• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #4 Valpo vs Univ of North Dakota Fighting Hawks Sun 11/17 1:30pm ARC ESPN3

Started by talksalot, November 12, 2019, 09:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on November 21, 2019, 03:34:31 AM
For those that have criticized Kiser over the years, I stand by my points early on, that he is a 'glue guy,' and he is now actually producing above what we would really need from him on the stat sheet.

Who have been our "glue" guys since the Bryce Drew days?  Would that role be defined as utility guy or can they be a stats stuffer?

A few examples...
Tonagel
Joaquim Gomes (Kikas)
Jake Diebler
Erik Buggs
Matt Kenney
Bobby Capobianco

In my view, that role is one where you take his minutes away and the team has identity problems.  I don't think most listed were "stars" for their respective teams though.

valpotx

I view a 'glue guy' as someone that can help settle folks down, not turn the ball over, and contribute in ways outside of the stat sheet.  They don't put up large numbers, but they are key to keeping everyone together, and not losing focus when things go terribly wrong.  Matt Kenney is a great example of what I would consider this type.
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: valpotx on November 21, 2019, 03:34:31 AMFor those that have criticized Kiser over the years, I stand by my points early on, that he is a 'glue guy,' and he is now actually producing above what we would really need from him on the stat sheet.
I think this is a case in which both those who criticized the player in the past and now believe him to be a "glue" guy can be correct and even the same poster.

nkvu

I love Kiser's story. Plucky walk on who earns a scholarship and becomes a contributor. At the same time I looked at him as a measure of the team's talent, thinking that if he's getting a lot of playing time, then the team lacks talent. Someone whose presence on the court meant that on offense we were playing four on five because he had no offensive game at all. This year on the other hand he has shown that he can hit an open three, and he is willing to take and make shots. So, a glue guy who isn't a complete liability on offense is a big plus for this team.

bbtds

Quote from: nkvu on November 22, 2019, 12:01:54 AM
I love Kiser's story. Plucky walk on who earns a scholarship and becomes a contributor. At the same time I looked at him as a measure of the team's talent, thinking that if he's getting a lot of playing time, then the team lacks talent. Someone whose presence on the court meant that on offense we were playing four on five because he had no offensive game at all. This year on the other hand he has shown that he can hit an open three, and he is willing to take and make shots. So, a glue guy who isn't a complete liability on offense is a big plus for this team.

I think some kind of look into the plus/minus stats (I've no idea how to do them except it has to do with how many points are scored against and for when a certain player is on the floor) which I think would reveal a lot about the play of John Kiser.