• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Basketball Press Conference on Tuesday (Reports: Bryce to be Head Coach)

Started by valpopal, May 16, 2011, 02:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlh

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 16, 2011, 09:29:18 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on May 16, 2011, 04:04:58 PM
Does a change of coaches allow a student to leave without having to sit out a year?

i don't believe so, but i could be wrong
No...the player commits to the school not the coach....unless the school agrees to release him

vuweathernerd

thanks homer for all the memories over the last several years, since i started paying attention to valpo basketball and then during my tenure as a student. he was nothing if not gracious to everybody, including the students who came out to the games. good luck bryce!

valpo04

Quote from: valpopal on May 16, 2011, 06:22:17 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on May 16, 2011, 05:18:00 PM
Well, we knew this day was coming, didn't we?  I couldn't find it in any of the prior links, but it'll be interesting to see how many guaranteed years Bryce gets on his contract.  I'm guessing 5-7 years.

Is this press conference going to be streamed?

Yes, see the following note:

The Valparaiso University Department of Athletics will hold a news conference at 11 a.m. CDT, Tuesday, May 17, 2011, in the Harre Union Ballroom to make a major announcement concerning the men's basketball program. You are invited to join University President Mark A. Heckler and me for further details.

If you are unable to attend, the news conference will also be streamed live through the Horizon League Network at www.horizonleague.org/live/3883

I encourage you to come out and show your support.

Mark Labarbera
Crusaders Director of Athletics

We will be streaming it on the front page of this site as well (http://www.valpofanzone.com)

agibson

I have another commitment, unfortunately.  I hope HLN archives it!

csd72

I knew that this would eventually happen, but it was a shock when I saw it this morning. I have enjoyed watching Homer coach, and look forward to seeing how Bryce does on his own. This should be an interesting year.

valpo04

Homer didn't step down on the condition that Bryce be hired.  Heckler said that Homer obviously gave his opinion, but then stepped back.

No search, no other candidates.

blackpantheruwm

Too late in the off-season for any kind of outside coaching search.

LaBarbera cites Butler, Wright State and Green Bay as examples of schools that have internal plans for succession.  Incorrect on the last one; Brian Wardle should have been hired immediately, but they took what...3 weeks up in GB?

Valpo, like Wright State last year, made the right hire the right way.  Green Bay made the right hire the wrong way.  You have a guy you know is the guy, you get him done.

blackpantheruwm

It's good to see this is more of a happy transition than bittersweet.

vu72

I lost my signal.  Did Bryce say anything about adding an additional member to the team, or recruiting in general.  You know, something like "we still are pursueing players for next year's roster"
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofan56

Quote from: vu72 on May 17, 2011, 11:55:55 AM
I lost my signal.  Did Bryce say anything about adding an additional member to the team, or recruiting in general.  You know, something like "we still are pursueing players for next year's roster"

Not specifically, but he did say he would be getting back to work recruiting right away and that he would be on the phone for most of the day today.  Maybe a hint at something imminent . . .

dylanrocks

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on May 17, 2011, 11:42:20 AM
Green Bay made the right hire the wrong way.

I would say that Green Bay made a cheap hire the dog-and-pony way.

sectionee

I wrote up a little something on the front page of this site about the press conference.
http://www.valpofanzone.com/

Crusader65

Quote from: sectionee on May 17, 2011, 01:40:00 PM
I wrote up a little something on the front page of this site about the press conference.

Great summary and I agree the right move.  This team should know what to expect and any tweaks or wrinkles Bryce wants to implement shouldn't take as long as for a new face to the program.  Next question - Who will be the next assistant hired?

covufan

The move to valpofanzone has been nice for this topic - we don't have to read jj's rant about nepotism.

Valpo89

That reminds me. Did this latest move confuse JJ? I don't recall seeing any posts from him in the recent past.

wh

I'm a little late chiming in, but I want to offer my heartfelt congratulations to Homer on an outstanding coaching career and representing Valparaiso Unitvershity with class and distinction over all the years.  How appropriate it is to have the Homer Drew Court as a part of his legacy and a lasting memory of his many contributions to VU. 

covufan

Quote from: Valpo89 on May 17, 2011, 02:32:19 PM
That reminds me. Did this latest move confuse JJ? I don't recall seeing any posts from him in the recent past.

I don't think he has registered here, that is why I posted about him.  I know he has done well for the university, but some of his rants didn't make much sense.

wh

I have also noticed that jj has been MIA recently.  I hope he's doing ok.  That's the strange thing about the anonymity of a message board.  If someone just abruptly stops posting, there's no way of telling if it's something serious like a health issue - or worse.

valpo04

Quote from: sectionee on May 17, 2011, 01:40:00 PM
http://www.valpofanzone.com/

Great piece.   :thumbsup:

I also encourage anyone who wants to blog about any and all athletic topics to sign up!  Just hit the "Log In" button on the top right and register!

valpo04

Quote from: wh on May 17, 2011, 02:52:47 PM

I have also noticed that jj has been MIA recently.  I hope he's doing ok.  That's the strange thing about the anonymity of a message board.  If someone just abruptly stops posting, there's no way of telling if it's something serious like a health issue - or worse.

He has been logging on to the old board.  I sent him several messages and emails to remind him of the switch.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo04 on May 17, 2011, 02:55:52 PM
Quote from: wh on May 17, 2011, 02:52:47 PM

I have also noticed that jj has been MIA recently.  I hope he's doing ok.  That's the strange thing about the anonymity of a message board.  If someone just abruptly stops posting, there's no way of telling if it's something serious like a health issue - or worse.

He has been logging on to the old board.  I sent him several messages and emails to remind him of the switch.

jj's waiting for a box to pop up that tells him there is an update to the Valpo FF.

He's logging in for sure.

QuoteActive Users In The Past 24 Hours 

1 Staff Member, 6 Members, 352 Guests
jj, valpo04, valpoye, elephtheria47, valpo89, agibson, valpogal

covufan

I hope that jj makes it over to the new board soon.  Can you tell if he is lurking here by IP address?