• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball Recruiting Class

Started by vubballfan, November 15, 2012, 08:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enrico Palazzo

I'm one of two interns hired for Ryan Wronkowicz's old position in the Sports Info Dept.  The other, who will cover the other spring sports, has solid experience and is well-qualified.  The information should be posted on the site before too long.

valporun

Brad, if I remember correctly, Ryan said that Bauer Field would need all kinds of internet wiring/feeding out there at a bit of cost, so they haven't done it yet. Not sure what the new HD HL package of video stuff could do without it, but being able to see a few baseball games a year would be nice, especially now that we have a competitive team year-in and year-out. Welcome aboard, and can't wait to follow what you and the other guy will do. I'm a track and field/cross country alum, so anyway I could help with something there, I'd be happy to do what I can.

valpotx

I would love to see the games on video, but someone once mentioned it would cost upwards of $50k or more to get that capability to Emory Bauer due to no current lines being run that way or something of that sort.  Hopefully they have updated the press box since I was last playing 2003-2004, as it was in rough shape then. 

I absolutely love our updated schedule, as it is a good mix of winnable games, and challenging early/mid-season duels.  I am thinking of going to the later season Arizona State series this year, as I can turn that into a visit to my Grandma that lives sort of in that area.  Someone mentioned we will be coming to TX in 2013-2014, and I definitely look forward to those games  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Congrats, Brad!  Great to have a baseball rep onboard.  We loved the live blog that Ryan did last year, so if the video doesn't work out I hope we can continue that as a minimum for most of the games.  I know that Ryan had to do the PA as well for the home games so we couldn't get a blogger for that.  Maybe we can work out a two man deal this year for home games so we can follow those as well...(??)

I submitted  video for the HLN "Rundown" show last year and they did run most of it in their weekly highlights.  Hopefully we'll have a more complete feed this year.  Not sure what they need to get a game on their site now that they've gone to an HD format.  Just to add my two cents, Ryan told me last year that the estimate to run a wire out to the field FROM CAMPUS was $25K.  I thought that was ridiculous.  The coaches have internet in the clubhouse, and the hotel directly behind the field has to have a line to tap in to...

I like the schedule.  57 games total in the regular season.  I figure there will be a couple of cancellations, but we played a total of 60 last year and I hope we'll be a little over that this season.  Personally, I have two weeks off for the Florida swing and will make all of those games in person.   8) 

Valposter--great to have another baseball guy here.  I think you meant Miller as far as replacing the closer from last year.  Wild was the Saturday starter for most of the season.  Coming out of fall ball, pitching is the biggest question mark for the 2013 squad.  Lots of good new guys pushing for spots in the IF/OF, and some good but so far inconsistent arms.  We do have guys with some innings under their belt returning, but it remains to be seen who will step up and take the weekend/weekday starting roles.  I know, not much new info there, but I'm confident we'll get things sorted out.  Remember, Wild was a first year starter last year and ended up the HL Pitcher of the Year.     
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

Valposter

Quote from: jetz on November 27, 2012, 08:18:10 AMCongrats, Brad! Great to have a baseball rep onboard. We loved the live blog that Ryan did last year, so if the video doesn't work out I hope we can continue that as a minimum for most of the games. I know that Ryan had to do the PA as well for the home games so we couldn't get a blogger for that. Maybe we can work out a two man deal this year for home games so we can follow those as well...(??) I submitted video for the HLN "Rundown" show last year and they did run most of it in their weekly highlights. Hopefully we'll have a more complete feed this year. Not sure what they need to get a game on their site now that they've gone to an HD format. Just to add my two cents, Ryan told me last year that the estimate to run a wire out to the field FROM CAMPUS was $25K. I thought that was ridiculous. The coaches have internet in the clubhouse, and the hotel directly behind the field has to have a line to tap in to... I like the schedule. 57 games total in the regular season. I figure there will be a couple of cancellations, but we played a total of 60 last year and I hope we'll be a little over that this season. Personally, I have two weeks off for the Florida swing and will make all of those games in person. 8) Valposter--great to have another baseball guy here. I think you meant Miller as far as replacing the closer from last year. Wild was the Saturday starter for most of the season. Coming out of fall ball, pitching is the biggest question mark for the 2013 squad. Lots of good new guys pushing for spots in the IF/OF, and some good but so far inconsistent arms. We do have guys with some innings under their belt returning, but it remains to be seen who will step up and take the weekend/weekday starting roles. I know, not much new info there, but I'm confident we'll get things sorted out. Remember, Wild was a first year starter last year and ended up the HL Pitcher of the Year.

My bad Jetz, I meant Miller as the closer, not Wild!  That's what I get for typing too quickly!  Obviously, replacing Wild and Deetjen as weekend starters and Miller as the closer will be the biggest and most critical decisions for this season.  Can't wait to see how it shakes out.  Hopefully, we can get the same or better production than last year, and that is not going to be an easy task, but Coach Schmack has proven to be a great pitching coach and I'm sure he can mazimize the pitching staff production.   
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

Valposter

I also love the schedule.  Coach Woodson always does a great job of scheduling.  I'm hoping to get to the first weekend series down in Nashville. I will definitely be taking in at least two and maybe as many as four weekend series this year and I really want to attend the HL Tourny this year if any way possible. 

Go Crusaders!!!!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valpotx

The class was announced, and it really sounds like some solid players all-around!!  Since we didn't release stats of incoming recruits up until a few years ago, it is hard to say how it compares to previous Crusader HS accomplishments, but I would have to imagine that this will be one of our best FR classes ever give Woodson's statements about several contributing immediately.  I love the national focus of our program now, as it is helping to get more solid recruits.  Getting to the NCAA fairly consistently will keep this up!!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2012-13/12218/valpo-baseball-announces-2013-recruiting-class/
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Donn Pall's son is going to college.

I will now light what's left of my hair on fire.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valposter

Quote from: valpotx on November 30, 2012, 01:53:21 PMThe class was announced, and it really sounds like some solid players all-around!! Since we didn't release stats of incoming recruits up until a few years ago, it is hard to say how it compares to previous Crusader HS accomplishments, but I would have to imagine that this will be one of our best FR classes ever give Woodson's statements about several contributing immediately. I love the national focus of our program now, as it is helping to get more solid recruits. Getting to the NCAA fairly consistently will keep this up!! http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2012-13/12218/valpo-baseball-announces-2013-recruiting-class/

Valptx, I think this recruiting class is just another of many indicators that Valpo Baseball is positioned for continued high-level success under the leadership of Coach Woodson and his Coaching Staff!  9 recruits from 7 states including Texas and California.  Elite travel programs such as Indiana Bulls, St. Louis Pirates, Ohio Elite, Cincinnati Flames, and Action Baseball represented.  A recruit from Florida's IMG Baseball Academy.  A big lefty and righty pitcher each throwing high-80's/low-90's.  2 big corner IF with sticks.  2 OF with sticks.  A versatile IF/OF.  Lots of sticks and lots of speed.  Pretty cool that Elliot Marin's younger brother is joining the program too!  Seems like lots of talent, versatility and depth added to an already very accomplished roster.......the present and future looks bright for Valpo Baseball!     
                                                                                                                                :dance: :dance: :dance:

Enrico Palazzo

Thanks again for the welcome.  I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can.  As far as streaming games, it's still unknown, but something that has been discussed.  Yes, there is an Internet connection out at the clubhouse, but signal issues exist.  Cost would be the biggest obstacle. 

The schedule update to the site was made this past week.  It's a much tougher one than 2012's, in my opinion.  Belmont won 39 games last season, Ohio is a historically strong program, Long Beach State - while down the past couple seasons - is still one of the tougher teams on the sked, Univ of South Florida was 38-22 last year in the Big East and the Sun Devils need no boasting.  But as a program establishing itself as a mid-major power, this comes with the territory.  The Arkansas series last February was the defining weekend for the 2012 Valparaiso Crusaders.  The team went from thinking they could play with anyone in the country to knowing they could.  It gave the program significant credibility within the sport.

The Spring trip hasn't been the kindest to the Crusaders in the past, but that could change this season.  With the exception of the USF series and one game against UAB, the teams scheduled for Florida are pretty close in latitude with Valpo.  Meaning, they won't be in mid-season form like the Campbells and the SC-Upstates of last year.  It's not an excuse, but rather a reality for northern teams: by not practicing outdoors 5-6 days a week, there is an inherent disadvantage against teams that do. 

The recruiting class: any class that is headlined by a LHP that can hit 92 on the gun is a solid one.  The recruiting subject is one that takes the lede in my 2013 preview.  It won't be released until late January/early February due to the fact that a lot can change in the next two months and also so it doesn't get lost in winter sports write-ups.  But the staff has formed, and continues to manage, strong relationships with some of the programs and organizations listed in this thread.  The recruiting roads from Texas and California have made their way into Valpo - and will continue to do so - while not ignoring the Midwest.

bbtds

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on November 30, 2012, 08:50:10 PMThe Spring trip hasn't been the kindest to the Crusaders in the past, but that could change this season.  With the exception of the USF series and one game against UAB, the teams scheduled for Florida are pretty close in latitude with Valpo.  Meaning, they won't be in mid-season form like the Campbells and the SC-Upstates of last year.  It's not an excuse, but rather a reality for northern teams: by not practicing outdoors 5-6 days a week, there is an inherent disadvantage against teams that do. 

So, if I have it right, 2 cold weather teams travel to play each other in the spring in Florida, Arizona etc. which is a lot like what MLB does in the spring.

Enrico Palazzo

Yeah, basically.  Almost every northern team takes their Spring break trips to a warm-weather climate (Florida, Texas, Arizona) to either play a southern team - like USF - or participate in a "tournament."  I throw quotes around tournament because there are no formal brackets, no champion, etc.  For instance, the first five games of the spring trip for Valpo are part of the Russ Matt Invitational.  They'll play those five, bus up to Tampa to play USF for three, then off to Winter Haven for another "tournament" with five more random schools whose Spring break happens to fall on the same weeks as Valpo's.

valpotx

The annual spring trip was always the most fun, but it definitely put us at a disadvantage record-wise due to so many road games.  Players used to cut the newbies hair into different shapes and words before the trip, which added to team bonding. They probably don't do stuff like that anymore now that schools have cracked down on 'initiations,' even though ours was harmless.  If you got a certain haircut as a newbie, you were the one given first permission to give that same haircut to a newbie the next year.  The favorite was the "Deac," or making their hair into Coach Twenge's style, no hair on top, but hair in back and on the sides  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on November 30, 2012, 08:50:10 PM
Thanks again for the welcome.  I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can.  As far as streaming games, it's still unknown, but something that has been discussed.  Yes, there is an Internet connection out at the clubhouse, but signal issues exist.  Cost would be the biggest obstacle. 

The schedule update to the site was made this past week.  It's a much tougher one than 2012's, in my opinion.  Belmont won 39 games last season, Ohio is a historically strong program, Long Beach State - while down the past couple seasons - is still one of the tougher teams on the sked, Univ of South Florida was 38-22 last year in the Big East and the Sun Devils need no boasting.  But as a program establishing itself as a mid-major power, this comes with the territory.  The Arkansas series last February was the defining weekend for the 2012 Valparaiso Crusaders.  The team went from thinking they could play with anyone in the country to knowing they could.  It gave the program significant credibility within the sport.

The Spring trip hasn't been the kindest to the Crusaders in the past, but that could change this season.  With the exception of the USF series and one game against UAB, the teams scheduled for Florida are pretty close in latitude with Valpo.  Meaning, they won't be in mid-season form like the Campbells and the SC-Upstates of last year.  It's not an excuse, but rather a reality for northern teams: by not practicing outdoors 5-6 days a week, there is an inherent disadvantage against teams that do. 

The recruiting class: any class that is headlined by a LHP that can hit 92 on the gun is a solid one.  The recruiting subject is one that takes the lede in my 2013 preview.  It won't be released until late January/early February due to the fact that a lot can change in the next two months and also so it doesn't get lost in winter sports write-ups.  But the staff has formed, and continues to manage, strong relationships with some of the programs and organizations listed in this thread.  The recruiting roads from Texas and California have made their way into Valpo - and will continue to do so - while not ignoring the Midwest.
::

Brad, thanks for the updates!  I'm hopeful about the webcasts; please pass on any information as you get it.  Also, I'm looking forward to your Baseball Season Preview early in 2013. 

I agree that Arkansas was a program "defining moment".  Stoney Brook and Kent State proved last year that quality northern Mid-Major baseball programs can be successful in the post-season with the big boys I.e. College World Series. Valpo Baseball has the leadership and foundation to be that kind of program with continued growth and support.  We are seeing growth each year and in a couple of years, who knows, we may be the next Stoney Brook.  It can happen.  I've followed the development of the Kent State program and the keys to their success have been great recruiting, high-level development of players, strong leadership of head coach, with a very successful pitching coach to provide a consistently-strong  base of pitching.  Sound familiar?  It will take some time, but Valpo is headed in that direction if we can stay the course.  The more we win, the better we can recruit.  The better we recruit, the more we can win.  Success begets success.