• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #7 - Home vs. Drake Bulldogs

Started by VULB#62, October 11, 2014, 09:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUDad

Good point received, USC. I tend to cheer for underdogs. Time to move on to Morehead St.

usc4valpo

no problem my friend - this team is growing.  At the end your son and these guys will be just fine.

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 19, 2014, 04:52:32 PM
Dad, I think you are being overly sensitive.  One player - Staal - was being critiqued by one person.  He had a bad game, and that cannot be sugarcoated.  Staal will tell you he had a crappy game and that he could play better. I heard he was hurt; maybe he'll recover next week.   I thought tx's critique was a little overboard and a little humorous, but so what (In all fun, I disagree with his comment - there were some really, really bad QBs who played at Valpo in the 80's).  In reality, he cares about the team and wants them to be successful.  We all want to see this team succeed.

Think of it this way - if no one critiques, then no one really cares. 

I call it as I see it.  I don't think that I went overboard at all in the moment, as I was being honest about what I was watching,  That truthfully was the worst VU QB performance I have watched since I came to know VU in 1999.  Then again, before we received video, it had been a few years since I was able to watch a game, versus radio/live stats.  Therefore, I had to read into Todd's vocal tone on passes, to see if they were truly terrible passes or not, from the 2004 season until around 2009/2010.

I do it with myself as well in my adult baseball league.  I hit a HR my first AB today, and then struck out on a really crappy curveball, and gave myself as much sh!t as I gave Staal ;).  Overall, as said before, I thought that our defense played fantastic, and the team has gotten better on a whole. 

I used to get called out for having 'brown and gold-colored' glasses, now I make an honest critical comment, and I am not supportive.  Give me a break lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

I recommend that we all transition over to the Game #8 post and start looking ahead.  The water that went under the bridge is miles downstream.

BBTDS/LAA ---- time for an imbedded image: maybe a covered Vermont bridge, the Hoover dam, the Gallatin River outside of Bozeman, Montana, whatever.

bbtds

Gallatin River, Bozeman

Looks calming and serene.

FloridaFootball

The Defensive players should have been featured on the post game press conference.  And you cant tell me that one of the best receivers in the PFL last year cant get a sniff on this years team after all of the drop passes that I saw on Saturday.  We need to stretch the field for the underneath game to work with our small slot receivers to work.   Are there that many receivers on this team better than Gladney? Do you want to win now or are you playing your guys to get experience for next year coach? 

usc4valpo

no biigie tx - you were correct on your assessment.  He had a bad day.  Some members are a little upset.  We will survive.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: FloridaFootball on October 19, 2014, 08:33:42 PM
The Defensive players should have been featured on the post game press conference.  And you cant tell me that one of the best receivers in the PFL last year cant get a sniff on this years team after all of the drop passes that I saw on Saturday.  We need to stretch the field for the underneath game to work with our small slot receivers to work.   Are there that many receivers on this team better than Gladney? Do you want to win now or are you playing your guys to get experience for next year coach? 

This is the type of crap that must stop.  Every pass examined, every decision questioned.  The notion that the coach is on a very short lease or that he and his staff have an agenda toward one player or the next only serves to further divide an already precarious football legacy.  We need to give the coach and his staff a fair shake, plain and simple.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

dbtts5@aol.com

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 19, 2014, 02:49:24 PM
OK, you guys need to lighten up a little bit.  It was a tough loss, but these guys are improving and showing potential.  The games are more competitive, they are much better coached than under Osteen, and now we are getting mad over close games.  That is a better attitude than last year. We are not seeing 72-12 losses.  Guys, this is going to take time. The talent pool is low and this team does not have a lot of depth - let's be realistic here.  There cup board was not exactly full when Cecchini got here. 

Campbell is a better team this year.  Drake could have been a nice W, but if the defense continues to play like that, they will win a couple more games. Staal will be better I am sure.

As for the critiquing, I want them to win but I am a realist.  There was no way this team would win 6 or 7 games.  Again, a 4 win season would exceed expectations.  After that, then Cecchini can focus on getting players that meet his needs.
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 19, 2014, 02:49:24 PM
OK, you guys need to lighten up a little bit.  It was a tough loss, but these guys are improving and showing potential.  The games are more competitive, they are much better coached than under Osteen, and now we are getting mad over close games.  That is a better attitude than last year. We are not seeing 72-12 losses.  Guys, this is going to take time. The talent pool is low and this team does not have a lot of depth - let's be realistic here.  There cup board was not exactly full when Cecchini got here. 

Campbell is a better team this year.  Drake could have been a nice W, but if the defense continues to play like that, they will win a couple more games. Staal will be better I am sure.

As for the critiquing, I want them to win but I am a realist.  There was no way this team would win 6 or 7 games.  Again, a 4 win season would exceed expectations.  After that, then Cecchini can focus on getting players that meet his needs.

I have been a Valpo FB Dad for 5 seasons.  This season's defense has shown a lot of improvement, but the offense has declined.  There is a lot more experience, talent and depth at WR than we have seen this season.  Hoffman didn't always recognize when to throw the ball away, but he did a good job of distributing the ball to many different receivers.  Using multiple receivers spreads the defense, creates more favorable match ups and opens up holes for the RBs.  The inconsistency with the passing game, and interceptions may be a product of the QB trying to force the ball to 1 or 2 receivers every play (in multiple coverage).  Rotating receivers promotes player development, and ensures that WRs have fresher legs than the DBs in the 4th quarter.  :twocents:

FWalum

Well I guess we are finding out that quite a few people (players, parents, etc.) read the forum but don't generally post or perhaps even register.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpochgo

If you watch the postgame press conference I felt Coach Cecc was honest and accurate about what happened in the second half of the game.  He stated that Drake's defensive line was dominant over our offensive line and they were able to rush with 4 and drop 7 players into coverage. That explains why it was difficult for the Valpo receivers to get open. 

I actually told my friends at halftime that the failed extra point and us having to settle for a field goal instead of a TD when we were deep inside the redzone could cost us the game.  I still feel that those 5 points cost us as Valpo would have been leading 14-3 at halftime vs. being up only 9-3.  There wouldn't have been a need to pass late in the 4th quarter and we would have won 14-10.  In my opinion Drake got lucky getting out of Brown Field with a victory; yet winning is a mindset and our team has to believe they are winners before it will actually start happening on a regular basis.

Campbell has really turned their program around in their coaches second year and I think Valpo can have similar success in time.......