• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/14, 6:30CT - NIT 1st Round - (7) Valpo @ (2) Miami (FL)

Started by valpotx, March 11, 2012, 08:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I very much like this match-up.  There is absolutely no mystique about Miami.  This is a team we should play well against
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpotx on March 11, 2012, 08:06:12 PM
I very much like this match-up.  There is absolutely no mystique about Miami.  This is a team we should play well against

it's very much a winnable game. especially if we can get good performances out of kevin and rowdy.

agibson

60 RPI.  Tied for 4th in the ACC at 9-7.  19-12 overall.  13-3 at home.  Knocked out in the second round of the ACC tournament by #17 Florida State.  They beat Florida State in Miami, and also won at Duke.

Worst loss?  At Maryland?  No really bad losses.  Maryland is RPI 105.  Worst home loss?  NC State?

Not going to be an easy game.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on March 11, 2012, 08:13:24 PM
60 RPI.  Tied for 4th in the ACC at 9-7.  19-12 overall.  13-3 at home.  Knocked out in the second round of the ACC tournament by #17 Florida State.  They beat Florida State in Miami, and also won at Duke.

Worst loss?  At Maryland?  No really bad losses.  Maryland is RPI 105.  Worst home loss?  NC State?

Not going to be an easy game.

easy? not likely. but that doesn't mean we can't win it. but we're going to have to play more like we did against butler than against detroit if that's the goal.

vuweathernerd

the winner gets the winner of la salle/minnesota - another potentially good game.

valporun

Looking at our bracket, depending on the wins, it could be a rather inexpensive travel plan compared to other teams. The most expensive travel brackets look to be the Washington or Arizona brackets. The most uncertain playouts in brackets have to be Seton Hall and Tennessee brackets. I feel the Washington bracket could be Dayton's, and the Seton Hall bracket will probably go to Drexel. The Tennessee bracket, if we can't go deep, I see either Tennessee or Miami doing something in our bracket.

valpopal

The players certainly cannot be too disappointed with this trip to Miami during spring break!  ;)

BigMoSmithFan

I'm glad that we got a matchup with a major conference opponent. This will be good preparation for everyone on the team for next season.

valpotx

Yes, Miami has some good wins and no really bad losses.  However, in each of the past seasons where we have made the postseason, it always seemed like we were placed against a team that had more than just their solid players working for them.  Boston College, Arizona, Maryland, Michigan State, Kentucky, and Gonzaga each had/have programs at the elite level at the time we were playing them.  This added an intimidation factor that can be daunting if you get behind a team early.  This match-up is more like our wins against Ole Miss, Florida State, Washington, and losses to Iowa/Rhode Island/Houston/Iona.  Yes, it is a major conference opponent, but one that will just be a match-up between their respective players, rather than our players versus theirs, along with the strong history of their program.  As a player, the history of the program can add the mystique I originally mentioned, which can add the extra nerves.  Hopefully this makes sense...lol
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

Miami looks like a team of "high variability".  They only shoot 43% from the floor and have about a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio, but they beat Duke (AT DUKE) and beat Florida State.  It seems pretty questionable which Miami team will show up - but Valpo needs to be prepared for a team looking to prove something.

Doubtful there will be many in attendance - Miami drew 7,000 for North Carolina in February and their last home game had 3700.

historyman

The disappointment in not making the NCAA tournament is much more evident in this video from the U of M Hurricanes website than the talk about the NIT tournament. There isn't much mention of Valpo except the mispronunciation of Valpara-I-so and saying that the Crusaders won their league. No mention of beating Butler 3 times. Their coach, Larranaga, mentions that Valpo is a three point shooting team and is different from the teams that the Canes usually play.

Coach Larranaga and Malcolm Grant talk about the NIT

agibson

From the beat writers today, Edwards' family hasn't been to see him play this season? 

I think I could pretty easily get behind some sort of (modest?) stipend for family travel.   I mean,  it might be for non-financial reasons that they haven't been able to make a trip to Valpo.  But...

agibson

Quote from: historyman on March 12, 2012, 08:24:18 AMTheir coach, Larranaga, mentions that Valpo is a three point shooting team and is different from the teams that the Canes usually play.

Yeah, that's about what we got on the NIT selection show too.  I mean, for _some_ games we're a three point shooting team.  It really felt like it was a minority.  A couple of memorable games late in the conference season.

I don't suppose they'll overlook KVW, after they have time to do some scouting.

sliman

Wish I could feel good about this match up.  This could be a loss by a wide margin comparable to some of our first round exits in the NCAA tournament.  Hopefully, as someone pointed out, it will be a valuable lesson as preparation begins for next year.

crusaderjoe

Having gone to both schools, this is one hell of a match up for me as a fan.  Miami is a good team, but if Valpo plays their "A" game, they can win.  The intangible IMO is the Durand Scott situation.  If he stays ineligible (improper benefits), and we bring our "A" game, I like our chances. I think we can win, but a "C" or even "B" game probably won't do it.

VULB#62

There's something to be said, mystique or no mystique, about an opponent pounding away against ACC teams on a game by game basis. The ACC is a lot of bigs banging a lot of the time. So, ya got to have more than just KVW to match playing styles.  But having said that, you can already sense that Miami is dismissing Valpar-eye-zo as  road kill on the way to the next game.  Not wise.

mj

It might sound ridiculous, but I consider this game an early start to next season. If we think we're going to be a better team next year, then we need to prove that we can beat the big boys now. A run deep into the NIT might do wonders for this team next season.
I believe that we will win.

StlVUFan

Not ridiculous at all.  Precisely how Brad Stevens is viewing Butler in the CBI.

valpopal

valpotx

I say that the disappointment of not making the NCAA tournament really affects Miami at the beginning of the game (like our reaction to the CIT last year).  How we respond to their slow start will determine the outcome.  We didn't take advantage of Detroit's terrible first half like we could have, and it bit us in the end.  I think we don't make that mistake again:

Valpo 71
Miami 68
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1101333-nit-2012-bracket-breaking-down-sleeper-teams-in-each-region

Top-Left Region

Valparaiso Crusaders

The best attribute for Valpo is its ability to shoot the ball. The Crusaders are the best shooting team in this field, hitting over 47 percent of their shots.

Despite their high-percentage shooting, the Crusaders don't have great athletes. That is why they have to play a slower style in order to win. When they are forced to run, they lose energy early and make mistakes late in games.

They are in an easy bracket; all the Crusaders have to worry about is getting past a hot-and-cold Miami team in the first round. If they do that, they should cruise into the Final Four.

Hopefully he didn't _just_ compare shooting percentages.   But, nice to see someone likes us to make a run.... if we can get past Miami.

VUfan

odds makers don't seem to like us Miami is a 12 point favorite the biggist spread of the first round games, and make Valpo 100 to 1 odds to win the NIT the 4Th longest of the 32 teams.
gota be upset time!
Valpo 69
Miami 67

StlVUFan

Paul Oren is tweeting a couple illnesses.  This is not looking good.  Harris and Kenney, I believe.  Not out by any means, but not flying until tomorrow.

MattCarter

Looking like Valpo will be the walking wounded at this game.  Rowdy, Kenney, and now Jay all sick.  Lovely. 
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

covufan

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 13, 2012, 11:54:33 AM
Paul Oren is tweeting a couple illnesses.  This is not looking good.  Harris and Kenney, I believe.  Not out by any means, but not flying until tomorrow.
Not looking good if two players are under the weather, at best.  We need everyone at 100%, and bringing their 'A' game.  We really need a great shooting night, and keeping Miami off the boards.