April and 2 weeks in July.

The dog and pony show begins next weekend....all over the nation.

lowposter

I haven't been able to find out who Clay is playing for but am pretty sure Nick is playing for Mean Streets.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

I hope it's not Indiana Elite!

lowposter

Assume your comments on Indiana Elite are based on the IE/Adidas/IU connect....correct?

Big tournament this weekend at Merrillville should be plenty of firepower.  The challenge is identification of the players.  This is an NCAA sanctioned event.

lowposter

vu72

I saw Indiana Elite play last year in Mpls.  Had Yoggi Ferrell, Perea, Ethrington etc. Also have seen them play in other years.  Always the best of the best and, I'm pretty sure Capo played with those guys.

covufan

With one more scholarship available for next year and 4/5 guards graduating in '13, would it make sense for VU to go after a transfer guard that has to sit for one year?  Dragcevich from ND, Chennault from Wake Forest, and others come to mind.

valpo84

Chennault will be staying close to Philadelphia
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpopal

ALEX ROSSI TO CHOOSE BETWEEN VALPO OR LOYOLA THIS WEEK

(Rossi had an ESPN 92 grade and was a 4-star guard coming out of high school: Scout listed him as a 3-star small forward)

Back home in Chicago, Alex Rossi expects to decide on a new college basketball destination by the end of the week. The former Cal guard said he has offers from Valparaiso and Loyola-Chicago.

He is hoping not to have to sit out a year as a transfer after returning home because of private family issues. The NCAA can waive its transfer rule in the case of hardship situations, as it did a year ago when MoMo Jones went from Arizona to Iona to be closer to his ailing grandmother.

"I don't think I'll have to sit out, but I don't know for sure," Rossi said. "The schools I'm applying to are taking care of that."

Valparaiso is on the Illinois-Indiana border, less than an hour from Chicago. "Both of them are a lot closer than California," he said.
Rossi is awaiting word from the NCAA on whether he would be allowed to accept a scholarship from Loyola, where his godfather is employed.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/beartalk/2012/04/18/basketball-valpo-or-loyola-likely-for-rossi/

valpopal

Valpo has already contacted Ohio State University's J.D. Weatherspoon (3-star 6'7" forward), who just announced his intention to transfer. So far, he has also been contacted by Toledo, Ohio, Bowling Green, and Kent St.

wh

Rossi is a 6-6 SG.  Apparently, he red-shirted as a freshman and only played in 3 games this year due to a lower abdominal injury/hernia.  In any event, it would be incredible to get a 6-6 SG that can shoot lights out.

valpopal

Another for the list of possible recruits: According to the Xavier blog, "Xavier transfer Griffin McKenzie (6'9" forward) hasn't taken any official visits yet, but has narrowed his search to Boston University, Denver, San Francisco, Furman, Dartmouth, Penn, Davidson, Valparaiso, College of Charleston and Cornell."

valpotx

We could always use a 6'9" guy, let alone from Xavier!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Based on the schools on McKenzie's list he is no stranger to the classroom.  Quite selective schools in the east and Davidson is well thought of in the south.  And of course Valpo.

valpopal

I hear 6'7" shooting guard Alec Peters (2013), good size and an excellent 3-point shot, visited campus again this weekend and was given an official scholarship offer. Peters was here on an unofficial visit back in December (see beginning of this thread). He has offers from Albany, IUPUI, IPFW, South Dakota State, UIC, Loyola, Illinois State, UW-Green Bay, and UW-Milwaukee, but he would be a good fit at Valpo, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him accept.

valpo64

I believe Alec Peters is a strong shooting big man, not a shooting Guard.   When we met Alec and his Dad during a game last season his Dad told me Alec"s strong point was that he is a very good 3-point shooter, especially for an inside guy.

hoopfan22

Nick Davidson isn't playing AAU this summer. LOL!

valpopal

Quote from: valpo64 on April 23, 2012, 08:46:39 AM
I believe Alec Peters is a strong shooting big man, not a shooting Guard.   When we met Alec and his Dad during a game last season his Dad told me Alec"s strong point was that he is a very good 3-point shooter, especially for an inside guy.

In the following video, Peters seems to spend much of his time outside rather than inside. He is an excellent outside shooter, who recently won a three-point shooting contest. Peters is tall and will get his share of rebounds, but he is a very good outside threat, somewhat like Rowdy, and I would like to see him playing in the 3 spot at Valpo or sometimes in the 4 spot only if needed.

(AMAGYLON PRESENTS) Washington Community H.S. Wing Alec Peters '13