• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2021-2022

Started by wh, June 25, 2021, 04:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pgmado

I have some thoughts on all of this, but I'm exhausted after two volleyball matches last night and a football game tonight. Three more volleyball matches tomorrow, two Chicago/Boston marathon stories coming as well as a VUWSO feature. Trust me, I want nothing more than to shift all of my focus to Beacon Basketball, but with no full-time reporters at The Times, there's a ton on my plate right now. The answers WE all seek are coming soon. Ever since March 2020, I've yearned for a return to normalcy. While it hasn't all come at once, I do know that basketball at the ARC with fans is going to be a big part of moving forward.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Pgmado on October 16, 2021, 12:37:47 AMI have some thoughts on all of this, but I'm exhausted after two volleyball matches last night and a football game tonight. Three more volleyball matches tomorrow, two Chicago/Boston marathon stories coming as well as a VUWSO feature. Trust me, I want nothing more than to shift all of my focus to Beacon Basketball, but with no full-time reporters at The Times, there's a ton on my plate right now. The answers WE all seek are coming soon. Ever since March 2020, I've yearned for a return to normalcy. While it hasn't all come at once, I do know that basketball at the ARC with fans is going to be a big part of moving forward.

Bless you and thank you for all that you do!

valpopal

The opening exhibition game against Ashland on Oct. 30 will get a promotional boost by being featured as a part of the inauguration festivities honoring Pres. Padilla on that day. The inauguration takes place at 2:30, a reception follows at 4, and the game is scheduled for 6. Consequently, attendance should be enhanced beyond what is normally seen for an early exhibition contest. Also, Valpo sports will be part of the kickoff for Inauguration Week with an alumni lecture by Lloyd McClendon on October 24. You can view the full Inauguration Week schedule of events at the following:
https://www.valpo.edu/president/presidential-inauguration/

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on October 16, 2021, 10:08:05 AM
The opening exhibition game against Ashland on Oct. 30 will get a promotional boost by being featured as a part of the inauguration festivities honoring Pres. Padilla on that day. The inauguration takes place at 2:30, a reception follows at 4, and the game is scheduled for 6. Consequently, attendance should be enhanced beyond what is normally seen for an early exhibition contest. Also, Valpo sports will be part of the kickoff for Inauguration Week with an alumni lecture by Lloyd McClendon on October 24. You can view the full Inauguration Week schedule of events at the following:
https://www.valpo.edu/president/presidential-inauguration/

Thanks for posting this.  I hope some of these things will end up on YouTube, at least the inauguration ceremony itself.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Great Union Street Hoops episode with Todd giving us his preseason ideas.

So we have a starting lineup of Krikke, Anderson, Taylor, Sheldon and Kithier, with King (when eligible) being the 6th man and first replacement for most any injury. Then we've got rotation players in Eron, Hedstrom, Connor and Darius for a 10 player total rotation.  He think a couple of freshman might and that's a big MIGHT redshirt.

We have so much depth that the redshirt option makes sense but does it really at the mid-major level?  No playing time? Transfer.  Or, is the program at a level (certainly not recently) where guys will wait their turn?

Todd was especially high on Taylor and Kithier which should really help Ben and Sheldon and of course, King is the total wildcard and maybe the overall star by the end of the season.  Can't wait!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

The first 2022 Pomeroy ratings are out today. Valparaiso sits at a disappointing 236, and it appears to be 10th in the MVC! I expect to see that ranking rise as the season progresses: https://kenpom.com/

vu72

Now that we have Todd's evaluation and projected starting five, let's take a look at last year versus this year.

S I looked at the second Loyola game, which we almost won, and looked at that starting lineup.

Clay
McMillan
Krikke
Gordon
Edwards

That would matchup versus:

Taylor
Kithier
Krikke
Anderson
Edwards

So we have two starters back and assume they will be better than last year.  Then we have Kithier versus McMillan at the five, Anderson versus Gordon at the 1 and Taylor versus Clay at the 3.
Clay scored 5 points in that game, Gordon had 2 and McMillan had 2.  You get the picture... ::)

wh

Quote from: vu72 on October 17, 2021, 12:46:44 PM
Now that we have Todd's evaluation and projected starting five, let's take a look at last year versus this year.

S I looked at the second Loyola game, which we almost won, and looked at that starting lineup.

Clay
McMillan
Krikke
Gordon
Edwards

That would matchup versus:

Taylor
Kithier
Krikke
Anderson
Edwards

So we have two starters back and assume they will be better than last year.  Then we have Kithier versus McMillan at the five, Anderson versus Gordon at the 1 and Taylor versus Clay at the 3.
Clay scored 5 points in that game, Gordon had 2 and McMillan had 2.  You get the picture... ::)

On paper, this year's roster is much better in every respect. High major players that played and contributed at that level, experience, self-discipline, maturity, team-orientation, depth, quality returning players, etc. we've also ridded ourself of a player who used COVID as an excuse to add 50 lbs of fat, another who used COVID as an excuse to become a part time player, a totally selfish player who refused to play inside, and a freshman crybaby. Complete drama queens - all 4.

I've looked at what every team is bringing to the table this year. Including Valpo, there are 4 teams that unquestionably will be better than last year. Loyola is not 1 of them, contrary to what old guard prognosticators say. Of the 4 Valpo has clearly made the biggest step up. Is it enough to overcome last year's deficit? We'll see.

wh

When Valpo shows up 7th in the upcoming pre-season team rankings announcement, that will be proof positive that most voters don't do their homework. That said, it's up to Matt and this team to perform at a higher level to where they can't be ignored.

bb33

To me, preseason ranking are meaningless, and merely a guess as to who will step up this year. Since no one has seen our guys play yet, including us, I don't care (much) that we are last.  If the team is underestimated, even if it is just mentally by the players, that could translate to extra points on the floor.    Let's face it, you completely step up your game and mindset when you play #1. You usually don't when you play #10. 

Let's surprise the world!!  Go Valpo!!

JD24

Should I just forward Keyondre Young's name to the portal people now and get it over with?

wh

Quote from: JD24 on October 17, 2021, 11:33:01 PM
Should I just forward Keyondre Young's name to the portal people now and get it over with?

I'm glad I'm not the only one concerned by Todd's remarks on the podcast. On one hand, I understand there's a lot of depth at his position and he's only a freshman, yet if he was good enough to lead the 2nd team in scoring in a simulated game with refs, it doesn't seem to make sense that he couldn't compete for playing time. On the other hand, we have 6 years of players on the same team, which is a ridiculous age and experience spread to deal with. I guess my thought is if the staff is concerned that he might not get the playing time he deserves due to this odd ball situation, they should let him decide if he wants to redshirt. He could be ok with that, knowing he would have a year to bulk and the possibility of 4 great years ahead. If he wants to play, let him play and figure out how to get him playing time. Nobody said talent coming out of your ears was going to be easy to deal with.

BTW, I watched several of his games last year, including all of his tournament games. He dominated against top notch competition with all star players. He started the season ranked something like 10th, and blew everyone ahead of him away. You don't bring a player of his quality all the way up here from Oklahoma and have him sit at the end of the bench.

valpospartan

Quote from: wh on October 13, 2021, 10:20:25 PM
Quote from: wh on October 08, 2021, 05:12:24 PM
Received this email:

Season Ticket Holder Open Practice Event
Athletics-Recreation Center
Wednesday
October 13th - 5:30 PM

Valpo Athletics is thrilled to have you, our loyal, enthusiastic, and loud fans back in the stands this season.  The ARC was not the same without you.  As we look forward to what promises to be an exciting non-conference slate and a demanding Missouri Valley Conference season your support means more than ever. 
We want to provide you the opportunity to become reacquainted with your favorite players and be introduced to this year's new members.  You are cordially invited to the annual Season Ticket Holder Open Practice event on October 13th beginning at 5:30 PM. 
You will be able to catch a glimpse of both our women's and men's basketball teams followed by introductions and words from Matt Lottich and Mary Evans.  Tickets, parking and hospitality passes will be available for pick up. 
As a thank you for supporting the teams we will have exclusive shirts for our Season Ticket Holders.  These shirts will be distributed at a special Season Ticket Holder game during the season.  The Open Practice will be your opportunity to put in your size request.  If you cannot attend, your tickets/passes will be placed in the mail and a ticket office representative will follow up for your t-shirt size(s).
Thank you again for your continued support and your commitment to Valpo Basketball.

Go Beacons!

If you still need to renew your tickets please contact the Valpo Ticket Office at 219-464-5233.

I was not able to attend the open practice event this evening. Did anyone else attend? What were your impressions? Paul, I know you must have gone. Chairback? Anyone?

In addition to what HUMBLEOPINION said, there were words said by Mark LaBarbera, Mary Evans and Matt Lottich.  This was followed by the team introductions, where each member introduced themselves.  However, most of what they all said was unintelligible (except for Mark & Matt because they both talked loudly) because of the crummy PA system. 

wh

Quote from: valpopal on October 17, 2021, 11:08:59 AM
The first 2022 Pomeroy ratings are out today. Valparaiso sits at a disappointing 236, and it appears to be 10th in the MVC! I expect to see that ranking rise as the season progresses: https://kenpom.com/

I love this! Last in the Valley and below dozens of LOW major teams. Someone pin this on the locker room bulletin board and above every urinal ASAP. lol

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on October 18, 2021, 05:43:02 PM
Quote from: valpopal on October 17, 2021, 11:08:59 AMThe first 2022 Pomeroy ratings are out today. Valparaiso sits at a disappointing 236, and it appears to be 10th in the MVC! I expect to see that ranking rise as the season progresses: https://kenpom.com/
I love this! Last in the Valley and below dozens of LOW major teams. Someone pin this on the locker room bulletin board and above every urinal ASAP. lol

Yeah we should be significantly better than that. If not, fire Lottich without any hesitation.

JD24

Quote from: wh on October 17, 2021, 03:14:49 PM
Quote from: vu72 on October 17, 2021, 12:46:44 PMNow that we have Todd's evaluation and projected starting five, let's take a look at last year versus this year. S I looked at the second Loyola game, which we almost won, and looked at that starting lineup. Clay McMillan Krikke Gordon Edwards That would matchup versus: Taylor Kithier Krikke Anderson Edwards So we have two starters back and assume they will be better than last year.  Then we have Kithier versus McMillan at the five, Anderson versus Gordon at the 1 and Taylor versus Clay at the 3. Clay scored 5 points in that game, Gordon had 2 and McMillan had 2.  You get the picture... ::)
On paper, this year's roster is much better in every respect. High major players that played and contributed at that level, experience, self-discipline, maturity, team-orientation, depth, quality returning players, etc. we've also ridded ourself of a player who used COVID as an excuse to add 50 lbs of fat, another who used COVID as an excuse to become a part time player, a totally selfish player who refused to play inside, and a freshman crybaby. Complete drama queens - all 4. I've looked at what every team is bringing to the table this year. Including Valpo, there are 4 teams that unquestionably will be better than last year. Loyola is not 1 of them, contrary to what old guard prognosticators say. Of the 4 Valpo has clearly made the biggest step up. Is it enough to overcome last year's deficit? We'll see.
I'm hoping Todd simply forgot about him and didn't mention him. Young should be the type of player who upgrades the roster over nearly every player on the roster.  He should be playing on any roster in the MVC. It's quite possible that some of the guys mentioned are overvalued.

valpopal

MVC preseason poll places Valpo at 7th place but only 4 points ahead of 9th place Indiana State. This comes after Ken Pomeroy's preseason ranking puts Valpo in 10th place. Either outsiders are seeing something we aren't or they are just showing little respect based upon results in the past. I believe anything short of top-5 will be disappointing and unacceptable, though I hope for even better.
[tweet]1450824131574788101[/tweet]

bb33

SIU could be really good this year, with all five starters returning so I am hesitant to say falling behind them is a failure.  I am hopefully for a top five finish, but without seeing the team first hand, and how good the other teams turn out to be,  it is hard to gauge where we should realistic be. The non conference games should reveal a lot.  (But then again, Evansville  beat Kentucky and then goose egged the Valley.)   Looking forward to the season and cheering on this team.  One thing is for sure, I will do my part at the games I can attend.

vu72

I can see the predictors picking everybody a head of us except Bradley.  Heck, they lost Elijah Childs, who went pro, and two other starters, Nolan Jr and McAdoo to transfer.

wh

7th in one poll, 10th in another, bottom quartile in D-1, the only team not mentioned in an "MVC preview" podcast. This is all based on negative program perception, nothing more substantive or analytical than that. If our name was Loyola or Drake, we would be ranked no lower than 3rd with the exact same roster. Pundits would be profiling past accomplishments of our D-1 Major transfers, drueling over our freshman recruiting class, our 3 Mr. Basketballs, on and on. I'm not suggesting that we should expect to be ranked higher. Credibility has to be earned, and we have earned very little since we made the jump. My point is these "wild guesses," completely polluted by recency bias, should be taken with a grain of salt.

Let's get the season underway already. I'm tired of wallowing in this useless, demoralizing, nonsense.

justducky

Quote from: wh on October 20, 2021, 10:30:05 AMLet's get the season underway already. I'm tired of wallowing in this useless, demoralizing, nonsense.

:thumbsup: By X-mas EVERYBODY will have torn up their MVC projections and will start over from scratch. Should be fun to watch!

bb33

To put it all in perspective, MSU was picked picked first in 2017-18 and 2019-20, yet they finished 7th and 6th.  These polls mean nothing.  No one knows what our team is going to look like.  I also think the top four teams' fan bases feel this is their year,  best rosters ever, etc.  I see a lot of disappointment this year.  Only one can be on top.

wh

Called the ticket office to see if I could purchase another season ticket. I asked how ticket sales are going so far. It sounds like they're going ok, with some suspected COVID wariness on behalf of some.