• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Death of Prof. Sponberg

Started by valpopal, August 08, 2013, 09:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

I regret to report that Prof. Arvid "Gus" Sponberg of the English Department died suddenly of a heart attack Tuesday night. I know some on this board have known Gus as I did, as a good friend; but also you may have known him as an avid supporter of VU Sports. In fact, Gus served as the announcer for football games at Brown Field for a number of years. Some on the board also may have been in his classes. I spoke to him on Tuesday, and he was looking forward to his fall courses and the new season of sports.

Therefore, I thought I'd pass along this sad news and the following information. For those in the area, services have now been set for 11 a.m. Saturday (8/10) at Christ Lutheran Church in Valparaiso. Visitation will be at the church from 9 - 11 a.m. prior to the service. A campus memorial service is being planned for Nov. 8, Gus's birthday. President Heckler will release an official announcement soon.

Valparaiso University has lost one of its finest.

valporun

I didn't have Professor Sponberg for English, but I do remember avidly seeing him bike to campus or around campus, as it was more cost effective and easier to park a bike than drive around on a $100+ parking sticker in what few parking spots were made available to faculty close to the building they taught in.

talksalot

The archives office did some research through the football media guides.  Gus was the PA announcer for football from 1982 thru 1996.  Gus will be sorely missed as a fixture on campus since the early 70s.  I saw him at lunch in the union on Tuesday.   Please keep Bonnie in your prayers.

agibson

Here's the note that went out to campus - with a few more details about Saturday, and the November plans (mostly that they're TBA).

TO:           Campus Community

DATE:           August 8, 2013
      RE:           The Passing of Arvid F. "Gus" Sponberg

It saddens me to inform you that Arvid F. "Gus" Sponberg, age 68, professor of English, and father of Erica Sponberg, lecturer in English, passed away Wednesday, August 7, 2013.

A visitation will be held from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m., Saturday, August 10, 2013, at Christ Lutheran Church, 2610 N. Campbell Street, Valparaiso, Indiana (219.462.6660).  A memorial service will be held from 11:00 a.m. to noon, Saturday, August 10, at Christ Lutheran Church with a luncheon to follow.

Memorials may be made to Valparaiso University in Arvid's name.

For those who cannot attend the Saturday services, there will be a memorial celebration on November 8, 2013.  Announcements will be made at a later date.

Please remember Gus' wife, Bonnie, Erica, and their extended family in your prayers as they mourn their loss.

MAH/tb

Gus was a good friend of the Department of Physics and Astronomy.  He was one of the most frequent faculty members (or maybe any non-departmental person, period) not from our department in attendance at our weekly colloquiua.  Definitely an active and curious mind.  I think he was even at my job talk.  He was one of the members of the faculty most frequently seen in the Union dining room.  An excellent lector in church as well.  He will certainly be missed.

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on August 08, 2013, 06:31:48 PMThe archives office did some research through the football media guides.  Gus was the PA announcer for football from 1982 thru 1996.  Gus will be sorely missed as a fixture on campus since the early 70s.  I saw him at lunch in the union on Tuesday.   Please keep Bonnie in your prayers.
Since 1972 I heard. Was Sponberg the Valpo employee with the longest tenure? 42 years is a very long career with the same employer.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

John was a good friend of mine, and Erica was in my sister's HS class.  I can't imagine what they must be going through.

What a man.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa