• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Volleyball Recruiting

Started by valpotx, November 27, 2012, 04:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

This also sounds like a great class, and an important one in losing Taylor Root after this season.  We have had some good liberos since the position was 'invented' and it sounds like the replacement will get 4 years to try and break what Taylor has done on the digs side. 

http://www.valpoathletics.com/volleyball/news/2012-13/12212/valpo-volleyball-bringing-in-five-newcomers-for-2013/
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Looks good.  The program may have missed out on one player this past year - two VU grads have a 6' 4" daughter playing at Oklahoma this year.

bbtds

Interesting! Rachel Bruinsma is the brother of Detroit basketball player Evan Bruinsma.

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/-6178169236973243420/rachel-bruinsma-carries-on-family-tradition-as-a-top-athlete-at-muskegon-western-michigan-christian/

One instance where Bruinsma could have gone nuts or gotten stronger came when she was a freshman and her brother Evan, now a 6-foot-8 junior forward on the University of Detroit's mens basketball team, was a senior at WMC.

Evan told her they could go inside when she made one basket.

Bruinsma, at 6-1, had a difficult time getting a shot over her much taller brother, and spent over an hour trying to get just one shot to fall without it getting swatted away by Evan, and with him encouraging her the whole way.

But she was determined to accomplish the tough test and learn from it, and eventually finished the task.

"I'm really excited about going to Valparaiso," said Bruinsma, who won a regional title in the high jump this past spring. "It just felt like where I fit in. It felt like me."

This will make the Detroit/Valpo battles just a tad more exciting next year.

LaPorteAveApostle

I find it interesting that bbtds of all people, made a post and didn't talk about the obvious:

Mrs. Neely, mother of Cam: the Bruins' ma...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 27, 2012, 07:38:57 PM
I find it interesting that bbtds of all people, made a post and didn't talk about the obvious:

Mrs. Neely, mother of Cam: the Bruins' ma...

I thought that was Mama Bear. Just a little too soft.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on November 27, 2012, 07:41:32 PMI thought that was Mama Bear. Just a little too soft.

THERE'S the bbtds I know! :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Volleyball has been a successful program but has failed to get over the "hump".  Hopefully this group, coupled with a strong returning bunch can get that first conference title and trip to the NCAAs.

It seems as though the recruiting success at Valpo goes beyond our obviously very good basketball class.  Look at tennis as an example, it is clearly a "step above" previous recruits:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mtennis/news/2012-13/12211/crusader-mens-tennis-signs-trio-of-highly-ranked-recruits/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on November 27, 2012, 08:41:09 PM
Volleyball has been a successful program but has failed to get over the "hump".  Hopefully this group, coupled with a strong returning bunch can get that first conference title and trip to the NCAAs.

It seems as though the recruiting success at Valpo goes beyond our obviously very good basketball class.  Look at tennis as an example, it is clearly a "step above" previous recruits:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mtennis/news/2012-13/12211/crusader-mens-tennis-signs-trio-of-highly-ranked-recruits/

BZZZT!

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1078.0

vu72

Arggg, I just can't keep ahead to tx!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jetz

Quote from: covufan on November 27, 2012, 04:58:59 PM
Looks good.  The program may have missed out on one player this past year - two VU grads have a 6' 4" daughter playing at Oklahoma this year.

I'm sure they know about it, but Valpo has a talented freshman on campus right now. She has a 6'10" brother on the VU basketball team and was "Miss Volleyball" in Ohio last year, or some equivalent.  She is pursuing other interests....ouch, baby!
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

Seriously?  A Miss Volleyball is not playing any sport right now?
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on November 28, 2012, 04:13:58 PM

She just wants to Capo off her life experiences before heading to the Volleyball Court?

jetz

Quote from: bbtds on November 28, 2012, 05:29:36 PM
Quote from: valpotx on November 28, 2012, 04:13:58 PM

She just wants to Capo off her life experiences before heading to the Volleyball Court?

She would rather biancall for a stage and screen job than play volleyball...
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

It looks like our Libero position is definitely set for the next 4 years, continuing our stellar play at the position.  Being 1 of 6 liberos in the top 150 HS players is an awesome accomplishment, and kudos to Avery for continuing to get solid recruits at a vital position!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/volleyball/news/2012-13/12397/incoming-freshman-longoria-earns-all-american-honor/
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

Yes, covufan, it's tough being separated by great distance and to see the facebook postings of that 6'4" Oklahoma VB player and know she came from great VU parents (well at least the Mom). :) :)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpotx

Just looked this up on Oklahoma's page, and congrats to her/her parents. 

However, as a Texan of the last 24 years, I have to say 'BOOOOOOO OKLAHOMA ANYTHING!!'  Interesting to see Coppell having won a state title in volleyball in 2011 with her on the team.  I didn't mind Coppell when we played against them in baseball, as we always beat them at CHHS  :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on February 15, 2013, 01:58:38 PM
Yes, covufan, it's tough being separated by great distance and to see the facebook postings of that 6'4" Oklahoma VB player and know she came from great VU parents (well at least the Mom). :) :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fun at the game!

valpotx

Though she is not a Texan, it is neat to see that we signed someone that played at least one year here.  Horseshoe Bay is a resort area, so I wonder if her parents did something in that industry.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/volleyball/news/2012-13/12456/crusaders-add-chittum-to-2013-incoming-class/
"Don't mess with Texas"

original sin

From what I have heard there are two verbal commits for the class of 2014.

original sin

Schedule is out. Looks like a little bit tougher out of conference teams this year as compared to last.

LaPorteAveApostle

original sin

More additions to the staff.

Seems to be taking steps to upgrade the program. Look for the team to be an almost concensus pick to be the favorite to win the league this year.

valpotx

I wouldn't imagine that we would be picked first.  It seems like Milwaukee and CSU are always picked ahead of us regardless of who they lose each year
"Don't mess with Texas"

original sin

Wondering if having seven women ariving next year, how many will be red shirted, if any? Having 16 on the roster is too many?  ???

valpotx

It looks like we received 4 quality signees for next season!  Hopefully they help us return to the NCAA tournament for the first time in 10 years!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/volleyball/news/2013-14/13211/volleyball-adds-four-for-2014-season/
"Don't mess with Texas"