• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #6 @ Central Michigan ESPN3 3:30PM WVUR 95.1

Started by VUBBFan, December 12, 2020, 02:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUBBFan

Holy Cow we have a game starting in les than an hour and a half. Did we forget. Well here's a begining of a the game thread.

VUSWIM08-12

We're all slacking with initiating these game threads! High scoring game . I'm in Valpo for work , do any restaurants or anywhere in town stream VU games ??

Valpo 84
CMU 77

bbtds

bbtds

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on December 12, 2020, 02:37:55 PM
We're all slacking with initiating these game threads! High scoring game . I'm in Valpo for work , do any restaurants or anywhere in town stream VU games ??

Valpo 84
CMU 77

Maybe B-dubs if you ask. Since it's ESPN3 they might not know how to find it.

VUBBFan

I was thinking B-Dubs too. You may try Radius downtown the owner is a season ticket holder so maybe. I'd call them first though before going.

AlaskaCrusader19

It would be great to get a road win to get back to .500. Should be a good one!

NativeCheesehead

With a mostly young / inexperienced team we are just going to have to get used to these kind of runs. Both for and against us.

NativeCheesehead

Credit to CMU for hitting them, but this perimeter defense is horrible.

truth219

We're going to have a rough go in the mvc...that half of basketball was trash

AlaskaCrusader19

What exactly is supposed to be the strength of this team? They look lost on the perimeter on both sides. This isn't a good three-point shooting team. Kpeogel's attempt at the end of the half was an accurate summary of what we saw in the first 20 minutes. Hopefully Lottich figures it out...

Chairback

We struggle when Daniel is not in the game.  Helms can't defend or score. Just brings it up the court. He's given up some wide open threes.  Ziggy is not a D1 player.  Can wait for the guard we have coming  next year.

All CMU 3's have been wide open looks and they've hit them.

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 12, 2020, 04:16:55 PM
Credit to CMU for hitting them, but this perimeter defense is horrible.

The perimeter defense could be better, but our interior defense was awful. Help that came too late, not boxing out, etc.  Offensively, too much standing around, very few baskets in the flow of the offense. Just long jump shots and one-on-one drives to the basket and tough, forced up shots.  All fixable in the second half.

VALPO LI

Devontae Lane is owning Valpo.
14 Pt's first half.  We need to establish an inside game.  Chucking up 3's has not worked for Valpo so far.
Shine on Vu

Valpofamfan

We are making some really bad decisions- this team is pretty young though so hopefully that will be better by the time we get to valley play

vok22

How is it that as fast as sackey is, people drive right around him on defense like he is a practice dummy.

NativeCheesehead

Overall I like the freshmen. The game is just a little too fast for them right now. A little too much thinking and not enough reacting. 

truth219

Most of our horizon league teams would have killed this cmu team...just saying. Any talent this coach produces transfer.

Valpofamfan

Then when sackey has the opportunity to drive hard into the free lane he throws a wild 3 attempt  :( :(

NativeCheesehead

When it comes to starting/ending runs, making great plays/terrible mistakes, Sackey is the new Ali Berdiel.

oklahomamick

We would have a better record if we played SIUE and Judson College more. 
CRUSADERS!!!

nkvu

Missed the first half (not sorry). Credit for coming back and giving themselves a chance, but couldn't get it done again when it counted.  I don't know what you can make of a game where so many fouls are called. I still don't see why Sackey is hoisting up threes in crunch time (or any other time for that matter). 

wh

Our freshmen and sophomores played 70% of our minutes and scored 75% of our points. Two excellent recruiting classes with great promise. Give them time.

justducky

Quote from: nkvu on December 12, 2020, 05:37:56 PMMissed the first half

Me too but I'll try to watch it later tonight to see how we dug that deep a hole.

At this point in time I'm liking this freshman class as well as or better than the Yeo, Adekoya, Davidson, Williams, Peters bunch. I know that comparison is going pretty far out on a limb but just a few games in and we can all fully understand why each was recruited. Lots to look forward to.

VALPO LI

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 12, 2020, 05:36:21 PM
We would have a better record if we played SIUE and Judson College more. 

I'll take a losing record playing schools like Purdue, Vanderbilt, UIC and CMU over a winning record playing Judson, PNW, and Mount St. Joseph. ;)
Shine on Vu

PlumStreetBum

Agreed with nkvu, it's hard to draw too much from an ump-show like that.

But I'm getting the feeling that Lottich's system *requires* players with very high basketball IQs (Ognacevic, Barrett, Krikke, Clay, Edwards, Sackey) and if we can't fill the roster with them we round out with raw athleticism (Kpegeol, Robinson, McMillan, Morgan).

Which makes me wonder why crunch time sees guys from the second group on the floor. Maybe my read is all wrong, or maybe the hope is for athletic heroics to clinch the W... but I want to see the first group more when the chips are down.

Again, hard to divine much from this game given the lack of any cadence or flow, but if we're gonna fall back on "this is a young team", let's let the youth drive the bus.