• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball Recruiting Class

Started by vubballfan, November 15, 2012, 08:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vubballfan

Article up on Prep Baseball Report about baseball recruiting classes at Indiana's Div. I schools:

http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/IN/A-Breakdown-of-Indianas-Division-One-Schools-Recruiting-Classes-7095342186

"...Valparaiso:  The Crusaders currently have one of the most talented players in the state committed to their program, Matthew Gatewood (South Decatur).  Gatewood is the No. 26 ranked player in the 2013 class.  He is one of the most athletic player in his class, running a 6.65 sixty, and has been up to 91 on the mound from the left side. If Coach Woodson can harness that velocity in the strike zone, he could have a high draft pick in Gatewood."

Looks like a great pickup for the baseball program!!!

jetz

This kid lives near us here in southern Indiana.  It's amazing that he just kind of appeared out of nowhere--even for us locals.  I think he comes from a small town (Westport) that has a field that my son used to call their home for summer travel ball in the 12-13 age group.  The high school he attends has never been known for their sports, so this kid should become a local phenom this spring.  Great find for Coach Woodson and the Valpo staff...
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

Hopefully everyone signs their NLI!  I will again commend Woodson on his recruiting, but it seems like he is able to develop the players really well too.  I hope he stays for a long time, but imagine it is only so long before a big player comes along to convince him/his wife to finally leave.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jetz

Quote from: valpotx on November 15, 2012, 11:40:43 AM
Hopefully everyone signs their NLI!  I will again commend Woodson on his recruiting, but it seems like he is able to develop the players really well too.  I hope he stays for a long time, but imagine it is only so long before a big player comes along to convince him/his wife to finally leave.

Agree on the bigger schools coming after Woodson/Schmack.  I just hope they hold off for another few years to get my son through there... :cheers:  On another subject, I think signing day for baseball and a few other sports was yesterday (Nov.14).  Can anyone confirm?
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

vu72

Quote from: jetz on November 15, 2012, 12:42:45 PM

Agree on the bigger schools coming after Woodson/Schmack.  I just hope they hold off for another few years to get my son through there... :cheers:  On another subject, I think signing day for baseball and a few other sports was yesterday (Nov.14).  Can anyone confirm?
[/b]

Not sure, but the Valpo website has announced the signing of a women golfer, so I think yesterday was the day for all sports.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Yes, I believe the early signing period for all NCAA sports is 11/14-11/21
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Quote from: valpotx on November 15, 2012, 01:36:24 PMYes, I believe the early signing period for all NCAA sports is 11/14-11/21

Yes, the NLI early signing day was November 14th. 

I'm a new poster........how do I post a link?

Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

FWalum

Quote from: Valposter on November 20, 2012, 08:19:49 AM
Quote from: valpotx on November 15, 2012, 01:36:24 PMYes, I believe the early signing period for all NCAA sports is 11/14-11/21

Yes, the NLI early signing day was November 14th. 

I'm a new poster........how do I post a link?

As a spammer security measure, the forum requires new members to post a minimum number of posts before they can add links to a post. I believe it to be 3 posts.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valposter

Quote from: FWalum on November 20, 2012, 08:51:22 AM
Quote from: Valposter on November 20, 2012, 08:19:49 AM
Yes, the NLI early signing day was November 14th. I'm a new poster........how do I post a link?
As a spammer security measure, the forum requires new members to post a minimum number of posts before they can add links to a post. I believe it to be 3 posts.

Thanks FWalum! 
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valporun

Valposter, the minimum is 5 posts before links are allowed.

Valposter

Quote from: valporun on November 20, 2012, 10:18:51 AMValposter, the minimum is 5 posts before links are allowed.

thanks Valporun!!!

Valposter

Listed below is a link to a well-respected baseball website, Perfect Game USA, that lists the 2013 college baseball commitments for each D1 college baseball program.  Just click "Valparaiso" in the drop down box to see Valpo's baseball commits for the 2013 recruiting class.  Coach Woodson and staff have six commits from six different states so far:  Texas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Michigan with most coming from high-profile travel programs.  Click on the individual plalyer for baseball background info.  Looks like a good recruiting class based on rankings, etc.  This list is not all-inlcusive, but is pretty close and gives a good benchmark as to who will be joining Valpo Baseball next year.  Website announcement should be coming soon.

http://www.perfectgame.org/College/CollegeCommitments.aspx   

valpotx

I haven't checked that site in awhile, thanks for posting.  Did you notice that we now have someone from Venezuela??  I will say again that Coach Woodson and his coaches are excellent recruiters
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Quote from: valpotx on November 20, 2012, 12:41:27 PMI haven't checked that site in awhile, thanks for posting. Did you notice that we now have someone from Venezuela?? I will say again that Coach Woodson and his coaches are excellent recruiters

Actually, the Venezuela commit is a reporting error......lol!!!  Valpo will still only have a domestic flavor on the roster!  But Coach Woodson and staff are excellent recruiters with both traditional and juco recruits, and by all accounts player development is excellent as well.  Can't wait for baseball season and the opportunity to defend the HL regular season and tourny championships! 

StlVUFan

Quote from: Valposter on November 20, 2012, 11:00:26 AM
Listed below is a link to a well-respected baseball website, Perfect Game USA, that lists the 2013 college baseball commitments for each D1 college baseball program.  Just click "Valparaiso" in the drop down box to see Valpo's baseball commits for the 2013 recruiting class.  Coach Woodson and staff have six commits from six different states so far:  Texas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Michigan with most coming from high-profile travel programs.  Click on the individual plalyer for baseball background info.  Looks like a good recruiting class based on rankings, etc.  This list is not all-inlcusive, but is pretty close and gives a good benchmark as to who will be joining Valpo Baseball next year.  Website announcement should be coming soon.

http://www.perfectgame.org/College/CollegeCommitments.aspx   
Well played, Valposter  :clap:

Valposter

Quote from: jetz on November 15, 2012, 12:42:45 PM

Agree on the bigger schools coming after Woodson/Schmack.  I just hope they hold off for another few years to get my son through there... :cheers:;  On another subject, I think signing day for baseball and a few other sports was yesterday (Nov.14).  Can anyone confirm?

Coach Woodson signed a contract extension a few months a ago.  Anyone know what year the extension runs through?  I think the previous contact ran through 2014.  I too hope we can keep Coach Woodson as long as possible.....the baseball program is headed for VERY good things IMO.

valpotx

I thought it was for 3 additional years, but not 100% sure
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

I know it's early, but I wanted to talk a little Valpo baseball Hot Stove if anyone is interested.  Does anybody close to the program (or not) have any thoughts or  insights on how the roles are developing for next year, especially pitching?  I know Worm will be one weekend starting pitcher, but who does it look like has the inside track for the other two weekend starting spots?  Lots of new arms and young arms in the program to chose from.  Bullpen closer to replace Wild?  Any insights on starting line-up?  Manning returns for one OF position.  Who replaces Scoby and Hagel in the OF?  Looks like a competition between Hara, Mark Johnson and Michael Morman (coming back from injury) for the other two spots?  Infield has everyone back with Martin at 3rd, Mahoney at SS, Vavra at 2nd, and Loeffler at 1st with Cribbs catching and Bain at DH.  Anybody coming hard to get into the mix in the infield as a position player?  Burns (coming back from injury)?  Yoder, who showed some nice pop off the bench as a freshman?  Any new position players making a play for significant time like Mahoney did last year?  Anybody have any early thoughts or insights?

valporun

I believe Morman was playing 2nd in 2011? If he's changing positions, that would be interesting. Even in high school, he was mostly playing 2nd.

Valposter

Quote from: valporun on November 26, 2012, 03:04:57 PMI believe Morman was playing 2nd in 2011? If he's changing positions, that would be interesting. Even in high school, he was mostly playing 2nd.

Valporun, that's just guesswork on my part.  Morman is listed on the roster as an IF/OF and I know he has a good stick.  With the infield solidified with returning starters, I was thinking he may get a look in the OF to get his stick in the lineup.  No inside information here, just me trying to have some fun putting the puzzle pieces together.   :)

Enrico Palazzo

Glad to see the interest in VU baseball this time of year.  I'll be one of the interns in the Sports Information Department effective next week.  In addition to baseball, I'll also be covering men's/women's tennis as well as men's/women's swimming this spring. I've got some ideas as to how to keep our growing fan base even more informed and connected than ever before.  Once Aaron Leavitt and I can sit down and discuss logistics, I'll pass it along.  You'll be happy to hear I'm a big baseball guy.

Valposter - I'm putting the finishing touches on a preview that addresses all of your questions and more.  The preview typically isn't released until just before the season, so I hope you understand that I'm going to hold off for right now.  However, depending on demand, a weekly/biweekly/monthly online chat is one idea I'd like to see come to fruition - soon.  As to where that would take place, that's one of the things we'll have to iron out.  Hope to have some information for you in the next week or so.   

Thanks,
Brad

Valposter

Brad-

Welcome aboard!!!!  Glad to hear about some of the new ideas you are working on to help promote Valpo baseball!  It's awesome to have a fellow baseball guy helping cover the program.  I will be participating in all of the interactive opportunities as I am a life-long baseball fan and a big Valpo baseball fan!  Hopefully you can put together interviews, chats, media guides, lots of web articles, etc. 

A quick question.  Do you know how many baseball games will be video web-casted this season with the new, smaller, portable HD video equipment to support the HL Network?   I am not local and I have to follow the program via internet and the website.

Thanks!

Enrico Palazzo

Thanks.

Good question about the webcast.  With the roster beginning to represent states from all over the country, I imagine this will be of growing interest.  I'll look into it.  It's certainly an exciting time to be a Crusader fan.  The talent coming in continues to get better year after year. 

The full sked was just released this afternoon.  Hope we'll be coming to your neck of the woods.

vu72

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on November 26, 2012, 08:15:50 PM
Thanks.

Good question about the webcast.  With the roster beginning to represent states from all over the country, I imagine this will be of growing interest.  I'll look into it.  It's certainly an exciting time to be a Crusader fan.  The talent coming in continues to get better year after year. 

The full sked was just released this afternoon.  Hope we'll be coming to your neck of the woods.

Enrico,

Are you a new hire to the AD?  If so, welcome aboard, it should be an exciting place to work!