• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #6 @ Central Michigan ESPN3 3:30PM WVUR 95.1

Started by VUBBFan, December 12, 2020, 02:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusader05

Quote from: PlumStreetBum on December 12, 2020, 07:06:40 PM

But I'm getting the feeling that Lottich's system *requires* players with very high basketball IQs (Ognacevic, Barrett, Krikke, Clay, Edwards, Sackey) and if we can't fill the roster with them we round out with raw athleticism (Kpegeol, Robinson, McMillan, Morgan).

Which makes me wonder why crunch time sees guys from the second group on the floor. Maybe my read is all wrong, or maybe the hope is for athletic heroics to clinch the W... but I want to see the first group more when the chips are down.

My guess is that the level of experience is still higher with the second group and he thinks it balances out.

valpotx

I missed this one, but will watch now.  I've never watched a game that I already know the result, so this will be interesting!

I just noticed that CMU lost to Flagler by 19, which is a D-2 school coached by former VU Special Assistant Chad Warner.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

I'm getting a head of myself, I know, but, I can't wait for Cam Palese to hit campus. A 6'5" point guard.  Yesterday our point guards were just bad. They had Lavonte Dority and we had Daniel.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

nkvu

Quote from: vu72 on December 13, 2020, 09:12:42 AM
I'm getting a head of myself, I know, but, I can't wait for Cam Palese to hit campus. A 6'5" point guard.  Yesterday our point guards were just bad. They had Lavonte Dority and we had Daniel.

Agree. Further, we don't seem to have that crunch time player who can create his own shot and hit it when the game is on the line.  We have several guys who might want to be that guy, but none have shown they can do it successfully. Maybe he will emerge as the season goes on. What I see right now is a team made up of role players with some different skills who can succeed when put in the right situation, but no one who can just take over and win it for us.

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on December 13, 2020, 09:12:42 AM

What was the story on Mileek?

On the +/- scale Daniel had our best number. Yes I know that is only part of the story but surprisingly Gordon also had a +6 number. An oversimplification but looks like our starters produced and our bench really struggled. My take is for the team to succeed Kpegeol and Edwards need to be predictable contributors. Neither played awful but when slatted to be a spark off the bench guy then you'd better be bringing some fire with that opportunity. Some of our defensive rotations with newer faces were also a bit clumsy.

I still do not know what to make of Helm. Obviously he can play but do his minutes help the team or slow the development of others? What is his ceiling? Thoughts?

VUGrad1314

This could be an uninformed opinion based on mostly box score watching but I think maybe we should be giving more minutes to our young guys (Barrett Ognacevic etc.) Also I hate to be so down on the direction of the program because it really does look like we're recruiting some real talent but you have to wonder if we don't turn it around soon if Krikke and Clay are going to want to stick around and build with us. I wouldn't be surprised if high majors are already sniffing around and our on court performance hasn't done much to make me think that they would want to stay if an offer came along.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on December 13, 2020, 10:36:16 AMWhat was the story on Mileek?

If anyone can figure that guy's psyche and what makes him suddenly "hot" hitting threes and not making stupid fouls that keep him out of the game then we need the genius on the staff immediately.

JBC1824

I dont think we have to worry about high majors stealing either Clay or Krikke at this point in the season. Neither has performed well enough to draw their attention.

I agree we should be focusing on player development as opposed to squeaking out every last win. That means Gordon, Robinson, and Mileek take a back seat to the young guys. Id argue the young guys are better anyway. The truth is Gordon, Robinson, and Mileek have been major disapointments, and to me represent the recent decline of our program all too well.

Start JO and feature Edwards and Goodnews prominently off the bench. Dont want to see much of Gordon, Robinson, or Mileek at all. Id even play Emil over Mileek. 
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

valpotx

Anyone watching the Last Chance U Basketball version on Netflix?  It was released last week, and follows last season with East LA College (JuCo).  Malik Muhammad was featured a lot, and he ended up getting a scholly from CMU, and played 10 minutes against us.  He fouled out in that 10 minutes of action in his first game against us, and didn't do anything of value, but seemed to finish strong over the rest of the season.  Two players from that team also ended up at Chicago State, in addition to USC, Sacramento State, Long Beach State, and a few other places.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4703561/malik-muhammad
"Don't mess with Texas"