• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Update: Ryan Broekhoff has agreed to a two-year deal with the Dallas Mavericks!!

Started by VU2014, June 12, 2018, 10:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Rowdy in latest interview: "Valpo was an amazing place for me to grow not only as a basketball player, but as a man. It allowed me time to develop and improve for all four years. It helped shape me into who I am today and I am forever grateful for the opportunity." https://apple.news/A1VInrQB6TPSpM3sumr_eXQ

vufan75

As Valpo fans have all known for awhile, Rowdy certainly is a class act!!! I am so happy for him and his family for his hard work leading to this NBA opportunity, and proud of Rowdy for the way he represents himself as well as Valpo! What a great spokesman he makes for Valpo!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

valpotx

I hate to compare the two in this manner, but Rowdy always seems to be much more appreciative of his time at Valpo, versus how Alec appears.  As soon as he graduated, Alec was instantly making comments around, 'I wish those guys luck,' and almost distancing himself from Valpo, whereas Rowdy always makes comments about his experience at the school.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on July 09, 2018, 10:29:11 PM
I hate to compare the two in this manner, but Rowdy always seems to be much more appreciative of his time at Valpo, versus how Alec appears.  As soon as he graduated, Alec was instantly making comments around, 'I wish those guys luck,' and almost distancing himself from Valpo, whereas Rowdy always makes comments about his experience at the school.

I think there just has been more time for Rowdy be reflective then there has been for Alec. Ryan is further along in his career. AP was immediately thrown into a career altering rehab for his stress fracture during his senior year and then prepping for the NBA. Life has probably been moving 100mph to him so he doesn't have time to be reflective. I'm sure he probably has some fond memories of his time at Valpo.

VUGrad1314

Peters' decision not to follow Bryce to Vanderbilt  should tell you all you need to know about what he thinks of Valpo and the time he spent here.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on July 10, 2018, 08:52:41 AM
Quote from: valpotx on July 09, 2018, 10:29:11 PM

I think there just has been more time for Rowdy be reflective then there has been for Alec. Ryan is further along in his career. AP was immediately thrown into a career altering rehab for his stress fracture during his senior year and then prepping for the NBA. Life has probably been moving 100mph to him so he doesn't have time to be reflective. I'm sure he probably has some fond memories of his time at Valpo.

I'd agree AP's world is going 100 mph right now, I wouldn't read into his verbiage as a slight.  He is an outstanding young man and he currently has no thoughts for yesterday since he is fighting every day to keep relevant in the NBA.

Not sure this comparison quite fits, but think back to how we all thought of our high school after we went off to the bigger world of college.  Our old high school world wasn't quite as cool (for several years).  AP is now in the bigger world of the NBA so it's doubtful he has had time to reflect.  In my first 5-years out of college I had very little thought to VU.  It wasn't until I found myself established in career and community that I brought my attention back to Valpo (sports and other).  I think AP is in the early stages of that adjustment combined with the fact that he is living in a dream this last year.

Ryan has had 5-years to reflect on the great days at VU and his path to the NBA has been 5-years less direct than AP.  Maybe in the long haul Broekhoff will have a better appreciation for his years at Valpo.

ValpoDad89

I think what 2014, 1314 and Fieldgoodie05 said are spot on with Alec. Him staying with his team says all we need to know where Valpo sits in his heart and the fact that they gave him a chance. I encountered him a few times after games and once on campus and he was truly a humble, respectful kid. I will forever be one of his biggest fans. Keep in mind he's a little younger than Ryan and like as has been said, hasn't had the time to truly reflect like Ryan had.

What I think the focus should be on is that in within the last 5years Valpo has generated 2 NBA players. That's a recruiting tool that is severely underrated as most kids have the novel notion that they are going to play in the NBA someday. I know this staff and their integrity will not sell a kid on that but will,promise them development. Outside of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA and a few other P6 schools how many others schools can say that with respect to NBA players on their roster. While unfortunate, it's what kids want to hear. And Valpo has 2 to their credit. Heck, there are some P5 schools that don't have a single "player" on an NBA roster. And the fact remains, the schools I mentioned earlier have nothing but one and dones in those ranks. Valpo isn't getting one and dones but getting kids that they have a track record of developing and offering them a possible opportunity at greener pastures carries weight. See Javon Freeman Liberty. I believe more of him are coming in the future years. Valpo is a true sleeping giant. Now if we could do something about the facilities....

valpotx

What he meant to say:

Q:  What do you know about Texas?

A:  GREATEST STATE IN THE USA, HANDS-DOWN ;).

I look forward to coming to a few games/hopefully meet him some day, and I know that our fans will love the pure grit that he plays with.  Nothing will win over a Texan more than desire and heart to pull through in any situation, and Rowdy oozes that on an every day basis. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

Kind of funny, and ironic, how Rowdy is in the NBA in 2018 and Ray Jr is not. 

TX, go ahead and say it.....

valpotx

If he gets Max Kleber minutes, he will have a shot to do more.  Max played in many games at the start of the season, but not many minutes.  He earned more minutes as the season went along, and averaged 16.8 mpg.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Welcome back to the States and to the NBA! Happy Birthday and best of luck Rowdy! Glad to see him working hard already. I have a feeling he's going to do well.

https://twitter.com/RBroekhoff45/status/1032686015629152258

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1032658309940174850

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 04, 2018, 10:05:43 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 04, 2018, 05:45:34 AM
A fantastic article on Rowdy's journey to the NBA.

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/ryan-broekhoff-different-way-to-nba/#47MfdkzBzudflhbi.97

Outstanding article, thanks VUGrad1314 . . . nice find!

True credit goes to VU2014. I saw it in his retweets and he deserves a hat tip. I just brought it to the board. (sorry for not crediting him in the original post.)

valpopal

Broekhoff scores 6 points on 2-4 from 3-point range and gets 3 rebounds plus 2 assists and 0 turnovers in 18 minutes of play during his first exhibition game with the Mavs.

[tweet]1046208066180567041[/tweet]

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on September 29, 2018, 10:02:00 PM
Broekhoff scores 6 points on 2-4 from 3-point range and gets 3 rebounds plus 2 assists and 0 turnovers in 18 minutes of play during his first exhibition game with the Mavs.

[tweet]1046208066180567041[/tweet]

If he can consistently do that, he'll have a nice career in the NBA.

valpotx

Watched the whole game, and was impressed with how easily Rowdy fits into the NBA on both offense and defense.  He definitely belongs, and is not a liability on D, so he should have a nice NBA career.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

...and help Valpo recruiting in the process. Two former Crusaders in the NBA in the past year. One drafted, one undrafted. How many mids can say that?  In fact, how many Majors can say that?

VUSWIM08-12

VUGrad1314

I really hope that Broekhoff becomes the next Joe Ingles or better. Now THAT would help recruiting.

swiftmutiny

The box score wasn't flashy, but Rowdy played for 16 minutes this morning in a pre-season game against Philadelphia.

Box Score:
https://twitter.com/brianseltzer/status/1048216391969460224

After reading some Dallas fans' opinions on the game, everyone seemed impressed by his stroke and were surprised at how scrappy a rebounder he his. Hopefully the beginning of much more to come this season!

vu84v2

Nine points in 15 minutes this morning. We all know the effort will always be there with Ryan, but whether he makes it or not is going to come down to hitting threes. 5-10 so far in three exhibition games - so he has probably only helped himself with his shooting.

valpotx

He's already cemented himself a rotation role.  It is just a matter of whether he is in the top 10, or the top 13-14 to see playing time.
"Don't mess with Texas"