• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2019-2020

Started by VULB#62, March 12, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusader05

In a testament to how much last off-season broke me I had a minor heart palpitation when I saw an article about Valpo with the word transfer in it before I could fully comprehend what the words actually said.

4throwfan

This thread is for the 2019-2020 season, and I'm simply glad that the season is finally here.  Really excited, and can't wait to see tomorrow's game. 

I think that it's kind of a testament to the enthusiasm of the fan base in that we're already 20 pages into this thread before the first game is even played.

valpopal

Quote from: humbleopinion on October 15, 2019, 07:29:25 PM
According to ML this evening at the Meet and Greet, the game day experience should be different this year.  Among the things he mentioned are a greater diversity of music, use of the jumbotron better to support the flow of the game (implicitly limiting or eliminating ads), better concessions, and bringing back halftime entertainment.

Adjusting the use of the Jumbotron to avoid killing fan enthusiasm with commercials.  :thumbsup:
Better concessions.  :thumbsup:
Bringing back halftime entertainment.  :thumbsup:
Diversity of music.  :-X

VUBBFan

New Team, New Season, New Sign. Everyone jump in the boat for a journey to a magical season. #OneTeamOneBoat #GoValpo

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/1185780316801253381

EddieCabot

FWIW, Ken Pomeroy released his first KenPom rankings for the upcoming season.  He has Valpo at #212 nationally (they finished at #220 last year), which ranks 8th in the MVC.  He's projecting a 7-11 MVC record, tying Valpo with SIU and ISUr for last.

VU2014

VU2014

EddieCabot

With only one exhibition game on the schedule, I assume the team will also be playing in a "secret scrimmage" against another DI team.  Does anyone have details on this?

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on October 23, 2019, 08:13:11 AM
With only one exhibition game on the schedule, I assume the team will also be playing in a "secret scrimmage" against another DI team.  Does anyone have details on this?

Don't tell anybody but it is with UIC.  :-X
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ValpoHoops

MISSOURI VALLEY
Bradley – 10/20 vs. Eastern Illinois
Drake – 10/18 vs. Omaha
Evansville – 10/20 vs. UT Martin
Illinois State – 10/27 at Iowa
Indiana State – 10/20 vs. SEMO in Indianapolis; 10/27 vs. Murray State in Evansville
Loyola Chicago – 10/22 vs. Saint Louis
Missouri State – 10/19 at SMU
Northern Iowa – 10/20 vs. North Dakota State in Minneapolis; 10/26 vs. South Dakota State
Southern Illinois – 10/26 vs. Miami (Ohio)
Valparaiso – 10/27 at UIC

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on October 23, 2019, 08:59:05 AM
Quote from: EddieCabot on October 23, 2019, 08:13:11 AM

Don't tell anybody but it is with UIC.  :-X

Yes, I do believe they will lock up Credit Union One Arena (renamed from the UIC Pavilion) and only those associated with the teams can attend. No score will be announced but the coaches will know and let those in the media and close to the team know the score. I wouldn't be surprised if UIC plays a better game without all the Valpo fans there.

Donfan

Never seen a Valparaiso game but plan to see two in a couple days when they play slu and siue.  Came on here to see about Don Clay.  I have watched him the past two years and hope I am right.  I think you guys got a steal.  He was voted 1st team all STL by the post dispatch.  Beat out some major players.  Guys In area are going to Ohio star, slu, kstate, Mizzou, Kentucky, North Carolina, creighton.

Can't say he played out of position since he guarded the opponents best player no matter the size.  Held Liddell (top 45 and Ohio state recruit) to 9 and fouled him out.  Held Collinsville pg to 10 below his average and completely took him out of the game. 

Good player his junior year and really good to player his senior year.  Rarely saw him take a bad shot.  Doubt he can play pg, but he should play 2-4.  4 may be challenge at this level, but he can stretch the court with his 3 and also drive it.  On second thought look at above regarding Liddell. Very good handle for his size and good ft shooter. 

He likes to defend.  I know I am biased, but he improved so much between seasons despite growing 4-5 inches.   Good luck this season and hoping Don proves me right.

VUBBFan

Quote from: Donfan on October 29, 2019, 05:21:16 PMNever seen a Valparaiso game but plan to see two in a couple days when they play slu and siue.  Came on here to see about Don Clay.  I have watched him the past two years and hope I am right.  I think you guys got a steal.  He was voted 1st team all STL by the post dispatch.  Beat out some major players.  Guys In area are going to Ohio star, slu, kstate, Mizzou, Kentucky, North Carolina, creighton. Can't say he played out of position since he guarded the opponents best player no matter the size.  Held Liddell (top 45 and Ohio state recruit) to 9 and fouled him out.  Held Collinsville pg to 10 below his average and completely took him out of the game. Good player his junior year and really good to player his senior year.  Rarely saw him take a bad shot.  Doubt he can play pg, but he should play 2-4.  4 may be challenge at this level, but he can stretch the court with his 3 and also drive it.  On second thought look at above regarding Liddell. Very good handle for his size and good ft shooter. He likes to defend.  I know I am biased, but he improved so much between seasons despite growing 4-5 inches.   Good luck this season and hoping Don proves me right.
Hope you keep following the team. You can stream them on ESPN and some on cable TV.
Donovan, or I think you guys nick named him Choppo, seems to be the real thing. Have seen and spoken with him a few times and seems to be a really  good kid with a great attitude. Has a smile on his face and genuinely seems happy to be here playing ball. What I've seen of him. he's quick, handles the ball well and shoots pretty decently. Says he is just over 6'8" now. We expect a lot out of him and from all appearances don't think we will be disappointed.

Midwest is Best

A read from May 2019 about Donovan Clay - Stepped up to the challenge... https://advantagenews.com/sports/alton-bboys-basketball-player-of-the-year/

Advantagenews.com Alton, IL

Just Sayin

Quote"I don't think it would affect anything," Kiser said. "We're all friends. If somebody is getting more publicity and stuff, it's not that big of a deal.

Did he forget about human nature?

I think this is a bad idea. The NCAA's arguments for not doing this in the past apparently meant nothing.  I think the NCAA is caving to California rather than standing on principle.

But hey, like LeBron James, who is soooo concerned about his principles which makes him think that people are oppressed in this country and that he feels the need to express those feelings at every opportunity; but, where real oppression exists in communist China, when it comes to  MONEY,  he finds a way to ignore his deeply-held principles.

It's ALWAYS about money.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 01, 2019, 11:15:08 PM
It doesn't matter... Everyone knows that the world series is going to be decided between the Dodgers and whoever wins the ALCS (Houston or New York--probably Houston)

So glad Houston/New York/Los Angeles so easily won.  ;)

VUGrad1314

Yeah Didn't expect Hinch to blow that game so spectacularly. Nor did I expect the home teams to go winless in the series. Just a weird series all around. Also proves once and for all that Bryce Harper is a losing player who does not make his team better.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 01, 2019, 11:08:07 AM
Yeah Didn't expect Hinch to blow that game so spectacularly. Nor did I expect the home teams to go winless in the series. Just a weird series all around. Also proves once and for all that Bryce Harper is a losing player who does not make his team better.

Back to the thread boys...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUBBFan

VUGrad1314

Two words sum up my thoughts heading into the season: convince me. I've heard all of the optimism before and have been sorely disappointed; so, convince me. I'll still watch. I'll still follow. I'll still cheer support the team and go to games, but I need to be convinced by the play on the floor. We need to win--and not just a cutesy 8-0 start pounding on cupcakes and not just  a smoke and mirrors 5-1 mirage we need to put a whole season together for me to be sure we're in the right hands. This isn't me being anti-Lottich (I don't care who coaches the team as long as they win and keep the program clean) this is me being realistic and (a little) restless. I've never known anything but a successful Valpo program. I wasn't alive or old enough to follow sports for Valpo being terrible pre-Homer, so it is much harder for me to accept significant downturns in the program than it may be for some older fans who remember what that was like. My standard is different because I don't know any better. 

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 02, 2019, 01:03:32 PMWe need to win--and not just a cutesy 8-0 start pounding on cupcakes and not just  a smoke and mirrors 5-1 mirage we need to put a whole season together for me to be sure we're in the right hands.

Agree, but the "smoke and mirrors 5-1 mirage" was just as real as the 2-10 shamble that stumbled down the stretch with very little help from the injury corp of Golder and Fazekas. Injury free our mirage team might well have finished 11-7 and had fewer freshmen on the 19-20 roster.

FWalum

I could be mistaken but I'm surprised I haven't seen this on the form anywhere. Loyola started its season with a disappointing 65-60 exhibition loss to DII U of Indy at Gentile Arena last Tuesday. The article even mentioned that Valpo lost to them last year in an attempt to shrug off the disappointment. I know Loyola is predicted to be down a little bit this year, but most still have them in the top tier of MVC teams. I personally think losing all the experience at guard is going to affect them more than many of the pundits seem to believe.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show