• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo v. Indiana!

Started by vu72, May 27, 2013, 11:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

About as good a draw as possible.  A definite chance for a win or two and, if we do somehow win in Bloomington the next round is also as good as possible versus a 7 seed or worse.  I love the draw!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

Agreed -- we have a good chance to take these guys down.

Paul

Valposter

Great draw!  Good luck Valpo Baseball!!!!!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

jetz

The games are all on ESPN3 this weekend...at least the first couple.  I'm not sure if the Big Ten Network will pick up the IU game, but probably not since ESPN has the rights....It's a better set up for us than last year as far as game times.  If you remember, our Purdue game was delayed by a 22 inning contest that was played immediately before our game.  That messed us up with the very late start time, in my opinion.  This year, there are five or six hours between the two start times on Friday, so we should go on schedule.  Also, there will be a gathering for fans, parents, and families at a Bloomington watering hole at 3:30 on Friday.  I will nail down the location today and post it here.  All are welcome, and the spot will be close to Kaufman Stadium.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

I am hoping that we pull out the first game and win the regional, but at the very least expect a win this year like softball :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Quote from: valpotx on May 28, 2013, 11:23:56 AMI am hoping that we pull out the first game and win the regional, but at the very least expect a win this year like softball :)

We will.....I'm confident!!!!!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

bbtds

Quote from: jetz on May 28, 2013, 10:27:12 AM
The games are all on ESPN3 this weekend...at least the first couple.  I'm not sure if the Big Ten Network will pick up the IU game, but probably not since ESPN has the rights....It's a better set up for us than last year as far as game times.  If you remember, our Purdue game was delayed by a 22 inning contest that was played immediately before our game.  That messed us up with the very late start time, in my opinion.  This year, there are five or six hours between the two start times on Friday, so we should go on schedule.  Also, there will be a gathering for fans, parents, and families at a Bloomington watering hole at 3:30 on Friday.  I will nail down the location today and post it here.  All are welcome, and the spot will be close to Kaufman Stadium.

Suggestion. South Bloomington watering hole

http://www.satellite-sightseer.com/id/5811

It's between Hwy 37 and Lake Monroe.

Take south Walnut St turnoff--off 37--then immediate right on Empire Mill Rd. Go straight at the fork in the road on an old 1 lane country lane back to the quarry.  It's the perfect watering hole this time of year.

Another "watering hole" closer to Kaufman is Dr. Kinsey's house at 1320 E. First Street in Bloomington.  But I digress.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Kinsey

bbtds

ml2

For anyone in the Valpo area...

If you want to wish the team well before they head down to Bloomington, they will be leaving from Emory Bauer Field at 3pm CT this afternoon.

bbtds

TICKET INFORMATION
Reserved All-Session - $77 • Reserved Single-Session - $15
General All-Session - $63 • General Single-Session - $12
Student/Young All-Session - $35 • Student/Youth - $8
For more ticket information, contact the IU Ticket Office at 1-866-IUSPORTS.

http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/index.php?/topic/9813-iu-to-host-ncaa-baseball-regional-may-31-june-3/

Valposter

Quote from: bbtds on May 29, 2013, 01:18:04 PMTICKET INFORMATION Reserved All-Session - $77 • Reserved Single-Session - $15 General All-Session - $63 • General Single-Session - $12 Student/Young All-Session - $35 • Student/Youth - $8 For more ticket information, contact the IU Ticket Office at 1-866-IUSPORTS. http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/index.php?/topic/9813-iu-to-host-ncaa-baseball-regional-may-31-june-3/
Great info......thanks bbtds!!!!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

You have to love it when your team is one of the best at throwing strikes.  It is great to be able to throw your fastball through a brick wall, but if you can't spot it, it doesn't mean anything.  I absolutely hate games where there are tons of walks.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Looks like IU's pitcher is a 6'10" righty.  That will be a challenge for anyone that has never hit off a really tall pitcher.  It says that he throws in the upper 80's, but it will seem like low 90's because of his reach.  I always go back to hitting off of Chris Young in HS, who is also a 6'10" righty (I believe he is with the Nationals now), and how impossible it was to get a read on the ball.  I sure hope that we have better luck off of this guy!
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

I heard that the VU supporters, led by the parents of this years team, will be meeting at Nick's English Hut on Kirkwood.  http://www.nicksenglishhut.com/aboutus.html

bbtds

Just saw a notice of a tailgate event in Bloomington.

Friday, May 31
4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET
Bart Kaufman Field Parking Lot
1873 N. Fee Lane
Bloomington, IN 47408

The tailgate will be located in the Bart Kaufman Field parking lot under the tent designated for Valparaiso Univrsity. Please find a map indicating the location of our tailgate on our registration page. Tickets for the tailgate are $25, or $20 for current Valpo students, children 12 and under, and young alumni (graduated in 2003 or later). A cash bar will be available for the purchase of alcoholic beverages.

Space for the tailgate is limited so register online or by calling the Office of Alumni Relations at 219-464-5142 or 1-800-833-6792, ext. 23.

Still need game tickets or want more informationon the tournament? Please click here.

jetz

Quote from: bbtds on May 30, 2013, 07:22:06 PM
Just saw a notice of a tailgate event in Bloomington.

Friday, May 31
4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET
Bart Kaufman Field Parking Lot
1873 N. Fee Lane
Bloomington, IN 47408

The tailgate will be located in the Bart Kaufman Field parking lot under the tent designated for Valparaiso Univrsity. Please find a map indicating the location of our tailgate on our registration page. Tickets for the tailgate are $25, or $20 for current Valpo students, children 12 and under, and young alumni (graduated in 2003 or later). A cash bar will be available for the purchase of alcoholic beverages.

Space for the tailgate is limited so register online or by calling the Office of Alumni Relations at 219-464-5142 or 1-800-833-6792, ext. 23.

Still need game tickets or want more informationon the tournament? Please click here.

Sorry all.  I was out working the last four days and have been unable to get you all an update on the pregame festivities.  Here's the lineup:  We were going to go to Nick's English Pub near the IU campus Friday afternoon.  The Alumni Association then called and offered to have all fans join them in a catered tailgate complete with grilled food and a cash bar.  This tailgate is what we as a parent group decided to go with on Friday.  They are asking anyone who would like to join in to register (and pay) ahead of time so they can cater appropriately.  Click the link below to do that.  Prices range from $15-$25 per person, and the cash bar is above and beyond all of that.  We will also take walk ups.

http://alumni.online.valpo.edu/s/1347/index.aspx?sid=1347&gid=1&pgid=800&content_id=610

Should be a great time.  A tent will be provided.  Looks like a chance of a passing thunderstorm.  BTW, we are also planning to meet at Nick's on Saturday, beginning three hours prior to our scheduled game, whenever that will be.  Let's hope it's the late game!
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

Best one liner of Valpo baseball history possibly?

"From a hitting standpoint, the biggest thing we have noticed is that he throws with his right arm instead of his left. We're just going to focus on that," Vavra noted.

This was in response to a question about how they felt about facing IU's #2 pitcher instead of their #1 ace.  This is right on par for me with the photo-bombing that the University of Cincinnati baseball kids did this year during end of game interviews.  If you still haven't seen it, you need to.

I will give the younger part of my generation one thing, they are extremely creative and funny :).

Not to be too selfish, but let's give me a wedding present this weekend by winning at least one game ;).  It will be hard not looking at my phone for video tomorrow during the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.  Same for Saturday during wedding prep and ceremony/reception.  Someone cheer extra loud for me from their PC/Mac!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on May 30, 2013, 10:35:33 PMThis was in response to a question about how they felt about facing IU's #2 pitcher instead of their #1 ace.
That IS pretty good...but I thought we were facing the #1 what with the whole B1G Pitcher of the Year award and all.

Although, if they're all good, that's kind of like having to face Sanchez or Scherzer instead of Verlander.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

I guess they consider DeNato their ace, with a 2.52 ERA.  Their third starter comes in at 3.07 or so.  DeNato appears to be more of a strikeout pitcher (69 ks in 88 innings), with the big guy being more pitch to contact (51 ks in 88 innings).  Overall, it looks like they are not an overpowering staff, but probably spot the ball well to get groundouts and lazy flyballs.  Only one guy approaches the 1 k/IP ratio you look for in a power pitcher.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

thanks, and congrats, tex!  that honeymoon will give us all a chance to catch up with your stats :)

Princess Bride - The Wedding

valporun

First of all, Congrats, valpotx!!

Secondly, I turned on the Florida-Austin Peay game on ESPN3, and they are currently in a weather delay, so not sure how long this will impact things for the start of the Valpo-IU game, or if the games will even be played today. Good luck to the Crusaders in Game 1, hope we get a couple of wins in this weekend.

historyman

The APSU/Florida game started about 1 1/4 hours late and the base paths seem extremely slick as 2 different Gator base runners have over slid going into second base. It seems it would behoove all Valpo players to check out the conditions on all parts of the field before the game starts. 

EDIT: Now a Governor has over slid at second base and was called out and had beaten the throw.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Austin Peay beats FL 4-3 on a 3 run 8th inning HR!  Loser of our game plays the Gators, while the winner gets the Govs
"Don't mess with Texas"