• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #1 vs Toledo Tuesday 11/05 7:00 PM ESPN3

Started by VUBBFan, October 30, 2019, 04:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUBBFan

Trying my first game thread.
Finally the season begins with Valpo hosting MAC team Toledo. This should be a good indicator of what to expect from our team this year. According to KenPom preseason rankings, Toledo will be the second highest ranked team (82) we play after Arkansas (44) unless we face Sorrolla's Cincinnati Bearcats (27) in the Paradise Jam ( fingers crossed ). The Rockets may be down to only 10 scholarship players as they lost big man Edu Aj 6'10" for the year and are waiting on medical clearance on highly regarded Freshman guard Acunzo Mattia 6'7". Who has yet to practice with the team. According to their coach if he gets clearance this Thursday he will play against Valpo.

Toledo has played two exhibition games and won both, Hillsdale 79-63 and nationally ranked D2 Finley 75-68.They are also picked to finish near the top in the MAC according to the conference's preseason poll.

Hopefully we have a good turnout, to support and get behind the team and start out the season on a positive note. Should be a really good game. Go Valpo

VULB#62

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 31, 2019, 08:48:06 AM
Any info on the "secret scrimmage"?

Here was a post on Union Street Hoops thread the other day . . .

My post
I was under the impression the closed door scrimmage/game against UIC was to take place yesterday (10/29).  Any word on how the team faired?  I know that PO mentioned on USH that one of the players tweaked an ankle in practice but played in the scrimmage (therefore likely not a bad sprain).  Thought that was a little confusing because PO said he recorded the podcast on Monday (10/28) so the scrimmage obviously was on Monday???

Just trying to fill time before the game . . .

Paul's Reply
The scrimmage was on Sunday. Siggy didn't play because of an ankle. Sounds like he's good to go now. I don't know many details about Sunday and those that I do know were embargoed.

VALPO LI

Great start VUBBFAN!
I have been waiting 237 days for this season to start....5 more days to go!!!!  Excited for the Toledo game, good mid major program coming into the ARC.  Last season they were the top dog #1 out of the 3 we play this season from the MAC West.
My  :twocents:
I believe the 6 exhibition games we played (4 Canada and 2 this month in the States) will give us a slight edge in regards to playing together.  I believe we will pull out a win 79-72 in front of a home crowd of 3,850. Hopefully our fans will have a great game experience at the ARC where all the kinks are ironed out from last season.  Excited to start the season as a fan with all of you again.
Shine on Vu

VUBBFan

Can't wait to light the fuse on this season and begin with a big bang. Time to GO! #GoValpo.

https://twitter.com/UTSteveEaston/status/1189911803955859456

bbtds

The big question for this game is whether the Rockets will participate in the after-game prayer in the center of the court.

I mean Holy Toledo!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUBBFan on November 04, 2019, 11:51:47 AM
Toledo Basketball info for 2019-2020.

https://utrockets.com/news/2019/11/3/mens-basketball-rockets-open-2019-20-season-on-tuesday-evening-at-valparaiso.aspx

Thanks for posting.  We will find out quickly whether our bigs will be able to tussle in the paint.  It appears that Toledo has 100% of its starters minutes from a season prior that are returning and they are going to be a handful for us if my guess is accurate.  I say let's take a 4-4 record in November and battle test/develop our bigs with solid competition.  Glad we aren't playing a cupcake.  We are going to have to bring our A-game to stay in this one.

VUBBFan

vu84v2

Wow! I knew that Toledo was a good opponent, but did not know that they are forecasted to be this strong. Good, tough opening home game.

While I would certainly like to see Valpo win, I predict a 74-66 defeat. Attendance: 3350 (weeknight, but good opponent at home with some positive energy about the program)

VUSWIM08-12

Line opens with Toledo at -3.5, interested to see how it moves today .Lot of experience on the court for Toledo , could end up being a long game for us but I was wrong about a couple summer games so maybe we'll stay in it !

VU 65
Toledo 72

vu72

It should be interesting to see how we handle (or not) their 6'11" 245# dude.  They will start 6'0", 6'4", 6'5"., 6'6" and 6'11".  We counter with 5'9", 6'3",6'5", 6'8", and 6'8" If we go "big" bring in Krikke at 6'9" and Donovan at 6'8", there should be some match-up issues for them. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

Line down to Toledo -3 with an o/u of 135....I might play the o/u knowing Valpo is probably going to push the pace.

covufan

I think we win a close one, hitting some crucial free throws down the stretch.

Valpo   75
Toledo  72

Attendance: 2900

may know

Compared to past openers, this board is eerily quiet. Hopefully the play on the court improves this season and livens up the board again.

crusader05

I'm feeling extremely gun shy and superstitious this time around. Don't want to predict, don't want to get too hype. Just want to wait and see.

I've been burned before, ya know.

elephtheria47

Been thinking about it most of the morning. I dont think we will have the forwards to match up with Knapke and W. Jackson. We have too many unknowns and too many players who were injured last year or had to sit out, to pick us over Toledo who is expected to win their third straight division title.

Toledo:70
Valpo: 64

Attendance: 2500. Doesnt feel like basketball season yet, Tuesday night and coming off a bad season, and maybe the nicest day outside for the remainder of the month/year??.

I'm curious to see how Gordon is utilized and how effective he is, if/how JF matches up against M. Jackson, and how our bigs perform. If he can hold his own, JF will be in for a great year.

justducky

I have no solid expectations so I will make no game prediction. What I am shown tonight will be my base for the rest of November.

I will take a stab at attendance and say 2903. Any less than that would really disappoint me.

SanityLost17

Quote from: justducky on November 05, 2019, 01:54:26 PM
I have no solid expectations so I will make no game prediction. What I am shown tonight will be my base for the rest of November.

I will take a stab at attendance and say 2903. Any less than that would really disappoint me.

Agreed.  How we play tonight....W or L....Will dictate how I predict future games for the foreseeable future.   

vu72

Quote from: elephtheria47 on November 05, 2019, 01:27:24 PMI dont think we will have the forwards to match up with Knapke and W. Jackson

As i posted earlier, other than the big guy, their starters are pretty small (no one over 6'6"). As a result, I would expect a fairly high paced game which might neutralize their giant.  We, on the other hand will present matchup problems for them.  Will a 6'4" guy be guarding Ryan?  Who do they bring in to match up with Ben or Donavon? 

The have a LOT of size--four guys 6'10 or bigger but only one guy 6'8", then a lot of guards. Have never seen them play so don't know what to expect.  If they try to play like we did last year, trying to take advantage of their size, expect us to pressure all over the floor and RUN!!  Should be fun (I hope! )
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015