• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #2: CCSU @ VUFB, 9/14, 1:00

Started by VULB#62, August 30, 2019, 09:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

2100 is actually a good attendance consider the results of the football program in the past decade or 2.

VULB#62

Just starting to analyze the box score cuz I missed the second half stream. Initial reaction: This loss has to be laid at the feet of the offense. Q3 and the score is 13-14 CCSU. We throw 3 interceptions in the remainder of the second half - one a pick six.

We have an undersized DL that can't be expected to hold ground forever. The Offense just gave CC too many opportunities to pound us.

Here is the bottom line as I actually saw it in the limited time I was able watch the game (Q1 & Q2). Theoretically we could have gone into the locker room ahead 17-14.  But a missed XP and FG along with a dumb pic thrown on 1 & 10 to inside the CC 20 with 1:18 left in the half resulted in a measly 6 points.

Chris is just so inconsistent. He throws some great balls and then throws dumb stuff. But it is incredible that the dumb stuff almost always winds up killing us. Maybe more work and continued support from the staff will help him with slowing down the game and making better decisions, but I am not too  optimistic right now.

JD24

The offense looked much better yesterday even if the results don't show it. Much more organized and confident looking.

In an odd way, this was the best I've seen Duncan look. He made some really good throws. He does seem to make some throws in which he decides he's throwing it no matter what such as the pick on the fake spike. I also wonder about the play call on the interception when he was throwing to Stablein. That is a tough throw and tough route to get separation on. So we have a guy who's playing his first real action and we run him on a route which the QB demonstrated last year he has trouble throwing to with Jean Rene running the route? Is this kid supposed to be fast or big or physical? Because unless the throw is perfect, it is a setup for an incompletion or pick. How about giving the WR and easy pitch and catch to get his feet on the ground. Cut down on the mistakes and have the coaches put him in winable situations and Duncan may be ok.

I like the personnel with Boxrucker and Cartales with Cartales as more of a wing and receiving threat. I haven't seen any "dynamics" out of the WRs to this point. Larose had a couple of nice catches. Reese I thought was a bit all over the place. I thought at least one or two he should come down with and he didn't. He may have the most pure ability to get the ball down the field based on what I've seen so far.

Defensively, there were times they were just out athleted. Third and long and their receiver pulls one down 25 yards down the field after the QB had all day to throw. Long runs after breakdowns at the point of attack and their guy is just faster than our DBs. There aren't too many PFL teams which will do that to each other.

The team will win games in the PFL. Maybe half of them. Not sure the league is all that great this year based on early results.

VULB#62

"Out atheted" may not be a real term but it works for me  ;D. I agree. For instance, their edge rushers were constantly putting pressure on Chris largely because their first step was quicker than our tackles' and, as a result,  our tackles could not get proper position on their drop — so they often times wound up pushing the rusher right at Chris instead around him. I was also impressed by CC DBs.  Great speed and quick closure compared to our receivers. We couldn't get any real separation. CC was picked third in the NEC preseason balloting. It will be interesting to see where they finally wind up.

It is clear to me at this point that Fox and staff have a huge recruiting task ahead in the next two years to upgrade DL length and size, OL athleticism, QB quality and team speed among other things. That is not a surprise though. He had little time to recruit his own players this cycle.

Like you, 24, I like his straight forward approach to responsibility and his animation on the sideline.

valpofb16

62 & 24 you said all that really needs to be said. Few tidbits from the game

QB: Same Duncan looked confident and threw some nice balls, was interesting Mullen got garbage time snaps, Mullen season debut
RB: Cartales, Boxrucker got lion share of carries, Allison, Haugh, Early played
WR: Cartales targeted more than any, Larose debut 4/60, Koehler 4/43, Lopez had 2/23, Not much Brewer in box score weeks 1&2, Stablein, Berkemeier played
TE: Kluck started, Bittner had a big catch
OL: Played 5, couldn't get a push appears this will be our 5 moving forward (Lundberg,Vas, Jarnigan, Russell, Byrd)
DL: Nice to have Goebel back, wore down in the second half
LB:Lack of tackle #'s in the Box Score Messler had most with five
DB: Booker once again was outstanding ,Blocked kick for touchdown, forced fumble, 8 tackles.
K/P: Latsonas is really struggling here

Season Debuts:
#4 Mullen
#17 Larose
#22 Lopez
#34 Bishop
#91 Goebel

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 15, 2019, 10:37:57 AM
K/P: Latsonas is really struggling

This really bothers me. This should not be happening. As a former long snapper, I keep coming back to the snap and placement pieces. Our LS doesn't seem to have trouble with punt snaps, but the snap and hold on PATs and FGs seems off somehow. I wonder if these snaps are done blind, i.e., the snapper raises his head just before the snap to see who to block and relies on muscle memory to guide the ball. I never raised my head. I always watched the snap go into the holder's hands as my followthrough.  I was coached that my guards would always close over me so my only job was getting the ball perfectly on target.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 15, 2019, 10:37:57 AM62 & 24 you said all that really needs to be said. Few tidbits from the game QB: Same Duncan looked confident and threw some nice balls, was interesting Mullen got garbage time snaps, Mullen season debut RB: Cartales, Boxrucker got lion share of carries, Allison, Haugh, Early played WR: Cartales targeted more than any, Larose debut 4/60, Koehler 4/43, Lopez had 2/23, Not much Brewer in box score weeks 1&2, Stablein, Berkemeier played TE: Kluck started, Bittner had a big catch OL: Played 5, couldn't get a push appears this will be our 5 moving forward (Lundberg,Vas, Jarnigan, Russell, Byrd) DL: Nice to have Goebel back, wore down in the second half LB:Lack of tackle #'s in the Box Score Messler had most with five DB: Booker once again was outstanding ,Blocked kick for touchdown, forced fumble, 8 tackles. K/P: Latsonas is really struggling here Season Debuts: #4 Mullen #17 Larose #22 Lopez #34 Bishop #91 Goebel
Thanks for this update. Something to look into:
Brewer, Allison and Turner went out with injuries and didn't return. Todd mentioned Brewer in a knee brace, Allison in a boot (I may have that backwards). I can't say I was overwhelmed by either Brewer or Allison during the few times they could be observed during the first two games but both guys looked like they could run which I think this team really needs (the ability to get the ball downfield quickly). So these guys may develop into very useful pieces if they are healthy. Turner, of course, would be a big part of the defense missing if that is the case.

I don't worry about OL and DL play in these games. They are simply going to be overmatched with the typical talent level difference. This also naturally affects other parts of the game as well.

What I would like to see is some more or...more accurately...some big play ability. One reason the score was so close early was the 9 minute 15 play 39 yard (!!!!) "drive" at the start. Keepaway is nice I guess but you have to get the ball down the field better than that. That is really hard to do (15 plays 39 yards) and eventually there is going to be a breakdown.

Whatever the issue with the kicking game is which seems to be more snap/hold than kick at this point based on watching the sideline interaction yesterday, it definitely needs to get fixed quick. I think all of the misses have been pushes to the right.

VULB#62

Just watched the post game presser. Fox was definitely pissed and it showed. 180 degrees from our two previous HCs.

usc4valpo

I like his passion and he seems like a real human being. He is also undoubtedly learning on the job.

valpofb16

I like that Fox is mad after losses. You should be mad after losses. He's a competitor

8th year around program and I'll say this.  Carlson would say losses were a lot closer than scoreboard and we were close to turning corner. Cecchini would say the team was young until they weren't anymore, then they were injured.

Fox is saying we didn't execute plain and simple. He's visibly upset about loss and saying coaches and players, need to get better.

I think VU is in the beginning stages of being in solid hands

usc4valpo

I think Fox might be ok, but right now the talent level is not there at the QB and WR spots.

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on September 14, 2019, 09:45:37 PM
Why, on a sunny beautiful Saturday afternoon, could the Crusaders draw more than 2110 to the game?  Sad.
When was the last time that students spent four years at VU with a winning football team each season?  We have no winning tradition to build a fan base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

Generally, speaking, the student body and the alumni base do not care about the football program. We do on this board but we are the exception rather than the rule. Also, the program has sucked for awhile and you can only ask for patience for so long. 2100 is a very respectable attendance given the situation and status of football at Valparaiso. start winning and provide a decent product, and the attendance will increase.

valpofb16

3 drives in our offense has a whopping 4 yards

Long year is an understatement

valpofb16

17-0 Truman beginning of 2nd

Our offense probably could not put up 21 points in Indiana 6A high school football

Defense, Truman moving ball at will

Special Teams, Punt return for touchdown.

Woah.

valpotx

Quote from: covufan on September 21, 2019, 10:24:39 AM
Why, on a sunny beautiful Saturday afternoon, could the Crusaders draw more than 2110 to the game?  Sad.
When was the last time that students spent four years at VU with a winning football team each season?  We have no winning tradition to build a fan base.

Pretty much each season when I was on campus ('99-'03 football seasons), which resulted in 3k-5k folks each home game.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on September 22, 2019, 12:44:45 PM
Quote from: covufan on September 21, 2019, 10:24:39 AM

Pretty much each season when I was on campus ('99-'03 football seasons), which resulted in 3k-5k folks each home game.

I was there for a Macchi QBed game  vs. Robert Morris ( a win).  No room on the Valpo side. Had to sit on the Morris side.

But you prove the point, Tex.  Win and fans show up. Win a lot and even more show up.