• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #4 Valpo vs Univ of North Dakota Fighting Hawks Sun 11/17 1:30pm ARC ESPN3

Started by talksalot, November 12, 2019, 09:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

OK, I started the SIUE thread....and Valpo won it 89-76.  Clobbering the Spread and the OU.

UND will be hard to scout.  Blew out a DII and got schooled by Gonzaga in their two games. 

Coming off that "WOWSER" game against SIUE, JFL with 30 and 13, Robinson with 19 and 8, Kiser 8 and 7 and generally in the way of the Cougars...

Sunday afternoon game on FREE TV ESPN3.  Bring out the CROWD!

1   Stewart, Marlon   G   Sr.   6-3   209   Rock Island, Ill. / North Scott   
2   Ramsey Jr., Carlos   G   Fr.   6-5   180   Milwaukee, Wis. / Arizona Compass Prep   
3   Brown, Billy   G   Sr.   6-3   195   Spirit Lake, Iowa / Spirit Lake   
4   Atelbauers, Davids   G   So.   6-1   177   Ogre, Latvia /   BK Ogre
5   Saddler, Zac   F   Jr.   6-7   207   New Braunfels, Texas / New Braunfels   Western Texas College
10   Moody, Aanen   G   So.   6-3   175   Dickinson, N.D. / Dickinson   
11   Panoam, Bentiu   G   Jr.   6-2   160   Anchorage, Alaska / Bartlett   Northwest Kansas Technical College
12   Rebraca, Filip   F   So.   6-9   220   Sombor, Serbia / Williston Northampton   
13   Coudreau, Marko   F   So.   6-9   230   Marseille, France / Lycee Marcelin Berthelot   INSEP
15   Danielson, Brady   F   Fr.   6-4   197   York, Neb. / York   
21   Igbanugo, Ethan   G   So.   6-2   187   Lakeville, Minn. / Lakeville North   
23   Walter, Kienan   F   Sr.   6-9   205   Vancouver, Wash. / King's Way Christian   
24   Hazekamp, Elijah   F   So.   6-6   206   Sioux City, Iowa / Bishop Heelan Catholic   
32   Urbonavicius, Gertautas   F   Fr.   6-7   227   Vilnius, Lithuania / Cardinal Gibbons   
34   Allen-Eikens, De'Sean   G   R-Fr.   6-6   212   Williston, N.D. / Aspire Academy   

talksalot

about 10 minutes to play in the North Dakota game with Gonzaga... take a gander at their box
North Dakota
PTS   REB   AST   FG   3PT   FT   PF   MIN   STL   BLK   TO
M. Stewart
18   3   4   5/11   3/4   5/6   0   24   1   0   0
F. Rebraca
10   10   0   5/8   0/1   0/0   2   23   0   0   0
D. Allen-Eikens
6   2   0   3/9   0/1   0/0   1   23   0   0   0
K. Walter
3   1   0   1/7   1/5   0/0   2   16   0   0   0
B. Brown
0   0   1   0/4   0/2   0/0   1   15   1   0   0

BENCH

PTS   REB   AST   FG   3PT   FT   PF   MIN   STL   BLK   TO
A. Moody
6   1   1   2/5   2/4   0/0   0   12   0   0   0
B. Danielson
3   1   1   1/4   1/4   0/0   0   12   2   0   0
M. Coudreau
0   0   0   0/2   0/1   0/0   0   5   0   0   1
B. Panoam
0   0   0   0/0   0/0   0/0   0   3   0   0   0
G. Urbonavicius
0   0   0   0/0   0/0   0/0   1   1   0   0   0

30 minutes of basketball... 1 turnover against Gonzaga, 7 total fouls.

hailcrusaders

UND returns 6 of 8 rotation players from a team that went 12-18 (6-10 Summit, 7th) last year. The two graduating seniors were first and third on the team in scoring. First year coach Paul Sather takes over for Brian Jones, who left to take an assistant coaching job at Illinois State for reasons unbeknownst to me. But basketball plays third fiddle at UND behind hockey and football, so that may have had something to do with it. For what it's worth, Sather managed to keep all of the rotation players in Grand Forks, which is an accomplishment in today's era of transfers. 

Perimeter D will be important. Moody, Stewart, and Brown can all get hot from deep. Allen-Eikens is a freshman who had 22 in their win over D3 Crown College, and shows potential. Lots of excitement around him. Like Valpo, UND's frontcourt is a little thinner, especially on defense. Rebraca is a 6-9 Serbian postman. Walter is a stretch-4 who can shoot the three and is a bit of a matchup problem. But again, interior defense and rebounding are weak points for UND.

These are two remarkably similar teams. At the beginning of the season, I saw this game as a tossup, but I like our chances after seeing what Valpo is capable of. Then again, doesn't look like we'll have Fazekas.

UND board: https://forum.siouxsports.com/forum/16-men39s-basketball/

Expect another fast paced run-and-gun game. If we can keep TOs low and their three point shooting in check, we'll be in good shape.

Valpo 82 North Dakota 74
#CrusadersForever

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

vu72

What seems to be the issue with telling us what is up with Ryan?  Did he break his wrist?  Did he sprain his wrist?  He he coming along nicely?  Geez.  This is really weird.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on November 13, 2019, 08:08:31 AM
What seems to be the issue with telling us what is up with Ryan?  Did he break his wrist?  Did he sprain his wrist?  He he coming along nicely?  Geez.  This is really weird.

I think I am spoiled by the professional sports leagues and their general "open" reporting policy on injuries.  The HIPAA thing is real and I suspect more relevant today than when I played college sports.  Maybe with the proliferation of betting on college sports (legally) this will drive more athletic departments to work out contracts with their athletes for reporting purposes (doubtful at our level).

Although part of me suspects that maybe Lottich is not a fan of "over" information in the medical realm, so he falls back on HIPAA as a reason why he's tight lipped.  All conjecture, but fun to float ideas anyways.

PAUL THIS COULD BE A GREAT QUESTION FOR GORE if he comes on the Podcast again.  Has anything changed (during his tenure) in reporting of injuries that makes it more difficult to speak openly as a coach?  Just a thought.

SanityLost17

He clearly broke a bone in his wrist or hand.  So you are looking at 6-10 weeks depending on what bone it is and what kind of blood flow it receives.  They don't have to actually say it to know what happened.  There are enough context clues we can end the speculation.  Let's not talk about this every week for the next 2 months!   The team we have without him is the team we are going to have for the majority of the season.   We need to recalculate what a successful season looks like without him and move on.

10 weeks = returns a couple weeks into the conference slate...

wh

I have always wondered the same thing.  Maybe this provides the answer:

NCAA injury debate pits player privacy vs. gambling concerns
By TERRIN WAACK
August 10, 2018

Privacy laws such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protect players against the release of personal information without the consent of players or their parents if the player is under 18. HIPAA protects medical records. FERPA protects educational records, along with medical records if treatment is given on behalf of a university.

At least some players and coaches want that privacy to stay in place.

"I coached in the NFL for nine years and there is a stark difference between working with professionals and working with college kids," Stanford coach David Shaw said. "I do not feel right giving out medical information of a 19-year-old. I think it's wrong in any way, shape or form."

https://apnews.com/c6651f1a7dab43ccb07f7724d2be209f

vu72

Quote from: wh on November 13, 2019, 09:07:29 AM

I have always wondered the same thing.  Maybe this provides the answer:

NCAA injury debate pits player privacy vs. gambling concerns
By TERRIN WAACK
August 10, 2018

Privacy laws such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protect players against the release of personal information without the consent of players or their parents if the player is under 18. HIPAA protects medical records. FERPA protects educational records, along with medical records if treatment is given on behalf of a university.

At least some players and coaches want that privacy to stay in place.

"I coached in the NFL for nine years and there is a stark difference between working with professionals and working with college kids," Stanford coach David Shaw said. "I do not feel right giving out medical information of a 19-year-old. I think it's wrong in any way, shape or form."

https://apnews.com/c6651f1a7dab43ccb07f7724d2be209f

Ryan is at least 21.  Why can't he just tell Paul or anybody what is up.  Can anybody spot him with a cast on?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VALPO LI

Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 13, 2019, 08:36:37 AM
He clearly broke a bone in his wrist or hand.  So you are looking at 6-10 weeks depending on what bone it is and what kind of blood flow it receives.  They don't have to actually say it to know what happened.  There are enough context clues we can end the speculation.  Let's not talk about this every week for the next 2 months!   The team we have without him is the team we are going to have for the majority of the season.   We need to recalculate what a successful season looks like without him and move on.

10 weeks = returns a couple weeks into the conference slate...
This injury (what ever it may consist of) to Ryan is awful.  I feel for the young man, I really do. I have to agree with what SaintyLost17 is saying.
The team must find another ways to stay strong and together as one unit.  We played well in St. Louis and pulled through to win in the second half last night.  We can not have a collapse like we did last year when Ryan went out.  From what I have seen I feel our talent is stronger and attitude is better this time around.
Shine on Vu

VU2014

$36 for North Dakota...? Really...?

I think this is. "Buy game" and they are try to recoupe that $ but this seems a bit high... for North Dakota of all teams.

https://twitter.com/brickies1988/status/1195038436127850497?s=21

VUBBFan

I think if you look close. The query is for 2 tickets. Then they are charging a service fee and postage.

NativeCheesehead

It is $37 each but those are the prices on Vivid Seats, a secondhand site. No idea who's selling them but there's still plenty at $12 on the Vu site.

elephtheria47

This is actually an interesting/fascinating area . . . The younger generation is so used to buying tickets through secondhand sites, and receiving them digitally instantaneously, that it's where they go to buy all of their tickets. Crazy, but they haven't experienced standing in line for tickets , or order them straight from a venue. I'm sure there are not many tickets on secondhand sites, causing the increased  price.

VUBBFan

Quote from: elephtheria47 on November 14, 2019, 05:36:04 PMThis is actually an interesting/fascinating area . . . The younger generation is so used to buying tickets through secondhand sites, and receiving them digitally instantaneously, that it's where they go to buy all of their tickets. Crazy, but they haven't experienced standing in line for tickets , or order them straight from a venue. I'm sure there are not many tickets on secondhand sites, causing the increased  price.

Crazy prices, buyer be ware. Wish I could tell the person looking for the tickets to go to the Valpo site. Tons of good seats behind the visitors bench starting at row 4 for $12. Still also alot of $27 chairbacks available 

covufan

We need a good defensive game.

Valpo    83
N Dak    70

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crusaderjoe

Am I reading this right?  $27.00 for a chairback seat against North Dakota?  Huh?  $27.00?

For $35.00 (plus fees), I could see the Florida Panthers play against the Rangers tomorrow at a much better venue, with a much better game experience, and with much better concessions available to me.

Wow.

NativeCheesehead

Yeah the static prices don't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. $27 for any chair back not in the first couple rows, and $12 pretty much anywhere else. I know they experimented with dynamic pricing a couple of years ago and they have the 3 and 4 game packs, but I would like to see some outside the box thinking here.

oklahomamick

Is this one of our buy games?  If we paid UND to come play us, we better win.
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 15, 2019, 07:56:27 PM
Is this one of our buy games?  If we paid UND to come play us, we better win.

Same thing I'm sure the George Washington fans said about their game with American.

VULB#62

OMG, after what happened today at Butler in their bowl, our BB team has to rescue our respect. Recipe: Lead from start to finish. Walk off with a > 12 point win.

GO VALPO!

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 16, 2019, 09:19:31 PM
OMG, after what happened today at Butler in their bowl, our BB team has to rescue our respect. Recipe: Lead from start to finish. Walk off with a > 12 point win.

Now you know you jinxed it. We'll win but we'll get down by 11 or 12 before pulling it out in the 2nd half because Freeman will say "Hell no, bro, we ain't losing to a team from Dakota!"