• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Some Faculty Members are trying to get rid of the Crusader & Change the Mascot..

Started by VU2014, March 28, 2017, 12:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of changing the Valparaiso University Mascot?

No
Yes
I have no opinion either way

FWalum

Perhaps this has been mentioned before on one of the threads involving the "Crusader" issue and I just missed it because of my recent neglect of this forum, but as a former member of the Alumni Board of Directors I JUST found out that two members of that board resigned over this issue. Everything that I had seen made it seem like there was little if any push back on the proposal to remove the Crusader by any organization including Alumni. Was this brought up at any time on this forum?

I also have a rather strange story/conspiracy theory to tell.  I have been trying to "catch up" on what has been happening on the forum during the last month or so as I recover from COVID-19 and the PE that it caused. I had not really paid too much attention to my emails during that time and decided after reading about the Crusader survey I would go back and find it in my emails to look and see how it was worded. I searched and was unable to find it and that seemed strange. It was then that I realized that I had stopped receiving emails from the "University" in February of 2020. I guess I didn't notice because I was still receiving some personal emails from people I know at Valpo. So I called the Alumni office to see why this had happened and why they would not have sent the survey to a former Director and someone who has hosted nearly every major Valpo event in Fort Wayne since the 1990's along with returning to attend and participate in numerous events at the University. I was told that I had requested not to receive emails from Valpo back in September of 2017, literally at the same exact time I was hosting President Heckler during his last major visit to Fort Wayne. I told them that I had never done such a thing and that I had continued to get emails up until last February. Later that day I got a phone call from Linda Roettger the VU head of Alumni and we had a good constructive conversation about what I consider to be a lack of conviction and commitment from the University. Happily I was put back on the email list so I won't get blindsided by such issues in the future.  :)

How or why I was taken off of the email list I guess I will never know, my wife suggests that it might have something to do with my Twitter interactions with Kaitlyn, my favorite Valpo SBP.  ::)
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Quote from: FWalum on March 30, 2021, 01:01:36 PM
Perhaps this has been mentioned before on one of the threads involving the "Crusader" issue and I just missed it because of my recent neglect of this forum, but as a former member of the Alumni Board of Directors I JUST found out that two members of that board resigned over this issue. Everything that I had seen made it seem like there was little if any push back on the proposal to remove the Crusader by any organization including Alumni. Was this brought up at any time on this forum?

I also have a rather strange story/conspiracy theory to tell.  I have been trying to "catch up" on what has been happening on the forum during the last month or so as I recover from COVID-19 and the PE that it caused. I had not really paid too much attention to my emails during that time and decided after reading about the Crusader survey I would go back and find it in my emails to look and see how it was worded. I searched and was unable to find it and that seemed strange. It was then that I realized that I had stopped receiving emails from the "University" in February of 2020. I guess I didn't notice because I was still receiving some personal emails from people I know at Valpo. So I called the Alumni office to see why this had happened and why they would not have sent the survey to a former Director and someone who has hosted nearly every major Valpo event in Fort Wayne since the 1990's along with returning to attend and participate in numerous events at the University. I was told that I had requested not to receive emails from Valpo back in September of 2017, literally at the same exact time I was hosting President Heckler during his last major visit to Fort Wayne. I told them that I had never done such a thing and that I had continued to get emails up until last February. Later that day I got a phone call from Linda Roettger the VU head of Alumni and we had a good constructive conversation about what I consider to be a lack of conviction and commitment from the University. Happily I was put back on the email list so I won't get blindsided by such issues in the future.  :)

How or why I was taken off of the email list I guess I will never know, my wife suggests that it might have something to do with my Twitter interactions with Kaitlyn, my favorite Valpo SBP.  ::)

Wow, the plot thickens, as I hadn't seen that 2 Board members resigned over this issue.  Yes, the topic of everyone not receiving the survey was brought up, as many of us former athletes did not receive it.  I get all other Valpo emails, but not that one?  I am also the chapter 'President' for DFW, so it makes no sense. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

Who elects the "Alumni Association Board of Directors?" It sounds like they are essentially neutered.

Hopefully there is a mechanism for the alumni to elect them but I have never seen it. I truly recall in the 1980s being given a ballot at Homecoming to annually elect some member of the "Alumni Association Board of Directors." Are they simply puppets of the staff now?

The recent "Valpo clubs" seem to have been arbitrary and in no way organic.  On my last few glances years ago it seemed like 1/3 to 1/2 were "vacant" in leadership. Our region had a "leader" who seemed the antithesis of one. 

valpo64

In response to fwalum's comment, perhaps that is one of the reasons that Valpo has very poorly recruited the Ft. Wayne market in recent years.  The FW and Northeastern Indiana market gets very little publicity of any kind, from academics to athletic endeavors.   Sounds like the "cancel culture" is taking hold...if you are not with me it is time for you to be deleted.

valpotx

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 31, 2021, 08:08:42 AM
Who elects the "Alumni Association Board of Directors?" It sounds like they are essentially neutered.

Hopefully there is a mechanism for the alumni to elect them but I have never seen it. I truly recall in the 1980s being given a ballot at Homecoming to annually elect some member of the "Alumni Association Board of Directors." Are they simply puppets of the staff now?

The recent "Valpo clubs" seem to have been arbitrary and in no way organic.  On my last few glances years ago it seemed like 1/3 to 1/2 were "vacant" in leadership. Our region had a "leader" who seemed the antithesis of one. 

I was volunteered by the previous DFW club head to take over, when he was getting on in age.  VU72 can attest to that, as he used to be part of the group lol.  I was 'vetted' by some of the Alumni Relations office, but it wasn't a deep-dive.
"Don't mess with Texas"

mj

Quote from: FWalum on March 30, 2021, 01:01:36 PMIt was then that I realized that I had stopped receiving emails from the "University" in February of 2020. I guess I didn't notice because I was still receiving some personal emails from people I know at Valpo. So I called the Alumni office to see why this had happened and why they would not have sent the survey to a former Director and someone who has hosted nearly every major Valpo event in Fort Wayne since the 1990's along with returning to attend and participate in numerous events at the University. I was told that I had requested not to receive emails from Valpo back in September of 2017, literally at the same exact time I was hosting President Heckler during his last major visit to Fort Wayne. I told them that I had never done such a thing and that I had continued to get emails up until last February. Later that day I got a phone call from Linda Roettger the VU head of Alumni and we had a good constructive conversation about what I consider to be a lack of conviction and commitment from the University. Happily I was put back on the email list so I won't get blindsided by such issues in the future. 

For whatever reason, it feels like alumni relations has been placed on the back burner at Valpo the past few years. I'm hoping that President Padilla starts to turn things around on that front.
I believe that we will win.

soapyjeans

Since I've never heard of any hate group using the term "crusader" it would tremendously help if the faculty who want the change actually named the hate groups they're referring to. 

M

valpopal

It appears the official finalists list is the following: The Valpo Storm, The Valpo Beacons, The Valpo Gold, The Valpo Sparks, The Valpo Lightning, The Valpo Tempest, The Valpo Dunehawks, The Valpo Lightning Hawks. Personally, I find none of these inspiring.  :(

crusadermoe

Golden Knights would have been an easy one.

The Tempest (Shakespeare play) must have been nominated by the English Literature professor.    ??? ??? :o

vu84v2

I can't say that I like any of those names. If I was forced to choose from that list, the only ones that seem worthy of consideration are Gold, Sparks and (I guess) Dunehawks.

What is it with seeming to emphasize the meteorology program? Three of these names are associated with meteorology (Storm, Tempest, Lightning). The meteorology program is quite good, but it provides a very small percentage of graduates for the university. As an alum from a much larger college, I would never advocate for a name associated with my college.

Agree that Golden Knights would have been an easy (and logical) choice.

Just Sayin

The ramifications from making a politically-correct decision are often exasperating.

valpopal

Quote from: Just Sayin on June 10, 2021, 11:40:42 AM
The ramifications from making a politically-correct decision are often exasperating.

When you have a committee whose priority is a selection that does not cause any direct or indirect offense to anyone's feelings, you only get a choice so bland as to lack energizing everyone's emotions. Additionally, none of these names are conducive to a physical mascot at games other than Dunehawks, which probably would look pretty pathetic.

valpotx

Those are all terrible names.  I agree that highlighting the Meteorology program makes no sense.  You are going to cater to a very small segment of the student population?
"Don't mess with Texas"

elephtheria47

Whats the exact goal? Build brand identity? Create student excitement? Create a sense of connectivity with the surrounding area? No real plan except to get rid of the crusader? Toss spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks?

mj

When the best choice is reminiscent of a minor league baseball team, it's probably best to go with none of the above.

Gotta love the fact that the people who created this mess (the SBP and interim President) aren't even at the University anymore.
I believe that we will win.

soapyjeans

Not sure that committee took the mascot/schools image seriously.  Golden Knights should be obvious choice or Paladins.  And I don't see what a "dunehawk" has to do with lutheran religion...   What a mess.

crusadermoe

EVen a large secular public university (Univeristy of Central Florida) is willing to call themselves the Golden Knights! 

There is no mention of it, but perhaps they recently started to be intimidated by some band of academic PC loons. So far Golden Knights has survived there.

vu72

Quote from: vu84v2 on June 10, 2021, 11:28:43 AM
I can't say that I like any of those names. If I was forced to choose from that list, the only ones that seem worthy of consideration are Gold, Sparks and (I guess) Dunehawks.

What is it with seeming to emphasize the meteorology program? Three of these names are associated with meteorology (Storm, Tempest, Lightning). The meteorology program is quite good, but it provides a very small percentage of graduates for the university. As an alum from a much larger college, I would never advocate for a name associated with my college.

Agree that Golden Knights would have been an easy (and logical) choice.

I doubt these names had anything to do with Meteorology per se, but rather, perhaps with the actual weather in Valpo?   :rotfl:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Golden Knights? Talk about bland and uninspired.  Most of the names on the list are at least unique and either represent the university or geography. I'm not a fan of a lot of the names, but at least they're more inspiring than something generic like "Knights"

I think Beacon will end up being chosen, with Dunehawks a possibility.

vu84v2

Quote from: crusadermoe on June 11, 2021, 03:11:02 PM

EVen a large secular public university (Univeristy of Central Florida) is willing to call themselves the Golden Knights! 

There is no mention of it, but perhaps they recently started to be intimidated by some band of academic PC loons. So far Golden Knights has survived there.

Central Florida's nickname is the Knights, not the Golden Knights. But I agree that I do not see how this name could be problematic except for possible (and unlikely) copyright issues with the Vegas hockey team. But if that were a concern, Lightning would not make the list.

Beacons is awful.

soapyjeans

In typical political fashion those who made up the list to vote on, insured the results they wanted by loading the poll with lame choices.  Valpo should throw that poll out and let the students choose their mascot or at least the surrounding community.  Keep in mind, the mascot shows the schools athletic teams "spirit of competition".  Which spark, gold and beacon don't do.  From the looks of it the poll is heavily slanted towards dunehawks (only one that reflects fierceness).  I just don't see any other of those choices lasting or working out. 

bbtds

Quote from: soapyjeans on June 13, 2021, 05:05:04 PM
In typical political fashion those who made up the list to vote on, insured the results they wanted by loading the poll with lame choices.  Valpo should throw that poll out and let the students choose their mascot or at least the surrounding community.  Keep in mind, the mascot shows the schools athletic teams "spirit of competition".  Which spark, gold and beacon don't do.  From the looks of it the poll is heavily slanted towards dunehawks (only one that reflects fierceness).  I just don't see any other of those choices lasting or working out. 

Dunehawks would work for me but don't be too surprised if a very new VU president chooses a different answer.

vu84v2

I was just looking at an alumni email and had a thought about a nickname that could have been chosen that seems to have had no consideration.

Torchbearers

It has some athletic meaning (Olympics). It offers some meaning towards being a leader. It is unique. I cannot see how it would be offensive to anyone. The only drawback would be that it is a bit of a 'letter salad', but it would mean a heckuva lot more meaningful to say "come to Valpo to be a Torchbearer" than it would to say "come to Valpo to be a Dunehawk".

valpopal

I could have gotten behind the name "Family" as on Sheldon's shirt. Think of all the possibilities: Video montage with "We Are Family" by Sister Sledge at women's games; a personalized rendition of "The Adams Family" theme song but replace "Valpo" for "Adams" and individualize the lyrics for Valparaiso University in intros at men's games; The Godfather would be a goldmine for quotes and memes, etc.: "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man." or "You can do anything, but never go against the family."
[tweet]1412524615973453832[/tweet]