• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Opponents' Schedule & Results 2013-14

Started by bbtds, October 28, 2013, 07:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on December 08, 2013, 08:18:42 PMAnd How Could I Forget one!   Thanks Dick Briars for finding the highest scoring game... Houston 158 - Valpo 81. Feb 24, 1968... 239 points... skipped right over it
One thing that should be mentioned is that UH team in '68 was coached by Guy Lewis, had Elgin Baylor at center, and made it to the university division final 4. They weren't quite like the 80's Houston teams of the Phi, Slama Jama (do I have that correct?) but they were an offensive juggernaut. With VU having Bruce Lindner putting up awesome offensive numbers if figured to some to be an even match. It obviously wasn't.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

humbleopinion

Quote from: historyman on December 08, 2013, 09:04:36 PM
Quote from: talksalot on December 08, 2013, 08:18:42 PMAnd How Could I Forget one!   Thanks Dick Briars for finding the highest scoring game... Houston 158 - Valpo 81. Feb 24, 1968... 239 points... skipped right over it
One thing that should be mentioned is that UH team in '68 was coached by Guy Lewis, had Elgin Baylor at center, and made it to the university division final 4. They weren't quite like the 80's Houston teams of the Phi, Slama Jama (do I have that correct?) but they were an offensive juggernaut. With VU having Bruce Lindner putting up awesome offensive numbers if figured to some to be an even match. It obviously wasn't.

An even match?  I remember hoping that the plane to Houston would be hijacked to Cuba to save us the inevitable embarrassment.  BTW, I believe that as the team was preparing for the game, Dick played the role of Elgin Baylor.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

vu72

You are off on a couple of fronts.  First for background, our coach, Gene Bartow, was an asst for Guy Lewis and that was the reason the game was scheduled.  The second thing is that these type games are scheduled a couple of years before and when that happened Valpo had one of its best teams ever (66-67--where we won 2 games in the college divsion NCAAs) So the game is scheduled when Houston wasn't all that great and Valpo was.

The year of the game (the next year) we went 11-15 and Houston, who had beaten UCLA earlier in the year, lost to them in the final.

The other fact where you were slightly off was with Elgin Baylor, who graduated ten years earlier and not from Houston.  The guy in question was Elvin Hayes.  Thier team may not have been as good as the Phi Slama Jamma team but was close.  That team also has Don Chaney on it.  Gene was not pleased that his former coach would run up the score on the clearly out maned Valpo team.

Finally, I don't think Bruce Lindner played in that game.  As I recall Bruce would have been a freshman that year and freshman couldn't play with the varsity.  The key player on that team was Dick Jones who was the only remaining starter from the great team that scored over 100 seven times, before the 3 point rule was in effect.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on December 08, 2013, 10:01:30 PM
You are off on a couple of fronts.  First for background, our coach, Gene Bartow, was an asst for Guy Lewis and that was the reason the game was scheduled.  The second thing is that these type games are scheduled a couple of years before and when that happened Valpo had one of its best teams ever (66-67--where we won 2 games in the college divsion NCAAs) So the game is scheduled when Houston wasn't all that great and Valpo was. The year of the game (the next year) we went 11-15 and Houston, who had beaten UCLA earlier in the year, lost to them in the final. The other fact where you were slightly off was with Elgin Baylor, who graduated ten years earlier and not from Houston.  The guy in question was Elvin Hayes.  Thier team may not have been as good as the Phi Slama Jamma team but was close.  That team also has Don Chaney on it.  Gene was not pleased that his former coach would run up the score on the clearly out maned Valpo team. Finally, I don't think Bruce Lindner played in that game.  As I recall Bruce would have been a freshman that year and freshman couldn't play with the varsity.  The key player on that team was Dick Jones who was the only remaining starter from the great team that scored over 100 seven times, before the 3 point rule was in effect.
Okay, okay. I was a little kid and my memory, without looking it up, certainly ran things together--I could have sworn Bruce Lindner played in that game--my apologies. Who wouldn't confuse Elvin Hayes with Elgin Baylor? You know, Baylor-Texas, Houston-Texas, Elgin-Elvin. I did say some people would think it might be even. An awful lot thought it wouldn't be close after the season started. I did not know of the relationship between Lewis and Bartow.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

ALL TIMES EASTERN STANDARD TIME

12/10/2013 Tuesday

Oakland at Indiana  7:00 p.m.
Green Bay at Eastern Michigan  7:00 p.m.
Evansville at Xavier  7:00 p.m.
Dartmouth at Illinois  8:00 p.m.

12/11/2013 Wednesday

Howard at Central Florida  7:00 p.m.
Milwaukee at Wisconsin  8:00 p.m.

12/12/2013 Thursday

No opponents' games scheduled

12/13/2013 Friday

No Opponents' games scheduled

12/14/2013 Saturday

Youngstown State at Pittsburgh  12:00 noon
Loyola-Marymount at Valpo  2:05 p.m.
Evansville at Jackson State  3:05 p.m.
Michigan State at Oakland  4:00 p.m.  (at Palace of Auburn Hills)
Detroit at North Carolina State  6:00 p.m.
James Madison at High Point  7:00 p.m.
Illinois-Chicago at S.E. Missouri State  8:00 p.m.
Ohio at Alabama A&M  8:00 p.m.
Green Bay at South Dakota  8:00 p.m.
Wofford at Saint Louis  8:00 p.m.

12/15/2013 Sunday

Wright State at Miami (OH)  2:00 p.m.

12/16/2013 Monday

Illinois State at Oakland  7:00 p.m.
Alcorn State at Mercer  7:00 p.m.
Western Carolina at Cleveland State  7:00 p.m.

12/17/2013 Tuesday

Jacksonville at Central Florida  7:00 p.m.
Bethune-Cookman at Youngstown State  7:05 p.m.
Southern Illinois-Carbondale at Murray State  8:00 p.m.
Tennessee Tech at Green Bay  8:00 p.m.
Ball State at Marquette  8:00 p.m.
California Poly-SLO at Loyola-Marymount  10:00 p.m.

12/18/2013 Wednesday

Massachusetts at Ohio  7:00 p.m.
Detroit at Akron  7:00 p.m.
James Madison at North Carolina-Greensboro  7:00 p.m.
Indiana State at Saint Louis  8:00 p.m.

12/19/2013 Thursday

Eastern Illinois at Wright State  7:00 p.m.

Kyle321n

Quote from: bbtds on December 08, 2013, 02:15:05 PMAaron has always been a good shooter.

Thanks for the laugh.

Last season he shot 37.13% from the field and 34.54% from three last season. Hell if you take out his horrific three point shooting he still shoots 39.52% from two last season.

This season he is shooting 36.21% from the field and 33.80% from three.  HE'S SHOOTING WORSE THAN A BAD LAST SEASON... This guy has always been one of the worst shooters in the league. 61.20% of his shots this season are from three.  Please let Aaron shoot 15 threes against us this season. PLEASE!
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

Quote from: Kyle321n on December 09, 2013, 10:11:14 AM
Quote from: bbtds on December 08, 2013, 02:15:05 PMAaron has always been a good shooter.

Thanks for the laugh.

Last season he shot 37.13% from the field and 34.54% from three last season. Hell if you take out his horrific three point shooting he still shoots 39.52% from two last season.

This season he is shooting 36.21% from the field and 33.80% from three.  HE'S SHOOTING WORSE THAN A BAD LAST SEASON... This guy has always been one of the worst shooters in the league. 61.20% of his shots this season are from three.  Please let Aaron shoot 15 threes against us this season. PLEASE!

This. And Aaron is not the reason Milwaukee is beating bad teams this year instead of losing to them like last year.

Grizz

There is no reason why we can't contend for the conference regular season championship and top seed in the tournament.  The ONLY teams that I have seen that look halfway decent are Green Bay and Milwaukee

Mr. Ft Wayne, did Valpo beat Ohio? No, but it was on the road right. Oakland beat them by 17, but it was at Oakland. I'm amazed at the things I've read on Horizon league message boards. When has November ever been an indicator how a team will finish. Teams non league schedules are so diverse that how does one really know. Also; young players get better, the top coaches get their teams better. How about the guy who said Bader shouldn't be first team. Really, the guy who is going to be the all time 3 point maker in the History of college basketball. A first team mid major all-american last year and a pre season guy this year isn't one of the best 5 players in the Horizon league. Having beaten Valpo the last 2 years I would think the Valpo fans might have some measure of respect for Oakland, but I guess only time will tell.

wh

I don't know a single Valpo supporter who isn't anything but happy that Oakland is a part of the league. It's a win-win for all of us. You shouldn't paint "Valpo fans" with a broad brush based on a couple of comments. Yes, you had an impressive win over Ohio. That said you can hardly blame anyone for not giving you much love, with nothing to show for your efforts until now but a bunch of blowout losses to teams where you are completely overmatched.

bbtds

Quote from: Kyle321n on December 09, 2013, 10:11:14 AM

Thanks for the laugh.

Quote from: a3uge on December 09, 2013, 10:48:50 AMThis. And Aaron is not the reason Milwaukee is beating bad teams this year instead of losing to them like last year.

Isn't it obvious. Arians/Aaron. I messed up on the shooters name.

You guys are starting to over react like some on the Saint Louis board.

wh

By the way, how much easier it is to put together Oskland's OOC schedule than ours. Just put out one message in the spring and send it to every high profile BCS program:

Will be your sacrificial lamb for OOC tune-up game in '13-14.  Will play anywhere, any time if the money is right. Contact Greg Kampe, Coach, Washington Generals.

FWalum

Quote from: Grizz on December 09, 2013, 11:59:58 AM
QuoteThere is no reason why we can't contend for the conference regular season championship and top seed in the tournament.  The ONLY teams that I have seen that look halfway decent are Green Bay and Milwaukee

Mr. Ft Wayne, did Valpo beat Ohio? No, but it was on the road right. Oakland beat them by 17, but it was at Oakland. I'm amazed at the things I've read on Horizon league message boards. When has November ever been an indicator how a team will finish. Teams non league schedules are so diverse that how does one really know. Also; young players get better, the top coaches get their teams better. How about the guy who said Bader shouldn't be first team. Really, the guy who is going to be the all time 3 point maker in the History of college basketball. A first team mid major all-american last year and a pre season guy this year isn't one of the best 5 players in the Horizon league. Having beaten Valpo the last 2 years I would think the Valpo fans might have some measure of respect for Oakland, but I guess only time will tell.
Ok, you got me. If you have read my other posts regarding Kampe and Oakland I think you would find them to be mostly positive.  I did watch the Ohio game and yes, other than the first 15 minutes, you guys played a very good game.  I know that your schedule has been brutal, but you would have to admit that it hasn't done much for the November perception of your team as a possible conference contender.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

classof2014

Quote from: Grizz on December 09, 2013, 11:59:58 AM
How about the guy who said Bader shouldn't be first team. Really, the guy who is going to be the all time 3 point maker in the History of college basketball. A first team mid major all-american last year and a pre season guy this year isn't one of the best 5 players in the Horizon league. 

How can you say he's one of the best players in the HL right now. His 3 point shooting percentage is good, at 40% but that's only good enough for 7th in the HL. He is 2nd in points but when you chuck up 11 3 pointers a game and hit 40% of them you're gonna have a high scoring percentage. His shooting percentage is not even 40%. All he is, is a glorified 3 point shooter. Right now he's not one of the 5 best players in the HL, perhaps when you were in the Summit he was but the HL he is not. He doesn't do much in the other stat columns as well, only averages 3 RBs, 1 Stl, and 1 Ast a game. You're gonna score a lot when you hit 40% from 3 and average 11 3 pointers attempted a game.

From watching a few Oakland games this season he has done nothing to wow me. He's a good player who takes a ton of threes which skews his numbers and makes him look like some scoring machine when he really isn't. Having a 39% field goal percentage is nothing special. Bader is a good player, a first-teamer he is not, at least not right now. He's a good 3-point shooter, I'll give him that.

78crusader

My Dad and I met the team bus after that Houston game.  If I am remembering this right, Houston, at that time, was ranked #1 in the country and had beaten UCLA and Lew Alcindor earlier in the season.  Houston had The Big E, Elvin Hayes, and (I think) Don Cheaney, another really good player. (Elgin Baylor, mentioned in an earlier post, played at Seattle University and was a multiple-time NBA All Star by 1968). 

Coach Bartow was the VU coach at the time, and he never came right out and said this to my dad, but the feeling I got was that Guy Edwards, the Houston coach, completely ran up the score on a pretty darn good, but overmatched, VU squad.  Maybe Dick Briars can fill us in on how Houston shamelessly ran up the score.  I was 12 or 13 years old at the time and I remember being totally, completely pissed off at Houston and their coach for a long time afterwards.  In fact, I STILL root against Houston whenever possible.

Paul

Grizz

Really 2014.....Bader is the focus of every defense we play. You make me laugh. If he played for Valpo you would have him as the POY already. This summer he was one of 20 players invited by the NBA to the Kevin Durrant skills camp for the 20 top wings in the country. Didn't see any other Horizon League players there. Probably should have been at least 5 Horizon league guys there before Bader but maybe they turned down the invite.  Here's what he does for the team. You have to take your best defender and face guard him and not help off him at any time leaving the rest of the players to play 4 on 4. If you don't he will put 45 on you so quick you will say how could that kid do that. Oh well, doesn't really matter what you or I think. The games that matter start on January 2nd.

Kyle321n

Quote from: Grizz on December 09, 2013, 02:52:01 PMReally 2014.....Bader is the focus of every defense we play. You make me laugh. If he played for Valpo you would have him as the POY already. This summer he was one of 20 players invited by the NBA to the Kevin Durrant skills camp for the 20 top wings in the country. Didn't see any other Horizon League players there. Probably should have been at least 5 Horizon league guys there before Bader but maybe they turned down the invite.  Here's what he does for the team. You have to take your best defender and face guard him and not help off him at any time leaving the rest of the players to play 4 on 4. If you don't he will put 45 on you so quick you will say how could that kid do that. Oh well, doesn't really matter what you or I think. The games that matter start on January 2nd.

I'm really looking forward to January 4th and not because I'm getting married that day.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpotx

I wouldn't put Oakland in the top 3 this year, but could consider them as a 4 after seeing some of their games.  I see it as GB, Valpo, UWM, then Oakland.  It's going to take me watching a UWM game before I put them ahead of us, just because they were that bad last year. 

Yes, Oakland has beaten us twice in a row, but honestly, it's going to take a long time before I fear a game against Oakland.  We beat Oakland 10 times while I was in school, and you only have a few victories overall in the series including the last several years.  It was the same when we played you in baseball, that you were a decent team, but we seemed to always beat you.  That perception will take awhile to change.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Kyle321n on December 09, 2013, 10:11:14 AMQuote from: bbtds on December 08, 2013, 03:15:05 PM

Aaron has always been a good shooter.

Thanks for the laugh.
I'm sure he was joking.  Jordan Aaron as the worst player in the HL last year was a common meme on here.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

Quote from: Grizz on December 09, 2013, 02:52:01 PM
Really 2014.....Bader is the focus of every defense we play. You make me laugh. If he played for Valpo you would have him as the POY already. This summer he was one of 20 players invited by the NBA to the Kevin Durrant skills camp for the 20 top wings in the country. Didn't see any other Horizon League players there. Probably should have been at least 5 Horizon league guys there before Bader but maybe they turned down the invite.  Here's what he does for the team. You have to take your best defender and face guard him and not help off him at any time leaving the rest of the players to play 4 on 4. If you don't he will put 45 on you so quick you will say how could that kid do that. Oh well, doesn't really matter what you or I think. The games that matter start on January 2nd.

Not saying he isn't a good player because he is. He's a terrific 3-point shooter and will be among the league leader in 3 point field goal percentage. He's just not one of the best HL players. He's very one-dimensional, at leas that's what it seems to me. You've known the Oakland program longer than I have. It will be interesting to see how he fares in the HL, which is much stronger than the SL.

motowntitan

Given that Valpo and OU have played Ohio with OU blowing them away in the 2nd half, I don't see how you can't include OU in a three-way at the top!  :lol:
(somebody had to say it)

historyman

I agree. If Oakland can keep beating teams like Ohio there is no reason to believe they can't win the HL title, both regular season and tournament. As usual almost every HL game this year will come down to the last few minutes of the game. Even UIC will be tough to beat.  And despite Wright St's lapses the Raiders will be ready come January. It's wide, wide open this season. Valpo will get more consistent with Carter. Green Bay will play some what soft on the road and extremely tough at home. In the end most of the HL teams will have a very good chance for first place.

motowntitan

Quote from: classof2014 on December 09, 2013, 05:39:29 PM
Not saying he isn't a good player because he is. He's a terrific 3-point shooter and will be among the league leader in 3 point field goal percentage. He's just not one of the best HL players. He's very one-dimensional, at leas that's what it seems to me. You've known the Oakland program longer than I have. It will be interesting to see how he fares in the HL, which is much stronger than the SL.

Talk about one dimensional.  You look at the 3pt % and use that as your logic.  Why not put Arceneaux on the 1st team because he shoots an astounding 56% of 3pt?  If everyone above Bader on that list shot as many 3's, there is very strong possibility that Bader would end up on top of that list.  A 40% clip and making 40 of them is very good.  It may be one dimensional, but that is their offense.  Don't blame him because of Kampe's offense.

bbtds

12/10/2013 Tuesday

Oakland  .
Indiana  .  7:00 p.m.
ESPN2

Green Bay  .
Eastern Michigan  .  7:00 p.m.
Most likely pay game http://www.emueagles.com/showcase/

Evansville  .
Xavier  .  7:00 p.m.
FOXSPORTS1

Dartmouth  .
Illinois  .  8:00 p.m.
Pay http://www.fightingillini.com/allaccess/?media=409668
(BTN is showing Minnesota hockey at 8:00 ET)

EddieCabot

Quote from: classof2014 on December 09, 2013, 02:21:18 PMHe is 2nd in points but when you chuck up 11 3 pointers a game and hit 40% of them you're gonna have a high scoring percentage. His shooting percentage is not even 40%.

Nailed it.  If Bader made a lower percentage or took fewer shots, he wouldn't be scoring as many points.