• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football Spring Game - April 16th

Started by valpo04, March 12, 2011, 03:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

From Coach Carlson's football blog:

QuoteSpring practice begins on Friday March 18th with our Spring Game scheduled for Saturday, April 16th at 11 AM.  Our practices are open so I encourage our alumni and supporters to stop by.  We practice Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

Players and coaches are looking forward to our second spring practice together.  The first two days will be in helmets.  The first two Saturdays in April will be scrimmage dates with the final scrimmage as the Spring Game on April 16th.  I really like spring practice as we can spend the time teaching individual technique as well as our offense, defense, and kicking game.  Our team period each day will focus on certain key game day situations. This gives our players a feeling of "being there" when they confront them in a game.  Practice simulations are never exactly like a true game. However, having practiced the last four minutes of the game with a six point lead or the last four plays of the game when down by 6 points is beneficial.  The players can develop the confidence that I have practiced this situation and I am ready to execute and be successful.

Remember, IT'S A NEW ERA FOR CRUSADER FOOTBALL!

IndyValpo

Has anyone seen a spring roster?  The announcement said something like 56 players.  Theoretically if everyone came back we would have had around 80 players.  I am curious who is still with us.

vuweathernerd

hopefully only the players that have a can-do attitude and a winner's mentality. all the cry-babies and slackers hopefully have been shown the door, so that the underclassmen can start turning this team around.

a3uge

Quote from: valpo04 on March 12, 2011, 03:11:52 PM

Our team period each day will focus on certain key game day situations. This gives our players a feeling of "being there" when they confront them in a game. Practice simulations are never exactly like a true game. However, having practiced the last four minutes of the game with a six point lead or the last four plays of the game when down by 6 points is beneficial.  The players can develop the confidence that I have practiced this situation and I am ready to execute and be successful.

I really think they should worry about not getting blown out first. They lost all but one game substantially, so they are rarely in a situation that they blow a lead or can't come from behind. Practicing close game situations are pointless when you can't get the basics down to make a non-d1 game close.

milanmiracle

Quote from: a3uge on March 14, 2011, 10:25:25 PM
Quote from: valpo04 on March 12, 2011, 03:11:52 PM

Our team period each day will focus on certain key game day situations. This gives our players a feeling of "being there" when they confront them in a game. Practice simulations are never exactly like a true game. However, having practiced the last four minutes of the game with a six point lead or the last four plays of the game when down by 6 points is beneficial.  The players can develop the confidence that I have practiced this situation and I am ready to execute and be successful.

I really think they should worry about not getting blown out first. They lost all but one game substantially, so they are rarely in a situation that they blow a lead or can't come from behind. Practicing close game situations are pointless when you can't get the basics down to make a non-d1 game close.

I love Coach Carlson's enthusiasm, and his can-do attitude, but comments like this scare me. I can't think of a situation that they would have needed this "last four minutes of the game" unless you're practicing on how to watch the other team down the ball. Do the coaches really expect to go from losing by an average of 6 touchdowns to managing the game in the last 4 minutes? Isn't that the equivalent of learing how to dance in the endzone when you're an offensive lineman?

Look, I hope things get better, but you just can't make comments like that, it makes the coach seem delusional about where his team really is and how to evaluate the situation.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vuweathernerd

baby steps. as somebody said before, let's worry about not getting destroyed before clock management drills.

drewsaders11

"Remember, IT'S A NEW ERA FOR CRUSADER FOOTBALL!"

I'll say.

vu72

I was surprised, to say the least, when I read today's Times article which said Erik Lemon and Becker (the tight end) have both left the team.  Lemon was the starter before injury and Becker, also a freshman seemed highly regarded as a reciever, at least with potential.

So what happened?  Either they just didn't want to work as hard as the coach wants, they couldn't cut it academically or...the handwriting was on the wall...they were moving down the depth chart and saw playing time reduced or eliminated.  Let's hope it was the latter.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Pgmado

Eric "Always Strapped" Lemon
Update: I am no longer enrolled at Valparaiso University. It was a great school but it just wasn't for me. I am now at Ferris State. I love you all. -#1 on the field, #1 in your hearts

valporun

Quote from: Pgmado on March 16, 2011, 02:22:47 PM
Eric "Always Strapped" Lemon
Update: I am no longer enrolled at Valparaiso University. It was a great school but it just wasn't for me. I am now at Ferris State. I love you all. -#1 on the field, #1 in your hearts

It kinda makes you wonder what Eric means by "It was a great school but it just wasn't for me"? Was he there more for the excitement of playing football for a new coach, or was there something else involved with all the losing?

milanmiracle

I think losing wears on people differently. That's why it's going to take a special group of young men, a determined coach and a whole lot of luck to get this thing turned around.

Given what we've seen so far, there's a likely and reasonable chance they don't win a game in two years. Half your time playing football in college is losing. It doesn't help turn things around, but I get it.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

theladybook

Perhaps his leaving was not really related to football. For some students, VU is too small, or too far from the bright lights, or too far from a special someone, or too whatever. So an athlete in a one-semester sport might feel miserable the rest of the year and decide it just isn't worth it.

milanmiracle

Quote from: theladybook on March 17, 2011, 12:02:41 AM
Perhaps his leaving was not really related to football. For some students, VU is too small, or too far from the bright lights, or too far from a special someone, or too whatever. So an athlete in a one-semester sport might feel miserable the rest of the year and decide it just isn't worth it.

Especially when you're getting killed every week during season. Not saying that's the reason, or the only reason, but it sure makes the decision easier.

vu72

Let's remember one other thing:  Football is a non-scholarship sport.  Given any number of possibilities, Valpo just may have been too expensive.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

milanmiracle

Quote from: vu72 on March 18, 2011, 08:27:58 AM
Let's remember one other thing:  Football is a non-scholarship sport.  Given any number of possibilities, Valpo just may have been too expensive.

While that's entirely possible, it's also unlikely. It's not like they enrolled in school and then the cost of tuition was revealed after the fact. I figure they already knew the cost to attend Valpo before they ever arrived on campus. Call it a hunch. Now, financial situations do change, expecially in this economy, but that would be near the bottom of my list as to why people actually left.

My guess is they didn't anticipate the ineptitude of the team and didn't see it getting any better anytime soon. Why shell out that kind of cash to be non competetive? If you want to spin it and say it's was too expensive, okay you can say that and I'll agree. I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money for that experience either.

blackpantheruwm

Be happy that you have football.

I would kill to have a team that loses by 60 points every week.

vuweathernerd

but that's not football. that's pure embarrassment.

78crusader

Guys, could we give this year's edition of Crusader football a chance before we begin the non-stop criticism?  Coach Carlson has turned other programs around...he will do the same here.  It's just going to take some time.  Paul

rlh

As I've said before I'm not embarassed, not sure why others are....and I believe Coach Carlson is on the right track.  Why so many left the team, including two of our "skill" people starters I don't know...but if they don't want to be here, it's probably for the best.

milanmiracle

rlh - You're not sure why others are embarrassed? Really? You're smarter than that, I know you are. I'll buy you don't think they should be embarrassed, but having your alma mater look like you dressed the first 11 guys who were in the parking lot before the game doesn't exactly make someone beam with pride. They were a very bad team last year, and just as the fans were estatic and proud when Bryce and co. went to the Sweet 16 in basketball, they have every right to be embarrassed when scores like 198-2 come across the ticker on ESPN. Like it or not the most visable part of a university is the mens basketball and football team.

Let's hope the team shows improvement this year, and this discussion will be null and void.

vu72

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 21, 2011, 06:11:19 PM
rlh - You're not sure why others are embarrassed? Really? You're smarter than that, I know you are. I'll buy you don't think they should be embarrassed, but having your alma mater look like you dressed the first 11 guys who were in the parking lot before the game doesn't exactly make someone beam with pride. They were a very bad team last year, and just as the fans were estatic and proud when Bryce and co. went to the Sweet 16 in basketball, they have every right to be embarrassed when scores like 198-2 come across the ticker on ESPN. Like it or not the most visable part of a university is the mens basketball and football team.

Let's hope the team shows improvement this year, and this discussion will be null and void.

A fair analysis of the situation.  Let's hope for improvement even if it is in small doses.

rlh

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 21, 2011, 06:11:19 PM

Concerned...disappointed ....certainly...embarassed certainly not....sorry if you are, but I am not.  The kids that were there were giving it all that they have and to me that speaks volumes....

Football Fan

I am excited to see a new era in Valpo football.  Look, becker and Lemon were good kids, but we had a LOT of injuries last year.  It's hard to watch them get beat so badly, but, can you imagine how hard it is on the guys out there????????   I'd like to see some of you bashing the program try it.  Admittedly, my son is on the team.  He has been playing hurt and this will be his first season at 100 percent in probably three years.  He is not alone.  There are a lot of kids who were outstanding high school athletes and had opportunities to go elsewhere; they chose Valpo.  They are giving Coach C their all their year, why can't you naysayers show some support to these kids?

I am really sick of you people bashing the team and the coach.  Grow up...heck...go elsewhere because we do not need you here to tear us down. 

I think the returning athletes, many of them, are excellent players, and you might be in for some surprises.  Come out to the scrimmages.  Be a true "fan." 

78crusader

I like your attitude, footballfan.  Please know that not all of us on this board are bashers of the football program.  I have maintained from the start that Coach C has this program on the right track and that he is the right person for this job.  He has turned other programs around and he will do the same with this program.  Tell your son to keep working hard and it will pay off.  Thanks for your post.  Paul

milanmiracle

As one of the naysayers, I can safely say I want the football team to improve. I don't like seeing the scores going across the screen that are 86-7. Who exactly enjoys that? I think sometimes people confuse unhappiness with how things are going with "bashing" the football team. There is a difference.

Let's be real though, they sucked last year. These "excellent" players lost every game by an average of 6 touchdowns. Every team has injuries, and that still doesn't explain getting beat like that. There also wasn't exactly an area on the team where a fan could look to and see improvement for next year. They finished last in defense and offense. It's tough to be that bad.

As for the kids, I really do feel bad for them. Nobody wants to work that hard for those results. That being said, just because they're nice good kids doesn't mean they're good D1 football players.

Win some games, be competitive, and I'll bet all the so called "bashers" shut up.