• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Spring football roster?

Started by IndyValpo, March 25, 2013, 07:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

Has anyone seen it? 

The amount of information that can be found out about our football team is sad.

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 25, 2013, 07:53:48 AM
Has anyone seen it? 

Does Valpo still have a football team? I thought that was the best kept secret next to is Bryce coming back as Valpo's basketball coach?

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 25, 2013, 07:53:48 AM
Has anyone seen it? 

If you are thinking about a roster comprised of the incoming freshman, that won't be available for sometime.  Deposits have to be made before any info can be posted.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

I'd like to see a roster of players who will be out for spring ball myself. Gives us an idea of any transfers or players who decided they are done playing football. I'm not worried about incoming freshmen, even with the tide of high school seniors graduating in December to start their college careers a semester early, for the sake of time learning the playbook and getting ready for the fall with a full spring season of practices and weight work or whatever. I hope for a couple of wins this season, don't care who we get those wins against, just that we get a couple of wins in 2013.

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

I don't recall a spring FB roster (i.e., returning players only w/o new incoming freshmen) being published in the past.  But there was a total of, I believe, 74 or maybe 77 players who were mentioned in a FB Tweet -- but no names.  Most other PFL teams, with the exception of Mercer and Stetson (It's their Fall roster cuz they are all Freshmen or Sophs and haven't played a game yet) have not released a spring-only roster either to my knowledge.

This kid sounds like good news:

Remy Linares OL/DL:  6-5, 275.  Team went 15-0 in California his junior year. 

Hudl clips:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/93880/highlights/22831374

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on March 25, 2013, 01:54:09 PM
This has more to do with football recruiting by got this in my email Saturday. http://northridge.patch.com/articles/remy-linares-signs-with-valparaiso-university
Head Coach Jon Ellinghouse said of Linares, "I am very proud of Remy. He is going to an academic school that plays at a great level of football."

Does his coach mean a level of football that is better than the high school level? Is he trying to get a job at Valpo? What level of football is lower than the level that Valpo plays at?

valporun

Maybe he's saying that Linares is going to a great level of football that is more focused on academics, and less on the conveyor belt of football prospects that the top D-I schools produce?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on March 25, 2013, 02:17:59 PMWhat level of football is lower than the level that Valpo plays at?

um...D2?  D3?  NAIA?  this is too easy, right?  (looking around for trap)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

That's what I wuddah said.  probably not good enough for BCS or FCS scholarship, but better than D-II or lower.

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 25, 2013, 03:03:23 PM
Quote from: bbtds on March 25, 2013, 02:17:59 PMWhat level of football is lower than the level that Valpo plays at?

um...D2?  D3?  NAIA?  this is too easy, right?  (looking around for trap)

laura

bbtds... Keep your jagoff comments to yourself. "Is there still a team?" "What level?" DIVISION I that's the level. I know you never played but these kids are playing. Go cheer for Butler.

laura

BTW to all... Spring rosters are usually available at the Saturday scrimmages.

VULB#62

Be great if someone could grab one and either upload it to the forum or rekey it into a forum post.  There are those of us who are curious about who's returning.  ............and we are about 5-6 weeks away from the recruiting class roster release (if past practice hold true to form).

talksalot

Come on out to Brown Field... 11:00am Saturday April 20th for the Brown-Gold Spring Football Game.   We can all find out together!

usc4valpo

Quote from: laura on March 26, 2013, 10:35:30 PMbbtds... Keep your jagoff comments to yourself. "Is there still a team?" "What level?" DIVISION I that's the level. I know you never played but these kids are playing. Go cheer for Butler.
laura, lighten up.  Correct me if I am wrong, you were slamming Carlson a few months ago.  Valpo football is brutal and you might as well smile.

laura

I'm light USC....I'm just tired of all the smarmy smart ass comments on this thread.I'll go away and you guys can keep bad mouthing the players. Have fun.

usc4valpo

????
Quote from: laura on March 27, 2013, 09:57:32 PMI'm light USC....I'm just tired of all the smarmy smart ass comments on this thread.I'll go away and you guys can keep bad mouthing the players. Have fun.
???????. I do not think the players are being bashed.  The overall team is, as it should be with a 2-31 record over 3 years.  There is a tremendously embarrasing stakeholder, coaching and adminstrative problem that is not being properly fixed.  When you are this bad, jokes and bad one liners will come out. 

FloridaFootball

Laura, I am with you. We all know what has happened the last few years. We know where the program is, but for the players sake, my sons sake, I will watch and observe what happens this season. Its a new season, everyone is  0 - 0 at this point. See you at the Spring Game. 62, see you at the Marist game in October. 

FloridaFootball

The players are committed, my son played with a fractured wrist in a cast for 5 games, and I know of other players that were banged up as well. They want to win. Hopefully the hard off season work will pay off along with some hopefully talented incoming freshman.

Happy Easter to you all and I hope that I get a chance to meet all of you in person after a Valpo vicotry next season!

VULB#62

The core of returnees are now going into their third season and that includes the QB. It's time to play with confidence and a chip on the shoulder. Florida I'll sitting on the berm behind the Valpo bench at Marist. 

usc4valpo

Quote from: FloridaFootball on March 28, 2013, 09:49:26 PMThe players are committed, my son played with a fractured wrist in a cast for 5 games, and I know of other players that were banged up as well. They want to win. Hopefully the hard off season work will pay off along with some hopefully talented incoming freshman. Happy Easter to you all and I hope that I get a chance to meet all of you in person after a Valpo vicotry next season!
As long as we are objective on this topic, that's fine.  My concern is how commiteed Valpo is in football.  If they were, a coach with a 2-31 record would not be around.

jimdandy

Laura and Florida Football
I don't think anyone is trying to bash your kids
You and your sons commitments both financially and time wise put into playing football is commendable
I think most people ....probably like yourselves are just disappointed with the direction of the program
2 wins in 3 years is unacceptable and anything less than 5 or 6 this year should be considered a disappointment
There seem to be a lot of returners on the team so if they are going to be better,this should be the year

willy

Why is there no mention of the April 20th spring game on the Valpo athletic website?  Every school on the Pioneer Football league website except Valpo and Marist have a story or even video building excitement for their programs.  Valpo is also one of the only schools with last years schedule and not the current seasons schedule up.  I'm sure Coach Carlson is more worried about getting this years team prepared and ready for the upcoming season than anything else.  Valpo's athletic department needs to step up their game!  If its a staffing issue couldn't a sports management or marketing class take over the web design as a project?  This might seem small but look at the PFL champions websites and see how marketing a team should be done! Lets go, Take some pride in our school!!!

IndyValpo

Quote from: willy on April 02, 2013, 09:26:57 AMWhy is there no mention of the April 20th spring game on the Valpo athletic website?  Every school on the Pioneer Football league website except Valpo and Marist have a story or even video building excitement for their programs.  Valpo is also one of the only schools with last years schedule and not the current seasons schedule up.  I'm sure Coach Carlson is more worried about getting this years team prepared and ready for the upcoming season than anything else.  Valpo's athletic department needs to step up their game!  If its a staffing issue couldn't a sports management or marketing class take over the web design as a project?  This might seem small but look at the PFL champions websites and see how marketing a team should be done! Lets go, Take some pride in our school!!!
Willy, you are correct. Our website is sad and has been for some time.  We have a section called media guides and everything there is old.  The baseball version is 2010. Some sports we have replaced these within their respective pages but that is spotty at best.  A recruit looking for information will not be impressed.

valporun

When our sports information department consisted of two very overworked/overstretched full-timers, and maybe one or two GAs/interns, what do you expect? I mean for most of this year, the sports info work was all Aaron Leavitt, now he has two GAs to help with some of the work, but they also have course work to do as well. Hopefully, the AD is looking around for another full-timer or two who can help Aaron on a regular basis. Can't expect to man a sports information department on one person's shoulders, with 19 sports to be dedicating time to. Also, we're now into a situation where many of our sports aren't just playing on the weekends. How often do you see the weekly schedule with multiple sports playing in one day? That's a lot of sports to cover at home, or on the road, to get all that information uploaded, commented on, and posted to the website, while also having to get media pieces put together for that day's game(s). I can't imagine this time of year is easy to work when you have baseball, softball, tennis, track, golf, all going, and having games at home to prepare for. Other schools have more than three people working in the sports info department, and definitely more than one full-timer.