• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Strategic Plan

Started by vu72, August 06, 2022, 10:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David81

Quote from: wh on May 23, 2023, 06:12:19 PM
"Valpo is not turning into a hotbed of left activism, even if more such students are enrolled than back in my day. The core of the institution remains solidly traditional."

David,
There isn't time for an Engrg. Prof in an Embedded Microcontrollers class or a Nursing instructor in a Complex Nursing Situations Theory class to sit around and pontificate about the meaning of life. The political views of these people are irrelevant.

The only "core" that matters relative to promoting specific ideologies are humanities and social sciences. If you think this group is "solidly traditional," you need to take a deeper dive. Higher education is the epa center for the promotion of cultural Marxism and Humanities/Social Sciences is the vehicle that drives it.

Valpo is anything but "well suited" to strike an ideological balance. Thankfully, President Padilla is well suited to "re-center" Valpo's current skewed position as part of his heroic effort to save a ship taking on water to the tune of $40k a day. Talking "values" is only step-1 in cleaning up a mishmash that "traditional" families across the United States are wise to and find off putting when selecting the proper fit for their child.

Oy......

vu72

Great article on the enrollment problems facing Northwest indiana.  Sounds to me like Jill Schur, Valpo's new Vice President for Enrollment, is a very good fit for the job.

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/education/northwest-indiana-universities-are-headed-for-a-cliff/article_fdef08fe-f332-11ed-8ac3-b795c27882bf.html
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

I know beating up California seems over the top to you.   But I "think," though unsure, that the in-state tuitions at California are still dirt cheap and subsidized by the state budget very heavily.  Until the late 70s and into the 80s or even 90s, in-state tuition was FREE in California.

It would not surprise me greatly if undocumented residents of CA are being given in-state tuition rates.  It may not be true. But if so, they will reap what they sow fiscally. 

If my two assumptions are correct then the big inflow and nearly free tuition are a big factors in their enrollment.

crusadermoe

California State University System -- Campus Costs of Attendance
​​All students enrolled at a CSU campus pay the same systemwide tuition fee, which is currently $5,742 per academic year for undergraduate students enrolling in more than six units per term and $3,330 for undergraduates enrolling in six or fewer units.​​​

LUNACY --

California Dream Act
The California Dream ActExternal Link, authored by Assembly Member Gil Cedillo (Los Angeles), became law through the passage of two Assembly Bills, AB 130 and AB 131.

AB 130 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria (California Education Code 68130.5(a)) to apply for and receive non-state funded scholarships for public colleges and universities.

AB 131 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid such as institutional grants, community college fee waivers, Cal Grant and Chafee Grant. For more information about the types of financial aid Dream Act students can access, please visit the California Student CommissionExternal Link.

Assembly Bill 540
Assembly Bill 540 (AB540) or California Education Code Section 68130.5 is a California state law that allows qualifying undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at state colleges (University of California System, California State University System, and California Community College System).

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on May 24, 2023, 09:48:44 AM
Great article on the enrollment problems facing Northwest indiana.  Sounds to me like Jill Schur, Valpo's new Vice President for Enrollment, is a very good fit for the job.

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/education/northwest-indiana-universities-are-headed-for-a-cliff/article_fdef08fe-f332-11ed-8ac3-b795c27882bf.html

I was pleasantly surprised by the length, breadth and depth of the article.  This could have just as easily been posted in the Positive News or the Enrollment strings.  I learned a lot reading about the approaches being taken by Valpo, PNW and IUN.  No one's sticking their head in the sand on the enrollment issue, that's fer sure. I did note that PNW is a regional competitor to Valpo in the heath sciences, but with lower tuition.  Also, Padilla's Hispanic Services Institution initiative is not a one-off thing — he's following IUN which already is certified and has received federal funds as a result. PNW is going for certification as well.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on May 24, 2023, 09:48:44 AM

I just speed-read through a demographic analysis for Metropolitan Chicago, which includes NWI and SE WI. Total population is 10 million, which is the 3rd largest metropolitan area in the U.S. Probably to no one's surprise, the Hispanic population is the fastest growing demographic by far. They represented 17% of the metro population in 2000, 23% in 2020, and are projected to rise to 30% by 2040.

I also found interesting a Pew study indicating that Latino college participation is on the rise:

Hispanic enrollment at colleges and universities in the U.S. has more than doubled in the last two decades:

https://www.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/ft_2022.10.07_hispaniceducation_01a.png?w=554

In a world of unfavorable demographic trends that are biting universities in the butt, it appears that Valpo may have found the 1 outlier that could turn the trend in its favor. Obviously, there is a lot of work ahead and no guarantee of success, but I applaud the effort by President Padilla, Jill Schur, and presumably countless others to seize the moment and turn a problem into an opportunity.

crusadermoe

I don't know that catholic vs. Lutheran has much to do with a Hispanic draw.

But it won't hurt that the name Valparaiso, from its Chillean origin sounds spanish and catholic.  If we were Heidelberg, Wartburg, Saint Olaf, or Luther, we might need a harder brand pivot.  ;D

vu84v2

The main issue that I have with the HSI goal is that it is unachievable, since getting certification requires 25% of all students be Hispanic. In a general sense, unrealistic goals combined with executive leadership that drives to meet those unrealistic goals can lead to investments, incentives, and behaviors that are not good for the organization.

On the other hand, the university where I work (which is better positioned to achieve HSI) also set this goal and improved to about half of the required percentage. Many very positive initiatives were created that increased the likelihood of Hispanic students succeeding (especially those from first generation college student households)...initiatives that also helped a wider range of students. As senior administration did not excessively drive for HSI (they dropped it 3 years after announcing the goal), it did create positives for student recruitment and retention while avoiding the negatives that can come with unrealistic goals.

crusader05

Yeah I think the idea that we can become an HSI is a possible achievement but maybe not probably but I also don't see anything wrong with a goal that pushes you towards ensuring you are preparing yourself to recruit and educate the fastest growing college aged demographic in your area. 

Just Sayin

Quote from: crusader05 on May 28, 2023, 11:39:12 AM
Yeah I think the idea that we can become an HSI is a possible achievement but maybe not probably but I also don't see anything wrong with a goal that pushes you towards ensuring you are preparing yourself to recruit and educate the fastest growing college aged demographic in your area.

I'm all for that goal as long as there is no preferential treatment given over better qualified students who are not Hispanic. Not that Valpo will ever have the problem of more students wanting to enroll over its maximum student capacity which many top-notch universities experience.

vu72

The word "Hispanic" has a pretty wide berth.  As an example, my granddaughter, who has one grandmother who is Columbian and no other Latin heritage, got a Hispanic scholarship to Fordham.

David81

Interesting piece about Monmouth College in New Jersey, which has managed to pursue a largely debt-free financing strategy. It's not a rich school; the endowment is around $135m.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/business/financial-health/2023/05/09/rare-debt-free-college

wh

Morning chapel service from Feb. 2022

https://youtube.com/live/qR7Hkawn3rE?feature=share

This has to be the most pathetic representation of a religious service from a religious-affiliated university in America. Some thoughts:
• I feel sorry for "Pastor Jim," whoever he is. Wakes up in the morning, prepares to share a Godly message of hope that everyone everywhere could benefit by hearing, heads out the door toward one of the nation's most iconic Protestant university worship centers where he will deliver it, and finally turns to face maybe 20 students at max.
• He monotones a few paragraphs, the "audience" mumbles through a couple hymns, and everyone walks out fired up and ready to take on the world.
• Even sadder is knowing that he had enough spiritual wisdom to quote from the writings of O. P. Kretzmann, one of the greatest Biblical scholars of the 20th century, IMO. He retired before I became an adult, but many years ago I was introduced to his various writings and bulletins by a dear Lutheran friend. What an amazing man of God. Everything he wrote came straight from his heart. His memory deserves better than a 20-student audience.
• A religious-affiliated university that tries to become all things to all people becomes nothing to anyone. Welcome to present day Valpo. Can I get an "oy" to that?

vu72

Quote from: wh on May 29, 2023, 06:01:20 PM
Morning chapel service from Feb. 2022

https://youtube.com/live/qR7Hkawn3rE?feature=share

This has to be the most pathetic representation of a religious service from a religious-affiliated university in America. Some thoughts:
• I feel sorry for "Pastor Jim," whoever he is. Wakes up in the morning, prepares to share a Godly message of hope that everyone everywhere could benefit by hearing, heads out the door toward one of the nation's most iconic Protestant university worship centers where he will deliver it, and finally turns to face maybe 20 students at max.
• He monotones a few paragraphs, the "audience" mumbles through a couple hymns, and everyone walks out fired up and ready to take on the world.
• Even sadder is knowing that he had enough spiritual wisdom to quote from the writings of O. P. Kretzmann, one of the greatest Biblical scholars of the 20th century, IMO. He retired before I became an adult, but many years ago I was introduced to his various writings and bulletins by a dear Lutheran friend. What an amazing man of God. Everything he wrote came straight from his heart. His memory deserves better than a 20-student audience.
• A religious-affiliated university that tries to become all things to all people becomes nothing to anyone. Welcome to present day Valpo. Can I get an "oy" to that?
https://www.facebook.com/ValpoFanZone

I agree with much of what you have written but Pastor Jim is a long standing Missouri Lutheran pastor who has delivered many well thought out, powerful messages, as has Pastor Kate of the ELCA.

What you missed (no doubt because of lack of knowledge on the subject) is that students in today's world don't choose to worship on Sunday mornings. More likely they will attend candlelight services Sunday night at 9, or Celebrate, Wednesday at 10.

Agreed that the overall attendance is indicative of cultural changes to be sure. But, nonetheless, Valpo provides many worship opportunities.

https://www.valpo.edu/chapel/worship/celebrate/

https://www.valpo.edu/chapel/worship/candlelight/

vu84v2

• A religious-affiliated university that tries to become all things to all people becomes nothing to anyone.

Perhaps you should check out most of the Jesuit universities, whose model is extremely similar to Valpo's. They do just fine by offering a quality religiously-oriented program to those who desire it, while also avoiding dogma and expected adherence that would turn off other students. These universities align by values that are inspired by faith (cura personalis), but do not require or expect adherence to any faith.

David81

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 30, 2023, 12:01:54 AM

• A religious-affiliated university that tries to become all things to all people becomes nothing to anyone.

Perhaps you should check out most of the Jesuit universities, whose model is extremely similar to Valpo's. They do just fine by offering a quality religiously-oriented program to those who desire it, while also avoiding dogma and expected adherence that would turn off other students. These universities align by values that are inspired by faith (cura personalis), but do not require or expect adherence to any faith.

Indeed, there are many other successful, religiously-affiliated universities that manage to hold true to their specific faith traditions while creating welcoming spaces for others. It's a challenging balancing act that requires ongoing, thoughtful care and attention, but it can be done.

In any event, in response to wh's suggestion, VU is hardly trying to become all things to all people, nor should it. While the University has experienced some identity uncertainties over the decades, its Lutheran connection has remained strong from the beginning of that affiliation in the 1920s.

While there's not much it can do about the demographics of declining faith affiliation among the current generation, I think there's strong consensus on this board, including those of us who are not Lutheran, that VU can and should do a better job of recruiting graduates of Lutheran high schools. Furthermore, VU has a lot to offer young folks for whom personal values and building an ethic of care in one's vocation are important. If it can find more effective ways to reach and recruit those kids, then its entering classes should grow.

crusadermoe

In the 80s it was probably a mid-point in the decline of Sunday chapel.  Worship seemed to go about 25-30 rows deep on both sides with half full pews.  Maybe 250-350 with a lot of faculty. It did ebb and flow with winter down a bit after an exciting fall season. Vespers in December were packed despite finals. Even with a robust greek life several dozen showed up Sunday.  Drs. Nagel and Neidner were good preachers and there was always communion in the rollling "merging traffic" model.

Compared to now, I guess that number that is stellar.  I am guessing it was even higher in the 50s and 60s and possibly in the 70s.  There was a Sunday night folk service that I never went to.

I was pretty shocked at the sparseness in the 00s when I visited, but I had heard from others already. Yes, read the "Dying of the Light" of you want to see where Valpo was headed. It sounds like we have arrived, at least in Sunday morning terms.   

David81

Quote from: valpo22 on May 30, 2023, 06:52:14 AM
i am not so optimistic that valpo can emulate the Jesuit way. while people at those schools quibble over the relationship of 'Jesuit' and 'Catholic,' the fact is that the Jesuits can and do draw on the whole rationale/language of Catholic Social Teaching over the last hundred years-- the 1890s papal discussions of industrializatation and labor, the mid-20th century discussions of eugenics, coldwar era Catholic fight against Communism, to the late 20th century discussions of nuclear warfare, to present-day stuff on environmentalism and business ethics and beginning/end of life issues. While those universities fight perennially over whether the official Catholic teaching is too lefty or too rightist, it does provide grounds for discussing issues of faith and society in a modern way. Meanwhile, i am less clear on what lutheran resources there are for staging a university conversation or debate about contemporary topics. although there are probably positive Lutheran values of some sort as D81 is saying, there doesn't seem to be any analogous body of 'Lutheran Social Teaching' to engage or debate. it feels like it got kind of stuck on the Athens and Jerusalem question, though unfortunately 'faith' and 'reason' is just not really the dilemma today. It just kind of feels like a false dichotomy, since people don't necessarily trust the objectivity of scientific 'reason' nor do they necessarily assume that myth/faith/narrative isn't its own kind of legitimate reasoning. Plenty of these far-right techie young dude college students today are totally into the modern paganism and see no tension between STEM and all the Nordic pagan iconography and ritual. Definitely not the majority, of course... .But the point is, they are not worried about whether Athens and Jerusalem relate. Or in the latest thing, a good chunk of the GenZers come in already already assuming that math and "manifesting" go together for a successful life. if you look up 'manifest' on tiktok or youtube, you will understand what i am talking about. i had no idea what they were talking about at first, when  I had a student tell me they were going to "manifest" an A, and it made me feel old and curmudgeony

anwyays, maybe all this makes the case FOR why valpo values can hold open the space for reflection or something. i guess i am just saying that gestures at faith identity and values are not necessarily going to hit a bulls eye because the assumptions and concerns of society change over time. People are not really worried about the post-Darwin version of the Athens Jerusalem question anymore, since its been two hundred years since him and other things become more pressing or perplexing. So the particular resources & ways of framing this stuff probably does matter for whether it 'works' or not as an enrollment draw and student experience retention aide.

valpo22, thank you for once again raising very thought provoking points.

I think I see a slightly revised Athens-Jerusalem frame in play here. Version 2.0 regards Athens as being not only the world of practical reasoning, but also of commerce, government, and everyday community. Think the images of the Athenian marketplace, streams of commerce, practical inventiveness, and halls of government. Version 2.0 regards Jerusalem not only in faith terms, but also in more generalized values and wisdom. Here the big picture questions are raised and interact with everyday life.

Ok, so you'd be right in saying that even this "expanded" notion of the Kretzmann frame still doesn't necessarily speak to the heart of Gen Z. However, VU doesn't have to recruit from the full spectrum of Gen Z. It does have to be more effective at tapping into that cohort of prospective students who may welcome a dual focus on vocation and values, which actually does appeal to the sense of balance and practical idealism that I see from a good number of folks from this generation.

Equally important, it makes a normative statement about what higher education can and should provide to students. It transcends generational leanings and fads, as opposed to all the branding and rebranding B.S. that results in some schools becoming nothingburgers beyond delivering shifting assortments of content and degrees. Of course, any university that wishes to stay open for business must make ongoing adjustments to appeal to its market population, but a meaningful university has and is aware of its deeper purpose, even if that purpose isn't all the current rage, and doesn't bend itself out of shape to attract more bodies.

vu72

crusadermoe

Might I recommend the two kingdoms doctrine taught by Martin Luther.   It lines up with Athens and Jerusalem and could speak to modern issues. He distinguished between Christians' dual citizenship in a "Kingdom of the Left Hand" (Secular government and courts etc.) and the "Kingdom of the Left Hand" (Spiritual guidance to yourself and others on a personal basis.)  The critical idea is that Christians should adhere to reasonable government for the order of things and use persuasion to influence individual people and policy in spiritual directions. 

He would not be an advocate for imposing a Christian ruler and even might be surprised trying "return us" to a "Christian nation." Certain a clear majority of of the founding fathers were believers and you can read that assumption into our documents. But the colonies were all formed to avoid the imposition of a religion. Stay in your lane governmentally. Sharia law is an example of not staying in your lane. So it tests the hope for stable pluralism. But this Lutheran concept seems appealing to young people

I don't know how Luther would want us to act when truly strong forces start antagonizing reasonable people in that doctrine by overt anti-Christian cultural agendas. These wokesters are powerful now. In the past they were just ludicrous protesters or cartoonish riders of floats in pride parades.  They could simply be ignored and allowed. They hold powerful roles in government and business. The latter is an astonishing achievement by liberals since corporations would by definition prioriitize profit rather than ESG and cultural evangelism.  This behavior ruins the responsible pluralism that would persuade people respectly from both sides.  The whole idea of Christians going out to purposely antagonize the left is no longer plausible.  They are merely reacting to the deluge of idiocy and evil.

crusadermoe

.....oops meant "kingdom of right hand" for spiritual realm.

wh

I can't help but shake my head sometimes at the depth of discussion on this "fans" forum. Today has been a real education.

David81

Quote from: crusadermoe on May 30, 2023, 03:55:01 PM
Might I recommend the two kingdoms doctrine taught by Martin Luther.   It lines up with Athens and Jerusalem and could speak to modern issues. He distinguished between Christians' dual citizenship in a "Kingdom of the Left Hand" (Secular government and courts etc.) and the "Kingdom of the Left Hand" (Spiritual guidance to yourself and others on a personal basis.)  The critical idea is that Christians should adhere to reasonable government for the order of things and use persuasion to influence individual people and policy in spiritual directions. 

He would not be an advocate for imposing a Christian ruler and even might be surprised trying "return us" to a "Christian nation." Certain a clear majority of of the founding fathers were believers and you can read that assumption into our documents. But the colonies were all formed to avoid the imposition of a religion. Stay in your lane governmentally. Sharia law is an example of not staying in your lane. So it tests the hope for stable pluralism. But this Lutheran concept seems appealing to young people

I don't know how Luther would want us to act when truly strong forces start antagonizing reasonable people in that doctrine by overt anti-Christian cultural agendas. These wokesters are powerful now. In the past they were just ludicrous protesters or cartoonish riders of floats in pride parades.  They could simply be ignored and allowed. They hold powerful roles in government and business. The latter is an astonishing achievement by liberals since corporations would by definition prioriitize profit rather than ESG and cultural evangelism.  This behavior ruins the responsible pluralism that would persuade people respectly from both sides.  The whole idea of Christians going out to purposely antagonize the left is no longer plausible.  They are merely reacting to the deluge of idiocy and evil.

Crusadermoe, I respectfully suggest that conflating liberals and extreme "wokesters" paints with a very broad brush, and I count myself among the former. In fact, at my own university, I have openly opposed proposed measures from our very left leaning faculty diversity committee that I consider to be violative of academic freedom. This includes measures that I would support on a voluntary basis, with no penalties for those opting not to participate. I have also urged that we honor students who demonstrate a commitment to open dialogue on public issues and to creating room for honest, respectful differences of opinion. In fact, I strongly supported giving a major graduation award to the President of our law school's Federalist Society (prominent conservative legal/bar association), in part because of his demonstrated commitment along those lines. (Fortunately, he was indeed chosen to receive the award.)

That said, I also find it disturbing when people reactively apply the "woke" tag to any discussions of diversity and difference and to anyone who initiates such discussions, because oftentimes the objective is to shut down the conversation, rather than engage topics that are very difficult, sometimes downright unpleasant, but very important. By the same token, I also disagree with those coming from the far left who, say, automatically label anyone who favors the pro-choice position a misogynist or anyone who supports ending affirmative action a racist or sexist, because that gambit, too, usually is meant to shut down a discussion rather than to encourage dialogue.

It is in maintaining space for those differences of opinion to be discussed and tested that some universities can play a significant role in restoring sanity and civility to our public dialogue. And while I'm fine with the existence of schools that adopt strong ideological, religious, or social views in any direction, I think it's the institutions in the wide middle that may better prepare their students for participating and succeeding in that pluralistic society to which you refer.

Just Sayin

Quote from: crusadermoe on May 30, 2023, 03:55:01 PM

Artificial Intelligence weighed on this question:

User
what would Martin Luther teach to his followers about how to respond when truly strong opposing forces of luthern doctrine started antagonizing reasonable Lutherans and that doctrine by overt anti-Christian cultural agendas.

ChatGPT
QuoteMartin Luther emphasized the importance of responding to opposition and challenges with steadfastness and a commitment to the truth of the Gospel. If faced with strong opposing forces and anti-Christian cultural agendas, Luther would likely encourage his followers to respond in the following ways:

Remain Firm in the Truth: Luther would urge his followers to remain grounded in the teachings of Scripture and the core principles of Lutheran doctrine. He would emphasize the importance of understanding and articulating the foundational truths of the Gospel, such as justification by faith alone and the authority of Scripture.

Defend the Faith with Reason and Love: Luther was known for his sharp intellect and his ability to engage in theological debates. He would likely encourage his followers to defend the Lutheran doctrine through reasoned arguments and engage in respectful dialogue with those who hold opposing views. He would emphasize the importance of speaking the truth in love, seeking to persuade others rather than resorting to hostility or aggression.

Educate and Equip the Faithful: Luther would stress the importance of educating and equipping his followers to understand and articulate their faith. He would encourage the study of Scripture, theology, and the writings of the early Church Fathers. Luther believed in the priesthood of all believers, empowering individuals to actively engage with their faith and defend it when necessary.

Trust in God's Providence: Luther firmly believed in God's sovereignty and providence. In the face of opposition, he would encourage his followers to trust in God's guidance and to rely on Him for strength and wisdom. Luther often found comfort and encouragement in prayer, and he would likely encourage his followers to turn to God in times of difficulty and seek His guidance.

Engage in Peaceful Proclamation: Luther was committed to the peaceful proclamation of the Gospel and the reform of the Church. He advocated for using the printing press to spread his teachings and engaged in writing numerous treatises and pamphlets. Luther would likely encourage his followers to use every available means to peacefully promote and defend the Lutheran doctrine in the face of opposition.

It is important to note that these responses are based on an understanding of Luther's historical context and his approach to challenges during the Reformation. Luther's actual teachings and specific guidance on such matters may vary, but the principles of remaining grounded in the Gospel, defending the faith with reason and love, and relying on God's guidance would likely resonate with his approach.

What a strange world in which we now live.  ;)

Oh good grief, is this true? Never mind that last AI point:

QuoteLuther regarded the Anabaptist and radical leaders of the 1525 Peasants' Revolt as heretics. He wrote a pamphlet, "Against the murdering, thieving hordes of peasants" urging the German princes to put down the peasants' rebellion. They should be "sliced, choked, stabbed, secretly and publicly" by anyone who could, as one would treat "a rabid dog."