• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Opponents' Schedule & Results 2013-14

Started by bbtds, October 28, 2013, 07:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 03, 2013, 10:12:30 PM
Quote from: FWalum on December 03, 2013, 09:35:08 PM
Quote from: bbtds on December 03, 2013, 04:54:36 PM
Northern Iowa  72
Milwaukee  83
Watched the 2nd half of this game and was impressed with Matt Tiby.  Really high energy guy who reminds me of KVW a little in the post and also was able to step out and stroke a couple of 3's tonight.  Very versatile player.

This looks like a good win ... UNI was picked 3rd in the Valley.  Of note, it took UWM to December 3rd to match last season's win total of 8.  They may not be great, but they are definitely improved.

Northern Iowa certainly has some talent but they did not play well against Milwaukee because they didn't match up well against Tiby and Kelm. Valpo will have no problem with that.

bbtds

12/5/2013 Thursday

Wright State  59
North Carolina A&T State 62

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on December 05, 2013, 04:10:36 PM
12/5/2013 Thursday

Wright State  59
North Carolina A&T State 62

Wow, had to double check that to be sure. Wright State really just lost to a team picked 5th in the MEAC.

The problem is,even if we somehow put it all together for conference play and win the HL, we would be destined for the play in game in the NCAAs. This schedule had no margin of error is was so weak. Losing games like this is completely unacceptable.
For all the talk by BD about UD not playing us, for all the rants on this board about the schedule, for all the love in the press and USA Today about us possibly being the next mid-major cinderalla...to losing to NC A&T. It really is hard to be a fan for sure. We have season tickets, it's a family thing, and we're still going to go and cheer, but man, this loss is just hard to swallow.

http://wrightstate.proboards.com/thread/740/game-10-north-carolina?page=7

Little bit of a freakout happening in Dayton. That's the problem with the really weak schedule. If you drop a couple of those games, you're not going to get a chance to be a Cinderella because you'll be playing Kansas or Michigan St in the first round.

FWalum

QuoteBD has to learn the changes made in calling fouls makes his thinking of offense and defense more ineffective. Hope we can change and drive more and get to the rim or pass out for three.

Read more: http://wrightstate.proboards.com/thread/740/game-10-north-carolina?page=7#ixzz2mhuRgckX

This guy hit the nail on the head.  Their style of play has really been adversely affected by the way things are being called right now.  It will be interesting to see if this holds into conference play.  I don't think that the current hyper sensitive foul calling will continue into conference.  In watching some of the B1G ACC "challenge" games it looked like they were letting things get a little more physical.  The key will be how consistent the calls will be one game versus the next once the conference season hits.  Even with a little relaxation of the current emphasis I don't know if Wright State can be effective playing Donlon's game in this new reality.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Quote from: FWalum on December 06, 2013, 09:10:11 AM
QuoteBD has to learn the changes made in calling fouls makes his thinking of offense and defense more ineffective. Hope we can change and drive more and get to the rim or pass out for three.

Read more: http://wrightstate.proboards.com/thread/740/game-10-north-carolina?page=7#ixzz2mhuRgckX

This guy hit the nail on the head.  Their style of play has really been adversely affected by the way things are being called right now.  It will be interesting to see if this holds into conference play.  I don't think that the current hyper sensitive foul calling will continue into conference.  In watching some of the B1G ACC "challenge" games it looked like they were letting things get a little more physical.  The key will be how consistent the calls will be one game versus the next once the conference season hits.  Even with a little relaxation of the current emphasis I don't know if Wright State can be effective playing Donlon's game in this new reality.

I don't care what the rules are, if you can chokeslam a forward to the ground or if you aren't allowed to touch the opponent (Netball World Championship FINAL AUS V NZ 2011 OVERTIME), you shouldn't be losing to middle of the road MEAC teams.

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on December 06, 2013, 04:33:51 PM
Quote from: a3uge on December 06, 2013, 09:39:45 AMyou shouldn't be losing to middle of the road MEAC teams.
Agreed!

Too much athleticism for the Raiders to catch up to finally bit WSU in the nethers. You can say all you want to about how teams must play their defense differently with the way the rules have changed and the varying degrees different officiating crews have interpreted them but Wright State just couldn't catch up to the speed of A&T. Previously the Raiders had athletic teams. This year they simply don't have the speed to catch up with a team like the Aggies.

bbtds

12/6/2013 Friday

James Madison  76
Sam Houston State  77  (at Nacogdoches, TX-Stephen F Austin)

Loyola Marymount  68
Pittsburgh  85

talksalot

Could be a good day ... or not... for the Horizon League:

Wright State at Virginia Military  1:00 p.m. -
Youngstown State at MO-Kansas City  1:05 p.m.
Akron at Cleveland State  2:00 p.m.
Bradley at Milwaukee  4:00 p.m.
Illinois-Chicago at Loyola-IL  4:00 p.m.
Virginia at Green Bay  5:00 p.m.
Ohio at Oakland  6:00 p.m.
St. Louis at Valpo 7:05 p.m.

My heart says Wins by YSU, UIC, GBay and Valpo   ... 4-4 on the day.  (My head says CSU will be the 4th "W")

bbtds

12/7/2013 Saturday

Wright State  74
Virginia Military  94

Youngstown State  80 
MO-Kansas City  88

East Tennessee State  57 
Georgia Tech  87

Akron  73
Cleveland State  61

Miami (OH)  65  fouls-27
Evansville  78   fouls-20

Denver  63  OT 
Mercer  64 

Lipscomb  69
Murray State  73

Bradley  67
Milwaukee  73

Illinois-Chicago  70
Loyola-IL  73 

Virginia  72
Green Bay  75

Ohio  56
Oakland  73 

Stetson  58
Central Florida  77

Saint Louis  67
Valpo  65

James Madison  57
Stephen F Austin  70 (in Lumberjack Invitational)

bbtds

wh

So, CSU is dominated at home by a very average Akron team, who until today was off to a bad start to the season.  Like I said a couple of days ago, Cleveland State certainly is not a "top tier" HL team.

I don't even know what to say about Wright State anymore.  And, what's with YSU losing to an absolutely terrible UMKC team?

HC

WSU isn't very good, last year was a fluke. Coach Donlon can stomp and pout about as much as he wants.

wh

The HL conf. RPI is in free fall.  Over the past week we have dropped from 12th to 13th to 14th and now 15th. 

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2014/conferencerpi

classof2014

Hopefully us along with GB can pull out wins tonight. Would definitely help.

FWalum

There is no reason why we can't contend for the conference regular season championship and top seed in the tournament.  The ONLY teams that I have seen that look halfway decent are Green Bay and Milwaukee.

Great win against Virginia!  The conference needs a few more of those.

wh

Quote from: wh on December 07, 2013, 03:38:21 PM
The HL conf. RPI is in free fall.  Over the past week we have dropped from 12th to 13th to 14th and now 15th. 

Strange happening.  Earlier in the day we were 15th.  By day's end we move all the way back to 12th.  Also, look who's now in 11th.

bbtds

12/8/2013 Sunday

Rhode Island  68
Detroit  70 

Auburn  62
Illinois  81   (at Philips Arena, Atlanta)

ALL TIMES EASTERN STANDARD TIME

wh

From Milwaukee's ghostofdylan:

Clearly, Green Bay seems to be the class of the league this year.

After that, Milwaukee, Valparaiso and perhaps Cleveland State should be right in the mix.

The enforcement of the no-hands-and-forearms rule appears to have effectively eliminated the clutch-and-grab defensive technique advanced by Wright State coach Billy Donlon.

As of the moment, it looks like a first team of Kendrick Perry, Travis Bader, Bryn Forbes, Matt Tiby and Player of the Year Keifer Sykes and a second team of Lavonte Dority, Kelsey Barlow, Juwan Howard Jr., Alec Peters and Jordan Aaron.

Agreed.

classof2014

Quote from: wh on December 08, 2013, 10:53:46 AM
From Milwaukee's ghostofdylan:

Clearly, Green Bay seems to be the class of the league this year.

After that, Milwaukee, Valparaiso and perhaps Cleveland State should be right in the mix.

The enforcement of the no-hands-and-forearms rule appears to have effectively eliminated the clutch-and-grab defensive technique advanced by Wright State coach Billy Donlon.

As of the moment, it looks like a first team of Kendrick Perry, Travis Bader, Bryn Forbes, Matt Tiby and Player of the Year Keifer Sykes and a second team of Lavonte Dority, Kelsey Barlow, Juwan Howard Jr., Alec Peters and Jordan Aaron.

Agreed.

Agree with everything but Bader on the first team. Yes, he's averaging 21 PPG but his he's only shooting 40% from the floor and averages 16 shots a game and only makes about 6 of them. And he's throws up about 11 3 pointers a game and make only about 4 to 5 of those. He's only average 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, about 3 PF and about 2 TOs.

I would say LVD deserves it over Bader at this moment. He's averaging 16 PPG, on 46.6% shooting, 40% from beyond the arc. If Dority averaged 16 shots a game he would be in the low to mid 20s. He averages about 3 boards, 2 Assists, and 2 turnovers and about 2 PFs. Overall his numbers are better.

Overall I agree with the list, just flip-flop LVD for Bader. LVD has been much more effective.

VULB#62

What's with UWM?  Most of you guys left them for dead in September.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 08, 2013, 12:54:25 PM

Tiby and Kelm have been tough to match up against and Aaron has always been a good shooter.

justducky

Quote from: wh on December 07, 2013, 03:03:46 PMSo, CSU is dominated at home by a very average Akron team, who until today was off to a bad start to the season.  Like I said a couple of days ago, Cleveland State certainly is not a "top tier" HL team.

I don't even know what to say about Wright State anymore.
I watched portions of those games and both teams appear to be relearning how to play defense. Very very ugly defensive performances! I have no idea how long it will take those programs to adjust and fully recover.

On the other hand  I have been saying since before the season began that the new way that basketball will be whistled is going to play right into the strengths of our current personnel. Many  of these half court drives that LaVonte is now turning into points would have been charges last year. With the addition of Carter I would expect all of our guards to up their attacks on the basket and let the whistles blow. So if HL teams choose to play us tight outside then I will wish them luck with that strategy.(see last nights near upset) If they choose to pack it in with a sagging man or zone then most of those games we win because of our size inside and shooting outside. I do not believe that any HL team will be able to challenge us to that hypothetical war of attrition because who else will go 10 deep with our types of physical talent?

But--continue to be patient, there still are a lot of loose ends tripping us up.

dylanrocks

Quote from: bbtds on December 08, 2013, 02:15:05 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on December 08, 2013, 12:54:25 PM

Tiby and Kelm have been tough to match up against and Aaron has always been a good shooter.
And Austin Arians, now a sophomore, has been among the most efficient perimeter players in the country.

Thanks, guys. I check the board almost daily and look forward to rekindling a competitive rivalry.

talksalot

Quote from: talksalot on December 01, 2013, 07:59:11 AMOH, several people asked if the 117-108 game on Friday was a school record for points in a game at 225...From the Record Book....quick answer:  no.
Consider that the 3-point field goal line was not established until 1986.

At Ball State 2/19/64  Cardinals won 117-116... total points 233
Muhlenberg  12/6/68  Valpo won 138-89... total points 227
Wheaton 3/1/69  Valpo won 121-104 ... total points 225

And How Could I Forget one!   Thanks Dick Briars for finding the highest scoring game... Houston 158 - Valpo 81. Feb 24, 1968... 239 points... skipped right over it