• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2016

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, July 16, 2014, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 29, 2016, 10:48:45 PM
I would love to have the transfer from Michigan.  He probably would one of the better players to have suit up for Valpo.  My point is there is a greater need at other positions. 

Why does that make it a bad move to pick up a very good player just because we have other needs? Did that stop us from adding Hammink when he decided to leave LSU? There are more than two players leaving. Valpo would have room for a local like Albrecht.

oklahomamick

Never is it a bad move to add a quality player who is also from the region. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

With Bryce and the staff always playing it close to the vest regarding recruiting,  I can't help it thinking that they have as few aces up their sleeve for the incoming class for '16-'17. All of the successes and "pub"  we have received this year should be a BIG help in recruiting.  I'm anxious to see what our next year's class looks like.

agibson

The Indy Star speculates re Spike to Butler. But, they are an Indy newspaper.

He's not ruling out an NCAA appeal to stay in the Big Ten.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2016/03/29/michigans-spike-albrecht-considering-return-state-indiana/82394094/

SanityLost17

Quote from: agibson on March 30, 2016, 02:17:16 PM
The Indy Star speculates re Spike to Butler. But, they are an Indy newspaper.

He's not ruling out an NCAA appeal to stay in the Big Ten.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2016/03/29/michigans-spike-albrecht-considering-return-state-indiana/82394094/

You gotta like the quote about it being cool if his parents could come to all of his home games next season.  No better place than Valpo for that.  With Keith likely departing, we will need an experienced PG to lead our very experienced team!   No offense to Bradford, Lexus, and Max; but they do not have final 4 experience.  However, the fact that we have those 3 guys means Albrecht will not be pressured into playing more minutes than he is ready to handle early in the season.  We won't have to play him too many minutes early because we have capable backups.  Ensure he is healthy more March.  Seems like the perfect situation to me.

VULB#62

6-9 soph F, Rickey Doyle also Xferring.  Played in 67 of 68 games for the Wolverines.  Albrecht and Doyle have had all restrictions removed by Beilein.  Doyle will have to sit a year, while Albrecht is immediately eligible.
http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032916aab.html

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 31, 2016, 11:40:01 AM
Michigan limiting Spike Albrecht's transfer options

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/michigan-limiting-spike-albrecht-s-transfer-options-224019956-ncaab.html

zvillehaze

Quote from: covufan on March 14, 2016, 10:44:06 AM
If UCF has fired Donnie Jones, does Brachen Hazen open up his recruiting?

http://verbalcommits.com/players/brachen-hazen

Per the Indy Star, Hazen has opened up his recruiting.

valpo64

Maybe??  It would be good if we could get a northern IN recruit, especially one of his caliber.  If I remember correctly, we were of of his final choices.

valpofan11

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 02, 2016, 03:51:30 PM
Quote from: covufan on March 14, 2016, 10:44:06 AM
If UCF has fired Donnie Jones, does Brachen Hazen open up his recruiting?

http://verbalcommits.com/players/brachen-hazen

Per the Indy Star, Hazen has opened up his recruiting.
Would love to get both of the Hazens. Saw both of them play this year in a tourney at Columbia City (I know Coach Benedict), both were impressive, but both need to get stronger. Parker was at a game this year and hopefully is one of our top 2017 targets. Getting Brachen would get Parker to commit to us.

atkins

Maybe we can get an end-of-bench guy from Villanova?  All their starters are better than anyone on our team.  We would lose to them by 50+.   :o

vu72

Quote from: atkins on April 02, 2016, 06:58:20 PM
Maybe we can get an end-of-bench guy from Villanova?  All their starters are better than anyone on our team.  We would lose to them by 50+.   :o
Spoken out of total ignorance
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

atkins

Quote from: vu72 on April 02, 2016, 07:37:15 PM
Quote from: atkins on April 02, 2016, 06:58:20 PMMaybe we can get an end-of-bench guy from Villanova?  All their starters are better than anyone on our team.  We would lose to them by 50+.   :o
Spoken out of total ignorance

It was actually a joke...but apparently not a very good one!   Although I do have to admit that tonight, almost everyone would have have lost to 'Nova by double-digits.

a3uge

Sometimes teams have good games. Sometimes teams have bad games. Sometimes there's a mixture of both. Really novel concept there, but some people can't quite grasp that.

oklahomamick

I'm looking at some of the recruiting from other HL schools.  UIC reportedly signed another 3 star recruit and Green Bay inked Mr. Basketball for Wisconsin. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

In another string, the idea of success breeding success was mentioned. To do that we have to have a pipeline constantly filled with top drawer recruits to reload rather than rebuild.  In that vein, I lost track of the MBB scholarship table that was updated on an annual basis. Where do we currently stand in 2016-17, 17-18 and 18-19? IOW, will we be able to sustain our current success?

VU2014

Anyone else see Paul Oren's tweet about a potential spanish big man being recruited by Valpo? And any chance he still potentially signs if Bryce leaves

atkins

I think we could lose a couple of guys when Bryce takes the Vandy job.  This possibility is substantially lessened if Roger Powell replaces Bryce.  The guys seem to like Roger a lot. 

I suspect Alec will stay if Valpo hires Roger.  I think Bryce will strongly encourage Alec to complete his career at Valpo. 

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on April 02, 2016, 10:33:45 PM
Sometimes teams have good games. Sometimes teams have bad games. Sometimes there's a mixture of both. Really novel concept there, but some people can't quite grasp that.
That was precisely my reasoning for explaining the result back on March 7.

crusader05

So in light of the news and still with at least 2 scholarship spots left (if everyone stays and we get Carter) what does this mean for recruiting? We need to be moving on transfers/international players soon but without a head coach we're kinda stuck. Makes me frustrated that some of these spots weren't already filled.

classof2014

I kinda get the impression that Bryce knew he was going elsewhere at the end of this season and spent little time recruiting. We only have one scholarship spot filled, and it wouldn't shock me if a few more scholarship spots open up due to transfers. This is the most important off-season is program history. Valpo still has the chance to build upon the Bryce Drew era and become a perennial mid-major powerhouse or fall back into the pool of mediocrity with everybody else.

78crusader

We are not the only school dealing with uncertainty and disappointment regarding its mens' basketball program.  Here in Des Moines, Drake University released a statement that it had granted its prized freshman center a release from his scholarship.  Not often a mid-major has a freshman seven foot center with skills and a big upside. (He averaged 10 ppg over his last 10 games and made 72% of his shots for the season.)  You could almost feel the frustration -- no, exasperation -- of the Drake staff in the press release. Earlier, another Drake player -- Kyle Abrahamson, who transferred from Northwestern and who averaged 11 ppg -- also announced he was leaving.

Drake finished 7-24 this season.  You can imagine how Drake fans are taking all of this news.

I think we will be fine.

Paul

VULB#62

Yep, and it may also be a consideration for Alec's decision to xfer or stay.  That is why ML is scrambling right now to fill the slot.  Which brings up an interesting hiring consideration: would one of the hiring criteria be the ability to ply the transfer hotline.  Be nice to (1) retain Bradford, (2) add another 2016 freshman, (3) add a grad Xfer..