• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Scholarship Chart

Started by cmack, February 16, 2012, 06:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

Why would he have to sit out a year in changing from NAIA to NCAA?

MattCarter

Quote from: valpo04 on February 17, 2012, 12:13:13 PM
Quote from: MattCarter on February 17, 2012, 11:59:20 AM
Quote from: agibson on February 17, 2012, 10:05:34 AM
Quote from: MattCarter on February 17, 2012, 08:27:36 AMI am gonna figure out a way to make a nicer looking one
Is it possible to use the tables available natively here on the message board?  Not sure what Butler's using.  There could be a certain advantage to a format that others can edit.
I did try using the built in table thing and it didn't work well.  I checked and Butler is using an image, so they are prob building it in like Fireworks or something and then posting the updated image (like i am doing). i used a free online html table builder and then cropped out a screen shot.  Open to any suggestions.
Perhaps creating it on the blog on this site might be an option.  Could then have multiple editors if we wanted.

Again, I did try the table builder here but I didn't like it.  I could not get table headings and things of that nature...I also couldn't get lines and color options.  Its not quite the same as an HTML table I found.  I emailed the Butler user to see if they will tell me how they build that one.

I'll work on adding stuff to the table tonight like the totals section and add the walk ons (which i left off because it was a scholarship grid) and also mark Bobby and Ferndandez as scholarships for this year
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

valpo04

Quote from: MattCarter on February 17, 2012, 01:23:21 PM
Quote from: valpo04 on February 17, 2012, 12:13:13 PM
Quote from: MattCarter on February 17, 2012, 11:59:20 AM
Quote from: agibson on February 17, 2012, 10:05:34 AM
Quote from: MattCarter on February 17, 2012, 08:27:36 AMI am gonna figure out a way to make a nicer looking one
Is it possible to use the tables available natively here on the message board?  Not sure what Butler's using.  There could be a certain advantage to a format that others can edit.
I did try using the built in table thing and it didn't work well.  I checked and Butler is using an image, so they are prob building it in like Fireworks or something and then posting the updated image (like i am doing). i used a free online html table builder and then cropped out a screen shot.  Open to any suggestions.
Perhaps creating it on the blog on this site might be an option.  Could then have multiple editors if we wanted.

Again, I did try the table builder here but I didn't like it.  I could not get table headings and things of that nature...I also couldn't get lines and color options.  Its not quite the same as an HTML table I found.  I emailed the Butler user to see if they will tell me how they build that one.

I'll work on adding stuff to the table tonight like the totals section and add the walk ons (which i left off because it was a scholarship grid) and also mark Bobby and Ferndandez as scholarships for this year

I was referring to the actual website (www.valpofanzone.com) where Wordpress is installed.  You could create it there (as a blog) using html if you'd like and we could have multiple editors.  It might help build interest in building that part of the site and could be the cornerstone of some sort of "Recuiting" or "Scholarship" section like Crusader03 suggested in his thread.

valpopal

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 17, 2012, 12:47:59 PM
Karp is a sophomore. Yes, he would have to sit out a year for sure and then have two years' eligiblity.
He was the National NAIA Player of the Week recently, earned an all-academic honor, has been conference player of the week four times.
I know he scored a career-high 39 recently and is averaging low 20s maybe (I haven't checked lately).
I know it's NAIA and the competition may not be the greatest, but I'm sure he's also playing against guys with D-1 talent who couldn't make the grades.
Problem is, he can't be recruited. He has to do the recruiting on his own if he wants to leave.

Good find. Karp is averaging 24 points per game and shooting better than 40% from the 3-point line, with an overall field goal average near 60%. The competition at NAIA has to be better than in high school, and those would be fantastic high school stats for a recruit, plus he has college experience. I can't imagine Karp not wanting to move to Div. I somewhere, and I would think Valpo might be a first choice for him. Therefore, I have to believe he and his family would contact VU about possible interest. Plus, we all know it wouldn't hurt to have a local kid on the roster.

Valpo89

Quote from: valporun on February 17, 2012, 12:51:50 PM
Why would he have to sit out a year in changing from NAIA to NCAA?
Well, it might have to do with moving up a Division. Someone close to the situation told me he'd have to sit a year, which is fine.
By the time he'd be eligible, he'd be 22 years old and still have two years to play. He may not have been deemed "athletic enough" coming out of high school, but he's put up some impressive numbers in the NAIA. He had 22 against Notre Dame in a November "exhibition" game. Even if he averaged 12 ppg, that's more than some of the other guys who are on the current roster.

FWalum

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 17, 2012, 12:47:59 PMI know it's NAIA and the competition may not be the greatest, but I'm sure he's also playing against guys with D-1 talent who couldn't make the grades.
Problem is, he can't be recruited. He has to do the recruiting on his own if he wants to leave.

You are darn right there are D-1 players playing NAIA ball!! We had this kid Jon Battle at Indiana Tech for a year. Unbelievable ball handler, had a huge heart, actually got his grades up to a decent level and then he gets upset with a prof who did not give him the grade he felt he deserved and they got into a little tussle and... zip... he was gone.  Originally had a full ride to USC but did not have the grades and didn't like the prep school they tried to put him into.

QuoteJon Battle #24
Height: 6-2
Class: Sr.
Position: Guard
Hometown: Cleveland, Ohio/Indiana Tech

Prior to Madonna
Spent two years at Lakeland Community College...averaged 21 points and seven rebounds as a freshman and followed that up with 19.8 points, eight rebounds and seven assists as a sophomore and was named all-conference...spent one year at WHAC rival Indiana Tech and was named all-conference after posting 21 points, seven rebounds and four assists per night...

Cleveland Heights High School
Earned four letters in basketball at Cleveland Heights High School...named to the all-Ohio first team as well as the Lake Erie League and Cuyahoga Player of the Year as a senior after averaging 26.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game...finished behind NBA star Lebron James in the raced for Ohio's Mr. Basketball award...

Loved the kid but he wore me out trying to keep him in line.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

MattCarter

Quote from: valpo04 on February 17, 2012, 01:36:32 PM[ I was referring to the actual website (www.valpofanzone.com) where Wordpress is installed.  You could create it there (as a blog) using html if you'd like and we could have multiple editors.  It might help build interest in building that part of the site and could be the cornerstone of some sort of "Recuiting" or "Scholarship" section like Crusader03 suggested in his thread.
How would I do that?

valporun

Valpo89, I thought the "sit out a year" only mattered in NCAA D-I because of competitive balance, and keeping scholarship players from recruiting themselves out every year?

lowposter

Brad Karp is flat out a player.  Watched a St X game recently and was impressed with his ability.  He scored a quiet 24 points.  Hit 3's, posted up, rebounded, steals, etc.  He missed an unbelieveable put back dunk.  He is an impossible matchup at the NAIA level.  Put a guard on him and he posts up.  A bigger man cannot keep up and he finds a way to get open. 

He is a product of the VHS "system" in which he averaged 14 pts a game in high school and moved on to college and averaged 19 as a freshman, 24 so far this year and is well over 1000 points in his career. 

He fell into the recruiting trap of being a "tweener", but people often peg players according to size.  He and Joe Crisman of Loyola are very similar players.  Tough kids that have game.

valpopal

According to Indiana Recruiting Guide, other 2012 local high school recruits still available that VU coaches have considered include the following:

Ronnye Beamon: 6'4" SG, Bishop Noll (apparently has an offer from VU)
Adeleike "Leike" Solanke:  6'6" Power Forward, Marquette Catholic (profiled with video on this board in the past--very athletic--and has ties in Valparaiso)
Edward Seay:  6'8″ Power Forward, Merrillville (may need to attend junior college first)
Matej Buovac: 6'7" SF, La Lumiere (might be shy to sign this Croatian because of the problems with Jakolis)

Crusader03

Quote from: valpopal on February 19, 2012, 09:31:34 AM
According to Indiana Recruiting Guide, other 2012 local high school recruits still available that VU coaches have considered include the following:

Adeleike "Leike" Solanke:  6'6" Power Forward, Marquette Catholic (profiled with video on this board in the past--very athletic--and has ties in Valparaiso)
Edward Seay:  6'8″ Power Forward, Merrillville (may need to attend junior college first)
Matej Buovac: 6'7" SF, La Lumiere (might be shy to sign this Croatian because of the problems with Jakolis)

Add Leventes Strong of Victory Christian to that list...Diebler and Bryce have both been out to games to watch him.

Valpo89

Quote from: valpopal on February 19, 2012, 09:31:34 AM

Solanke is not very good at basketball.
Beamon is OK, great kid.
Seay tore his ACL and needs to get his grades up at a juco.
All of these guys are wild cards. Karp - while not a freak of an athlete - has proven he can play basketball.

Pgmado

I believe I heard that the Valpo coaching staff offered a walk-on role to Brad Karp when he was coming out of high school. They definitely liked him.

humbleopinion

According to Rivals, the only Valpo offer out for an uncommitted 2012 grad is for Aaron Armstead out of Fresno, California.
Beamin' Beacons

justducky

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 19, 2012, 12:55:58 PM
According to Rivals, the only Valpo offer out for an uncommitted 2012 grad is for Aaron Armstead out of Fresno, California.
I think you mean Aaric Armstead who is Aarons younger brother. Aaron is a freshman at Green Bay. As good as next years team may be we will still have one glaring weakness and that is our ability to create turnovers and fight our way back into a game. I don't know if this kid would qualify, but if we could find a freshman who could come in as a great defender (like Omar Sylla), then maybe you wouldn't even want to redshirt him.

humbleopinion

My bad...

Have there ever been two brothers who played against each other in the Horizon League?
Beamin' Beacons

zvillehaze

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 19, 2012, 02:58:14 PM
My bad...

Have there ever been two brothers who played against each other in the Horizon League?

Martell Bailey of UIC and David Bailey of Loyola.  Assume there have been others, but that's all I've got off the top of my head.

sliman

Thanks for all involved in putting together the scholarship chart.  In addition to noting that the two players sitting on the bench actually have the first year of their scholarships this year, I think it would be good to note that we have "verbal" commitments from players in the class of 2013 since they can't be sing letters of intent and accept scholarship offers until next fall.  As we've learned, players making verbal commitments don't always end up receiving scholarships.  I have no reason to believe those in the class of 2013 currently listed on the scholarship chart will end up elsewhere, noting them as "verbal" would show the situation more clearly.

MattCarter

Quote from: sliman on February 19, 2012, 04:39:14 PMThanks for all involved in putting together the scholarship chart.  In addition to noting that the two players sitting on the bench actually have the first year of their scholarships this year, I think it would be good to note that we have "verbal" commitments from players in the class of 2013 since they can't be sing letters of intent and accept scholarship offers until next fall.  As we've learned, players making verbal commitments don't always end up receiving scholarships.  I have no reason to believe those in the class of 2013 currently listed on the scholarship chart will end up elsewhere, noting them as "verbal" would show the situation more clearly.
Great idea.  I am gonna put a V instead of an X for them

MattCarter

While it is far from perfect or super awesome, we have some up with something that works for this site (for now)
http://www.valpofanzone.com/2012/02/17/valparaiso-crusaders-scholarship-grid/

I am sure the admins will hot link this somehow

Feedback always welcome and appreciated.  FYI- we had to condense its size, so the hometowns and schools were dropped

Crusader03

Quote from: MattCarter on February 19, 2012, 10:55:10 PM
While it is far from perfect or super awesome, we have some up with something that works for this site (for now)

Feedback always welcome and appreciated.  FYI- we had to condense its size, so the hometowns and schools were dropped

I like it...nicely done Matt

humbleopinion

I am sure the admins will hot link this somehow.

This is very nice.  Thanks for the effort.  The hometowns and schools are easily accessed by clicking the link for the individual players.
:thumbsup:

Beamin' Beacons

vuweathernerd

that's very sharp, matt. way to go!

sliman

Good job.  This will be a handy reference.