• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #1 vs Toledo Tuesday 11/05 7:00 PM ESPN3

Started by VUBBFan, October 30, 2019, 04:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VALPO LI

Not to harp on this topic but I have to agree with my Native Cheese Head.  The game day experience is something that can not be replaced for fans in the stands or watching on TV.  The beating of the drums, the swaying of students playing their trombones and trumpets, the crashing of hands and stomping of feet are all part of that experience.  The band, even as small as ours is, is part of that game day experience that brings great enthusiasm to all.  Last year the University made a great effort to bring in bands and cheer/dance squads from regional High Schools to fill in the gap over the breaks while students where away from campus.  Perhaps last night would have been another opportunity to do the same since our band was not available.  It was noticed the arena was half full (2,412).  Bring in regional kids to play at a college level and their parents can help fill the stands. Win/Win.
Shine on Vu

VULB#62

Quote from: VALPO LI on November 06, 2019, 01:47:09 PM
Not to harp on this topic but I have to agree with my Native Cheese Head.  The game day experience is something that can not be replaced for fans in the stands or watching on TV.  The beating of the drums, the swaying of students playing their trombones and trumpets, the crashing of hands and stomping of feet are all part of that experience.  The band, even as small as ours is, is part of that game day experience that brings great enthusiasm to all.  Last year the University made a great effort to bring in bands and cheer/dance squads from regional High Schools to fill in the gap over the breaks while students where away from campus.  Perhaps last night would have been another opportunity to do the same since our band was not available.  It was noticed the arena was half full (2,412).  Bring in regional kids to play at a college level and their parents can help fill the stands. Win/Win.

I'd say "win/ win/ win" because that added win is for the Valpo admissions department in terms of recruiting potential enrollees. LI that is a great idea. I believe that happened at least once last season. The athletic department just needs to nail down the schedule when students can't fulfill the band presence then solicit high school pep bands to fill in the gaps.

But here's the main thing (I think, because I am making an assumption here).  Make the pep band compelling to our musical students by (perish this thought) demanding a commitment and then.......   :o  paying them to practice and play. Paying a pep band director might help too.

Boys and girls, back in my day Valpo had a 125 piece marching band at football games that performed all the traditional stuff those bands (and today's HS bands) do. We have a student body that is bigger than most Indiana HSs and we can't put together a kick butt 25 piece pep band. C'mon man.

vufan75

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 06, 2019, 05:50:38 PM
Quote from: VALPO LI on November 06, 2019, 01:47:09 PM

I'd say "win/ win/ win" because that added win is for the Valpo admissions department in terms of recruiting potential enrollees. LI that is a great idea. I believe that happened at least once last season. The athletic department just needs to nail down the schedule when students can't fulfill the band presence then solicit high school pep bands to fill in the gaps.

But here's the main thing (I think, because I am making an assumption here).  Make the pep band compelling to our musical students by (perish this thought) demanding a commitment and then.......   :o  paying them to practice and play. Paying a pep band director might help too.

Boys and girls, back in my day Valpo had a 125 piece marching band at football games that performed all the traditional stuff those bands (and today's HS bands) do. We have a student body that is bigger than most Indiana HSs and we can't put together a kick butt 25 piece pep band. C'mon man.
About 2-3 years ago I attended a Loyola game courtesy of a daughter of mine who worked at Loyola. We were happy to sit in the upper area (then unfinished) at Gentile with donors and others vested in Loyola MBB. I would liken it to Valpo's ARC Suite today except more of an open area in the arena. Sandwiches, salads, etc were served along with beer, wine, and soft drinks. I chatted with a nice man who I gathered had a job at Loyola similar to John Kuka's job at that time at Valpo. I specifically asked him about the Loyola pep band. He said he thought that Loyola had made changes and offered I think it was a 1/2 credit hour for pep band members and he thought they also were paid a small amount per game. They also appeared to have a director of the pep band who I'll assume was being paid as well. If Loyola can do something like that why not Valpo? It would be one way to offer something to the pep band members for their effort, time, and hard work.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

justducky

A total of only 18 minutes and 4 points were contributed by players who were not enrolled or committed at the end of the 18-19 season. What might that suggest about our 5 grad transfer bail outs? Did any or all of them sense a changing of the guard with reductions in playing time?

EddieCabot

Was really impressed by the toughness Valpo displayed.  I think adding more Chicago guys like Nick and Zion helped with the attitude of the team.  Mileek facing off after blocking a shot and JFL getting in that guy's face after a dunk ... little things, but really showed how competitive this squad can be.  Great teams like Georgetown, UNLV and Arkansas were all a little edgy, but they worked that to their advantage.  I see the same thing in this Valpo team.

VULB#62

Agreed. Edgey is good. But direct in your face edginess gets Ts.  That can kill an advantage and can reverse momentum. It can lose games. Just do it without directly disrespecting your opponent. Celebrate among your team, not in the face of your opponent.

ValpoDad89

I know many here follow or utilize kenpom.com rankings but we beat the #85 team in Toledo Tuesday and play the 130th team in St. Louis this weekend. Given it's a road game another win and there's a good start to your resume. Currently, even with the big win, Valpo airs at 205. Just on talent alone this team will be at least 100 spots better by the end of the season. By some miracle they get some lucky bounces too...they will be making noise in March.

vu72

Toledo just beat Marshall by 26, shot over 50% from the 3.  This will end up being a very good win for us.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUfan

Saw the game, this team seems to enjoy playing together that's worth a lot. Last year's team played with each other because they had no choice, big difference.