• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Chicago state game

Started by truth219, November 20, 2012, 06:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

A win is a win and it is good that Capobianco played, but Valpo should never schedule and play Chicago State.  Chicago State, on multiple levels, is the worst D1 program in the country.  It is true that they should fall on their sword, but if people won't play them then they will have no choice but to leave D1.

bbtds

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/16585131-556/capobianco-well-worth-the-wait.html

Watch your number of story views if you don't already subscribe to the P-T. They are limited.

I believe the discontent with both Capobianco and Van Wijk is that they both missed what seemed to many fans to be easy "bunny" shots right under the basket. There seems to be a feeling that Valpo needs those "easy" baskets against tougher competition to win. I think you must look at the fact that many teams don't even get those so called "bunny" shots against Valpo.

And who wants to shoot bunnies anyway??  :P

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

Here are a few of the photos I took at the game:

valpopal

For those of you wondering, Kevin played though he was very sick. I took a number of photos of him on the bench, and he looked like he was completely out of it much of the time. It is amazing he played as well as he did. This is a picture where Kevin looked about as well as he did all evening, and you can still see he is obviously feeling pretty ill:

oklahomamick

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 24, 2012, 07:33:07 AM
A win is a win and it is good that Capobianco played, but Valpo should never schedule and play Chicago State.  Chicago State, on multiple levels, is the worst D1 program in the country.  It is true that they should fall on their sword, but if people won't play them then they will have no choice but to leave D1.

I see Notre Dame has Chicago State on their schedule.....
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on November 24, 2012, 09:08:52 AMI believe the discontent with both Capobianco and Van Wijk is that they both missed what seemed to many fans to be easy "bunny" shots right under the basket.

It was pretty painful to watch.  And KVW just didn't look good - looked a little disoriented - even on the sidelines he looked sort of... in a fog or a malaise or something.  I was relieved to hear that he was, indeed, not feeling well.

Some of it was missing close-in shots - never fun.  But some of it seemed to be shot and situation selection.  Sometimes, in a scrum, you just shouldn't go up for those shots.

KVW and Capo both got offensive boards out of this, and sometimes their persistence paid off.  (And, it was pretty amazing what shots Capo could sometimes get to land from _way_ under the basket).  But, they also often got sent home empty.

On the night KVW was 5/13 for 38.4%.  His worst shooting percentage (almost always two-point shots for KVW) since... Miami in the NIT.  And before that, more or less to a game against Milwaukee in January.  Well below his average, before Chicago State, of 59.4%.  Or his 61.7% clip last season.  A very rare performance.

Capo ended up 4/7.

The team was 19/42 or 45.2% from 2.  Again, well off their season average, before the game, of 53.5%.  Or last season's 55.2%.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on November 24, 2012, 10:06:27 AM
For those of you wondering, Kevin played though he was very sick. I took a number of photos of him on the bench, and he looked like he was completely out of it much of the time. It is amazing he played as well as he did. This is a picture where Kevin looked about as well as he did all evening, and you can still see he is obviously feeling pretty ill:

_Exactly_.

Quote from: agibson on November 24, 2012, 10:32:52 AMAnd KVW just didn't look good - looked a little disoriented - even on the sidelines he looked sort of... in a fog or a malaise or something.

agibson

Quote from: wh on November 24, 2012, 04:04:37 AMOur RPI dropped from 61 to 97 after the win.

I'm more amazed that our RPI rose as high as 61. On November 20, after the Kent State game, it was 109.  Our opponents must have had a couple of good games?

EddieCabot

For those of you wondering, Kevin played though he was very sick. I took a number of photos of him on the bench, and he looked like he was completely out of it much of the time. It is amazing he played as well as he did.

The Post Trib article from Thursday mentioned that both Broekhoff and Fernandez were ill for the Kent State game.  Is it just me, or does it seem like Valpo is constantly dealing with guys being under the weather?  After the rash of illnesses that impacted the team at the end of last season, I hope Bryce made sure everyone got flu shots this fall.

bbtds

Kevin: I think I know how I got sick. I accidently used Ryan's mouthpeice and you know what Vashil ate before Ryan dropped it on Vashil's seat.

Matt:Oh my god! I saw Vashil putting some voodoo spell on that mouthpeice before the game. He was using a live chicken I heard.

valpo4life

Based on the pictures it appears that there was a fairly good crowd last night, nice to see a solid turnout for a game over break!

valpotx

Against Chicago State, that is a pretty good crowd.
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

I was surprised by the good turnout. Hoping for more of the same tonight.

VULB#62

Box score said 2477. Zat real or inflated?

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 24, 2012, 05:41:12 PM
Box score said 2477. Zat real or inflated?

Only the attendance fairy knows for sure. Do you count all the coaches? Do you count the vendors and staff people? Do you count the bus driver and the ball boys? Do you count the referees? Many of them watch the game way too much and swallow their whistles. I'm sure there is always a logical reason for coming up with the numbers for attendance that they do. Right?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??

agibson

I wonder if they count staff and families - they never scan our ID's, just sort of look at them.  They _might_ be using clickers, but I'm not convinced...

Definitely a bigger crowd last night.  The numbers might not have been too much inflated.  The lower bleachers might have been 80% full.