• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Loyola Game Thread, Sun., Feb. 9, 2020, 3:00p CT, ESPNU

Started by wh, February 08, 2020, 12:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

NBA, and some college teams, run analytics that rate the quality of a shot attempt by where it is, who's taking it, distance from nearest defender, how deep in the shot clock, etc.  Would LOVE to see those stats on this team.

valpolaw

Where is Gordon?

Maybe he doesn't fit into Lottich's sophisticated and tremendously successful motion offense but I'm wondering why he has barely touched the court.

#trusttheprocess

oklahomamick

Loyola was a bottom feeder for a very very long time in the HL. 
CRUSADERS!!!

M

Maybe those no calls did make a difference.

Nice comeback - so close to turning that corner.

nkvu

Someone want to explain how that wasn't a foul at the end there.

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

NativeCheesehead

Lottich should run these officials off the floor. They're going to keep screwing us until he stands up for himself and his players.

valpopal

The replay shows there was no doubt that Javon was fouled on that final play! I have said it before, Lottich's lack of fire toward the officials has created a situation where there is little respect; therefore, other coaches and teams get the crucial calls. Throughout the game, Valpo's players were fouled a number of times and there were no calls. Javon was clearly pissed. Lottich needs to show he has his players backs with the officials, but he never does.

PlumStreetBum

Brutal non-call at the end there.

But, we were thoroughly outplayed, and Loyola let us stay in it with their poor foul shooting.

Very disappointed in this team's body language and attitude around fouls (or lack thereof) this afternoon. That's a reflection on Lottich's lack of fire.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

M

Those no calls were as bad as wh's takes on McMillian's play.

VUGrad1314

Here's an idea How about we stop sucking and falling into double digit holes all the time so that maybe we can build a lead comfortable enough that a non call at the end doesn't matter? It's amazing to me how we can play like crap for 15 minutes in the second half and then one furious rally makes you all forget that fact and focus on the officials or whatever the issue down the stretch was. Play a full 40 minutes and we'll win our fair share of games. But we can't ever do that.

VUGrad1314

Valpo should be forced to read this poem and commit it to memory Because this sums up the ENTIRE LOTTICH ERA

http://www.basketballsbest.com/onlyonepossession.htm

truth219

I'm not encouraged by this performance because of how we got back in the game. McMillan and Kiser hit a slew of threes..not really their thing, and Loyola missed a lot of free throws. Our defense was good. This game shouldn't have been as close as it was. It was a lot more fun being a fan when we were good. The current state of our basketball program is crap. If Lottich stays....we will have player turnover...just  a prediction.

nkvu

Played a decent first half. Dug ourselves a hole in the second. Battled back to make it close. Couldn't pull it out at the end.

Sound familiar?

Frankly, being the best "close losers" in the conference is getting a little old.

VUGrad1314

I said before this stretch began that the WLWLWLWL pattern in conference was going to get broken and not in the way we would like... I hate being right... And now we get to play the hottest team in the conference followed by a team that is really good at home... It's impossible to predict when our next win will come. Hopefully it's SIU but I'm not holding my breath... Maybe we'll complete the sweep of Illinois State (I hope we do)...

oklahomamick

To me nothing is any different.  Same story only this time we were a little closer....and it's Loyola.....and there was a foul at the end that should have been called.

But really it's the same story, get out played come back but not enough.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Remember when northern Kentucky jumped from the A-sun to the horizon. And they hired a new coach.  Was it the 3rd years they won the HL?
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

Watch the video of the final play posted by Paul on Twitter. Pause it at the 8-second mark and the hard shoulder contact against Javon is clear. Then watch Lottich's reaction in the background. He will raise his hands as if in the national sign of surrender, as he did elsewhere in the game and always does, and as usual that's about it. Contrast that with the more aggressive actions of Moser or some other conference coaches. No wonder the officials show Lottich no respect.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpopal on February 09, 2020, 05:29:48 PM
Watch the video of the final play posted by Paul on Twitter. Pause it at the 8-second mark and the hard shoulder contact against Javon is clear. Then watch Lottich's reaction in the background. He will raise his hands as if in the national sign of surrender, as he did elsewhere in the game and always does, and as usual that's about it. Contrast that with the more aggressive actions of Moser or some other conference coaches. No wonder the officials show Lottich no respect.

I'm sorry but this is the least of our issues... Getting a couple more calls here and there won't make any difference if we have stretches throughout the game where we don't play any defense or we can't make shots to save our lives... Dan Muller is a super demonstrative coach and so is Greg Lansing and their teams perennially underachieve.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 09, 2020, 05:26:52 PMRemember when northern Kentucky jumped from the A-sun to the horizon. And they hired a new coach.  Was it the 3rd years they won the HL?

What do you bet if NKU or Wright State were called up to the MVC they'd start whipping Matt's butt on a consistent basis in a year or two as well? I certainly wouldn't put it past them...

valpopal

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 09, 2020, 05:32:37 PM
Quote from: valpopal on February 09, 2020, 05:29:48 PM

I'm sorry but this is the least of our issues... Getting a couple more calls here and there won't make any difference if we have stretches throughout the game where we don't play any defense or we can't make shots to save our lives... Dan Muller is a super demonstrative coach and so is Greg Lansing and their teams perennially underachieve.

You might think this is the least of our issues, but it is an issue that has cost us a couple conference games, which would make the difference between being in the bottom half of the standings or the top half with an avoidance of a Thursday game in the tournament. I agree with you on the other issues, but looking at one problem does not preclude others from being present as well.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpopal on February 09, 2020, 05:46:19 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 09, 2020, 05:32:37 PM
Quote from: valpopal on February 09, 2020, 05:29:48 PMWatch the video of the final play posted by Paul on Twitter. Pause it at the 8-second mark and the hard shoulder contact against Javon is clear. Then watch Lottich's reaction in the background. He will raise his hands as if in the national sign of surrender, as he did elsewhere in the game and always does, and as usual that's about it. Contrast that with the more aggressive actions of Moser or some other conference coaches. No wonder the officials show Lottich no respect.
You might think this is the least of our issues, but it is an issue that has cost us a couple conference games, which would make the difference between being in the bottom half of the standings or the top half with an avoidance of a Thursday game in the tournament. I agree with you on the other issues, but looking at one problem does not preclude others from being present as well.

True but fixing the execution issue will make the officiating issue a heck of a lot less relevant and also give him more of a leg to stand on with officials if he did choose to get demonstrative. I seriously bet that the officials would laugh right in Lottich's face if he tried to get on them because of how poorly the team plays for significant stretches in almost every game. I would if I were an official. I'd be like "Seriously? You're getting on me for doing a bad job? Your team has never been ready to play a full 40 minutes in any game I've ever done. Maybe you should fix that first before worrying about how I'm doing my job. Notice the plank in your own eye first before worrying about the speck in mine."

valpotx

Complete horseshit no call on that last possession, not even letting us have an opportunity to tie/win.  I was hosting the Valpo Club of DFW watch party at BWWs, and we couldn't hear, but were the ESPNU announcers agreeing that it should have been called?  It took them long enough to run the replay, but it looked like a clear foul.  Complete BS.
"Don't mess with Texas"