• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon in the CIT

Started by IndyValpo, March 16, 2013, 06:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

Looks like Green Bay, UIC and Youngstown have already accepted bids into the CIT.

http://www.bankrollsports.com/blog/cit-bracketology/

StlVUFan

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 16, 2013, 06:35:26 PM
Looks like Green Bay, UIC and Youngstown have already accepted bids into the CIT.

http://www.bankrollsports.com/blog/cit-bracketology/

Apparently, YSU is already slated to host Oakland.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 16, 2013, 06:35:26 PM/cit-bracketology/

it's official.  there really IS a blog about everything.

is the CBI considered a notch above the CIT? 

relatively speaking of course?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

ValpoHoops

The CIT is for the mid-majors (no BCS teams allowed), and teams must have winning records...not sure if that makes it "better" or not.

The CIT also doesn't use a true bracket format, nor do they "seed" the teams. They schedule the 16 first round games, and use geography as much as possible to cut travel. Then, they take the 16 remaining teams and "reset" the field, and so on. Bit strange, but it helps the teams not travel all over the place.

valpotx

Didn't realize that this was YSU's first ever men's basketball postseason appearance since moving to D-1 in 1981-1982...congrats to them!
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Yeah, they seemed pretty excited about going to the postseason, period.  And they announced the CIT _really_ early.

(Checking the time stamp.)

http://www.wkbn.com/content/sports/local/story/YSU-Men-Accept-CIT-Bid/RP74oHcexEigG7rwd8bGyw.cspx

Yeah, it was before the HL tourney was even over.  The morning of the title game.

Wright State will host a CBI game, and with Detroit picking up one of the last NIT bids it's a record six horizon league teams in the post-season.  (Six of nine!  Have we made it to the college bowl game level yet?).  This is the third consecutive year where that record's been broken.

agibson

Aw, man, _Chicago State_ is in the post-season?  Playing at UIC tomorrow in the CIT?

That is so wrong!

valpotx

I imagine that it is their first postseason appearance as well?  With an amazing record of 11-21  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

Well they did win their conference tournament!  :lol:
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

agibson

Ah, right, thanks!  It's the auto-bid!  I'd forgotten all about it.

That tournament was 2 of their 7 D1 wins!

So, lucky UIC drew Chicago State, the auto-bid.  Does this somehow mean that UIC's the top overall seed? ;)

(I can well guess geography mattered here.)

Kyle321n

Quote from: agibson on March 19, 2013, 04:53:22 PMAh, right, thanks!  It's the auto-bid!  I'd forgotten all about it. That tournament was 2 of their 7 D1 wins! So, lucky UIC drew Chicago State, the auto-bid.  Does this somehow mean that UIC's the top overall seed? ;) (I can well guess geography mattered here.)

Geography only matters in the CIT.  The first 2 "rounds" you play the team geographically closest to you. Then they move it to an actual bracket
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

wh

Congratulations to the Penguins, 99-87 winners over Oakland!  Perry (31 points) and Allen (27 points) had huge games for YSU. 

Nice tournament win for the Horizon League.

agibson

Well done!  And it moves our RPI rank to 57!  (OK - Kentucky's dropping a game at home to Robert Morris might have had something to do with that too.)

Wait, I take it back!  Rupp arena was busy getting ready to host NCAA games, so #1 seed Kentucky had to play on the road, and lost!

wh

Two more nice wins for the league tonight:

CIT: Bradley 75, Green Bay 69

CIT: UIC 80, Chicago State 69

CBI: Wright State 72, Tulsa 52

Congratulations to the Raiders and Flames!

agibson

Home teams holding court so far.  Including Detroit getting _stomped_ (in the first half) at Arizona State.

wh

In the NIT Detroit is getting destroyed by Arizona State at halftime 46-27.

They have been called for a whopping 16 fouls and are being out rebounded 27-6.  They're 6-27 shooting and 0-9 from 3.  If not for 12 ASU TO's, the score could be even worse.

wh

The Titans are making a nice comeback early in the 2nd half.

oklahomamick

reminds me of our nit game last year in miami. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Yep, it just wasn't their night, but they did play a lot better in the 2nd half.

valpotx

I bet Richie Edwards enjoyed watching that game  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Looks like Wright State, hosting Richmond tonight in the quarterfinals of the CBI, is the last Horizon League team standing.

Is the game not even on HLN?   I'm surprised that they're going audio-only in the post-season, after recording their first ever post-season win.  I probably would have flipped it on.

agibson

Ah, OK - looks like it probably _will_ be on HLN.

Richmond links it.  As does the Horizon League.

http://www.horizonleague.org/live/8641

Not sure why Wright State doesn't seem to.

StlVUFan

The Detroit Lady Titans are still alive in the WBI, as well, having won twice.

agibson

Wright State's going to the CBI semi-finals, knocking off Richomnd (middle of the pack A-10, RPI 85) 57-51.

They could see (re-seeded) Santa Clara, the winner of Western Michigan @ Wyoming, or the winner of Houston @ George Mason (which just went into overtime) in the semi-final on Wednesday.

I wonder what they do if _none_ of the teams wants to put up the money to host the semi-final?  Sort of a reverse auction?  Or maybe they're already contractually agreed.

wh

Quote from: agibson on March 25, 2013, 08:14:15 PM
Wright State's going to the CBI semi-finals, knocking off Richomnd (middle of the pack A-10, RPI 85) 57-51.

They could see (re-seeded) Santa Clara, the winner of Western Michigan @ Wyoming, or the winner of Houston @ George Mason (which just went into overtime) in the semi-final on Wednesday.

I wonder what they do if _none_ of the teams wants to put up the money to host the semi-final?  Sort of a reverse auction?  Or maybe they're already contractually agreed.

Congratulations to the Raiders!  Keep it going!