• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo v. Indiana!

Started by vu72, May 27, 2013, 11:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on May 31, 2013, 04:23:48 PM
Austin Peay beats FL 4-3 on a 3 run 8th inning HR!  Loser of our game plays the Gators, while the winner gets the Govs

Do you believe in the Crusaders and their ability to beat the Hoosiers? valpotx, just say "I do."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eqEkPjUbmIA#t=0s

LaPorteAveApostle

Great start for the lads!  First blood in the top of the 1st--3 singles and a FC plate a run.  Mahoney strikes out with 2 in scoring position...could've been more.

Gametracker here:
http://valpoathletics.cstv.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mbasebl.html?event=1258478&school=val&sport=mbasebl&camefrom=&startschool=&
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Is there an NCAA version of the @TOOTBLAN account, I wonder?  Just saw one in the bottom of the 2nd.  Thanks, Hoosiers!

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

TWO HUGE RUNS TOP 9 AND WE ARE 3 UP WITH 3 OUTS TO GO!!!

talksalot

One out One on B9... Come on Karch! Let's put them away...

LaPorteAveApostle

...oh dear God.

Sweet heavenly LORD that's ...

that's a tough way to lose.

I just said several obscenities and my wife is almost as upset as I am.  But really,  :censored: :rant: :censored:

talksalot

Dave_2010

Reminds me of the softball tourney game against Louisville last year. I have no idea how you can get a team back off the mat for another game after a loss like that one.

valpotx

WTF? lol  I second Dave's comment, as it looks just like our loss in softball last year to Louisville on paper.  What happened?  I was given an update by my brother that we went up 4-1 in the 9th, and thought it was game over with Karch.

It will be hard to come back from that, but all the luck in the world tomorrow against Florida.  We have shown this year that we can play with anyone, so let's get one!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

I'm going to play glass half full now.

We just took the supposedly best team in the regional into the 9th inning before our pitching imploded. We had great pitching from our #1 until the 7th inning. If we can put 2 innings together we seem to be able to beat anyone in this regional.

Let's come back on Saturday and beat Florida so we can play another day. But when we're only up by one run and it's easy to see our best relief pitcher is faltering let's hope Woodson realizes he must replace him before he gives up the game.

valpotx

The positive is that FL also blew a late lead, so it will be two teams that were extremely let down.

I saw the pitch at the gym that ended the game.  Probably the only time Valpo baseball will ever be on Sportscenter, at #6 of the top ten.  Karch definitely threw a monster hanging curveball that the guy just laid into.

Come back tomorrow and do us proud again boys!
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on June 01, 2013, 12:08:35 AMI'm going to play glass half full now.
I appreciate that, and even though I'm always the optimist around here, having watched it, I want to throw up.  Still.

Just imagine the difference if we'd trailed 5-0 the entire game, and scored 4 in the 9th, coming up juuuuust short...

ye gods.

jetz

bbtds, I understand where some may question the pitching decisions made by Coach Woodson at different points through the year.  I've done it myself when it seems we left our starter in too long at times.  Last night was not one of them.  Karch was the man for the job, and they just hit him.  It's not like he was walking guys.  He lit up the radar gun--hitting 94, and pounded the strike zone.  He got the first hitter on a ground ball, and the second guy hit a weak roller to third that probably should have been the second out.  There was no time to even get someone up and ready, and you wouldn't normally do that with a closer who had a 0.36 ERA coming in.  I know what you're saying, but I would have had Karch in the game myself until the end.  The only questionable call in my mind was throwing the #8 hitter a breaking ball when a home run is the only thing that can beat you.  He never would have hit a 90+ fastball out to left....
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

LaPorteAveApostle

jetz, was it even more soul-crushing in person?  or have you watched this team enough to roll with it better than I?

I just feel so bad for the kids.  Esp. Karch.

vubballfan

We out-played, out-pitched, out-coached, and out-hustled the Big Ten regular season and tourney champions for 8 1/2 innings.....it makes you sick.....but that is baseball. Doesn't make you feel better saying it.....A win vs. Florida would be just as big for the program. Hopefully, the team can emotionally move on!

bbtds

Quote from: jetz on June 01, 2013, 08:21:44 AM
bbtds, I understand where some may question the pitching decisions made by Coach Woodson at different points through the year.  I've done it myself when it seems we left our starter in too long at times.  Last night was not one of them.  Karch was the man for the job, and they just hit him.  It's not like he was walking guys.  He lit up the radar gun--hitting 94, and pounded the strike zone.  He got the first hitter on a ground ball, and the second guy hit a weak roller to third that probably should have been the second out.  There was no time to even get someone up and ready, and you wouldn't normally do that with a closer who had a 0.36 ERA coming in.  I know what you're saying, but I would have had Karch in the game myself until the end.  The only questionable call in my mind was throwing the #8 hitter a breaking ball when a home run is the only thing that can beat you.  He never would have hit a 90+ fastball out to left....

It just seemed to me that when Karch had already given up 2 runs and Valpo still had the chance to win it was evident that Karch wasn't going to get any more outs and it was then time to stall with a longer conference on the mound and maybe having Karch throw a couple of pitches way outside the strike zone until a reliever was ready. It just seemed obvious to me that Karch wasn't going to get it done this time. If happens to every pitcher sometime. The fact that Woodson didn't go back to Karch in another close game with elimination on the line, today-Sat, tells a great deal. Even though Karch had his pitches hitting in the mid-90's it wasn't fooling anyone.

jetz

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 01, 2013, 08:29:38 AM
jetz, was it even more soul-crushing in person?  or have you watched this team enough to roll with it better than I?

I just feel so bad for the kids.  Esp. Karch.

I never saw the hr ball land. When it was hit, I turned and headed for the exit. Felt horrible for Karch. He sat out last year. Couldn't even be in the dugout. Then he's our best player this year. Perfect til yesterday. The game he wants the most. Hangs a breaking ball and loses. Doesn't sleep last night. Warms up to come in today and doesn't get the call. Not sure how I'd feel about that. We do have a closer issue now that didn't exist before today. We will see how that plays out...But yes, the IU loss was a bitch.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

FWalum

That homer is still being talked about as the motivating point towards IU's "Road to Omaha".  Clarks homer vs Valpo was the "Watford shot" for Indiana Baseball
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

covufan

Quote from: FWalum on June 15, 2013, 01:49:40 PM
That homer is still being talked about as the motivating point towards IU's "Road to Omaha".  Clarks homer vs Valpo was the "Watford shot" for Indiana Baseball
Was just reminded of the fact that IU made the College World Series after our game with them.  Coach Woodson and the VU baseballers have much to be proud of, and know how far they've come and close they were.  Looking for more success in 2014!