• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Moving into the 2016 Football Season

Started by VULB#62, July 28, 2016, 08:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2624

Brandon Vickrey ‏@BrandonVickrey 41m41 minutes ago

Kicker Jake Newman has transferred to Miami of Ohio. Cecchini said Jake Simpson has been phenomenal at kicker. #PFL
0 retweets 0 likes
Brandon Vickrey ‏@BrandonVickrey 58m58 minutes ago

QB Dalton Stokes (torn labrum) doubtful for the season opener. Didn't play in yesterday's scrimmage, but arm strength is getting better.
0 retweets 0 likes
Brandon Vickrey ‏@BrandonVickrey 1h1 hour ago

Ryan Shea (ankle) and Jean Rene (turf toe) also missed Saturday's Valpo football scrimmage. #PFL
0 retweets 0 likes

WR Frank Catrine is out with a knee injury. He's doubtful for the season opener at Illinois State. #PFL
0 retweets 0 likes

.@valpoufootball coach Dave Cecchini has named Ryan Clarke @Clarke_Kent10 the starting QB for the Sept. 3 season opener at Illinois St. #PFL

valpotx

Will Newman play much at Miami (OH)?  Maybe an attempt at playing FCS scholarship?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2624

Quote from: valpotx on August 21, 2016, 09:09:47 PMWill Newman play much at Miami (OH)?  Maybe an attempt at playing FCS scholarship?

I get the impression this was a last minute thing at least from Valpo's point of view. He's still on the Valpo roster which I assume will be updated prior to the season beginning since there are a couple of changes which need to be made. I'm not even sure he's going to play football although he will probably need to sit out a season if he does.

Brandon

Newman is a graduate transfer, so he won't have to sit out a year. He finished his undergrad in three years.

IndyValpo

My daughter goes to Miami and there is a major battle with 5 or 6 freshman and sophomores. They have a combined 1 FG and several kick offs. Though Newman is not on the roster I would think he has a chance.

VULB#62

Good for him.  Hope he gets some scholarship aid to make it worth his while.  He was a steal for us originally as a freshman as I recall.  The Red Hawks last year were 3-9 overall and only 2-6 in the Mac.

VU2624

Quote from: Brandon on August 22, 2016, 09:21:59 AMNewman is a graduate transfer, so he won't have to sit out a year. He finished his undergrad in three years.

I thought I recalled hearing that. Thanks.

IndyValpo

6 missing from initially published roster:

RB Bastin
RB Bobo
WR Hill
DL McGinnis
LB McPherson
K Newman

valpotx

I believe that Bastin is a big loss, based on how coach always speaks about him.  Where did he go?  Good for Newman in graduating from Valpo, and trying one last shot at FBS!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on August 23, 2016, 10:43:23 PM
I believe that Bastin is a big loss, based on how coach always speaks about him.  Where did he go?  Good for Newman in graduating from Valpo, and trying one last shot at FBS!

Speculation: Grayson could just be finishing out his education at Valpo (?)

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 24, 2016, 08:00:18 AM
Quote from: valpotx on August 23, 2016, 10:43:23 PMI believe that Bastin is a big loss, based on how coach always speaks about him.  Where did he go?  Good for Newman in graduating from Valpo, and trying one last shot at FBS!
Speculation: Grayson could just be finishing out his education at Valpo (?)

Graysin is still at school. I think he will remain with the team in some capacity. He's in the team photo which was posted on twitter if you look carefully.

I think at least two of the others are still in school as well.

vumsb

I talked to Grayson at the scrimmage on Saturday. He was at camp and playing well. He was excited to have his knee healthy and ready for senior season. Unfortunately during the second week of camp his concussion symptoms came back from the concussion he sustained at last year's Drake game that took him out for the rest of the season. Trainer took him to the neurologist late last week and Dr. told Grayson he should not play football anymore. He was very disappointed. He told me he had spent the summer rehabbing his knee and was 100% healthy. At that time he was still on the roster. Huge loss to the running game.

VULB#62

I can relate.  At one point in my career at VU, I broke my neck (cervical spine injury) and never played in another Valpo game.  But I stayed with the program till graduation, was a student assistant coach and scout to hold onto my scholarship (er.. grant in aid).  i cried a lot that first week, but eventually it all turned out OK.  If he stays with the program, and I'm pretty sure he will (cuz "that's what you do in a herd") Grayson will bounce back and be an asset to the players and coaches.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VU2624 on August 21, 2016, 05:30:49 PMKicker Jake Newman has transferred to Miami of Ohio

Miami just published their 2 deep for this weekend game. No mention of Newman, there or on the roster....

bbtds

Illinois State beats Northwestern. Do we at least get some RPI points are whatever they call it.