• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Clash with Concordia - 11/6/18, 7pm, ESPN3

Started by crusadermoe, November 02, 2018, 08:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: 78crusader on November 06, 2018, 03:19:32 PM
Election night will take away much enthusiasm/interest from tonight's game.

Paul

No matter how the mid term races turn out, the sun will come up just fine tomorrow. Not the same can be said if our beloved Crusaders don't play well again tonight. The game is more important. Said as we're loading in the car, tickets in hand. Go Crusaders!

VU2014

Quote from: wh on November 06, 2018, 05:46:38 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on November 06, 2018, 03:19:32 PM
Election night will take away much enthusiasm/interest from tonight's game.

Paul

No matter how the mid term races turn out, the sun will come up just fine tomorrow. Not the same can be said if our beloved Crusaders don't play well again tonight. The game is more important. Said as we're loading in the car, tickets in hand. Go Crusaders!

Well said. Let's all agree that we don't need any political talk on the basketball forum tonight. Please and thank you. Go Valpo!

VU2014

It looks like Ryan is there nice and early getting shots in. Hopefully the nerves have cooled a little bit and he gets that feel for his shot back.

https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/1059954507491299329

FieldGoodie05

This happens from time to time, why is it only available on my iPhone and laptop?  When I log onto ESPN App on my Fire Stick TV it's not listed....

Anyone else with similar experience?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 06, 2018, 06:31:26 PM
This happens from time to time, why is it only available on my iPhone and laptop?  When I log onto ESPN App on my Fire Stick TV it's not listed....

Anyone else with similar experience?

Disregard, appeared miraculously with 10-minutes to go...

Chairback

No J in attendance tonight.  Something has to be up. 

VU2014

When we renovate the ARC maybe we should putting no seating in the student section so it forces them to stand...

covufan

It appears someone lit a fire under this team.

Sure hope this same team can show up in future games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

govalpogo

I know that the team could win by 100 tonight and many of y'all will still be upset, but I am enjoying my first glimpse of college basketball thus far.  Not a terrible crowd for a Tuesday non-DI.  You know, the endzone student sections at Cameron Indoor are just risers like choirs sing on.  Maybe not a bad idea!

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on November 06, 2018, 07:39:03 PM
When we renovate the ARC maybe we should putting no seating in the student section so it forces them to stand...

Isn't that what Duke does in Cameron?  Great distinctive approach to the student section.  In my posted renovation dreams I thought that all seats in the lower bowl would be chairbacks and the Valparaizone would be bench seats.  This is better.  Make them stand.  Create a tradition.  Force them to be involved.

VU2014

2nd chance points we're giving up in the 2nd half... A little cold shooting for us...

VULB#62

govalpogo

Well...enjoyed about 75% of the game.  I think JFL is my new favorite Valpo player, love just about everything I saw from him tonight.  Sackey is fun too, but I'm not sure I want him to be a linchpin of the offence...yet.  Mileek has to get things figured out in a hurry, real games are coming soon!

All in all, doesn't matter, but at least gets the nasty performance of Thursday a little further in the rear view mirror. Guys have at least seen the ball go through the hoop!

VULB#62

121-65 final.  Holy cow. I just wanted a 20+ point margin. Actually, up to about, what, 7 minutes into the second half Concordia wasn't too far (well, around -20) out of it and showed lots of grit.

justducky

I liked what I saw and am still optimistic that this will be a very good team going down the MVC stretch run. Lots of wrinkles still to be ironed out but these guys will get there.  :thumbsup:

Bring on the Hilltoppers!

VU2014

We beat a bad D2 team but it feels good right now. There is definitely a ton of room for improvement but everyone should enjoy this win tonight. There are a lot of positives to take away.

VUBBFan

Javon Freeman is the real deal. We are fortunate we got him. Will love seeing him play the next 4 years.

https://twitter.com/AlBillets/status/1060010098305708038

valpotx

I agree that something has to be up with Jay.  If someone is injured, they are always on the bench. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on November 06, 2018, 11:48:18 PM
We beat a bad D2 team but it feels good right now. There is definitely a ton of room for improvement but everyone should enjoy this win tonight. There are a lot of positives to take away.

Concordia-Chicago is NCAA Div III.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on November 07, 2018, 01:57:49 AM

Is there truly a difference in D2 vs D3 as far as abilities go?  Or is it just sports budget spend?

vu72

I thought the student showing was pretty solid for a Tuesday night and the opponent.  Overall a very solid performance and Derrik looked very good.  This is the team I was expecting to see. Agree that Maleek needs to figure some things out.  He looked lost.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IrishDawg

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 07, 2018, 05:47:16 AM
Quote from: bbtds on November 07, 2018, 01:57:49 AM

Is there truly a difference in D2 vs D3 as far as abilities go?  Or is it just sports budget spend?

Depends on the program, but generally speaking, D2 schools are significantly more talented than D3 as they can give out athletic scholarships.

Personally I don't think there's anything that can be taken from this game, because it's not just a D3 team, but an awful D3 team (they've had 2 winning seasons in the last 25 years), but good to get a win and have everyone healthy at the end of it.  Next Thursday's game will be far more revealing, and WKU just got stomped by 18 in Seattle last night, so we'll see what happens.

vuny98

Coming into the last two games, the talk was how much growth McMillian has had in the off season. In a game where he should have dominated easily, he struggles. Meanwhile, Smitts does what he is expected to do against lesser competition.

In the much too early prediction, McMillan at the 5 may be a failed experiment, he is a more natural 4 and exclusively playing the 5 may be detrimental to his development. But a lot of that will depend on what the deal with Sorolla is...

VULB#62

If memory serves, when Mileek signed with VU, wasn't the writeup on him something like ... At Merrillville, because of the personnel there, he was forced to play "out of position" at the 5, but was recruited to Valpo as a 4?  Yet, this season he's back at the 5 again?

On another topic, I wasn't aware until I read the game Recap that CUC was playing this only as an exhibtion.  We gotta stop scheduling like  that.