• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Saint Louis 3:30 p.m. Chaifetz Arena St.Louis 12/2/12 game thread

Started by bbtds, November 25, 2012, 02:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU75

If you are willing to work through a minefield of popup ads and download offers  firstrowsports has a link to the game.

Valpo89

On my Comcast program guide, it is on Channel 414. It's not high-def, but it is on after the South Carolina-Kansas State game that tips off at 1 p.m.

agibson

Clicking through on the video from the St. Louis web pages, it seems like there is likely to be streaming video.

http://www.fansonly.com/schools/stlo/allaccess/?media=348090

But, it's $10/month.  Unless you already subscribe to CBSSports.com ULive.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

If all else fails, call your local sports bar and ask them if they have Fox Sports Midwest and will turn it on one of their TV's.  That's worked for me in a pinch.

valpotx

so if we sign up for the 1 month Billiken package, we will be able to view this game on the web?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Yes, you would valpotx, plus be able to watch as often as you want until the month runs out...

valpotx

Cool, just wanted to make sure that since it was on Fox Sports, that this game would not be excluded
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

I checked it out earlier, and it says "Premium" in bold yellow, plus it's a regional/local FOX Sports, not the national one.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

milanmiracle

Decent start for Valpo but if Buggs defender sags off any more he'll be in the paint. Clearly the scouting report says let him shoot.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

wh

What a terrible effort.  Nothing from Boggs, Bogan, Capo, Kinney  Nobody's playing Buggs.  They're smothering Ryan and not other player is making them pay.  Also, a very poor coaching effort.  No adjustments made to counter overplays on perimeter.  St. Louis looks like the 3-3 team they are.  We look like Chicago State.   Just telling it like it is.

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: vu72 on November 26, 2012, 10:49:39 PM
Quote from: atkins on November 26, 2012, 10:12:09 PM
If SLU plays up to its potential, we lose.  However, like Valpo, SLU has been inconsistent and has not performed at the expected level.  SLU is certainly beatable on its home floor, but note that Southern Illinois played a relatively good game against SLU and still lost handily.  Recently, SLU also hung in there with Kansas, which was all-world that night.   I have no doubt that Valpo would lose any game against Kansas by at least 20.  I would also hate to see our performance against any of the other top-ten teams.   

I know vu72 thinks we have no chance of being blown out this year (which may or may not be true), but SLU is the sort of team that can blow us out of the gym on any given day.  Let's hope we catch them on a merely mediocre day.  So far, I've not seen the consistency from Valpo that gives me the confidence to predict a victory against SLU. 

And you've seen consistency from whom??  It's early in the season.  we have the same talent level as St. Louis or anyone else on our schedule.  If, we lose it will be a close game, and we still won't be at full strength.  I know it is painful for some on this board to acknowledge how good we may be, but wait a short while and you will see a team capable of hanging with anyone, including Kansas.

Ok, I didn't want to be the one to say this, but I feel now that I have been forced into an uncomfortable position.  Anyone else getting the feeling that "vu72" is just trolling us?  It's a rare breed of trolling, but trolling none-the-less.  I would label it as the "well-intentioned troll"...taking on a positive but contrarian stance....if the troll is correct in his stance, he can gloat.  If he is incorrect, he a) stirs up dissension and b) can claim to be the "positive" poster who is actually being trolled. 

There is no other way to understand his comment above.  I have a feeling valpo04 will making a stop at the woodshed very soon.  Tough, but fair, as I like to say.

truth219

Valpo needs to make shots. Pay attention to the shot clock. Bobby isn't playing good

KL31NY

Maybe we'd be winning if Homer's son Bryce were coaching instead of Jim. See twitter pic for details

pic.twitter.com/y4Hn3gGf
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

truth219

Valpo looks bad. Really unprepared and clueless. Bobby can't make a shot to save christmas. Buggs looks terrible

govalpogo

St. Louis is currently my least favorite city in the world.  Between the 49ers and Valpo, today has been infuriating.  What's worse is that it's hardly St. Louis's fault, my teams have simply sucked on ice today.  No karma from the sports gods.

milanmiracle

The formula to beat Valpo is simple...

Ball denial for Broekhoff or double if necessary
Leave Buggs
Double the post
Make others beat you

Van Wijk / Broekhoff 20pts
Rest of team 29pts

Playing 4 on 5 really slows the offense down.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpotx

Quote from: milanmiracle on December 02, 2012, 05:18:12 PM
The formula to beat Valpo is simple...

Ball denial for Broekhoff or double if necessary
Leave Buggs
Double the post
Make others beat you

Yep, any team playing us will see this and we will have to adjust.  Hopefully when Dority is eligible, we will gain a PG who can shoot and still be a PG. 

Another poor road showing by us, as it could have been much worse than a 13 point loss.  As long as we beat Purdue-Calumet, IUPUI, Oakland, IPFW, and Missouri State, I will be happy with December.  I can stomach losses against SLU, UNM, and Murray State, as I now give us 1% chance of winning on their floors.
"Don't mess with Texas"

truth219

We looked aweful. I would have thought we would be better than we are. We look so bad. I can't get over it. Like I've stated before, our 2 gaurds are all average. They don't offer anything special. Capo isn't very talented. He can't shoot even though he thinks he can. Van wijk was really pressing in the post. 

EddieCabot

I have to believe Capobianco is still hurting ... only way to explain Bryce only getting him 10 minutes. 

vu72

Well we saw some of the "big" lineup and it didn't work.  I thought Kevin was awful, getting beat by his man and then throwing up some goofy shot.  Capo was equally bad and Erik, well, no comment.  Not sure why we didn't see more Jordan Coleman.

Dority will certainly help but our ball movement and lack of more athleticism is showing big time against better teams.  Upward and onward...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

DMvalpo18

Capo does have talent, I don't know why you think he has none. Well, he did shoot poorly today. I can see that being a reason. I believe he will improve from this. As for Buggs, it really hurts to know we are playing 4 on 5 because they know allowing him to shoot a three is likely to result in a brick or an airball.

HC

I think the problem is this years group of new faces isn't meshing as well or as quickly as last years.  We have too many guys getting too much playing time.  Something has to give.  Cory Johnson, errr Bobby Capobianco needs to get inside where he is effective and quit it with the threes (I said this last year about Edwards then he started hitting everything, heres hoping it happens again).